Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
Tink113
DIS Veteran

Flounders questions???

I am trying to plan for our upcoming cruise (7 night on the Magic) for our 8 month old. However, I'm not sure when I would want to book Flounders. I have already booked for the time that we will be at Palo for dinner, but other than that I'm just not sure.

We are interested in maybe checking out some of the late night activities, but I wont know which until I see the Navs.

So, my questions are:

- When did you book and why?
- Is it difficult to drop in and actually be able to leave your child without reserving time?

Any other advise would be great!
2001 Nov. 7 Night Eastern on the Magic * 2007 Dec. 7 Night Western on the Magic (Honeymoon Cruise) 2009 May 16: 7 Night Western on the Magic FAMILY CRUISE * 2010 Jan 7 Night Western * 2011 Jan 29th 7 Night Eastern FAMILY Cruise * 2012 May 19th 7 Night Eastern Family Fantasy (GOLD) Cruise * 2013 March 30th 7 Night Western Family Fantasy Cruise
Tink113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
denas
Mouseketeer

Hello from your fellow cruiser!!

When I cruised with DD who was 6 months old at the time, I found that she had a complete melt down at dinner. She was used to being in her house at 5 and liked to be in bed around 6:30. I had visions of family dinners but DD was just so miserable. I ended up putting her in Flounders every evening at around 7 so I could enjoy the shows with DH and DS. We then picked her up at 9:30. I had pre-booked a few evenings ahead of time, but after the first night, I went in and booked her for every evening with no probs. However, towards the middle/end of the cruise, I noticed lots of people at the Flounders desk trying to get time and it wasn't available. This was a January cruise about the same time as we are sailing this year.

My latest DS will be 10 months on the cruise. I booked him for every show night from 7:30 until 10 and on Pirate night until 11. He is much more of a night owl so I am taking him to the show the first night to see how he does. We may modify after we get on board - you can always cancel with 4 hours notice??? I know I do NOT want to carry him through the entire Pirate show so that is non-negotiable. I also scheduled an hour or so the first sea day in the afternoon so that he can get used to it. That way if he is asleep when I drop him off the first evening and wakes up, it won't be a completely strange environment

I would look at your child's routine/temperment. If he hates noise/chaos and is used to early bed time consider booking during the shows after dinner (if you are main seating) or during dinner if you are late seating. If you have lots of hands to help hold him, you might not mind keeping him during shows/pirate night (assuming he will sit quietly). If you have already lugged him around all day, or chased your crawler, you might want a break and Flounders will put him in his PJs, give him a bottle, and put him to sleep in the crib while you enjoy your evenings!!

I am using a vacation week at daycare so figured the money I would normally spend at his daycare I can use towards Flounders so I pre-booked just about every evening.

I don't think you can just show up and expect a spot!!! If they don't have enough kids booked, they probably give the staff time off or move to another location so they might not have the staff to accomodate and maintain ratios.
denas is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
RC4
Mouseketeer

Can I just say that I LOVED Flounders?!

They made my 1.5yo DS and my 2yo DS feel so comfortable- and they had never had a babysitter before! I booked a few hours each day so that my hubby and I could have some time to go check out the ship etc. I also booked a little bit longer on one of the beach days, so that we could check out Castaway Cay, and see Serenity beach.

I picked either nap times (otherwise one of us would be sitting in our room anyway) or right after dinner so that we could see shows etc.

You are able to bring bottles/food etc, as well as any lovies, change of clothes etc.

I would certainly suggest booking time slots prior to sailing, because open time is pretty much few and far between or based on cancellations.

RC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Jess Warren
Mouseketeer

feeding?

We have dd who will be 16 months on the ship booked while we are in St. Martin- from 8:30-3:30... will they feed her lunch? What is typical? I am sure other parents have done this and I was wondering how it was handled. I know that the official statement is that they don't feed them...

4/02 Boardwalk Villas
3/06 Boardwalk Villas
1/08 Old Key West
3/09 Boardwalk Villas
12/10 off property
2/11 Disney Cruise on the Magic
6/11 Royal Caribbean
3/12 Bay Lake Towers
3/13 Celebrity Summit
WDW College Program Graduate, 1998
Jess Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Actually, they try to be very flexible about booking time after you board the ship and "last minute" drop offs. Obviously, a last minute drop off is dependent on staffing and number of kids there, but if they can take your child, they will.

You can also add hours to what you have reserved or change your reservations after the first day of the cruise. You can book 18 hours in advance on a 7 night sailing, but this is just to allow everyone a fair chance at getting the times they want. This will continue for the first day. After that, they generally allow you to book as much as you want. (again, some cruises have more babies than others!)

Yes, they will feed your child if you are on an all day excursion--you must tell them what the child eats and supply the food if it is not regular ship food.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
Jess Warren
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Yes, they will feed your child if you are on an all day excursion--you must tell them what the child eats and supply the food if it is not regular ship food.
Thank you- what a relief- she is actually a great eater- ship food will be fine. thanks again!

4/02 Boardwalk Villas
3/06 Boardwalk Villas
1/08 Old Key West
3/09 Boardwalk Villas
12/10 off property
2/11 Disney Cruise on the Magic
6/11 Royal Caribbean
3/12 Bay Lake Towers
3/13 Celebrity Summit
WDW College Program Graduate, 1998
Jess Warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread