Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #16
rosiep
I don't drink, I try to convert people to nudism!
while it was a beautiful experience it was a slurge
I'm one of those people who need coffee just so I can make coffee

I hope the OP comes back and makes friends here.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #17
Jessica14
DIS Veteran

CONGRATULATION!
People get dirty looks and sneers for all kinds of things. DH has mild cerebral palsy and needs crutches and calls himself gimpy. He gets all kinds of looks and was beat up as a kid because of who he was. Kids want to know why 5 year old DS's nose is crooked - he has a cleft palete. Just remember that this isn't about you-it's about someone else's need to be superior. Again, congrats and I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip!
Jessica
2010:POFQ 12/11-12/17:
2011: Santa took us to POP!

My Blog: A Woman's Pause www.jessicajudd.blogspot.com
Jessica14 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2011, 10:14 PM   #18
jharrowell
Disney Phreak

Hi!

Let me add my congratulations to the mix and a "Welcome to the club!"

As to Trouble at WDW, I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

In the end it's all about confidence I think. I'm about a decade post-op and nowadays I honestly don't give a flying fig what other people think of me, and that confidence means that nothing ever gets said. And trust me, most days I don't go out of my way to look ultra feminine. That's another thing I've become comfortable with so don't feel the need to do any more.

I've only ever felt safe and respected at WDW, you'll be fine.

I do agree with others, re: TSA however. I really wouldn't have wanted to go through the current security measures pre-op given they nigh on grope you nowadays.

I'd never usually suggest this as you shouldn't have to dress for others, but if you have to fly, going andro might be a good option.

Follow my twitters for pre-trip and live trip reports as well as the usual inane Twitter chatter at:
http://twitter.com/disneyfanjen
jharrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:29 PM   #19
AKL Ranger
Earning My Ears

Smile Just curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
You'll find all types of people at WDW. Most will pay no attention to you since they are there for the parks. Unfortunately some will notice you. There is a chance that somebody will take exception. In this respect WDW is just like real life.

How well do you "pass"?
I am curious as well to the question "How well do you pass"?

I was in the MK in June a few years back, sitting on the curb near guest relations, waiting for the parade to start. In walked 'a very unique looking individual'. Wearing Bright Lime green Hot pants and white high heels and a very tall UP do Hair do. A woman sitting next to me, turned to her husband and said "why anyone would wear high heels to a theme park is beyond me." The husband looked and me and we both smiled.
Remember We are all family. WDW Theme park is a family theme park, Not disco. Lord knows there have been a few occasions that Cast members have had to ask Female gender born guests to consider purchasing a regular T-shirt to cover up their 'fun bags on the verge of being liberated from skimpy bikini tops.'

If your appearance is typical Theme Park Guest, and not "Look at me, I want to be center of attention" or "Vegas Show Girl comes to Disney", then bravo, ..... I mean "Brava"
AKL Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #20
lisagirl
Earning My Ears

Smile transgendered at Disneyworld.

Hi, Thanks for the comment. All my friends say I am very pretty and would pass very easily but I am 6'1. I have not had any problems in public and most people don't notice me. I always dress nice, not trampy. I have been to Disneyworld many times but never as a girl. I'm hoping for the best. Thanks, Luv Lisa
lisagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #21
Trixieplus2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiep View Post
No advice but I wanted to say:
Congratulations to you!!!
Ditto!

Me DH DD5 DD3
Trixieplus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #22
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

Hi guys, never posted on this board before but the topic caught my eye. If the OP is still hanging around I would love to offer congratulations, while at the same time saying this. I have no desire to "blow smoke" and say you're not going to have a problem because you may. Unfortunately since everyone, including you, is welcome into the parks, the buttheads are welcome as well. People will make comments about everything, from clothes to disabilities to appearance. I think what may end up happening is if you're feeling self conscious, you may just naturally be more on edge and may interpret things in ways that may not be meant. I hope you'll let yourself relax and go with the flow. I always say luck favors the prepared, and I urge you to be prepared that you may run into Mary Sunshine and she may make some stupid comment. It may hurt..who are we kidding...it'll hurt, but just remember that you have every right to be there and she can kiss your butt.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #23
KarenF
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisagirl View Post
Hi, Thanks for the comment. All my friends say I am very pretty and would pass very easily but I am 6'1. I have not had any problems in public and most people don't notice me. I always dress nice, not trampy. I have been to Disneyworld many times but never as a girl. I'm hoping for the best. Thanks, Luv Lisa
If you get harassed or feel unsafe, go to the closest CM. The same morons that protest Gay Days and don't realize how many gay workers they're dealing with all day cause they're THAT clueless have no idea that Disney is also very T friendly.

You could maybe thank the jerks too because the tickets they purchased to get in the parks are used to cover expenses like insurance for the workers. And Disney workers can get sex reassignment surgery covered by their insurance which isn't common these days. That could lead to a boycott and the parks are really at max moron capacity every time I go lately.
KarenF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:07 PM   #24
GiGi30
DIS Veteran

Coming from a married mom of two, if i saw you at Disney World, I would smile and ask you how your day was going & if you were having a nice trip. My kids would probably strike up a conversation with you if you were behind us in line. My hubby and I teach acceptance and respect of ALL. Our kids are 3 & 5 and they already get it. Just wanted to assure you that there are a lot of people who would applaud you for being YOU. Enjoy your trip & have fun!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #25
nibor
Earning My Ears

Red face have fun

JUST HAVE FUN, THE ONLY PEOPLE WE EVER NOTICE IS THE RUDE ONE'S... YOU KNOW THE ONE'S WHO GET IN FRONT OF YOU AFTER YOU HAVE STOOD THERE FOR HOURS TO WATCH SOMETHING... BUT IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS LOOK FOR A CM, THEY CAN HAVE THEM PUT OUT, IF NEED BE.. REMEMBER, BE KIND TO ALL
nibor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:46 PM   #26
monetnj
Mouseketeer

This thread hits very close to home. I recently decided to transition myself. Started on hormone replacement therapy back in October and moved to the Orlando area to be with my mother after my divorce was finalized this week. That part has been very hard.

Probably going to Disney late this coming week. I am told I pass very well and am only 5'6" so I am average for a woman. I have actually already been to Downtown Disney without any trouble or looks. I will let you all know how it goes.

I have seen on or two trans people in the park before. Didn't notice them getting any flak.
'09 Jul. - Pop Century, AKV, VWL; '09 Dec. - BCV, VWL
'08 Aug. - VWL; '08 Apr. - CS
'07 Dec. - SSR; '07 Aug. - VWL; '07 Mar. - VWL (DW's birthday)
'06 Nov. - VWL; '06 Sept. - VWL; '06 June - POR & VWL (Surprise Trip and First DVC visit!); '06 Feb. - WL
'05 July - Poly Concierge (10th Anniversary)
'99 July - Contemporary (4th anniversary)
'95 July - Poly & GF (Honeymoon)
monetnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #27
rosiep
I don't drink, I try to convert people to nudism!
while it was a beautiful experience it was a slurge
I'm one of those people who need coffee just so I can make coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by monetnj View Post
This thread hits very close to home. I recently decided to transition myself. Started on hormone replacement therapy back in October and moved to the Orlando area to be with my mother after my divorce was finalized this week. That part has been very hard.

Probably going to Disney late this coming week. I am told I pass very well and am only 5'6" so I am average for a woman. I have actually already been to Downtown Disney without any trouble or looks. I will let you all know how it goes.

I have seen on or two trans people in the park before. Didn't notice them getting any flak.
Congratulations to you too!!!
Wishing you all the best. Be sure to post back and let us know how it goes.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #28
stasijane
Crazed one

Everyone is different, but for me I am to busy enjoying myself to give a hoot about anyone else... O and I dont talk to strangers, nuttin personal.......Now if I was really bored I might make fun of peoples clothes. I blame peopleofwalmart for that bad habit of mine though In all seriousness though, I think it might be wise to not worry so much about being teased or talked about, life is to short for that and start worring about having fun on your awesome vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi30 View Post
Coming from a married mom of two, if i saw you at Disney World, I would smile and ask you how your day was going & if you were having a nice trip. My kids would probably strike up a conversation with you if you were behind us in line. My hubby and I teach acceptance and respect of ALL. Our kids are 3 & 5 and they already get it. Just wanted to assure you that there are a lot of people who would applaud you for being YOU. Enjoy your trip & have fun!
stasijane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #29
weezyree
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiella View Post
Grats . I don't mean to be a downer, but going to share a concern. Consider how you are travelling as well. Current TSA procedures are really unpleasant for the transgendered. At the parks and resorts you should be fine. As others said, the guests are the potential problem and frankly you are just one of several thousand people they will see that day. Still, I'd suggest not going alone. A friend is very valuable for the odd jerk who makes a comment.
That is a good point...I never considered what it might be like going through security for a transgendered person. Either way, I agree with what I have mostly read...be yourself as you have already taken the first step in that direction and be proud of who you are. Not who anyone else wants you to be.

I am a married, heterosexual woman and a mother of three girls and I say go for it. I fear for my safety too at points, but I can certainly see your point. I wish you the best of luck and most of all....HAVE FUN!!!

Congratulations!!!

WDW-Apr 02-Camp Wilderness, Apr 08; Port Orleans, Aug 09-Saratoga Springs; Jun 11-Saratoga Springs; Dec 11-Saratoga Springs (Christmas); Mar 12-Saratoga Springs (DD and DSin-law honeymoon); Jun 12-Saratoga Springs; RECON mission to Aulani, Hawaii-Sep 12; Dec 12-Saratoga Springs (Christmas)
DLR-Aug 09-Paradise Pier; Mar 10-Park visit only; Oct 11-Downtown Disney visit only
DCL-Aug 03 (4 nite), Apr 08 (4 nite), Aug 09 (7 nite), Jan 10 (3 nite), Jun 12 (4 nite), ...2013 NINE NIGHT MEDITERRANEAN!!!
DVC members since Apr 08-SSR and AKKV
DH , Me , DD22 , DSin-law26 and DD15 : FIRST GRANDSON DAunt :
PROUD ARMY FAMILY OF THREE!!!
weezyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #30
weezyree
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasijane View Post
Everyone is different, but for me I am to busy enjoying myself to give a hoot about anyone else... O and I dont talk to strangers, nuttin personal.......Now if I was really bored I might make fun of peoples clothes. I blame peopleofwalmart for that bad habit of mine though In all seriousness though, I think it might be wise to not worry so much about being teased or talked about, life is to short for that and start worring about having fun on your awesome vacation!
Well said. If you were in line by us, we would strike up a convo too!! It's the polite thing to do...no matter who you are or what you look like!!! We, as well, teach acceptance in our family!! Best of luck and have a great time!!

WDW-Apr 02-Camp Wilderness, Apr 08; Port Orleans, Aug 09-Saratoga Springs; Jun 11-Saratoga Springs; Dec 11-Saratoga Springs (Christmas); Mar 12-Saratoga Springs (DD and DSin-law honeymoon); Jun 12-Saratoga Springs; RECON mission to Aulani, Hawaii-Sep 12; Dec 12-Saratoga Springs (Christmas)
DLR-Aug 09-Paradise Pier; Mar 10-Park visit only; Oct 11-Downtown Disney visit only
DCL-Aug 03 (4 nite), Apr 08 (4 nite), Aug 09 (7 nite), Jan 10 (3 nite), Jun 12 (4 nite), ...2013 NINE NIGHT MEDITERRANEAN!!!
DVC members since Apr 08-SSR and AKKV
DH , Me , DD22 , DSin-law26 and DD15 : FIRST GRANDSON DAunt :
PROUD ARMY FAMILY OF THREE!!!
weezyree is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: