Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #151
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephielela View Post
That's great that the Epcot CM stood by her decision! I am not surprised people get intoxicated in the World Showcase, but it would be nice if they would be more responsible!

Sounds like a wonderful day, I'm glad you had some decent weather!!
yup we were so pleased that the 'normal' Florida weather was returning! still can't quite believe I wore a coat & gloves in Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy View Post
So glad DHS the next day was alot better, you got lots done Never seen a 5min wait time for TSM cool that you got to be one of the first riders of the morning

Great dinner at Teppan, such a fun place to eat
it was a really nice day in DHS.. it's Steve's favourite park too so I was glad that we didn't have a repeat of the day before & everything being closed!!

We were tempted to book Teppan Edo again for honeymoon but decided on Nine Dragons instead.. I have been to TE on all 4 of my last trips!

You might remember that Steve & I had planned to meet with my Dis friend Jenny in NYC during this vacation, but unfortunately she was ill on the day ... well, I'd made something for her new baby son but didn't get to give it to him... when we got home I mailed it to Jenny a few weeks later.. and a month later.. she's finally received it! (guess that terrible NYC snow has affected the mail!)

Here it is..

It's an alphabet sampler with Finding Nemo characters it took me a few months to make but it was so nice to do.. and I think Jen liked it! (she posted a pic of it on facebook anyway hehe)

Just thought I'd share!

Emma x
Old 02-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #152
Swalphin
DIS Veteran

Emma,
Great day at Hollywood Studios. And finally some warm weather!
I love the top you have for your dinner at Teppan edo, really pretty.
I do not know how popular Duffy is here yet, I am kind of blah about him.
Not sure if he will take off or not.
Love the Tea Stand in China, my favorite is the Mango green tea w/o alcohol. It is so refreshing. The girls who work at that stand I think, are some of the best CM's in WS. Always so organized and professional and very sweet too. I always try and talk to them about their country and how hard it must be, being so far from home.

I hate public drunks, hate private ones too They just don't realize how rude and obnoxious they are being.

Your cross stitch, is beautiful. I envy people who are talented like that. It looks gorgeous and so special. Very sweet of you to take that much time, really thoughtful. I am sure she loved it!

Have a great week!
Brenda
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #153
Stefy
Fantasising of our next DCL & WDW Trip

Aww thats so cute, very thoughtful gift
Old 02-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #154
exwdwcm
wishes she was Wendy Moira Angela Darling

Emma, great gift, i love it- especially Nemo themed!

so what was the wasabi cocktail at Teppan Edo? we are going there for our first time in October, and I can't wait! what dessert do you recommend there? i hate that you can't use TIW there, but like you said, it will be worth it anyways paying full price.

wow, score on hitting the 3 bigs one before 9:45!!! that's awesome!

WDW College Program-Fall 96
84, 86-FTW, 93-FTW, 97, 98-OFFSITE, 00-POR, 03, 04, 05-GAYLORD, 04-POFQ, 05-POR, 06-CBR, 07-AKL, May 09-DIS Podcast Cruise, DEC 09-DAP/WL, Sept 10-DL, DEC 10 BLT, FEB 10 JOINED DVC! AUG 11 DLH, OCT 11 BLT, NOV 2012 BLT
Old 02-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #156
irishdancer86
DIS Veteran

the big 3 before 9.45, can't be bad to that!

I like yout ToT experience about the waving maintenance man, never the same ride twice!

Teppan Edo looks so good! do you think it would be suitable for a pretty plain eater? I would love to try it but would be scared of maybe wasting money because I'm such a fussy eater!

last night...o dear, so funny that the photographer checked the relationship status before adviing you to go for the kiss!
Old 02-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #157
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Thanks for reading aong everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwdwcm View Post
Emma, great gift, i love it- especially Nemo themed!

so what was the wasabi cocktail at Teppan Edo? we are going there for our first time in October, and I can't wait! what dessert do you recommend there? i hate that you can't use TIW there, but like you said, it will be worth it anyways paying full price.

wow, score on hitting the 3 bigs one before 9:45!!! that's awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdancer86 View Post

I like yout ToT experience about the waving maintenance man, never the same ride twice!

Teppan Edo looks so good! do you think it would be suitable for a pretty plain eater? I would love to try it but would be scared of maybe wasting money because I'm such a fussy eater!

last night...o dear, so funny that the photographer checked the relationship status before adviing you to go for the kiss!
for Teppan Edo... the wasabi tuna cocktail ("tuna sensation") was cubes of raw tuna ("sashimi" I think it's called.. sushi without the rice!) and pieces of avocado in a soy & wasabi sauce

Dessert.. I was suprised by how much I like the chocolate ginger cake, I've tried the green tea pudding there too (like a mousse, we only tried it as we were on the dining plan for CLP!) - but it's not somewhere I think people particularly go to for desserts

and I think it would be fine for a fussy eater! .. most mains are prepared by the chef so it's the same accompaniments of: rice, noodles, stir-fried vegetables.. then you choose chicken, steak, prawns (shrimp) or scallops (also in various combinations).
I went there with DF's family last summer & everyone found something they liked

Here is the menu on All Ears if you want to see! Teppan Edo

Emma x
Old 02-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #158
exwdwcm
wishes she was Wendy Moira Angela Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdancer86 View Post

i have to agree with Emma, although i've never eaten at Teppan, i am a picky eater. I don't eat salad- i don't like most veggies either and don't eat seafood. But i enjoy hibachi style cooking- i just stick to the steak and chicken and rice. i enjoy the noodles too.

WDW College Program-Fall 96
84, 86-FTW, 93-FTW, 97, 98-OFFSITE, 00-POR, 03, 04, 05-GAYLORD, 04-POFQ, 05-POR, 06-CBR, 07-AKL, May 09-DIS Podcast Cruise, DEC 09-DAP/WL, Sept 10-DL, DEC 10 BLT, FEB 10 JOINED DVC! AUG 11 DLH, OCT 11 BLT, NOV 2012 BLT
Old 02-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #159
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 10... all good things must come to and end..

Friday 17th December

Sadly this was our last day of the trip – but as our flight wasn’t until 7.30pm, we had several more hours at Disney to enjoy!

We got up and finished packing, said goodbye to the room and took our luggage to the lobby – bell services took it from us & organised a taxi to take us to..

Breakfast at the The Grand Floridian!

This is where we’re going to stay for our honeymoon, so I really wanted Steve to see it before.

The taxi took no time at all to get there, so we had 15-20 minutes to explore the hotel.

The gingerbread house…

We wandered up to the first floor and had a look at the menus for Citricos & Victoria & Albert’s (we have ADRs at both of these for honeymoon!)

Soon it was 8.30am and time for breakfast at .. 1900 Park Fare!
The waiting area was very quiet, we had our photo taken (no character there) but didn’t buy the photo package afterwards, seemed a bit too expensive at $30, especially when we already had had several taken with Photo Pass.

As the cast member opened the doors, we could see Pooh & Tigger wandering through the restaurant.. we were both grinning!
We ordered some coffee, then went to explore the buffet.

I had some fruit, mickey waffles, biscuits & sausage gravy (this would be a completely different dish in England – not a breakfast food!), bagel & smoked salmon.. and some of the strawberry soup. Steve had a more traditional cooked breakfast – we both really enjoyed the food & also the juice that’s served (I think it’s orange, mango & passionfruit).

During the meal, we met with some very fun characters!

The Mad Hatter made a real fuss over us when he saw my ‘Just Engaged’ button, he shouted over to Alice to come look at my ring.. she pretended to be blinded by the diamond! … he said “oh look Aliiiicccce… He Put A Ring On It!!!”

After a great breakfast, we hopped on the monorail to the Magic Kingdom.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #160
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 10.. continued...

It was about 9.15am and the park wasn’t too busy at all..

We went to Fantasyland first, I wanted to see the new Pooh queue area!

Really like the enhancements, particularly the honey walls.

Next we went to Tomorrowland, and road Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin again..

We saw Push the Trash Can..

Then we went on Stitch’s Greatest Escape – not my favourite attraction but I think it’s all really well themed.

We walked back to the hub, and saw some of the show going on…

We walked down Main Street and into the Emporium..

I wanted to get my sister a present (she was picking us up from the airport.. which turned out to be quite an adventure for all of us! … stay tuned…) so we got her a green D&B wristlet, and we also wanted to get some big bags of Goofy’s Taffy for our work colleagues (it always goes down really well in my office!).

We walked over to Adventureland.. it was only about 10.30am, but decided it was a perfect time for …. Dole Whip!

We sat near the Swiss Family Tree House and enjoyed our frozen treats, watching the world go by.

Next attraction was Pirates of the Caribbean, there was no wait at all – but we did just miss a South American tour group that were heading to PotC!

We walked around to Frontierland, considered riding Splash Mountain – but didn’t want to risk getting too wet when we had a long journey ahead of us later that day!

So we went to the Haunted Mansion..

And then back to Frontierland to get on the train around the park.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #161
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 10.. continued...

Bye bye Toontown!

We liked that the train driver got everyone to join in with saying “allllll aboarrrrd!” when we left each station.

We got off the train at the Main Street Station, and wandered up the Street to find some lunch… Steve’s favourite…. Casey’s!

Unlike a few days ago, we were able to sit outside – we saw some of the ‘move it, shake it, celebrate it’ parade.

Unfortunately it was time to leave the Magic Kingdom.. but we still had time to visit one more Disney park…. Epcot!

We got on the monorail and made our way there.

There was a large group of teenagers going through the turnstiles as we entered the park, I noticed some of them were looking at their free food coupons.. I assumed they were from a choir that was performing in the Candlelight Processional.

First attraction we went to was the Living Seas; I really enjoy this pavilion.

Mine! Mine!

We spent some time looking in the aquarium.. there were divers in there cleaning..

As I took a photo of this guy – he pointed at my ‘just engaged’ button (I didn’t realise they could see that well through the glass!), and pointed at Steve.. I nodded… and he gave us two thumbs up!! Magical moment.

Then we went to look at the manatees – there are two there at the moment being rehabilitated, one of them was absolutely huge – hundreds and hundreds of pounds in weight!

We decided not to see Crush in Turtle Talk this time, and headed out ..

And around to World Showcase.

The weather was absolutely perfect, low 70s & really sunny – we really weren’t looking forward to going back to the freezing cold (and.. snow?!) at home.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #162
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 10.. continued...

We stopped for a drink at a stand near Norway …

For some reason, I thought that the glass on the right-hand side was like an electric glass of ‘beer’ (like a lava lamp?), but it was an actual beer!

Steve had a beer & I had a glass of rose – we found a bench and sat in the sun.

As we wandered around the lagoon, we saw the ‘Monkey King’ – China’s performer during the holiday season.

We kept walking around, near France – we saw the Beast walk out on his way to join Belle!

Outside Les Chefs de France restaurant, there were some performers doing an amazing balancing/acrobat shows, so we stopped to watch the whole act.

It was about 2pm, we had another 1.5 hours until we were due to be picked up by the Magical Express, so we headed out of Epcot..

And wandered back to the Boardwalk, stopping again at the pizza window near Kouzzina for a drink.. soak up one more hour of the Florida sunshine!

We got back to the Boardwalk lobby, picked up our bags from Bell Services, then got changed into our travel clothes (flip flops were changed to boots!) – there was a DME bus outside the resort, but it turned out it was a broken down one .. luckily ours pulled up on time…

And it was time to leave my most favourite place on earth.
I didn’t feel quite as sad & blue as normal, I think because I knew we were going home to the Christmas period, and that we’d most definitely be back in 6 months time!

Old 02-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #163
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 10.. continued...

The DME journey was fine, but when we got to Orlando airport, we saw at the check-in desk that our plane was going to be nearly 2 hours delayed. It was annoying as there is an earlier flight back to London which was on time – but we like to book the later flight so it maximises time in WDW on the last day!

Steve was annoyed as he had hoped we’d land on time the next day, so that he would be able to go to his team’s football match – but that was unlikely to happen.. and as it turned out, the football was cancelled due to bad weather any way!

We wandered around the terminal & looked in some shops – then decided to get some dinner at Chilis, that way we could decline the meal on the plane & try to get some more sleep! We had a really nice meal of chicken fajitas, then went through security.

When it was my turn at the passport check – the security guard looked at my passport, looked at me.. and said “no” … no?! .. then he said “we have to keep a balance of pretty women between the UK & USA – you have to stay here” … Steve & everyone around us laughed! I’m used to security at airports being so serious, I wasn’t prepared for him to crack a joke!

We found our gate, bought some Bacardi rum for Steve’s parents and I got some celeb magazines, and we sat down at our gate.
With the free wifi, we found plenty to read and do until, finally, we could board the plane. It was well after 9pm and we didn’t think we were going to take off at 9.30pm as planned.

We got on the plane & started to settle into our seats – when an air hostess asked Steve and I if we’d like to move forward to the door/front row! The plane was only a third full, and for take-off it’s necessary for some passengers to be sat by the doors.. in case we had to help out in an emergency (eek!). The hostess said we could move back to our booked seats after take-off, but we were more than happy to sit with all that extra legroom for the whole flight!

Luckily, there were no emergencies at take-off so we had a great flight… I even fell asleep for well over an hour which never happens – we skipped the meal, steve put his seat back & slept nearly the whole way.. I dozed on and off, and watched Toy Story 3 several times!

Then… the fun began! We were given breakfast at about an hour before landing (a soggy bacon & cheese muffin, Virgin Atlantic breakfasts used to be so much better than they are now.. used to get fruit, cereal bar & a hot item!) – and then the captain spoke to us, to say.. “the airport is closed until at least 12pm due to severe weather!”

This is the view of England as we approached…

We only had enough fuel to circle for an hour, so he needed to land the plane at a different airport – being a jumbo 747 plane, not many airports have a long enough runway…. Luckily, they were given a landing slot at Stansted airport (north London/Essex … no where near home or Gatwick airport!) … we started to descend through the snow cloud, it was so thick and very turbulent… and eventually landed.

We then spent the next 4 hours waiting for our bags to be taken off the plane… the First Class & Crews’ bags came off within an hour – buses had been arranged to get us to Gatwick (where my sister had made it through the snow to pick us up!) – so eventually, we got on a bus (in the meantime we’d bonded with our fellow passengers, swapping stories about Disney World!) … it took just over an hour to get to Gatwick, the weather was so bad – thick snow & ice all over the motorway.
We met my sister.. she had been a star, waiting at the airport for 3 hours with a pile of magazines and endless coffees!

We decided not to try to get to our house (the roads are very hilly & become terrible in the snow), and didn’t want my sister to drive home alone – so Steve’s parents kindly offered for all of us to stay with them over night!
So it was definitely an adventure to get home, but we were very lucky & fortunate to make it home at all…. Part of me wishes Virgin had cancelled the flight & we’d have to stay in WDW for a few more days until the snow melted… but what can you do

So… that was our trip!!
Thank you all so much for reading along… it was a really fantastic trip, we loved New York City & will definitely return – and despite the cold weather, Disney during the holidays is wonderful.

Our next trip to the World will be this June/July for our honeymoon … the weeks are flying by and we’re so excited!
After that – we’d like to return during September/October – enjoy the Food & Wine Festival again and also attend a MNSSHP … we’d quite like to combine a trip to Florida with another US State – possibly New Orleans next time! Although the flights look quite complex, it’ll be great to visit N’orleans.. I went there in 2004 with my family, and Steve has never been but would obviously love to visit the home of the Saints team.

Luv & Pixie Dust,

Emma x
Old 02-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #164
Dugette
DIS Veteran

That would throw me off too if an airport security person cracked a joke like that! What a crazy ordeal you had with your flight/drive back home! They really should have cancelled your flight and "forced" you to stay in WDW another day or so.

I've really enjoyed your TR! I've travelled a lot within the US, but I've never been to NYC, so that part was really nice to see too. Your honeymoon trip isn't too far off now! Congratulations in advance on your wedding and I look forward to hearing about your honeymoon trip!
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")

Old 02-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #165
Stefy
Fantasising of our next DCL & WDW Trip

Great updates Spending your last day in MK and then Epcot was a great idea and way to soak up every last bit of Disney before going home.

Yikes! First a 2hr delay and then further delays on landing. You guys must have been so frustrated and bless your sister for making it to Gatwick in the snow. I remember from the news that everything completely shut down and it was utter chaos.

Thanks so much for sharing your TR with us, was a blast reading along. Can't wait to read all about the honeymoon in July

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: