Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2011, 12:30 AM   #91
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I said it before. I'll say it again. The expansion did not NEED equal time. It WAS equal time.
My kids and I have been watching the official announcement and subsequent rumors with great interest, and it has gone from "Wow" to "Eh" in my mind as the rumor mill has more and more of the interesting features of the expansion scaled back or cut out.

And as far as balance goes, puh-leeze - we're talking about a park where you can hop a boat with pirates, ride no less than FOUR outer-space themed attractions, cruise through the jungle, and ride a runaway train. What can you do with the princesses other than eat and shop? Neither of the two massively popular "girl" franchises - princesses or fairies - have even one marquee attraction, and in fact between the two they only represent two rides - the carousel and Snow White - one of which is terrifying for many girls in the prime princess age range.

I am glad to see that ToonTown is closing before we go, though. As a mom of girls, I absolutely hate the "stand in line in the gift shop" routine for the meet & greets. Even my kids, who generally don't get the gimmies, can get pretty annoying while standing in the longest queue of the whole trip with nothing to do but look around at thousands of things marketed directly to them.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:54 AM   #92
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessArlena'sDad View Post
Once Star Tours reopens, the RD rush will split between this and TSM.
I'd like to think it would help, but I think once the excitement of the new opening is over and everyone has done it once, it will have absolutely zero effect on TSM. I don't recall every having much trouble with riding Star Tours standby. And while it's ok for girls, they just don't have the drive to do it that little boys do. TSM cuts across gender lines.

The biggest problem with DHS is that it's mostly shows. And while people will do rides over and over (on a given trip, or from trip to trip) they don't always care to do the shows over. While we see BATB every trip, we just hit the others every few trips. The result is that they don't soak up enough people that way. While Disney is not as ride focused as some parks, people do want a certain number of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofEeyore26 View Post
Rumors are there is going to be a press event on tuesday after mk closing to announce all the updated FLE changes (such as snow white removal, mine coaster, circus land).
Honestly, after the last fiasco....... I'm not going to pay a lot of attention to big announcements from Disney on the expansion. I now know it's all subject to change at the whim of a new executive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
Neither of the two massively popular "girl" franchises - princesses or fairies - have even one marquee attraction, and in fact between the two they only represent two rides - the carousel and Snow White - one of which is terrifying for many girls in the prime princess age range.

I am glad to see that ToonTown is closing before we go, though. As a mom of girls, I absolutely hate the "stand in line in the gift shop" routine for the meet & greets. Even my kids, who generally don't get the gimmies, can get pretty annoying while standing in the longest queue of the whole trip with nothing to do but look around at thousands of things marketed directly to them.
And even the carousel has been renamed after Prince Charming. We should have taken that as an omen. I thought it was odd when they announced it, but it was apparently indicative of their whole new approach.

I'm TOTALLY in agreement on not wanting to stand in line in a gift shop. I really wish they would be out around the park. Even if I'm not getting in line to see a particular character, I love seeing them there. I think they add a lot of life to the scenery.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2011, 09:12 AM   #93
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

we've never stood in line for any meet and greet. when dd started coming with us we found it easier to book a meal and any of the character breakfast's or dinners killing 2 birds with 1 stone. meet and meal.

now after hearing that what will end up being the longest wait time has to go through a gift show i'm glad, so glad that we started that routine.

there is NO WAY you're see me standing in line in a gift shop to stand there and say no no no no no no no to my dd for the entire wait time. and now we're expecting baby #2 it would be twice as insane to listen to it.

i get the gift shop at the end of rides but come on - that's just pure torture for parents. good money making for them considering a lot of parents will give in and buy something for their child.
Kurby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #94
Thumper_ehhhhh
Better to have been tagged and lost, than to never have been tagged at all
Looping all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessArlena'sDad View Post
For the obsessed here on the Dis, yes.

For the general public: they aren't going to plan a vacation 2 yrs ahead when they don't even know what's going to be there.

Well, some do this anyway (looking at the "funniest things I've heard" thread")
What you mean there are some people who dont live on the disboards, how shocking . lol . I love that funniest thread too.
2003 Sierra crewcab 4x4 burbs replacement.
2005 Kodiak 25QB HTT
DD DS DW and Myself
Proud member of
Team Focker Watch.
Fort Fiends. Long live the Musket
Thumper_ehhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #95
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

I know there has been some negativity towards the Rapunzel and Flynn "play n greet" especially knowing that Disney seems to want to go more in this direction for the new Fantasyland Expansion (FLE).

Now the concerns have hit the Orlando Sentinel:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/disney-a-mom-and-the-mouse/2011/01/tangled-play-and-greet-at-magic-kingdom-didnt-live-up-to-our-expectations/

The interesting part, the comments seem to disagree and indicate their children loved the experience. I find it fascinating that there is such a wide range of reactions to the new format. I'm curious to see how it all pans out down the road with the FLE.
Berlioz70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #96
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlioz70 View Post
I know there has been some negativity towards the Rapunzel and Flynn "play n greet" especially knowing that Disney seems to want to go more in this direction for the new Fantasyland Expansion (FLE).

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/disney-a-mom-and-the-mouse/2011/01/tangled-play-and-greet-at-magic-kingdom-didnt-live-up-to-our-expectations/

The interesting part, the comments seem to disagree and indicate their children loved the experience. I find it fascinating that there is such a wide range of reactions to the new format. I'm curious to see how it all pans out down the road with the FLE.
I SWEAR it wasn't me!!!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #97
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurby View Post
now after hearing that what will end up being the longest wait time has to go through a gift show i'm glad, so glad that we started that routine.

there is NO WAY you're see me standing in line in a gift shop to stand there and say no no no no no no no to my dd for the entire wait time. and now we're expecting baby #2 it would be twice as insane to listen to it.

i get the gift shop at the end of rides but come on - that's just pure torture for parents. good money making for them considering a lot of parents will give in and buy something for their child.
Exactly. We do the character meals for the ones we can, at the bare minimum one Mickey & friends and one Princesses since Pooh & friends and the other less popular characters are easier to find in the parks with shorter lines, but my girls LOVE Tink so we just HAD to do that long ridiculous line.

If ever there were characters popular enough to warrant a ridiculously overpriced buffet the fairies are it; maybe instead of 7 princess meals they could change just one of them over to Tink & friends. I'd much rather pay big bucks for a meal than stand in that gift shop endlessly saying no to a bunch of junk we don't need!

Old 01-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #98
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Exactly. We do the character meals for the ones we can, at the bare minimum one Mickey & friends and one Princesses since Pooh & friends and the other less popular characters are easier to find in the parks with shorter lines, but my girls LOVE Tink so we just HAD to do that long ridiculous line.

If ever there were characters popular enough to warrant a ridiculously overpriced buffet the fairies are it; maybe instead of 7 princess meals they could change just one of them over to Tink & friends. I'd much rather pay big bucks for a meal than stand in that gift shop endlessly saying no to a bunch of junk we don't need!
I would think a fairy meal would be SO popular! I used to think it had to to with the fact that they couldn't do the "shrinking" thing like they do at PH, but that's over now anyway. It sounds like the meet & greets will just be at full size ..... So why NOT do a meal? They really do need a little more variety in their character meals.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #99
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

They may be able to keep the shrinking idea at Norway. If they enclose the entrance just a little (put of a curtain) you could shrink right there and then go around the corner to find Tink.

I think that would be a great idea!

I wonder if the fairies do not have a meal because the wings are hard to navigate through close areas with food!
Berlioz70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #100
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They may be able to keep the shrinking idea at Norway. If they enclose the entrance just a little (put of a curtain) you could shrink right there and then go around the corner to find Tink.

I wonder if the fairies do not have a meal because the wings are hard to navigate through close areas with food!
Interesting thought on both counts!

Regardless, I'd still like to see them try some new character meals out.

Why they haven't done something Pixar at DHS is just beyond me!

Or maybe some sort of pot luck meal, not the food, but the characters. I know at Disneyland, they have a couple meals that have sort of a surprise assortment of characters, and it's a lot of fun to see who shows up!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #101
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Quote:

oh i so agree with this. our last trip was the first time that dd noticed that Ariel at the castle wasn't the same Ariel in Epcot.

Therefore Disney has now lost us for having 2 or more princess meals so we'll just be going to the castle.

if they had a tink and friends meal we'd go but not another princess meal.
Kurby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #102
ipodluvr287
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'd like to think it would help, but I think once the excitement of the new opening is over and everyone has done it once, it will have absolutely zero effect on TSM. I don't recall every having much trouble with riding Star Tours standby. And while it's ok for girls, they just don't have the drive to do it that little boys do. TSM cuts across gender lines.

The biggest problem with DHS is that it's mostly shows. And while people will do rides over and over (on a given trip, or from trip to trip) they don't always care to do the shows over. While we see BATB every trip, we just hit the others every few trips. The result is that they don't soak up enough people that way. While Disney is not as ride focused as some parks, people do want a certain number of them.

Honestly, after the last fiasco....... I'm not going to pay a lot of attention to big announcements from Disney on the expansion. I now know it's all subject to change at the whim of a new executive.

And even the carousel has been renamed after Prince Charming. We should have taken that as an omen. I thought it was odd when they announced it, but it was apparently indicative of their whole new approach.

I'm TOTALLY in agreement on not wanting to stand in line in a gift shop. I really wish they would be out around the park. Even if I'm not getting in line to see a particular character, I love seeing them there. I think they add a lot of life to the scenery.
Exactly. When I was a little girl, I didn't give a crap about Star Tours, so we didn't ride it. In fact, I've never ridden it becuase both time I've been after that, it was closed.

I think it is wierd that they renamed it to Prince Charming's carousel, when typically carousels are a little girl thing. Plus, the castle is Cinderella's, so it would make sense that that is also her carousel.

I don't like the whole Toontown setup anyway, especially having to wait in those small buildings with long lines to see your favorite characters. I wish you could see the characters roaming the parks a bit more like the ones at Disneyland. I would love to see Cinderella actually greet near HER castle, along with Prince Charming. We need to see the princes a bit more. The only can see is Aladdin, except for special events. Maybe that would throw in that extra appeal for boys that they seem to oh so need. Instead of just meeting a princess, the boys could see the princes too. I agree, it does add to the scenery and surroundings.

Quote:

I don't like the idea of having to wait in line and color if you want to meet them. That just adds on extra wait time and it is quite unpleasant to have to sit through if you are an adult or teenager wanting to meet Rapunzel and Flynn. I'd rather just wait in line and get it over with.

Quote:
I would think a fairy meal would be SO popular! I used to think it had to to with the fact that they couldn't do the "shrinking" thing like they do at PH, but that's over now anyway. It sounds like the meet & greets will just be at full size ..... So why NOT do a meal? They really do need a little more variety in their character meals.
That would be quite popular. They really do need to replace the dumb Playhouse Disney characters at Hollywood and Vine. I'm still hoping for a Peter Pan themed meal (that would include Tinkerbell, the only fairy Icare about), but fairies would be the next best thing I guess.

Quote:

The wing thing would make sense. When I met the fairies I did not realize how big their wings are until I got around to Vidia. I was trying to put my arm around her for a picture and I bumped right into her wings and they were quite large.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #103
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm a bit of a cynic, I guess... I think the reason they don't do another character meal is all about $$$. A fairy (or Pixar) meal would be popular, but it wouldn't be new money coming in - it would mostly be people choosing that over another dining experience. So there's no profit incentive to it; guests are already eating their meals on property without the draw of more character meal options, so there's no profit incentive to add the expenses that go along with character meals. It has been a long time since Disney added a character meal (the audio-animatronic Remy not withstanding) and in fact have eliminated a couple (Garden Grill lunch, Liberty Tree Tavern dinner).

Old 01-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #104
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:

I was thinking te exact same thing.

Another thought I had is why didn't they turn the carrosel into a Mary Poppins them instead. To me that would make more since than Cinderella or Prince Charming.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #105
Thumper_ehhhhh
Better to have been tagged and lost, than to never have been tagged at all
Looping all the way

Forget the curtians. Make a building winthin a building. The windows on the inside look out into the outter building with live video footage on big screens of whats going on outside of the outter building to make it seem like your really tiny.
2003 Sierra crewcab 4x4 burbs replacement.
2005 Kodiak 25QB HTT
DD DS DW and Myself
Proud member of
Team Focker Watch.
Fort Fiends. Long live the Musket
Thumper_ehhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: