Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #46
harleyquinn
Wishes she could take photos of the castle as well as the photos DALE (of Chip & Dale) takes.
I wanted to regale you all with tales of my DH's saggy greyies

Quote:
Originally Posted by december View Post
We are doing a 5 night on the Dream, July 8 2012. Katie turns 3 in May, and we'll still be in school, so I can't get that deal. That is what Patsy is doing, too.
Darn, we'd just miss each other. DH said no anyway, so it doesn't matter. He said he wants her to be older for a cruise. We'll see if I can wear him down.

So sorry I've been MIA. I've been sick all week. updates coming!
Old 01-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #47
harleyquinn
Wishes she could take photos of the castle as well as the photos DALE (of Chip & Dale) takes.

December 21st, Cont.

Tonight was all about the Osborne Lights. I had skipped them on my crabby trip with my mom in 2008, so this was a first for me. Everyone was always horrified when I told them I had been to Disney in December, but missed the lights. So this was a must do.

On this fateful day I developed the Monster Blister from Outer Space on my little toe and also the Normal Blister of Super Ouchiness on the bottom of my foot. The toe blister was HUGE, nearly the size of my toe, the normal one was normal, but due to location, much more painful. I’m a Croc wearer. I’ve worn them through 7 trips. This summer I had switched to Teva Mushes, which were heaven, but it was too cold for that. I had been wearing my Mammoths, which contributed to the issue, but the real problem was my socks. I always wear socks with my crocs and at Disney I always wear sport socks with cushions. This time I was wearing some warmer plain old Hanes socks. I think I would have been okay even with that, if I had put on my Band aid blister block like I normally do, but I skipped that too. The result was 2 very painful blisters. So if you find a routine that works for you, remember it and stick to it. Don’t get complacent like me.

I decked myself out in blister band aids and we walked to Hollywood Studios. Well we started to. First of all, when staying on the BW, the walkway is behind the resort. Do not go to the Boardwalk area and walk around, just exit the back of the resort. We didn’t and it added probably 5 minutes to what was the most painful walk of my life (which is actually not bad lol) We made it to the walkway and the blister on the bottom of my foot popped. It was really gross and I stopped to clean the area and do what I could to prevent another. (I wore the blister block from here out and was totally fine). The walk seemed to take forever, and we were in danger of missing our ADR. I told DH that I would be taking the boat back and he could walk with DD.

We made it to the 50s Prime Time Café at 4:32, our ADR was for 4:30. Here we are waiting in the lobby.

I really wish DHS had more dining choices. We’ve eaten at 50s, Mama Melrose and Sci fi Diner. I like Mama Melrose the best, but DH isn’t a Italian restaurant fan (I know! Seriously!) I love 50s pot roast (and I generally hate pot roast), plus I hoped the atmosphere would keep Lily entertained. I think this was the worst meal of the trip. The food was fine, but Lily was not. I got a super awesome peanut butter/chocolate shake. Part of the problem with Lily and restaurants right now is that she wants to drink out of our cups. Her sippys aren’t good enough.

We tried getting her a kid’s cup with water, which worked for a while, but soon she pulled out the straw and tried to tip it up to drink. She ended up soaked and it was just too cold outside to deal with wet baby too. It was like tug of war. At some point a server suggested apple juice. We ended up discovering that she was more satisfied with apple juice in her sippy, so that worked for a meal or two. We just had to be creative.

Lily quickly got tired of sitting, though the dessert viewfinder entertained her for a few minutes. I had long enough to make a huge mess with my shake (always stir the shake in the blender cup before transferring it to a normal cup. Works like a charm!) and eat my yummy pot roast before she had really had enough. I was going to skip dessert, but the waitress convinced me to take the apple cobbler to go (it was breakfast the next morning…yum!) I took Lily outside to entertain her while DH got the desserts to go and finished up. It took forever. I should have taken DD to the playground and had DH meet us there.

By the time he came out it was about 5:50. I thought the lights didn’t start until 6:15, but I stopped to ask a CM just in case. They started at 6, so we headed over and found a good spot.

You can see it wasn’t quite dark yet when they started, which I thought was a little lame.

We stayed for a little over 20 minutes, because I wanted to catch the Phineas and Ferb stuff. We didn’t stay long enough to hear the Perry and Dr. D part. So what did I think? It was very cool, but I wasn’t totally blown away. I think it is a case of reading too much on here. People say it’s the best thing at WDW at Christmas and it’s so amazing. I think the effect is diminished by so many people blocking the bottom parts of the lights and making it impossible to really see every angle. There are so many cool little things that are so easy to miss in the throng of people. So many people just kind of walk through and miss most of it completely while they are trying to navigate all the people. I’m not sure seeing it right when it opens is the best plan, but we were able to walk around a bit after about 15 minutes.

But much more importantly, Lily LOVED it. Not so much the lights, but the “snow!” She thought it was the coolest thing ever to be sitting in her stroller with the snow coming down. She kept saying, “Snow! Snow! See! See!” That made the pain I had on the walk over and the not-so-great meal so worth it. She was so happy.

We made our way out of the streets and decided to walk over to see when the last showing of Playhouse Disney Live was. It was 30 minutes away, so we decided to skip it. DH ran into see which characters were in the animation place. It wasn’t anyone who we were interested in, so we decided to leave. DHS is so nice when Fantasmic is showing. The crowds were very light. In case you are interested, the stand by for TSM was 100 minutes.

My foot was feeling almost normal at this point, so we walked back to the Boardwalk. There were a lot of people entering the park. We caught some of the fireworks from Fantasmic on the walk, which was kind of cool. You could hear the music too. I’ll spare you from the terrible pictures we took of that.

We made it back to the room and DH went to get his mug refilled. He came back 2 minutes later and said we had to go down to the lobby, because there was a surprise for us. We found:

(The photopass pictures are MUCH better)

DD was very excited and it was a perfect ending to an overall very good day.
Up next: Swimming?! And a Christmas parade and Crystal Palace!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #48
BrooklynnsMommy
DIS Veteran

What a nice surprise for Minnie and Mickey to come visit your resort in their holiday attire!
Old 01-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #49
harleyquinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynnsMommy View Post
What a nice surprise for Minnie and Mickey to come visit your resort in their holiday attire!
It was really cool! There was a sign in the lobby that simply said "Holiday Fun" with a time frame. I never would have thought about it and I had even read about it here first. I guess all the deluxes have different characters.

Last edited by harleyquinn; 01-14-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #50
RooRach0906
"Oh Goody, Horray!"

The snow sounds fabulous! Thats awesome about the characters. Your reports get me so excited about our trip Dec 2012.

On our weigh and bringing Tagalongs ~ Sept 2014 PTR ~
Old 01-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #51
harleyquinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooRach0906 View Post
The snow sounds fabulous! Thats awesome about the characters. Your reports get me so excited about our trip Dec 2012.
It was pretty cool. Spoiler Warning!!!

I had read that it was soap and it was, but I was expecting soap flakes. It's actually soap bubbles. It was very cool.

Update coming. We're getting close to the end. Very little park time to speak of, so the end will come fast.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #52
harleyquinn

December 22

I had planned this day a bunch of different ways. First I got us an 8am breakfast at CP, but we learned on the last trip that DD isn’t enough of a morning person. I really wanted to go to CP, but for some reason I didn’t realize we could go for dinner. So pretty late in the game, I picked up a 3:35 reservation. Sounded good at the time, after all it’s only an hour earlier than we had been eating anyway.

But what to do with this time? Should we get there at rope drop and only stay until about 11, then hope DD would take a nap early, so we could get back in time to see the Christmas parade? Or should we sleep in again and go to the Magic Kingdom on December 22 in the afternoon?? Would it be unbearably crowded by then?

Well the weather decided for us. Today was the only really warm day of the trip. I think it got up to 76 or so. We really wanted to swim. So we had a wonderful quiet morning (besides the family next to us that woke us up at 7am with their screaming child), and we went swimming! Lily loves the water. We started swimming around 10:30 and it was still pretty cold (low 60s), but the water was warm. We had the pool to ourselves and I got to try out the slide 4 or 5 times. The head life guard brought Lily a “boat” to play with. (It was a leaf, lol) He talked to us for a while. It was just wonderful and I wish we had been able to swim more.

We stayed in for about 40 minutes or so and headed back to the room to chill.

Lily took a nice nap and we headed to MK. The crowds didn’t seem too bad at all, but we had about 45 minutes until the parade so we went to find a spot near the start in Frontierland. I kept pointing out good spots, but DH kept shooting them down until we ended up right where the parade starts. I wanted to move down, but he wanted to stay. Please don’t watch the parade here. We were in the second row and the roped off the area. There were so many people behind us. We did have one rude family push their way to the front, but it wasn’t that bad. But we could have had our own front row spot if we just walked down the path a bit further. Plus, we wouldn’t have had all those people behind us pushing forward or had to deal with the people constantly stopping on the little path the CMs had left for traffic.

Lily did well with the wait. We gave her some snacks and she people watched. I held her through the whole parade (another reason to get a front row seat for the stroller) and she really enjoyed it. DH filmed the whole thing, so I don’t have pictures since my hands were full.

This parade was one of the few things I really loved from my 2008 trip, but it just didn’t blow me away this time. The toy soldiers weren’t as loud and it seemed like there were fewer gingerbread men and reindeer. I know it was just my perception and not reality. In 2008 we had a great little spot without anyone pressing in on us and I went shopping while my mom waited and held our spot with some people we made friends with.

Anyway, the parade was great and Lily loved it. Afterwards we were salmon swimming upstream through the crowds, but we managed to make it to CP a few minutes early. We sat down and were told when to wait because characters were coming and that the cycle would take 1 hour and 15 minutes. I made the mistake of trying to leave the table to get my own food and Lily had a monster fit, so I picked things in a hurry and pilled my plate really high. We survived it. As long as I was at the table, this was a great meal for DD.

This is Matt, DH has a story for this picture, maybe I can get him on here to tell you.

This Is my attempt to get a picture of Lily’s dress that was made for her by a fellow Diser from the moms thread. The photopass pics of it came out better. (Thank you Adi!)

So the food here is awesome for a buffet, but waiting for over an hour to see all the characters can be difficult. Everyone was totally done with their food for at least 20 minutes before we got the last one in. By everyone, I mean every table near us too. I think the pictures show that Lily loved it. She didn’t eat much, but DH and I did!

A great side effect of taking the late approach to today was that we were able to see the castle lighting. As we headed over there after dinner they were just starting the Move It, Shake It parade. So we did that again. This time we stood over by Goofy and Lily LOVED dancing with him. It was too cute. (Lots of video again) The parade killed all the time left before the lighting, so we stood by the Walt and Mickey statue and waited the 10 minutes or so before the ceremony began.

We couldn’t see the characters (I totally didn’t know they were up there). We should have moved up closer. The crowd was really light, but it worked out because we got photopass pictures right before and after the castle changed.

I just love the icicle lights, it’s so beautiful. We started to head out with a HUGE crowd of people and DH asked me if I’d rather go wait for a bus with all of those people or go ride the People Mover. I was worried that Lily was done, but he was right that it would probably take us nearly the same amount of time to go ride as it would to wait for a bus. So we rode the mover and it was cool to do at night and see the lights. Then we left after that and it was nice and empty except for the people getting ready to wait for the parade.

This was such a perfect day. The weather, the relaxation and the magic of the park and the meal just added up to wonderful. And we didn’t ride anything!
Old 01-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #53
harleyquinn

Whoops! double post!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #54
dmoore718
If you think being a firefighter is tough, try being a firefighter's wife

I love it!! Lily is adorable!!! I'm getting nervous. We leave in less than 2 weeks and I have 3 girls. 5, 4 and.....17 months....I know you can imagine how difficult this might be!! I'm hoping it all works out since it's just DH and I most of the trip. We are meeting up with some others for 2 of the days. My baby isn't really walking yet, although this week she has taken the most steps ever! She was a preemie and has been late to do most of the gross motor stuff..I'm picturing her crawling down the line to see the fairies and crawling all over Turtle Talk. My only glimpse of hope is that we took her to Disney on Ice and she was in AWE for the 1st hour, she lost it after intermission but most shows at Disney are 20 min or less.....so here's hoping it all goes well!!! fingers crossed. Love reading your TR!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:59 PM   #55
*Seanaci*
DIS-obsessed and proud!

Fabulous TR.

We were lucky enough to go back in 2008 the same time with our them 14 month old son. He'd nap in his stoller twice a day for us. But that could have been due in part to him and I always being on the go and walking the mall. Sadly, he decided 3 days in that he no longer needed a pacifier...luckily it never made him irritable or grumpy.

I think toddlers are pretty resilient at that age...just give them their pacifier, lovey, snacks, and drinks and they're good to go.

Me(34), DH(43), DS(6), DM(56), DG(61)
Old 01-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #56
harleyquinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore718 View Post
I love it!! Lily is adorable!!! I'm getting nervous. We leave in less than 2 weeks and I have 3 girls. 5, 4 and.....17 months....I know you can imagine how difficult this might be!! I'm hoping it all works out since it's just DH and I most of the trip. We are meeting up with some others for 2 of the days. My baby isn't really walking yet, although this week she has taken the most steps ever! She was a preemie and has been late to do most of the gross motor stuff..I'm picturing her crawling down the line to see the fairies and crawling all over Turtle Talk. My only glimpse of hope is that we took her to Disney on Ice and she was in AWE for the 1st hour, she lost it after intermission but most shows at Disney are 20 min or less.....so here's hoping it all goes well!!! fingers crossed. Love reading your TR!
Wow!! That's going to be so much fun! Seeing how each one experiences everything differently. I hope you have a wonderful time!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Seanaci* View Post
Fabulous TR.

We were lucky enough to go back in 2008 the same time with our them 14 month old son. He'd nap in his stoller twice a day for us. But that could have been due in part to him and I always being on the go and walking the mall. Sadly, he decided 3 days in that he no longer needed a pacifier...luckily it never made him irritable or grumpy.

I think toddlers are pretty resilient at that age...just give them their pacifier, lovey, snacks, and drinks and they're good to go.
Thanks!! Glad you are enjoying it! I wish Lily would magically decide to dump the pacifier!!

I should have an update later today!
Old 01-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #57
harleyquinn

December 23

Today was our last park day and it was a short one. FIL was in FL with his girlfriend who has a home down there. This year he decided to stay past Christmas since we were down there. We made plans to meet up with them this afternoon at our resort, so they wouldn’t have to get one day tickets.

We decided the easiest thing to do would be to hang out at Epcot for a couple of hours, each lunch right at 11 and then head back to meet them at the Boardwalk. I would have much rather gone to MK again since there was so much there that we had missed this time, but it was a red day, and I just don’t do red days this close to Christmas. Plus we wouldn’t have enough time to spend there when you add in transportation time.

DH talked me into buying something nice for myself, so I had picked out a hoodie that matches the purse I bought last year. So we walked over to MouseGears to take advantage of the 20% off coupon. They had the hoodie, but not in my size. *sigh* This one:

I almost settled for one that was black with Mickey Mouse written across the front. The hood had Mickey ears on it. Very cute, but just too expensive for me for something so simple. We spent a lot of time in the store and I ended up with nothing. lol DH got the Vinalmation stuff he wanted though. He bought one last time and painted it when we got home in honor of Lily’s first trip, so he wanted one for her first Christmas trip too.

Can you guess what we did next? Yep! We rode Nemo! 4 or 5 times. Lily thought it was hilarious by the third trip. We hung out and dolphin watched for a little while. I told one of the CMs in the dump shop that they seriously need a seagull plush, and she said that she had heard that they were coming very soon! Lily would LOVE one. I wanted to buy her one of the many other “Mine! Mine! Mine!” things they have, but nothing was appropriate.

We rode Journey into Imagination one more time and it was time to head back to WS to eat. We decided to stop in the UK for fish and chips since it was the only counter service until you get to Morocco on that side. So we sat down to wait for them to open. A CM was out putting the condiments and things out and finally told the small line of people that it didn’t open until 11:30. Why in the world would they not post a sign with the opening time? It doesn’t have to be a permanent thing, one of those ones that you can change. Stupid.

We started walking and decided on Morocco. I wanted to try something different since we’ve eaten there before, but it was either that or go all the way to America and we’d eaten there too. DH and I both got the big sampler plate and most of it was really, really good. The baklava made my mouth really dry, but other than that it was good, but it was COLD where we were sitting. We ate fast and headed toward the exit to the Boardwalk. When we got there, we saw:

My favorite country bear!!! LOVE HIM! Lily liked him too. I told him he was my favorite and that I wished we could sing a duet, and he laughed and hugged me.

We also saw:

I told them they were missing Brer Bear and Brer Fox started looking for him.
Not done yet!

It was really cool, but VERY chaotic. There were 3 CMs standing next to each other down the hill, but no one was directing people into lines or anything, so everyone was cutting each other off and it was a mess. We hit it at the right time, because there was only a few other families, but it would have been a nightmare with any more people.

It was such a nice surprise to end our last park time this way. We got back to the room and Lily and I took a nap right away. When she woke up we went to visit with FIL. We spent a couple of hours walking around the resort and the boardwalk. Lily played on the playground for a while. I wish we had swam!! It got warm enough, and I was totally itching to be in the pool. Lily had a ton of fun playing with her daddy and grandpa on the playground and that made it all worth it for sure.

Our ADR for Ohana was quickly approaching, so we said farewell to our visitors and drove over to the Poly. I had to do a little convincing to get DH to drive instead of taking the bus to MK and then the monorail, but I’m so glad we did. The drive went smoothly and was so much more convenient.

Dinner at Ohana was wonderful as always. I think this is one of the very few places we’d eat at every trip and it’s one of the most inexpensive too! Lily and I did the hula again and got leis, but this time hers went around her next because her head was too big to wrap it like last time. (See pic in first post). This made me all teary, because it really highlighted how much she’s grown in such a short time.

After dinner we managed to catch Lilo and Stitch next to Ohana. I really should have pulled Lily out of the stroller. The photopass pictures are so awkward; it’s actually kind of funny!

We spent some time in the shops since I was still hoping that something would scream “Buy Me!” Then we hopped on the monorail to visit the GF. I just had to see the gingerbread house. Lily loved the monorail almost as much as the train to Rafiki’s. I wish we would have had time to ride the train at MK. Next time!

The gingerbread house was awesome!! It seemed much cooler this time than the last trip. The balcony was so cool and covered in so much intricate stuff.

There was a Photopass photographer taking pictures in front of the GF tree and MAN! were people decked out. We saw them take one of the most adorable little girl ever (except Lily). She was sooo cute. The smile and the pose could easily been in a magazine.

We hunted through the shops, but nothing caught my eye, so we got back on the monorail. I loved being able to see the castle one more time all lit up. Most trips, my last view of the castle makes me tear up, but this time I felt such a sense of satisfaction. We had such a great trip…2 great trips with our little princess! I felt so full of magic!

We headed back to the resort to pack and relax.

Up Next: Drive home and final thoughts!
Old 01-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #58
december
DIS Veteran

Katie was just looking at your pics again. She likes the "baebae". But she doesn't like her kissing Pooh! She held out her hand and said "stop that!"
Old 01-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #59
harleyquinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by december View Post
Katie was just looking at your pics again. She likes the "baebae". But she doesn't like her kissing Pooh! She held out her hand and said "stop that!"

That's too funny! What a cutie!
Old 01-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #60
december
DIS Veteran

I just hope she likes the characters when we go in July. She was terrified of them on both trips last year! The first night last June (she was 13 mos) we ate at CP. She watched through the window and jabbered the whole time we waited, but when they got close to the table when we were eating she went crazy! Tried to climb over me when Tigger came out. From then on she screamed if they came close, had another horrible night at Garden Grill, and finally canceled Chef Mickey and went to Planet Hollywood instead. In October, I so wanted pics with all the characters at MNSSHP, but she screamed if we got anywhere near them. So I'm showing her your pics, showing those sing along videos, and hoping for the best!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: