Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #1951
JavArmy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
I know it's only two pictures, but it looks like the area will be more of a "playground" type area. It states that it's an interactive area for all ages, but for those of us without kids, it looks like it might still be standing around waiting, just not in a "line." Maybe there's more to it that we haven't seen yet? I know people will when I say this, but I hope there will be a gift shop or a snack stand or something for older kids and adults to do while we wait Thanks for sharing the link!
I can never get enough gift shops, haha!!

JavArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #1952
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavArmy View Post
I can never get enough gift shops, haha!!
I know! That's how we are too! Some people complain, but we love them
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
SRUAlmn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #1953
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
OK odd question, how long do you normally wait for Dumbo, like whats the worse case situation in the summer months.

The reason I ask is that when this is all up and running its going to be half of what ever it is now and is this needed or is it going to be like the main queue area of Dinosaur with all the fossils that you mostly just zip by because the line moves quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post
During the summer the wait can easily be 90 minutes during the day. Heck, I was there on a very slow day in November 2010 (walking on most rides with no wait) and Dumbo had a 50 minute wait then. So it will be very helpful!!!
It's kind of an unknown how the wait will be for the new/revised Dumbo

Obviosuly there will be lots of interest when the new queue and second spinner is open BUT part of the attraction of the original ride is the view it gave you being right in the heart of fantasy land and right by the castle etc. . ... a view that now does not exist - so will it have the same draw (and thus the same wait times) in it's new location for the long term?

**In Progress** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #1954
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxRebo View Post
It's kind of an unknown how the wait will be for the new/revised Dumbo

Obviosuly there will be lots of interest when the new queue and second spinner is open BUT part of the attraction of the original ride is the view it gave you being right in the heart of fantasy land and right by the castle etc. . ... a view that now does not exist - so will it have the same draw (and thus the same wait times) in it's new location for the long term?

I just realized a major touring issue with this new queue.

No Chuck Bubba relay.

from http://www.************travel.com/di..._6_younger.htm

Quote:
Dumbo the Flying Elephant

Disney Note: Perform the “Chuck Bubba Relay” as described in Bob Sehlinger’s book “The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World”.
One parent will wait in line with bubba. The other parent allows a certain number of people to get in front of them (24 in the case of Dumbo) and then gets in line. When Bubba finishes his ride he and parent number one will exit and little Bubba is then passed to the other parent. Bubba can then enjoy two Dumbo’s for the price of one wait
Old 06-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #1955
hollygolitely93
DIS Veteran

The Dumbo wait looks adorable but I am a bit skeptical...one that I will either lose my kid in the masses or he and she will not want to leave the playground. It seems more stressful for me but great for the kids!

I have noticed the wait times for Dumbo are dramatically down on lines than typical...once the second one opens I really am not sure this will have more than a 20 minute wait peak times. Still 20 minutes is 20 minutes.

A combination of it not being first ride you see when you come through the castle, lost view, and not being in hub with all the rides...I think demand will go down a bit.
hollygolitely93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #1956
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkpmac View Post
I found these, thought I would share (if thats ok)

http://orlandoparksnews.blogspot.ca/...ueue.html#more
Great photos!

I added these three new links to the first post:

All in the Details: The View from Belle’s Village in Magic Kingdom Park, June 5, 2012

Sneak Peek: Kids Will Star in the Show at the Big Top Tent at Dumbo The Flying Elephant, June 4, 2012

All in the Details: Introducing Prince Eric’s Castle at Magic Kingdom Park, May 29, 2012

Last edited by Berlioz70; 06-05-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Berlioz70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #1957
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolitely93 View Post
The Dumbo wait looks adorable but I am a bit skeptical...one that I will either lose my kid in the masses or he and she will not want to leave the playground. It seems more stressful for me but great for the kids!

I have noticed the wait times for Dumbo are dramatically down on lines than typical...once the second one opens I really am not sure this will have more than a 20 minute wait peak times. Still 20 minutes is 20 minutes.

A combination of it not being first ride you see when you come through the castle, lost view, and not being in hub with all the rides...I think demand will go down a bit.
It might.....

But there is also the chance that the fact that Dumbo is a classic, and the area won't be as "hidden" as it is now once all the construction is done.... Plus maybe some views of Snow White, Beast, and Little Mermaid that the ride will provide, Will help make up for it's no longer being directly behind the castle.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #1958
BebopBaloo
DIS Veteran

The queue is adorable! I do agree w/ other posters that have thought it might be hard to get kids to stop playing on the playground when it's time to board the ride. I love that it's indoors and I think the right intention was in place....guess we'll see how it all plays out.
"Don't spend all your time looking around for something you want that can't be found. When you find out you can live without it and go along not thinking about it, I'll tell you something true. The bear necessities of life will come to you."

Psalm 27:1
BebopBaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #1959
micandminforever
DIS Veteran

Just posted on Inside the Magic:

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2012/0...ractive-games/

I loved the video.
One day trips with Family 1972,1973, 1976, Honeymoon off site June 1985, Off site June 1986, Off site June 1989, Grand Floridian June 1992, Wilderness Lodge June 1995, Dixie Landing(POR) April 1997, Hilton at Downtown Disney April 2000, Beach Club June 2003, POFQ June 2005, Pop Century Dec. 2005, Pop Century Jan. 2006, Pop Century Sept. 2007, POFQ Jan. 2009, Pop Century Sept 2009, BLT 25th Anniversary Trip June 2010, CBR March 2011, PORS Sept. 2012, Pop Century Jan. 2013
micandminforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #1960
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Great video...everything looks really cute and I love the idea of it, but like others I am a bit skeptical. My kids are a bit older so when it is time to board, they won't be melting down because they have to leave the play area, but I really feel for those parents that have very young children who will not want to leave the play area to go ride Dumbo...but then again, they may because it IS Dumbo . Can't wait to hear the reports on how it is all working out. We will be there the end of Aug/beginning of Sept.

PoohsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #1961
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BebopBaloo View Post
The queue is adorable! I do agree w/ other posters that have thought it might be hard to get kids to stop playing on the playground when it's time to board the ride. I love that it's indoors and I think the right intention was in place....guess we'll see how it all plays out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by micandminforever View Post

I loved the video.
I think there is going to be a lot of "But mommy I want to stay here and play" or "Sweety, let Mommy just sit here a little longer in the AC and then we can ride Dumbo"

It may go both ways.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #1962
mkleinbe
DIS Veteran

So I'm a total skeptic. The queue looks sooo cool, but I need to see it in "action" with real families before I get too excited. I see it being packed and that it will be very difficult to find your children when it's time to ride. I also wonder if it will get packed with people just wanting to get out of the heat and get off their feet and give their kids some time to run around. Hmmmm...
Old 06-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #1963
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Just as I feared....a giant, noisy, playground. Nothing against anyone's children, as it looks like great fun, but our family is all adults and almost all of us are teachers, so when on vacation we try to avoid the noisy, kids running around areas Too much like real life for us Looks like we'll be waiting outside in the heat
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
Old 06-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #1964
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkleinbe View Post
So I'm a total skeptic. The queue looks sooo cool, but I need to see it in "action" with real families before I get too excited. I see it being packed and that it will be very difficult to find your children when it's time to ride. I also wonder if it will get packed with people just wanting to get out of the heat and get off their feet and give their kids some time to run around. Hmmmm...
VERY good points! I wonder if the entrance will be situated so that you can only enter if you have a Dumbo pager?
Old 06-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #1965
MommyBell08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by micandminforever View Post

I loved the video.
Awesome! Great Job Disney!

ASMo'04*O.S.'06*POP'07*POP'09*CSR'09*AKV'11(KV)*AK V'12*OKW'12*AKV'14,SSR'14 OHANA

MommyBell08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: