Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #31
Daddy_of_Princesses
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

Caught up and subbing. Sounds like you go alot done in New York.

1987 - offsite / 1988 - offsite School Trip / 2007 - ASMo / 2010 - AKL and Poly / 2013 CB
Old 01-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #32
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy_of_Princesses View Post
Caught up and subbing. Sounds like you go alot done in New York.
Hi! Thanks for reading... next update on its way

Emma
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #33
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 3 - NYC

Friday 10th December

We woke up early again this morning, always takes a few days to adjust to the time zone!
Once up & ready to go – we headed out to Penn Station, and took the subway to Lexington Avenue.

Unfortunately, I’d slightly misread the map and we weren’t as close to where we wanted to go as I’d thought… so we stopped for some breakfast at Europa Café – tea & Danish for Steve, latte & muffin for me – we noticed at this café (and at most places we went to in NYC) that every menu item had calorie content listed next to it.. I hadn’t seen this before, think it’s a good idea.. even if a little scary to see just how many calories in certain foods!!

After eating, we walked up Madison Avenue ..

turned right into 59th Street … and to…

Bloomingdale’s!

We knew about this store mostly from the tv series Friends (“My Mom calls it Bloooomies!”) so we were excited to go in.. it was very posh & trendy, reminded me of Harvey Nichols & Selfridges in London.

I bought some Estee Lauder makeup as a Christmas present for Steve’s sister, then we wandered around all the different levels.. really liked the holidays section.

After Bloomies, we walked along 60th Street to Central Park.

We wandered by the zoo

And to about halfway up the park (couldn’t believe just how big it was!)

There was a saxophonist playing in a square, it was really nice to listen to!

We headed west and stopped at a lovely little café for a hot chocolate & treat

We headed south again, out of the park – and stopped to watch something being filmed!

Loved the wheelbarrows filled with snow!

Didn’t see anyone famous, but it was fun to see.

We walked out to Columbus Circle, and down Broadway towards Times Square… had to keep popping in to shops to get warm again!

This made us quote the Muppets 3D pre-show…

(That is NOT Mickey Mouse!) hehe.

Next, we got a subway to Canal Street so that we could explore SoHo a bit. I was amazed how different the streets & buildlings were in this part of the city.. sorry, not many photos, hands got very cold again.

We stopped at a bar/restaurant called Fenelli’s for lunch – it was heaving with people, but we only had to wait 5 minutes for a table, I loved how close all the tables were.. it was obviously very popular!
I had chilli & steve had a club sandwich and extra onion rings… there was so much food, we were so full up when we left!

We walked back to the subway, and got a train to 34th Street – headed back to the hotel for a rest.

The plan for the evening had been to meet up with our friends Jenny (MrsDisneyB2B) and Vinnie.. we met with them in July 2009 in WDW – and since they’ve had a little baby!!
We were going to head over to Brooklyn to see them, but unfortunately Jenny had flu and was too ill to see us… it was a shame, would have been lovely to meet them again – never mind, next time we visit the city we’ll see them!

After a nap, we got ready to go out again. We stopped in the hotel gift shop for some souvenirs – ‘I heart NY’ tshirt for Steve’s sister & a postcard for my Nan (she loves getting postcards from all over the world!).

The sun was going down & the temperature was already dropping.. in fact, there was a few flakes of snow in the air!!
So we got the subway to Times Square (50th Street), and wandered to the Rockefeller Centre.

(there were quite a lot of Navy men around Times Square on this night.. it reminded me of an SATC episode!)

Lovely to see the tree again – it’s so impressive!

We stopped at a Baja Fresh for a bite to eat (taco for Steve, salad for me) –

then wandered back to the hotel. It was only 8.30pm, but we decided to pack the suitcases & have an early night.. because … tomorrow…

We’re going to Disney World!!
Old 01-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #34
Daddy_of_Princesses
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

I'm guessing Mickey wasn't that impressive. We went to a place in town for Halloween that had characters for the kids. We were less than impressed. Minnie Mouse looked horrible, like she was addicted to crack or something. Same with Elmo and Barney. They had Cinderella, but she was portrayed by an Asian lady. Really, an Asian Cinderella, why not have her be Mulan for crying out loud.

woohoo on heading to Disney.

Updating to inlcude pictures of bad characters.

Bad Barney

He is red and furry, but not really Elmo.

Minnie? Really?

No pic of Asian Cinderella, I do have some standards and the kids had no interest.

1987 - offsite / 1988 - offsite School Trip / 2007 - ASMo / 2010 - AKL and Poly / 2013 CB
Old 01-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #35
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

hehe yes those are just like the characters we saw around Rockefeller & Times Square! ... we overheard Elmo & Cookie Monster talking one day.. and Mickey & Minnie were waaay too tall

I'd rather see the real Mouse in WDW!
Old 01-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #36
Where'sPiglet?
I'm going to try something different this month
Do I LOOK like I know what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybarbie View Post

Unfortunately, I’d slightly misread the map and we weren’t as close to where we wanted to go as I’d thought… so we stopped for some breakfast at Europa Café – tea & Danish for Steve, latte & muffin for me – we noticed at this café (and at most places we went to in NYC) that every menu item had calorie content listed next to it.. I hadn’t seen this before, think it’s a good idea.. even if a little scary to see just how many calories in certain foods!!
The calorie count thing is a city law they introduced a few years back. It applies to chain restaurants that have more than 10 locations in the city (or something like that). I believe the calorie numbers have to be in the same font size as the price. I have heard rumors that this may be going nationwide sometime in the near future.

I've seen those knock off characters around NYC and some other places too. They are so ridiculous!

Thanks for another update with great photos! It sounds like you had a nice visit to NYC. Too bad your friend was sick and you didn't get to see her.

1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013 ~*~ Disneyland

2010 Princess Half Marathon Trip Report
Old 01-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #37
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Friday 10th December

every menu item had calorie content listed next to it.. I hadn’t seen this before, think it’s a good idea.. even if a little scary to see just how many calories in certain foods!!
I HATE that they do this. I seriously makes me want to starve myself.

Quote:
Next, we got a subway to Canal Street so that we could explore SoHo a bit. I was amazed how different the streets & buildlings were in this part of the city.
I love downtown. I used to work in SoHo and LOVED it. Everything is so different there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy_of_Princesses View Post
Minnie Mouse looked horrible, like she was addicted to crack or something.
Your pictures made me

DH sees Minnie's on crack in Bklyn everyday. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where'sPiglet? View Post
The calorie count thing is a city law they introduced a few years back. It applies to chain restaurants that have more than 10 locations in the city (or something like that). I believe the calorie numbers have to be in the same font size as the price. I have heard rumors that this may be going nationwide sometime in the near future.

I've seen those knock off characters around NYC and some other places too. They are so ridiculous!
I'll say it again. I really hate the calorie count thing. It takes me hours to figure out what I want to eat b/c I can't get over the amount of calories in everything.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #38
Swalphin
DIS Veteran

Emma,
Great update you did so much in NYC. With all of the walking you did not need to worry about calories in anything you ate. I do think it is a great idea to have that information listed, I would like them to list fat grams as well, hope they do that nationwide. Can't wait for your WDW post, I think I mentioned we were there the same dates as you! Have a great weekend.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #39
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

A knock-off Mickey?!

The tree in Rockefeller Center is so beautiful! I am so jealous that you got to go to NYC during the holidays - that has always been such a dream of mine. It seems like it would be even more magical and exciting then.

I'm so excited you're about to head off to Disney!
Old 01-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #40
TanzUnited99
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you had a great time roaming around Bloomingdales. Would love the idea of a calories list in the UK food eateries but not when I'm on holiday!

Looking forward to your Disney World updates
TanzUnited99
Old 01-09-2011, 05:14 AM   #41
irishdancer86
DIS Veteran

Loved the Macy bear decorations, agree it's really sad that the shop assistant has never had a xmas tree! especially working in a shop and area that is so christmassy!

I felt so cool when we got the little brown bags from Bloomingdales!!! all your meals sound and look really nice! I'd heard about the calorie count being included on the menu, my friend had to leave TGI Fridays in NY because of it, she's had problems with eating and it just upset her too much but I suppose that has to be balanced with people trying hard to eat a bit more healthily...

Looking forward to the Disney leg of the trip!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #42
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

thanks for all the info on the calorie counting in NY! .. apparently Macdonalds in the UK is going to start doing it this year.
In the Europa Cafe we went to for breakfast, there was a salad bar where you could make up your own.. and every single ingredient had the calories listed next to it (even 'balsamic vinegar.. 5') .. I imagined people would be in line with a pen & paper, adding up their calories before ordering! But Swalphin, I think you're right.. we did do soo much walking in NYC (and Disney!) that there was no need to worry about calories! espeically as we were on vacation

My cold/flu seems to be clearing up today.. hoping to do another update later! Mickey... here we come!

Emma x
Old 01-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #43
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 4 ... we're going to Disney World!

Saturday 11th December

I set an alarm for 6.45am .. plenty of time for showers, getting ready & final packing!

We went down to the lobby just before 8am, there was no check out really at the hotel, just dropped our room keys in a box near the lifts.. then we met our driver & got in the town-car.. on our way to Newark airport.

It was a beautiful morning, and (I guess as it was a Saturday) the roads were quite quiet.

Very soon, we were at the airport! A Continental airlines member of staff greeted us & we did curb-side check in (we don’t have this in England and Steve was a bit confused why someone was taking away our luggage when we weren’t even in the airport!)
I also had a rather blonde moment.. the guy noticed we had UK passports, and said “Oh, you have a big wedding next year, don’t you?” … I was thinking “WOW .. how does he know we’re getting married, just by looking at our passports?!” …. Then realised, he was talking about Prince William & Kate Middleton … not our wedding …. Hehe!!!

Once in the terminal, it took no time at all to get through security – we found our gate, and then stopped for some breakfast: coffees, bagels & a fruit cup.

We bought some magazines at a shop, then sat at the gate… I loved how many other passengers were wearing Disney tshirts/sweaters.. and kids carrying Mickey plush toys!!

Pretty soon, we were boarding the plane … it was a much smaller plane than I’ve been on for a long time, and I found it to be a bit bumpy the whole way! At least it was only a 2.5 hour flight… and it obviously wasn’t turbulence as the captain didn’t put the seatbelt signs on once… just me being a nervy flyer I guess!

It was fun for us to get off a plane at Orlando and just walk straight out to baggage claim.. no long lines at Immigration this time, as we’d already done that at JFK a few days earlier!

Pretty soon.. we were on our first ‘ride’ of the vacation..

Monorail!

We waited about 20 minutes for our bags, then we went down the stairs to the Magical Express check-in area… it was sooo busy! Luckily though, the long lines all seemed to be for other resorts… we only had to wait 5 minutes and we were heading outside to our bus

We found it so nice to be in warm sunny weather again! (Although that would all change in 48 hours time!)

The bus ride seemed to fly by (think it’s because I was watching the video so intently!)

The gate!

– our first stop was at Port Orleans Riverside

Most people got off the bus here – and soon we were on our way ‘home’..

Boardwalk!

We went in to the lobby & straight to the check-in desk… the CM gave us room 4029 .. and said “that’s a lovely room!” – then a moment later noticed the ‘Engagement’ celebration on our reservation… and she gave us the ‘Just Engaged’ buttons! She asked all about how Steve how proposed… seemed genuinely excited for us!

(I loved having the button to wear – I’ve never had more people say ‘Congratulations’ to me!)

We headed to the lifts, up to the fourth floor… and along the corridor to our wonderful, Boardwalk-view studio!

The view…

Old 01-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #44
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

The wedding comment at the airport cracked me up!

Your view at the Boardwalk is so pretty! I can't wait to check out that area on the honeymoon - I've never been there before!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #45
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 4 - continued...

We unpacked as quick as we could – got changed, and headed straight out!

(looking back up at our room from the Boardwalk!)

We’d not had any lunch (didn’t really fancy the snack packs on the plane), and it was about 3.30pm – so we just stopped for a slice of pizza on the Boardwalk.

While sat eating, we saw a seagull land on a lady’s head! Luckily she was ok about it and laughed …but I wish people wouldn’t feed the birds in WDW, some of them are far too tame & aren’t scared of humans anymore.

Soon we were strolling around Crescent Lake, on our way to the International Gateway.

We stopped at the ticket booth to buy…. Two annual passes! Once the CM had taken our details, she said “ok .. your total is $1012” … and a guy behind us in the queue said “WOW!! I thought my tickets were expensive!”
Then we went over to the Guest Relations window and bought a Tables in Wonderland card (just $75 for that one lol).

Then.. we headed in to Epcot!
The park felt busy, but it was a Saturday afternoon – we walked round to Futureworld, the ‘Divine’ singers were singing Christmas carols..

We checked out the times board.. apart from Soarin’ and Test Track, nothing had a very long wait – so we decided our first attraction would be…

Spaceship Earth (a favourite!)

Next, we wandered over to Mission Space.. only a 5 minute wait!! We do the orange (‘more intense’) version of this.

After a successful mission to Mars, we wandered over to World Showcase – to the Mexico Pavillion!

We went inside the pavilion, there was no line at all for the Gran Fiesta Tour, so we went to see Donald and the Caballeros.

We headed outside, stopping to look at the menu at the new La Hacienda restaurant – I was thinking about it for one of our honeymoon meals, but Steve wasn’t sure if he liked the menu.

Decided it was time to celebrate being in Disney World! We went to the Margerita stand, I got a fiesta margarita & Steve got a beer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: