Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #3496
mbrou24
Theme Park Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley1968

How? Is the track supposed to move somehow?

I guess there's a reason it's taking so long to build, because I'm dumbfounded as to how they'd achieve that, safely, on a tracked ride.
From what I gather the cart sits on the track and the seat part of it is elevated and held in on the sides
mbrou24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #3497
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
For most of these questions, stay tuned.

For now, I'm assuming Belle will not be at Princess Fairytale Hall.

Beast can only be seen at BOG for dinner.
I agree, Belle probably won't be in the mix at Fairytale hall. From what I understand, she's pretty busy over at ETWB. You can get a photo with Belle after the show, but only if you participate in the show, and no group photos.

She signs in her blue in France at Epcot.

She also signs in her yellow at Akershus in Epcot. While she is quite regular there, she is not guaranteed though. On rare occasion, she might not be there.

Nobody knows for sure how Fairytale Hall will work. I have feared all along that they might do "princess roulette" where you could get any combination of possible princesses. Only you wouldn't know when you enter the line who you would see. This gives them maximum staffing flexibility, but gives us the guests maximum frustration. It was like that for some time at DL and drove me nuts.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #3498
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
There was a video on it a while back. It seems the car was sort of a swing on a track. As you move along the track, the car stays firmly attached to the rail, but the swinging action kicks in and it probably feels like it's tipping off the track. It really looks pretty cool.
Ahh, so the whole thing sways, including rails? Sounds neat. If you could see cars in front of you swaying differently from you, that would be awesome, too.

So basically, the floor the tracks are on isn't in a fixed position, at least in parts of the ride. That's still going to be an engineering feat if pulled off.

Sorry to argue the point, but I was just puzzled by the "how" of getting a tracked ride to sway. The easier way would have been to simply have the cars hang, a la Peter Pan (or some other thrill rides in other parks), but that wouldn't have exactly gone with the theming of a mine train.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #3499
Dan Murphy
We are family.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km_XfIrLqzM

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #3500
angelmichelle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I agree, Belle probably won't be in the mix at Fairytale hall. From what I understand, she's pretty busy over at ETWB. You can get a photo with Belle after the show, but only if you participate in the show, and no group photos.

She signs in her blue in France at Epcot.

She also signs in her yellow at Akershus in Epcot. While she is quite regular there, she is not guaranteed though. On rare occasion, she might not be there.

Nobody knows for sure how Fairytale Hall will work. I have feared all along that they might do "princess roulette" where you could get any combination of possible princesses. Only you wouldn't know when you enter the line who you would see. This gives them maximum staffing flexibility, but gives us the guests maximum frustration. It was like that for some time at DL and drove me nuts.
We're planning on ETWB so I'm pleased about her doing pictures with those who participate. Are adults discouraged to participate, though? (well, it'd be two young adults)

I really hope it's not roulette style.
That would be just cruel.

angelmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #3501
jdcthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmichelle

We're planning on ETWB so I'm pleased about her doing pictures with those who participate. Are adults discouraged to participate, though? (well, it'd be two young adults)
Not at all! From what I've seen, all ages are encouraged to participate.
Polynesian 2006
Wilderness Lodge 2005/06
jdcthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #3502
map57
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley1968 View Post
Ahh, so the whole thing sways, including rails? Sounds neat. If you could see cars in front of you swaying differently from you, that would be awesome, too.

So basically, the floor the tracks are on isn't in a fixed position, at least in parts of the ride. That's still going to be an engineering feat if pulled off.
The track (rails) won't move at all.... It is a car that will swing on a pivot in the front and back of the car if what I see is correct. So as the entire train turns to the left, the car will "swing" out to the right and so on.

Think of it this way....a 5 gallon bucket.....the handle of the bucket is on the bottom though and connected to the track. You are sitting in the bucket. So the handle is fixed as it goes along, but the bucket can sway back and forth as you go into turns.

Hope this hasn't been even more confusing .

Last edited by map57; 01-04-2013 at 02:49 PM.
map57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #3503
angelmichelle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcthree View Post
Not at all! From what I've seen, all ages are encouraged to participate.
That's so awesome to hear. Thank you!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #3504
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Sorry to argue the point, but I was just puzzled by the "how" of getting a tracked ride to sway. The easier way would have been to simply have the cars hang, a la Peter Pan (or some other thrill rides in other parks), but that wouldn't have exactly gone with the theming of a mine train.
This shows what I was trying to explain. Watch the whole thing. You'll see the cars move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTyOITQmpsg
Old 01-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #3505
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmichelle View Post

I really hope it's not roulette style.
That would be just cruel.
They won't say "you need to participate to get a photo" but you sort of do.

But there are enough "part" for pretty much everyone. So when they say "does everyone who wants a part have one" be sure to raise your hand if you want. If you both participate, you'll both get a photo, just not together.

And I'm with you on roulette concerns. The smaller the number of princesses they have slated to be in there, the more hopeful I'd be they don't do it that way.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #3506
angelmichelle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
This shows what I was trying to explain. Watch the whole thing. You'll see the cars move.

Them riding on the back of that truck was so amusing! I'm really excited.

Any projective opening dates?

Old 01-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #3507
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:

Ahh, very cool. For anyone else watching, right about the 1:00 mark is where they show the ride vehicle, with the swinging rider section (it swings left to right on the longitudinal axis) on top of the fixed rail bottom portion. Thanks for posting that.

As for projected opening dates, all I've seen so far is "sometime in 2014". I bet it's well into the year, too, since right now they've just begun putting rail in, from the photos I've seen recently.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #3508
angelmichelle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
As for projected opening dates, all I've seen so far is "sometime in 2014". I bet it's well into the year, too, since right now they've just begun putting rail in, from the photos I've seen recently.
I was hoping it'd be open early 2014 - right before the summer crowds. We're going in May and would love to ride it. Buuuut, I'm not betting on it. It would just be nice.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #3509
mbrou24
Theme Park Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmichelle

I was hoping it'd be open early 2014 - right before the summer crowds. We're going in May and would love to ride it. Buuuut, I'm not betting on it. It would just be nice.
I've heard spring 2014
mbrou24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #3510
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrou24

I've heard spring 2014
I've heard that too, but I've heard only 2014 from Disney itself.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: