Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #16
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

I'm here! Great so far! The room you had is bigger than some apartments in the city so you lucked out! I've yet to see the Disney store in Times Square yet but that's what happens when you live here. I've lived in NY for my whole life (never more than an hour outside Manhattan) and I've still never been to the Statue of Liberty!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #17
irishdancer86
DIS Veteran

I'm in...great start!!! New York at christmas just seems to have the essence of christmas! ice skating, rockefeller tree...so cool!

And for finding the disney store on your first day! My Nana brought me home an I Heart NY shopper bag with mickey instead of a heart for my lunch!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #18
Stefy
Fantasising of our next DCL & WDW Trip

I'm in popcorn:

Going back to read
Old 01-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #19
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Subbing! NYC is so much fun -- love your pics! And that I-mickey-NY bag is sooo cute. Looking forward to more!
Old 01-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #20
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
I'm here! Great so far! The room you had is bigger than some apartments in the city so you lucked out! I've yet to see the Disney store in Times Square yet but that's what happens when you live here. I've lived in NY for my whole life (never more than an hour outside Manhattan) and I've still never been to the Statue of Liberty!
Hi! Thanks for reading I was prepared for a small hotel room at the New Yorker.. it was the only bad thing people seemed to write about it on Trip Advisor!
We're the same with London.. I've lived within an hour of the city most of my life but there's so many places I've never visited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdancer86 View Post
I'm in...great start!!! New York at christmas just seems to have the essence of christmas! ice skating, rockefeller tree...so cool!

And for finding the disney store on your first day! My Nana brought me home an I Heart NY shopper bag with mickey instead of a heart for my lunch!
Hi! It really was lovely to be there in December.. felt very festive everywhere!
I'm so pleased I got one of the 'I heart NY' Disney bags!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy View Post
I'm in popcorn:

Going back to read
Hi Stefy! Thanks for joining in... update to come very soon!

Emma x
Old 01-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #21
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 2 - NYC

Thursday 9th December

Due to the jet lag & busy Manhattan streets below us, we both woke up very early! We got up around 7.30am, got ready – and headed out of the hotel, and across the street to Penn Station.

The train station was still quite busy with commuters, so rather than try to navigate the subway for the first time during rush hour, we stopped at a little bakery/deli for breakfast (I think it was called ‘Zavos’) .. Steve had a plain bagel & a green tea, I had a blueberry bagel & a latte.

Really good value, and tasty!

After breakfast, we used one of the self-service machines to buy Metro tickets.. we loaded them with $8 each, and got an extra 15% too! (We also got excited because the machine gave us $1 coins as change… never seen them before!)
We caught a no.1 subway train downtown to South Ferry.
Once out of the station, I straight away saw the Staten Island Ferry terminal… and a ferry had just pulled in.. and it’s free! We walked onto the boat and found some seats near a window… we didn’t sit down for long though as we wanted to stand up and see the view!

Ellis Island

Statue of Liberty

Another passenger kindly offered to take our photo!

Once at Staten Island, we looped right back around and got a ferry back to Manhattan. This time, Steve wanted to stand outside at the front of the boat.. to get some photos with his new camera. I only lasted outside for about a minute.. I honestly think that was the coldest I have ever been in my life!

Once back in the city, we walked up Broadway and through the business district… saw Wall Street, the Chamber of Commerce and the Charging Bull statue.
By this point, we were both really cold… so decided it was time for a Starbucks break!

We were really close to Ground Zero now – so we walked the perimeter of the site. We saw the tribute to the NY Fire Department, and the plans for the new tower & memorial. I found it very moving & couldn’t quite believe that we were standing on the same streets that we’d seen on the news 9 years ago.

The new World Trade Centre being built

The memorial site

Next we went in to the World Financial Centre – didn’t really see much but it was nice to get inside & in the warm again

We walked on to city hall – this was a really pretty little park – with some overly-friendly squirrels!

Looking at the map, we noticed we were close to the Brooklyn Bridge.. so that was up next! We only walked about a third of the way along.. I really liked how the pedestrian walkway is up above the traffic.
It was pretty windy along the bridge.. we saw a lady lose her hat while posing for a photograph!

(sorry for lack of photos.. my hands were too cold to take pics but Steve had his camera out..I will get some to post here soon!)

Back in the city, we headed towards Church Street and Chinatown.

We wandered around the streets, and decided to stop for lunch. We found a lovely little restaurant – we had hot & sour soup, sweet & sour chicken, chilli shrimp, beef & broccoli and rice.. all for $18 + tip!

I wanted to see Little Italy too while we were in the area.. I was surprised how quickly the streets changed from ‘China’ to ‘Italy’ !

We got the subway – but unfortunately, we were on the wrong platform.. so had to come back up to the street, and use another journey on our metro-cards to head back uptown!

continued...
Old 01-05-2011, 05:11 PM   #22
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 2 - continued..

After getting off the train at 34th Street, we decided to go see how big the queue was for the Empire State Building..

I’d read in guide books that the line was often hours long – and we overheard some ticket touts say it was a 90 minute wait.. but we thought that wouldn’t be too bad.. and the queue would be inside!
When we got to the building, it turned out to be a 15 minute wait!!
The price was $21 each to the 86th floor, but we decided to pay the extra $15 each to get to the 102nd floor observation deck … and an $8 souvenir map – for my scrapbook!

This was probably one of our favourite things in the whole city! The building is a beautiful design.. and the views….. WOW!!!

(using a ‘fish eye’ effect on my camera!)

Us on the 86th floor..

Madison Square Gardens

Our hotel!

Us on the 102nd floor

After the ESB – we wandered to… Macy’s

It was a really nice store, much less formal than I’d imagined.. we liked the Christmas decorations & old-fashioned wooden escalators!

We went back to our hotel for a rest, couldn’t believe how much we’d seen & done so far that day!
I spoke to my Mum & Dad on Skype.. the hotel had free WiFi which was very convenient & a good speed connection too.

Sunset from our room

We headed back out at about 5pm, and visited Bryant Park – there was an ice skating rink & a Christmas market.

We walked towards Times Square … I really liked this building.. not sure what it was now..

We went into a bar for a drink but it was sooo busy, no where to sit or stand! So we kept walking and stopped at a Burger King Whopper café for something to eat… I usually never eat fastfood so Steve was excited we were eating there! We both had chicken sandwiches.
It was very very cold, and the jet lag was once again making us sleepy – so we headed back down to 34th street, we walked though Macy’s to warm up.. and I saw these, and had to buy them for our Christmas tree!

Back at the hotel, Steve had hoped he’d find an NFL game on to watch – but couldn’t find the ESPN channel.. so instead we watched some of Prep & Landing on abc, and then most of the movie ‘Cocktail’ (Tom Cruise).. it was a bit of a random thing to watch, but we quite enjoyed it!
Fast asleep by 10pm.. ready for another exciting day of NYC tomorrow!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #23
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

I love Bryant Park. Go during the summer one year. It's really cool how everyone just lays out on the grass and eats lunch.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #24
Where'sPiglet?
I'm going to try something different this month
Do I LOOK like I know what I'm doing

Nice update! I enjoyed your thoughts and all the pictures!

I think the building you liked near Bryant Park is a Bank of America building that was built sometime around 2006-2007 or so. Hopefully someone knows for sure what it is.

I liked your description of the squirrels in the park by City Hall. NYC squirrels are some sort of species unto themselves. I had one follow me out of a park and down the street once. I had to turn around and yell at it after it followed me for a half a block, all the while feeling quite foolish for yelling at a squirrel on a busy street!

I love the old wooden escalators in Macy's too!

1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013 ~*~ Disneyland

2010 Princess Half Marathon Trip Report
Old 01-06-2011, 03:44 AM   #25
Stefy
Fantasising of our next DCL & WDW Trip

Loving your NYC TR, looks like you got alot done and had a fantastic time. The NYC Vinyl is so cool, a defo must have
Old 01-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #26
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

I can't believe how much you guys have seen in just two days! You really keep moving! All of your pictures are wonderful!
Old 01-07-2011, 05:24 AM   #27
Sweet Pea UK
DIS Veteran

I'm all caught up here now too!

It is so spooky that I was in NY exactly the same time as you 10 years ago and stayed at the same hotel (although it has been renovated since then!) It meant I was there for the 20th Anniversary of John Lennons death - weird!!! It was also absolutely freezing when we were there too! When I look back on my photos - I look blue!!!

I am loving re-living your trip with you!!

Sara xx
Old 01-07-2011, 07:09 AM   #28
TanzUnited99
DIS Veteran

Love the updates! Sounds like you had a great time in New York and managed to do soo much in a short amount of time

Looking forward to reading more.
TanzUnited99
Old 01-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #29
exwdwcm
wishes she was Wendy Moira Angela Darling

Great update, love all of your photos- they are simply beautiful. so glad you splurged for the top of the empire state building, that looks amazing! and you got some great deals on breakfast and lunch too.

makes me really want to take a NYC trip now! I've only been once on business and all i saw was the hotel and convention center, i didn't have time to do much else and was by myself.

love the bears you got at Macy's too, so adorable!

WDW College Program-Fall 96
84, 86-FTW, 93-FTW, 97, 98-OFFSITE, 00-POR, 03, 04, 05-GAYLORD, 04-POFQ, 05-POR, 06-CBR, 07-AKL, May 09-DIS Podcast Cruise, DEC 09-DAP/WL, Sept 10-DL, DEC 10 BLT, FEB 10 JOINED DVC! AUG 11 DLH, OCT 11 BLT, NOV 2012 BLT
Old 01-08-2011, 10:20 AM   #30
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
I love Bryant Park. Go during the summer one year. It's really cool how everyone just lays out on the grass and eats lunch.
It was really nice there.. I'd love to go back to the city when it's a bit warmer too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where'sPiglet? View Post
Nice update! I enjoyed your thoughts and all the pictures!

I think the building you liked near Bryant Park is a Bank of America building that was built sometime around 2006-2007 or so. Hopefully someone knows for sure what it is.

I liked your description of the squirrels in the park by City Hall. NYC squirrels are some sort of species unto themselves. I had one follow me out of a park and down the street once. I had to turn around and yell at it after it followed me for a half a block, all the while feeling quite foolish for yelling at a squirrel on a busy street!

I love the old wooden escalators in Macy's too!
about the Squirrel!! ... I think you're right about the Bank Of America building.. I wasn't sure if it was that or a MET Life building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy View Post
Loving your NYC TR, looks like you got alot done and had a fantastic time. The NYC Vinyl is so cool, a defo must have
Thank you Stefy! Another day of NYC to go.. then we'll get to Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE View Post
I can't believe how much you guys have seen in just two days! You really keep moving! All of your pictures are wonderful!
hehe we had to keep moving so we didn't freeze in the cold! ... we do get lots done when we go on city breaks... love being able to walk everywhere & Manhattan was so easy to get around!

ps.. 23 weeks today fellow-bride-to-be!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea UK View Post
I'm all caught up here now too!

It is so spooky that I was in NY exactly the same time as you 10 years ago and stayed at the same hotel (although it has been renovated since then!) It meant I was there for the 20th Anniversary of John Lennons death - weird!!! It was also absolutely freezing when we were there too! When I look back on my photos - I look blue!!!

I am loving re-living your trip with you!!

Sara xx
Hi Sara, thank you for reading! .. that is soo spooky about our trips to NYC!! .. I think looking at our photos, it doesn't look cold - just beautifully sunny, it's hard to capture the freezing temperatures hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzUnited99 View Post
Love the updates! Sounds like you had a great time in New York and managed to do soo much in a short amount of time

Looking forward to reading more.
TanzUnited99
Thank you! we did get so much done, I was worried that 2.5 days wouldn't be anywhere near enough time in NYC, but we got around alot of the landmarks we wanted to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwdwcm View Post
Great update, love all of your photos- they are simply beautiful. so glad you splurged for the top of the empire state building, that looks amazing! and you got some great deals on breakfast and lunch too.

makes me really want to take a NYC trip now! I've only been once on business and all i saw was the hotel and convention center, i didn't have time to do much else and was by myself.

love the bears you got at Macy's too, so adorable!
Thank you! yes we decided we'd have to go to the top of the ESB, first time to the city! I'd definitely recommend a trip to NYC, it's our favourite city now (shhh.. don't tell London! )

When I bought those Macy's bears... the shop assistant asked if they were for a Christmas tree... she said she'd never had a tree at home I felt really bad for her!

I've managed to catch a nasty cold virus from Steve this weekend.. hibernating at home today, so I'm hoping to do another update!

Emma x

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: