Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
kandb
DIS Veteran

Lightning and Thunder at WDW

We are at Disney right now and are from New Jersey. In New Jersey, when there is lightning and thunder, we make sure we stay indoors until its over. Here in Florida, I have noticed, people still walk around and don't seem too concerned about it. I know even though it seems that people are more concerned at taking shelter in NJ, in the last few years I remember a few people dying in NJ after getting struck by lightning. Here in Disney today, there was some strong lightning we could see in the sky and many people and ourselves (we had a dinner adr at Ohana's), still were running in the bad weather. It didn't seem that the lightning was right above us, so I was hoping it was safe. Any lightning experts out there? When is it OK to go walking when there is lightning in the area?

PS: Magic Kingdom was Empty today.
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
Softball Princess
An awesome person that is lots of fun!

Well it's Florida. They get ALOT of hurricanes I guess they are just used to it
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softball Princess View Post
Well it's Florida. They get ALOT of hurricanes I guess they are just used to it
Most of those people are tourists,I think people just loose some common sense while on vacation.You hear horror stories all the time of people on vacation doing something silly and ending up in the hospital or worse.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
Softball Princess
An awesome person that is lots of fun!

Ya sometimes people don't know how bad something really is.😕😕
Old 09-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Texas Barbie
Mouseketeer

Disney is full of lightning rods. While no place is completely safe in a lightning storm, lightning would be more likely to hit the metal rods up high than the tourists on the ground. Walt was quite concerned for the safety of his guests.
Texas Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
dimndgal1
One little spark...

There is no set way to tell what lightning is "safe" to be outside in because all lightning has risks - I have seen cloud-cloud lightning produce a stray bolt to the ground and I have been next to a flagpole that was struck by lightning 15 minutes after the last rumble of thunder when we figurde the storm had passed.

People do crazy things in weather. Having been through several hurricanes and tropical storms, I have seen so many people try to surf or swim in the storm surge. Heck, I`ve seen poor Jim Cantore almost blown away so many times on the Weather Channel.

That said, many Floridians learn how to handle lightning because it can often last hours longer than the storm that brought it. But, at WDW, I would follow the lead of the CMs above the other tourists: if the CMs head for the hills, I would follow their lead
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
(me) (DH) (DD-7) (DD-1) (Bailey) (Aristotle)
dimndgal1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
dimndgal1
One little spark...

Edited for double post
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
(me) (DH) (DD-7) (DD-1) (Bailey) (Aristotle)

Last edited by dimndgal1; 09-06-2013 at 10:39 PM.
dimndgal1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
Good Morning Dewdrop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM1001 View Post
Most of those people are tourists,I think people just loose some common sense while on vacation.You hear horror stories all the time of people on vacation doing something silly and ending up in the hospital or worse.
so true and that has been us!

A trip or 2 ago (so this past January or last September) it started to bucket rain while we were in MK. We tossed on our ponchos and kept on going - sort of par for the course.

It started to thunder and that didn't even register on my radar. After awhile I realized it was thundering and at the same time it dawned on me that we were walking through ankle deep water - not the best combination! I came to my senses and we got under cover. Now of course I feel like an idiot but thankfully we were OK.
  • AP #3 September 2013 - AS Music; November 2013 - AS Music; January 2014 - AS Music; May 2014 SWW AS Music
    AP #2 January 2013 - AS Music: October 2012 - AS Music; September 2012 - AoA - LM opening day!; April 2012 - AS Sports; January/February 2012 - AS Music
  • AP #1 September 2011 - AS Music; May 2011 - AS Music - D23 Scavenger Hunt - Team "Pixie Dust"!!; February 2011 - AS Music; December 2010 - POFQ; September 2010 - AS Music
  • September 2009 - AS Music & CBR
  • January 2009 - AS Music
  • January 2008 - POP
  • January 2007 - AS Movies

Our new favorite thing to do (between Disney trips) is posting DHs photos on foap - he's under guanojoe (how funny is that?!)
Good Morning Dewdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
nkereina
Wendy Darling

The odds of getting struck by lighting are 1 in 500,000. With those odds, many people are not concerned I would imagine.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
DisneyWisher
DIS Veteran

I'm a Floridian and I was taught and have taught my children if you can hear thunder it's not safe to be outdoors. I'm 47 and if there is a thunderstorm as I'm getting off work I wont walk to my car until its over.
The beginning of the week 3 men in Miami had been pressure cleanings a semi, they chose to seek shelter under the trailer of the truck. 1 was killed and the other 2 were injured.
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/09/02...i-dade-county/

I used to live in Ft Lauderdale we lived near a school and a park. When lightning was it the area an alarm sounded to warn anyone outside at the school or the park. I think it worked by detecting the electricity in the air. My kids knew if they heard it get home or if going to a friends call me to let me know. Florida is the lightning capital of the of US. Also we lead the nation in injuries and deaths due to lightning.
DisneyWisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb View Post
We are at Disney right now and are from New Jersey. In New Jersey, when there is lightning and thunder, we make sure we stay indoors until its over. Here in Florida, I have noticed, people still walk around and don't seem too concerned about it. I know even though it seems that people are more concerned at taking shelter in NJ, in the last few years I remember a few people dying in NJ after getting struck by lightning. Here in Disney today, there was some strong lightning we could see in the sky and many people and ourselves (we had a dinner adr at Ohana's), still were running in the bad weather. It didn't seem that the lightning was right above us, so I was hoping it was safe. Any lightning experts out there? When is it OK to go walking when there is lightning in the area?

PS: Magic Kingdom was Empty today.
It is NEVER safe - some people just do not heed warnings! I'm in the south, and yes, we have been told to stay inside with lightning and we do just that. There are lots of people that have been struck by lightning, some make it, others don't. I will not take the chance.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
goofydad621
DIS Veteran

I had to look real quick but I thought this was the case

http://weather.about.com/od/thunders...ningstates.htm

Florida is the #1 state for lighting strikes and injuries in the country. Maybe they do go out in it more but they must be getting hit more.

If you can hear it. It can hit you.
Been there done that got the t-shirt and going back
goofydad621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #13
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

It could be they come from places where thunder and lightning is rare. It happens about once or twice a year here and almost always in the middle of the night. It lasts long enough to wake me up for about 5 minutes then goes away. So I'm glad to read this because I didn't know exactly what to do in a thunder storm at WDW. I do know you don't stand on a hill top in the middle of a field, but I might have thought tall buildings around you made it ok. I thought I remember warnings from my childhood not be the tallest thing around. I'm not sure what I would have done. When we go in June, I'll make sure to find indoor activities if there is a storm.

Just curious, what do you do when it goes on and on and you're done looking in that particular store? Do you dash to another or still wait it out? Just wondering what various DISers actually do. What if you have to be somewhere at a certain time? Does Disney allow lightning as an excuse?
Old 09-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #14
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

I think I've always heard if you can hear thunder, you can be struck by lightning, even if your not directly below the storm. I'm always cautious when there is lightning and do find it scary. I think about the fact that I could be struck, but as another poster said, I chance that I won't be that one.
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #15
BigAlsGal
DIS Veteran

I think the risk is so rare people just don't worry about it. You're far more likely to die in a car wreck but we don't avoid driving because of it.

On the same note I had family members that insisted on swimming with thunder and lightning around. They were all laughing at how freaked out I was. I think walking in a theme park is one thing. Swimming in a body of water is insanity!!

BigAlsGal is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: