Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2010, 12:43 PM   #16
harleyquinn
Wishes she could take photos of the castle as well as the photos DALE (of Chip & Dale) takes.
I wanted to regale you all with tales of my DH's saggy greyies

Day 2, December 19th
I woke DH up around 6:50 and told him to get in the shower. Lily popped up and said, “Mou Mou!!!” Which is her version of Mickey Mouse. She was so excited. It’s moments like these that make me laugh in the face of people who hate on us for taking her to WDW.

She ran over to the door and said, “Knock, knock, Bye, Bye. Mou Mou!” I told her we had to get ready and dressed before we could see Mickey. It was one of her most cooperative mornings ever. She really hates getting her diaper changed, but she was great this morning.

We walked out on the balcony to get an idea of the temperature. The high was supposed to be 63 I think, and according to the Weather Channel it was currently 53 degrees. It felt warmer than that to us, so we didn’t get super bundled, but I did put Lily in her big fleece sweater with a couple of layers. We would soon learn that our balcony was always at least 5 degrees warmer than any other place in Disney World.

We managed to get out of the room and to the bus stop and the bus pulled right up. As I said before, we never had issues with the MK bus. I realized at the stop that I had forgotten Lily’s snacks. If you’ve read the August TR, you know that the snacks were the only thing that got us through the bus rides. Well, I was in for a surprise as Lily loved the buses this time. She totally knew it meant that she was going to visit Mickey. She was so excited. I wish I had video, but I had her and DH had the stroller, so no extra hands.

We made it to the park just after 8am. We tend to try and miss rope drop. I know its not a very TGM thing to do, but I really can’t stand waiting in the mass of people. I much prefer to show up a bit after that rush and walk into an empty looking park. It’s especially doable once you realize that we weren’t planning on hitting any of the big name rides. No mountains or Soarin or headliners for us.

I was VERY concerned about crowd levels (did I say that already? ) I figured today might be our very best chance to have low crowds, since I figured a lot of people would be arriving today. Well, we walked into a cold and very quiet park!! I was thrilled. Before we left, I told DH that I really wanted to take my time and enjoy the parks without rushing from one thing to the next. I wasn’t sure I would be able to do it while worrying about the ginormous crowds making the lines longer and longer, but you’ll see how I did.

So this is what we saw when we got into MK:

I’m not sure why my head is the only thing in the picture. DH didn’t take another one after this. I think I might have told him we’d get one with all of us from a Photopass Photog later.
Here you can see the wonderful lack of that rope drop crush:

ETA Photopass:

(She is clearly thinking, "My castle is right there, why are we stopping?!")

Lily was super happy to see her castle. Before we left I kept telling her we were going to see her castle and she would totally light up. A couple days before we left we were watching one of the HGTV specials and it had the castle and she gasped and put her little hands up to her mouth and said, “See! See!” She may not remember the August trip 10 years from now, but she definitely remembers it now.

We stopped and got some photopass pictures in front of the tree and castle. Sooo glad we did that.
DH and I like to skip breakfast in WDW, especially when on the DP, because you are usually so full in the morning, but I always worry about a meltdown from DD if she doesn’t get some food. So in the spirit of taking it easy, we stopped and got a cinnamon roll from the bakery on Main Street. Yummo. Lily ate a lot more of it this time than she did in August. We should have gotten 2. Best snack credit for breakfast. (and yes, I was officially off of my Weight Watchers life style from this point forward! )

DH took some terrible pics of us in front of the castle that I won’t share and we were through to fantasyland. I sent DH to FP Peter, but the whole area was very quiet. Lily and I headed over to Pooh to wait for him and then we headed to the queue. The new queue is awesome! I would have taken pictures, but there was no line. I think it’s great that they added some features that are perfect for entertaining a preschooler. Lily kept saying, “no, no, no” as we were loading. She did fine, but didn’t enjoy it as much as last time. I was a bit bummed and worried about what that meant for the rest of the trip.

Before we went on Pooh, I asked the very nice CM handling the strollers if Toontown would be opening early today as the park opened early. He said, “yes, very good job. It opens 45 minutes after the park opens, but no one knows that and it’s very quiet on mornings like today!” Yippee! I said something about maybe actually catching the fairies and he told me that he still needed to catch Rosetta and Terence, but he had met the rest. So it’s not just a mystery to the guests who will be back there. Once we got off of Pooh, it was 8:47ish, so we headed over. There was one lone CM at the pin kiosk waving her Mickey hands at us. I realized that we may actually get to see the fairies. We didn’t make it to TT early enough in August (usually about 5 minutes after TT had opened) and the wait was 50 minutes by the time we got there. So DH parked the stroller, while I took DD in to see that they had a 15 minute wait! Woo-hoo! This is the best indication of just how low the crowds were this morning.

So we walked in and I was telling the mom behind us (they were going to see the Princesses) that they should totally go see the fairies next, because they were so hard to catch without a huge wait. We walked up and the princesses had a bit of a line, but no one was there for the fairies!!! SQUEAL! Lol 2 minutes later a CM comes out and takes us down the hallway explaining that we are shrinking to fairy size. At this point I realize this is Lily’s first greet of the trip and I worry a little about her reaction, but we kept moving. And this is what we discovered:

Tink coming to Rosetta's rescue

Not interested in Tink either?!

Pefect Tink pose

Note to self (and all of you). When taking pictures near the groud with a little one, get on your knees like the characters and you will look a lot more comfortable.
This one is cute, too bad I'm looking at the Photopass person again. It's a trend.

PP:

Love this with the background stuff:

And the final fairy?
Vidia! My purple pair! (BTW how annoying is it that Vidia isn’t pictured in any of the borders you can use on the PP website?)

Lily was pretty much done by now

This one is cute, but where am I looking?! You guessed it!

The fairies all gushed about the “beautiful rainbow striped caterpillar, and what a unique butterfly she would be. Lol It was very cute, but sooo much faster than I thought it would be. I didn’t have time to enjoy the theming or get a lot of interaction, but I can see how this will be awesome when she’s older. They definitely get into character. Vidia sounded just like Vidia. I doubt Rosetta sounded like Kristen Chenoweth, but I can’t remember.
More to come...

Last edited by harleyquinn; 02-07-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:29 PM   #17
december
DIS Veteran

Katie loved Pooh in June, but was scared of it in Oct???? She didn't have any problems on Snow White, or Haunted Mansion, but cried on Pooh. Also, she had a meltdown whenever we saw a character. I hope by next summer she is over that! I have some sing along videos with the full size characters that she loves, and I'm hoping that gets her over her fear.

Your description of the DVC resort has me very happy that I found a good deal at Windsor Hills!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2010, 01:51 PM   #18
harleyquinn
Wishes she could take photos of the castle as well as the photos DALE (of Chip & Dale) takes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by december View Post
Katie loved Pooh in June, but was scared of it in Oct???? She didn't have any problems on Snow White, or Haunted Mansion, but cried on Pooh. Also, she had a meltdown whenever we saw a character. I hope by next summer she is over that! I have some sing along videos with the full size characters that she loves, and I'm hoping that gets her over her fear.

Your description of the DVC resort has me very happy that I found a good deal at Windsor Hills!
I have those DVDs too! Lily loves the Disneyland one. We actually caught the CMs singing the "Mainstreet USA" song last time. It was too cool.

I've heard nothing but good things about Windsor Hills!
Old 12-30-2010, 04:15 PM   #19
december
DIS Veteran

We have a DL and WDW version-watching the WDW one now. She got a flu shot this morning, and is really clingy, so I just crawled into my bed and put it in. I got them with rewards pts through disney movie rewards.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #20
Maria Rose
Earning My Ears

I'm loving your trip report! We're planning on taking our DS for his first trip to the world when he is around 15 months old, so I'm getting a lot of valuable tips through reading your report!!! Can't wait for more.
_________
Maria Rose
Old 01-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #21
BrooklynnsMommy
DIS Veteran

The first time Brooklynn met the fairies she just sat stood and stared at Iridessa. She was totally n character and asked Brooklynn if the cat had gotten her tongue then she got down and pretended to look in her mouth. brooklynn thought taht was pretty funny at almost 3 years old and that loosened hr up so she did great with Tink and Rosetta. She stills talks about Iridessa looking for "that cat in her mouth!"
Old 01-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #22
harleyquinn

Quote:
We have a DL and WDW version-watching the WDW one now. She got a flu shot this morning, and is really clingy, so I just crawled into my bed and put it in. I got them with rewards pts through disney movie rewards.
I didn't know there was a WDW version! I'll have to look for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Rose View Post
I'm loving your trip report! We're planning on taking our DS for his first trip to the world when he is around 15 months old, so I'm getting a lot of valuable tips through reading your report!!! Can't wait for more.
_________
Maria Rose
Thanks! If you have any questions at all, please ask! I'm having a hard time remembering to to post tips this time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynnsMommy View Post
The first time Brooklynn met the fairies she just sat stood and stared at Iridessa. She was totally n character and asked Brooklynn if the cat had gotten her tongue then she got down and pretended to look in her mouth. brooklynn thought taht was pretty funny at almost 3 years old and that loosened hr up so she did great with Tink and Rosetta. She stills talks about Iridessa looking for "that cat in her mouth!"
It was such a whirlwind for me! I can't wait to go again!

Updates coming!!
Old 01-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #23
harleyquinn

December 19th Cont.
Now I really wish we had stopped and visited the Princesses too, but Lily didn’t have her special Cindy dress on (I thought it was too cold that morning) and I knew we’d be back, so we skipped it.

Instead of the Princesses, I decided to visit the Judge’s Tent for the first time. We waited a couple of minutes and were then led into the room that contained Mickey AND Minnie! Lily was very excited when she saw them and I had a lot of trouble containing her while we waited for the families in front of us. When it was our turn, I put her down and she walked right over to them and sat on the ground. She was quite clearly saying, “Well hello, let’s play.” It was too cute.

The photopass pictures came out better.

I can’t remember what was so funny, but it really was one of the best interactions of the trip. Lily was just sooo happy to see her favorite mice.

She really didn’t want to leave, but we moved on. We took some pictures of Mickey’s Christmas decorations, which didn’t turn out very well. I’ll post if there is a demand.

We still had time before our Peter FP, we were just flying through everything. So we hit one of Lily’s favorite rides, Cindy’s ( Prince whoever) Carousel. It forever (well seemed like) to get spinning and Lily was getting sick of not moving, but she really enjoyed it. I’m pretty much sure were waited for it to start longer than the actual ride runs, but she was happy.

DH’s attempt to get us all in a picture:

Next we rode It’s a Small World. It was closed in August, so I was really looking forward to her reaction. Very smart of Disney to switch around the exit and entrance! She was a bit scared at the beginning and did the, “no, no, no” thing again, but once she saw the kids, she was enthralled. The ride moved a LOT slower than I remember, and we got stuck in an overload of boats at the end, but we all enjoyed it very much. I know some people can’t stand it, but to me IASW IS WDW.

We exited exactly when our FPs for Peter started. I was a bit worried about her reaction, since she wasn’t digging the dark aspects of the rides we had done so far. I actually ruled out Snow White before we even left for the trip, since that one scared her last time. They don’t put “Scary” in the title for no reason!

She clung to me for the ride and clearly didn’t really enjoy herself, but she didn’t freak out either.

I was starting to get really hungry and I swear it was getting colder as the morning progressed, so we decided to head over to Tomorrowland. We really like to eat at the Starlight Café. It was after 10:30 and I thought they were closed (they weren’t. The burger part was open, but not the others.) So we decided to ride the People Mover. I stopped and FP’d Buzz. On our way over we saw:

Stitch was the only character that Lily was really afraid of last time, but obviously she got over it. He even “ate” her head, and she just though he was hilarious. Stitch is always one of my favorite characters to meet, because he just about always does something funny. The first time we saw him, he picked his nose and wiped it on DH. Yes, he’s gross, but I love him. The image of him eating DD will stay with me forever (in a good way!)

Lily really loved the People Mover last time. It was very relaxing. This time it was very cold! The wind was blowing and we just all huddled together.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #24
harleyquinn

December 19th, Cont.
We headed over to eat. We were a couple of minutes early and it was really empty, so I followed Lily as she ran around. The chicken was sooo good, much better than when we’ve gone a little later in the day. Lily really enjoyed my chocolate cake dessert. Unfortunately, we’ve definitely being overdeveloping her sweet tooth lately.

If you’ve read the last report you know that one of the big successes of that trip was Lily’s behavior at the restaurants. As long as we had plenty of snacks, she was happy to sit and soak in the attention. This trip? Not so much.

She started squirming and was crabby almost right away. I could see that the Tiny Diner was going to be useless. She just tore it off the table and wanted to throw everything. So we ate fast!

We got out in one piece and used out Buzz FPs. We’ve decided that whoever controls the vehicle (and isn’t holding a baby) has a much better chance of getting a high score. I think I had under 1000 points? Lol

We headed toward the hub and there was a parade going on. I was surprised since it was nowhere near 3:00. It was the Move It, Shake It, Celebrate it parade. There were relatively few people around, and we never get to see the afternoon parade, so we stayed to watch. We had no idea that you actually get to move into the street around the castle hub and dance with the characters. I watched the stroller and took pictures and video while DH and DD had a blast. It was great!

I thought I took a lot more pictures, but I must have been filming instead. DH was very tired after dancing, but he really had a blast. He told me he got all teary at one point thinking about how awesome it was to be there dancing with his daughter. Awww.

Here’s a tip! Try to snag a spot near the opening into the Main street hub. If you can, get in the middle (where the statue of Walt is) instead of on the outside. There will be a float right in the intersection that has Goofy, Minnie and Mickey. When the dancing happens, you can dance with Goofy on the left side (facing Main Street) or M & M on the right. Otherwise you’ll dance with Frozone or Mr. Incredible near the entrance to Tomorrowland. I don’t know who was on the other side.

We decided to leave at this point, because Lily was tired and it was really cold. I stopped to take a couple of photos.

Crowds had picked up and I could tell it would be a very busy afternoon.

So I went through the turnstile to discover DH with a bemused grin on his face. He does this thing where he dances with Lily in her stroller—spins her around and makes her giggle. Well, he spun her only to discover:

She fell asleep! She only fell asleep once in her stroller on the last trip and didn’t stay that way long, so I figured she wouldn’t this time. I was wrong and this time she passed out. And she was OUT. So we reentered the park. There was no way I was going to pull her out and wake her up to get on the bus. We decided to hit the shops on Main Street, but they were really crowded. DH wanted me to buy something nice for myself this trip, so we were looking through the stores on the Bakery side (which we much less crowded). I don’t know how I never noticed the glass blowing place at the back of the glass store. It was nice and warm in the back so I pulled off the blanket and sat on the floor while DH looked around.
I had to take a picture of these. So cool.

Lily was still asleep and it was still early, probably 11:45 ish? So we walked back up through the Main street hub to see if Tiana was out.

In August we saw Tiana a couple of times, but never stopped to take a pic. For some reason, DH really wanted to get one this time, but we always showed up at the worst times. This time the CM told us she would be back in 15 minutes, which is too long to wait with a getting-crankier-by-the- second toddler. They had her gazebo all decked out.

As we got near the gazebo, Lily woke up. We decided to see if we could catch Country Bears and then leave. So we walked past Tiana’s gazebo and heading into Frontierland and came across:

I don’t know why that’s the only picture I have of the band. Lol And no, it wasn’t meant to be a rude gesture!

I had DH park over there to watch while I went shopping at the nearby Christmas store in order to get the blanket I was becoming obsessed with. It was getting really, really cold and I wanted to get the blanket deal. (Spend $40 and get the fleece throw for $15) We had gift cards to burn, and I knew I wanted to get DD her first stocking, which was $22, so spending another $18 should be easy right? I got her a Minnie stocking and looked around for something else to buy. I settled for the Mickey santa headband that was on clearance for $16.99

and grabbed some candy to make it to $40, but I really didn’t want the headband or the candy so I kept looking and agonizing. They had a small Nemo ornament that I probably should have picked up, but it was $12.99, which was way too much.

I was in there for about 10 minutes, when DH and DD came in to find me. I showed the stocking to DD and she grabbed it and started sucking on Minnie’s nose. I knew then I should find something else to let her suck on, so I picked out the Christmas Tree Goofy plush that she’s clinging to in the photos of the Boardwalk giant chair. It was $14.99 (way too expensive, but he is really cute and she loved him!) and I grabbed a bag of chocolate covered pretzels. Whew! Quite a hectic shopping trip with a pretty full store.

DH also took this while they watched the band:

I snuggled the blanket around DD who was very happily munching on Goofy’s nose and the ornaments. That blanket got a LOT of use over the week. We did bring a small blanket from home to use for the stroller, but this one was much warmer.

I tried to find a picture of it and this is what I came up with:

I really hope that’s not it, because that’s the same blanket I bought in 2008. I swear the one we got has both castles on it (DL and WDW). I’ll have to look. I love them both, so it’s cool. They are light fleece, but super soft and warm. They have a weird smell to them that goes away with a wash. Both of them had it! (ETA: It's the same blanket from 2008. lol)

We headed over to the Country Bears, but it had a 12 minute wait, so we decided to save it for later and head out or maybe to Pirates? It’s the only reason I can think that we took the long way around past Splash Mountain, where I took this:

OMG! Had the crowds finally arrived (it had been a wonderful medium crowd afternoon, after a low crowd morning)? Nope the group you see near the back of the picture was a school. Once we got past them, it was better, but noticeably more crowded.

We skipped pirates, because it had a 15 minute wait and it was clear that Lily was done, so we headed to the exit. And we left for real this time!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #25
harleyquinn

Well I hope someone is still reading.

December 19th, Cont.

At least we finally made it through MK, the rest of the day is pretty short.

We took a few more pictures back the resort. This is when I saw the giant chair and got stars in my eyes about taking pictures in it every year.

I was really worried, because I knew Lily needed another nap before dinner, and we only had about an hour before we had to walk over to Epcot for dinner at Le Cellier. She was wide awake and happy in the room, so we played and watched some Disney Channel.

Then it was off to dinner. This was our first experience walking over to Epcot and it was just as awesome as I thought it would be. I could tell that Lily was getting very close to naptime meltdown. One of the waitresses slathered her in stickers while we waited. She was so nice and Lily warmed up to her and lost a bit of her attitude. On the last trip Lily LOVED this meal, especially the pretzel bread. FLASHBACK!

So we ask our very friendly server to bring us all pretzel bread. Lily only ate a little and it was a very difficult meal. I managed to finish my SUPER yummy mushroom filet (oh, boy it was soooo good). She really started to lose it, so I told DH to order me a Moose to go and I took her out of her highchair and let her explore a bit.

Le Cellier is small and the staff moves very fast. We had witnessed a waitress zip out of the kitchen area and trip over a child that was near the door. He wasn’t in front of it, but over through a path that was much used by the staff. I didn’t want a repeat, so I took her outside. She had tons of fun walking around chasing some ducks and looking at the water. Chasing her was very tiring! It seemed to take forever, but DH finally appeared with my moose to go (he got one too, that I ate later in the week. Hehe)

He’s soo cute and nummy!

We had the first experience of forcing an unhappy toddler into her stroller. It wouldn’t be the last time. I really was unprepared for this behavior. Plenty of wonderful Dissers had warned me that the trip is very different when they start walking, but I really didn’t think the restaurants would be a big deal. They are. She hates to sit still for more than maybe 10 minutes. Nearly every meal was like this. There was nothing I could do to entertain her. Everything that worked so well before was now a complete failure. It wasn’t a deal breaker or so awful I would tell anyone with a toddler to never try it.

In hindsight, I definitely would have skipped the dining plan. Counter service locations are always loud and crazy and a restless toddler is a sight every few tables, but table service is different. Not to mention, we could have saved a lot of money, especially due to the 30% off counter service coupon that was available. If you really want to do the DP, make sure you’ve been eating out a lot near the trip. We hadn’t been since we were so busy.

You have to take time to let the toddler run wild. Maybe right before dinner? We never tried that.

So anyway, we headed out of the park. It was VERY crowded. EMH night and the last night of a sold out MVMCP, which meant MK was closed to anyone without a prepurchased ticket.

So we got thought the turnstile and I noticed that…DD was asleep again! So for the second time that day, we re-entered the park. Wrong choice. We should have just walked around the Boardwalk. It was so crowded. I’ve never seen WS that bad.

We made it to Japan where I snapped this in the little museum area:

It was nice and quiet and warm in there and…yep, DD woke up briefly, but fell back asleep as we started moving. DH navigated the stroller through the crazy crowds and we made it back through the turnstiles before she woke up.

She played in the room for a bit, but fell asleep shortly after. We all turned in for an early night.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #26
BrooklynnsMommy
DIS Veteran

It is definitely a different world once they start walking. We try to only do one or two table service meals during a 10 day trip and at least one of those is a character meal. We also love Whispering Canyon Cafe because it is loud and entertaining for kids, plus great food. I keep two containers of playdough in my bag (2 girls = 2 containers). Just the party favor size. The girls love it! It doesn't take up much room and is really easy to clean up.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #27
december
DIS Veteran

Katie did really good at WCC on our June trip, sice as the PP said it is so rowdy in there. And she loved TRex. But our other meals were a disaster. Between my sister complaining and Katie screaming (especially when a character came close), I was ready to have a tantrum myself!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #28
harleyquinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynnsMommy View Post
It is definitely a different world once they start walking. We try to only do one or two table service meals during a 10 day trip and at least one of those is a character meal. We also love Whispering Canyon Cafe because it is loud and entertaining for kids, plus great food. I keep two containers of playdough in my bag (2 girls = 2 containers). Just the party favor size. The girls love it! It doesn't take up much room and is really easy to clean up.
Oh I love that idea, we haven't introduced Lily to playdough yet.

Quote:
Katie did really good at WCC on our June trip, sice as the PP said it is so rowdy in there. And she loved TRex. But our other meals were a disaster. Between my sister complaining and Katie screaming (especially when a character came close), I was ready to have a tantrum myself!
I totally understand. You'll see that she did really well at the character meals, it was just the others that were hard.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #29
harleyquinn

Monday, December 20

Today was an Epcot day. I decided if we managed to get up early enough, we could do the Character Spot, but it wasn’t a huge draw since we had done it 4 months earlier and would be seeing them all at various character meals. (Just a note if you think this way too…just remember that the Character Spot has the Fab 5 AND Photopass photogs, if that is important to you.)

So we walked in (no buses—yay!) around 9:20 or so and headed straight to Nemo. Lily just loves Nemo. Almost as much as she loves Mickey and the gang. We dressed much warmer this morning since we were no longer fooled by the warmer air outside our balcony. She got super excited as soon as she saw this:

She said, “Mine! Mine! Mine!”

We took time to take these pics since it’s her favorite and the best Nemo shot we got last time was:

As we were heading off I heard the CM say, “final loading for Turtle Talk.” So we made a b-line and ended up at the very back of the theatre, which turned out to be a very good thing. A family with a 10 month old boy was hanging out there with us and he made adorable (drooly) googily eyes at Lily. She wasn’t interested in robbing the cradle, so she patted him on the head and said, “boy.” She does the same thing with our cats. We always pet them and say, “good boy,” because they are so awesome with her. She often does this with other children now. She actually can say the whole phrase now and it’s really funny.

We had skipped Crush on the last trip, because I was sure she wouldn’t want to sit still. I’m sure we would have had a much better chance at staying back then, when she wasn’t walking than we did this time. It was clear from the start that we wouldn’t make it. So DH and I looked at each other and just nodded and we headed out.

Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately) this single attraction changed the trip for us. We avoided any other show attractions. I’ll get to more detail later, but I wish we had at least tried one more time.

So we exited Crush and I suggested we just go ride Nemo again. In my opinion, Epcot has very little to offer a child this age. The Character Spot, Nemo and the Seas in general, and Figment are pretty much the only things we’ve done with her. I LOVE Universe of Energy, but there is no way I’m going on a 45 minute ride with a toddler! Innoventions has nothing to offer her. The Mexico ride and Malestrom are doable, but somehow we managed to miss them this time.

All that said, Epcot is worth the admission for the Character Spot (and the princess greetings in WS if you can hit them at the right time) and The Seas. My baby just loooves all the fish and the dolphins and Nemo.

So after the second ride we spent some time looking around, but it was starting to get a little crowded, and I prefer the Seas empty.

We walked over to Journey into Imagination. Lily was apprehensive again, but was okay by the end. She doesn’t like the smell area or the end with the big blast of air (but who really does? Did they really have to pick that smell?)

Lily was happy to run around the empty (and heavily under construction) Imageworks for a bit. She loved making music with Figment last time, but was totally uninterested this time, because it meant she had to be held. She just wanted to be free.

So we left and decided to head towards Japan for lunch. We love the orange chicken. We stopped and took a lot of photopass pictures. A pre-emptive note on my PP pictures…Lily’s in the stroller in nearly all of them. It was so hard this time to pull her out and her be willing to go back in. So our photo memories are more realistic! She was in the stroller, not in our arms anyway, right? *sigh* It was honestly worth it for her to be happier, but the pictures aren’t the best.
Some on the way to Japan pics:

So during our meal in Japan, Lily really lost it. She was ready for a nap. NOW! And was not willing to do it in the stroller like yesterday. So I held her for a bit, but even that wasn’t okay with her. So we (bad parents) forced her screaming into her stroller again and got the heck outta Dodge (or Japan, or whatever! ) Note about this. We noticed her schedule was completely off for some reason. She was tired and melting down MUCH earlier than she ever does. It was part of the reason we slept in and missed the Character Spot. We normally don’t have her out at naptime. We do take her out and let her sleep in the car if we have to, but we avoid public ridicule by being home when she’s tired. So we were just unprepared to be dealing with this around 11am every day. I’m sure you can see how difficult this made touring since 11 is prime early-lunch-before-a-few-more-rides time.

So big touring with a toddler tip. Expect the unexpected. You just can’t plan for everything, but you have to plan to go with the flow when necessary.

After a few minutes in the stroller, she was still crying, and I can’t deal with my baby crying (especially in public). Some people can. I wish I had a higher tolerance. So I pulled her back out and we sat down by the lagoon. I held her and sang to her, but she was clearly not going to fall asleep in the middle of WDW again.

You would never know how trying Lily was being from this:

I have another with her holding my Croc in her face. We were playing one of her favorite games, “Oh, that’s stinky!” lol Somehow that one didn’t get uploaded. While I entertained DD, DH took a few pics.

Lily decided she wanted to run around. So we stopped over here:

She would have happily spent the day here. If you aren’t familiar this is a big train village in World Showcase. She loved to run up the path and around and around and chase the trains. A couple of boys came over and were chasing the trains, and she started chasing them. It’s so funny how a tired, crying baby can turn into a super happy Toddler, when you actually let them toddle. I was told that time and again on my advice threads, but until that moment, watching her run around, I really didn’t get it. Plan toddle time!

We let her tire herself (and me) out, got her back in the stroller and back to the Boardwalk. We had a nice nap and some run around the room time. Oh and took these:

Next up: Back to Epcot for dinner. Will we manage a meal without a meltdown?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:34 AM   #30
Curiouser&curiouser!
DIS Veteran

Great updates! Lots of good tips for when I go this year with my (then) 2 year old.

I wasn't planning on many sit down meals, and your description of Le Cellier has sealed the deal for me! We don't do to many normally at home anyway(It bugs me spending all that money, and then I gulp down a meal that I don't even enjoy! Boo to that!), so it won't be much of a change. We may do one or two over our 9 day trip, but that's it I think.

And I have made a mental note to let my toddler toddle!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: