Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #2761
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
You know, the old Belle's Storytime had a lot fewer kids involved. Maybe just 4 or 5. We saw that many times through the years and I never saw a kid have a meltdown.

my dd had mini melt downs but got over it quick. we are never close enough to get picked for anything because most of the time i'm not willing to wait for over an hour

the latest was at flights of wonder in july. she wanted to feed the birds and got upset only girl got picked.

i told her we were too far away and she asked if we could sit closer when we go in Dec. all i could say is we'll try. then she talked to the trainer and told him she was sad she didn't get picked but we were coming back in dec. asked if he would be there and when he said yes she said "well could you remember me and pick me if we sit close?" he laughed and said he would try but couldn't promise

it was a cute conversation
Kurby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #2762
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ses1230 View Post
I enetered my email and it said "You have joined the hero's journey and will be informed when the time has arrived" Is it some sort of contest?
Likely.

My guess?

You win a trip to the grand opening of FLE and get to help "open" the new land.

But it's just a random, unsubstantiated, guess.

It could very well be one of those games as sweepstakes (like they've done with the cruise lines in the past), and the curse/hero bits are just part of the theme of the game.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #2763
Queen2PrincessG
DIS Veteran

The kids who will have the meltdowns will be ok. It's a life lesson that you can't get everything you want, even at Disney. As long as the parents don't enable them, it should be fine.

A BIG problem is often that parents set their kids up to believe they are going to get picked for something and then when they don't it's meltdown city. Soon the 'trophy for participating" children will understand that not everyone can be picked.

I'm really interested in seeing how fast pass or AAA special seating will work for this.

Queen2PrincessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #2764
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

I think I am confusing myself now..

Are the other circus tents with the circus characters- Minnie, Daisy, etc, and the other tent with the food in it opening when everything else opens on Nov 19th or will they open sooner???

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #2765
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
I want to be a hero too... maybe it will be a free trip to Disney
Old 09-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #2766
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
I want to be a hero too... maybe it will be a free trip to Disney
"Wouldn't you like to be a hero, too?
Be a hero
Be be a hero"

Sorry...the Dr. Pepper jingle is forever stuck in my head.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #2767
jdcthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alli76 View Post

2) I would hate having to deal with my dissapointed child if one or both of them don't get picked to participate. I mean waiting on a huge long line and then not getting to even take a picture with Belle at the end. That is harsh!
In the video on easyWDW, the wardrobe and the CM asked if everyone had a part that wanted one.
Polynesian 2006
Wilderness Lodge 2005/06
jdcthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #2768
twinklebug
Dreaming in Mickey Vision
Too bad I wasn't 20, oh, I mean 3 years younger

Location: Left my heart in WDW, if found please leave at WL frontdesk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcthree View Post
In the video on easyWDW, the wardrobe and the CM asked if everyone had a part that wanted one.
I think the bigger problem will be the children who desperately want to be a certain item or character and someone else gets it.

Looking at the videos we're seeing right now, the interaction with the visitors in the wardrobe room where they assign characters is awkward at best. Perhaps Disney can add an interactive queue system like they're doing over at test track so each person is interviewed to find out what item or character they're most like and there will be no surprises.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #2769
milmore104
My DH is "Dusty Boots"

I'm sure this has been asked but I can't seem to find it. I know they are doing a soft opening to Fantasyland starting 11/19. How are they picking people to go in? Is it random, cardholders, or AP holders? I'm just wondering because we moved our trip back 2 weeks to go to the opening. However my DD just came home and handed me her Christmas concert schedule. It's set for 12/5 and I'd hate for her to miss it. Thanks

milmore104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #2770
CentralFloridian99
The guy who will ask all the celebrities if they will be involved in Episode VII

ETWB looks great theming wise. The play looks like crap. It has that effect Ollivander's at IOA has.

The force will be with you, always.
CentralFloridian99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #2771
FaerieFire
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by milmore104
I'm sure this has been asked but I can't seem to find it. I know they are doing a soft opening to Fantasyland starting 11/19. How are they picking people to go in? Is it random, cardholders, or AP holders? I'm just wondering because we moved our trip back 2 weeks to go to the opening. However my DD just came home and handed me her Christmas concert schedule. It's set for 12/5 and I'd hate for her to miss it. Thanks
They've said the 11/19 soft opening will be available to everyone, but there could be limited times or times when some or all of the attractions are down. Presumably AP, DVC and other limited previews will be before that. And right now, it seems they're randomly inviting people in the park to test and visit in a controlled setting. So, it's entirely possible you could see some or all of it if you go a week or two earlier.

We're leaving 11/12, but I'm still hoping we might get to see some of it.

°o° Lace — Planning our second WDW adventure, 11/1-12 AoA-LM (Sent from my iPad using DISBoards)

ASMu-4/11, AoA-LM-11/12
Living the life!
FaerieFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #2772
tkitty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
I got chills- how exciting! (To me anyhow)
Grew up near DL-Disneyland grad nite jr hi 1973-High school 1976 *1999 Land & Sea pkg - Contemporary/Disney*2005 First Disneyland trip with Grandson*2006 WDW Aug. POFQ*2008 Disneyland trip (first for granddaugter)*WDW-OKW & ASMu Oct 2009*Best DL trip ever May 2010* 1st MHP-DL! Oct 2011* OKW/POFQ Grandkids trip Oct 2012

tkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #2773
dacky041208
DIS Veteran

I have worked with kids for the past 12 years. I've noticed that when children are first experiencing something like role play in the classroom, they are usually excited and interested, not quite minding their role, and they are happy to be involved (and some not involved, some just like to witness role play).

Now, if we redo the role play, it is then that some kids "want a specific part".

To me, this is one of those experiences that won't need to be done again and again and again during one trip. If you treat it that way, as a special one-time-a-trip-experience, your child should love it and enjoy it. Go too often, and you may experience a tear or two. Parents usually know their children and what causes their meltdowns. Hopefully those parents with children who are prone to throw tantrums over things like this will treat this as a once and done attraction.

ETA, for some reason, the comments about meltdowns yesterday had me bothered, my flame suit is officially on for those that disagree with me. Usually I am a lurker on this thread, as I love that so many disers share in my feelings about the expansion. I think it will be amazing and cannot wait to experience it.

-2 weeks at AKL, thanks DVC! 6/19-7/2/2011 Pictures/Video: Part 1 Part 2
-Pixar Weekend at ASMu 5/12-5/16/2011
-First Time during the holidays at PC!! 11/18-11/22/2010
-First DVC Trip to SSR 7/29-8/7/2010
-1st Anniversary Trip at AKL 6/23-6/30/2009
-2 week Disneymoon at CSR 5/28-6/11/2008
dacky041208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #2774
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
I think I am confusing myself now..

Are the other circus tents with the circus characters- Minnie, Daisy, etc, and the other tent with the food in it opening when everything else opens on Nov 19th or will they open sooner???
I think my question got ignored. Can anyone answer if Pete's Silly Sideshows and Bigtop Souvenirs will open on Nov 19th or earlier?

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #2775
wehavesix
Yes, I really have 6 kids
Yes, I'm crazy but in a good way
One minute I was walking along and the next I was falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacky041208
I have worked with kids for the past 12 years. I've noticed that when children are first experiencing something like role play in the classroom, they are usually excited and interested, not quite minding their role, and they are happy to be involved (and some not involved, some just like to witness role play).

Now, if we redo the role play, it is then that some kids "want a specific part".

To me, this is one of those experiences that won't need to be done again and again and again during one trip. If you treat it that way, as a special one-time-a-trip-experience, your child should love it and enjoy it. Go too often, and you may experience a tear or two. Parents usually know their children and what causes their meltdowns. Hopefully those parents with children who are prone to throw tantrums over things like this will treat this as a once and done attraction.

ETA, for some reason, the comments about meltdowns yesterday had me bothered, my flame suit is officially on for those that disagree with me. Usually I am a lurker on this thread, as I love that so many disers share in my feelings about the expansion. I think it will be amazing and cannot wait to experience it.
No flames from me. I am a teacher with 23 years of pre-k and kinder experience. I agree completely with your opinion. Most of the time kids just want a part. They are mostly happy with any part and usually just want to hold the prop. Most are not actors and will not do much more than stand there grinning unless they are given lots of encouragement. A few will not want to participate at all.

We just had our 7th day of pre-k this year and already my class has adjusted to "you get what you get and you don't pitch a fit." as a class philosophy. If they witness someone act even a little picky about something, I hear at least a couple of little voices call out that quote. I really believe that most meltdowns of this kind are adult created dramas.

I also think that, while it will be more fun with lots of audience participation, it can be a nice experience even if only 2 or 3 people act out the roles.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: