Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #61
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Happy Birthday to me!

I know this isn't related to my trip at all, but too bad!

Thursday is my birthday! I will be 27 I know, I know, it's not that bad, but I am not really a fan of birthdays anymore! Especially as I get closer to 30 without accomplishing a few life goals (marriage, running a marathon, having a second child- though that last one is off the table now that I am FINALLY almost done pottytraining Jack, I don't want to do it again, maybe ever ) Anyways, we are celebrating by going out to a restaurant called Fogo de Chao. It's like 'Ohana on steroids (so see, it's not completely off topic!) It is a brazilian steakhouse, where they bring certain side dishes to the table (polenta, mashed potatoes, caramelized bananas). You get seated and they give everyone these little circles, one side green, one side red. When you are ready for meat, you flip it to the green side. The just keep it coming. They have 11 different kinds- 2 kinds of top sirloin, filet mignon, rib eye, bottem sirloin, beef ribs, lamb, chicken, pork ribs, pork loin, and sausage. It's ridiculous. What's funny is I'm not even that big of a meat eater, but they have these awesome cheese rolls and Brazilian caipirinha adult drinks (strawberry is the best) that make it worth it. Plus kids under 3 are free, and Jack eats more than I do. We've only been once, and I think Jack was maybe 1 1/2 and he was in heaven. He just ate and ate and ate. The restaurant is in an area known as the Country Club Plaza (our Christmas lights are famous, and they are up till this weekend, so it's perfect) and I am getting a room at a hotel nearby so I can have a night "away" after dinner! Of course, Jack and I are going to check in early so he can take advantage of their indoor pool, but after dinner my parents are taking him home so I can have a quiet night! I am super excited, so I just had to share with everyone! I'm just glad I'm off for my birthday, and it will be so nice to get to sleep in a king sized bed with no dog and without having to worry about what time Jack is going to wake up. I can order pay per view and stay up late! Still not as exciting as a Disney trip, but I'll take what I can get!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #62
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephielela View Post

Thursday is my birthday! I will be 27 I know, I know, it's not that bad, but I am not really a fan of birthdays anymore! Especially as I get closer to 30 without accomplishing a few life goals (marriage, running a marathon, having a second child- though that last one is off the table now that I am FINALLY almost done pottytraining Jack, I don't want to do it again, maybe ever ) Anyways, we are celebrating by going out to a restaurant called Fogo de Chao. It's like 'Ohana on steroids (so see, it's not completely off topic!) It is a brazilian steakhouse, where they bring certain side dishes to the table (polenta, mashed potatoes, caramelized bananas). You get seated and they give everyone these little circles, one side green, one side red. When you are ready for meat, you flip it to the green side. The just keep it coming. They have 11 different kinds- 2 kinds of top sirloin, filet mignon, rib eye, bottem sirloin, beef ribs, lamb, chicken, pork ribs, pork loin, and sausage. It's ridiculous. What's funny is I'm not even that big of a meat eater, but they have these awesome cheese rolls and Brazilian caipirinha adult drinks (strawberry is the best) that make it worth it. Plus kids under 3 are free, and Jack eats more than I do. We've only been once, and I think Jack was maybe 1 1/2 and he was in heaven. He just ate and ate and ate. The restaurant is in an area known as the Country Club Plaza (our Christmas lights are famous, and they are up till this weekend, so it's perfect) and I am getting a room at a hotel nearby so I can have a night "away" after dinner! Of course, Jack and I are going to check in early so he can take advantage of their indoor pool, but after dinner my parents are taking him home so I can have a quiet night! I am super excited, so I just had to share with everyone! I'm just glad I'm off for my birthday, and it will be so nice to get to sleep in a king sized bed with no dog and without having to worry about what time Jack is going to wake up. I can order pay per view and stay up late! Still not as exciting as a Disney trip, but I'll take what I can get!

Happy Birthday!

I didn't realize you were my neighbor! Greetings from Independence. We spent New Years Eve on the Plaza at the Hibachi!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #63
OhdahLolly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephielela View Post

I love love love the salad bar at Fogo! Huge olives, cheese, lox... mmmh. I could go there alone for just the salad bar!

Hoping you all will have a great night!

And that does sound exciting. Know how you feel. The first time I was able to take a shower by myself in years, it was in heavy. It wasn't a disney vacation, but it was pretty exciting none the less.

Poly/2011

Old 01-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #64
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

Your TR are awesome!! Thank you so much for sharing.

It is giving me so much insight for my trip that I am planning for the end of the year. It is great to hear from other people what the good and bad or they like and dislikes of trips....a huge help for me!!

I've been looking at restaraunts for several days now, looking for different ones, something good. Your suggestions and descriptions of where you ate are fantastic.

Keep it coming if you have more. The more advice you can give, the better.

Also, you son Jake, is absolutely adorable. His smile is infectious
Old 01-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #66
serendipity
DIS Veteran

Love your TR. Your son is adorable.

Happy Birthday!
January 2008- Paris (with day trip to Disneyland Paris), Germany, Austria, Florence and Rome!!!/May 2007- Honeymoon at Disneyland and the great out west!/February 2007-Long weekend at POR/November 2007-Early Christmas at ASSp/WL/AKL/April 2006-Birthday celebration/1st trip with my husband at ASMo/AKL/1996-2000- Summers in Orlando every year to visit my Grandmother

Old 01-13-2011, 02:56 AM   #67
*tinker*bell*
Mouseketeer

I'm reading along! Love the theme of you TR very helpful and unique! Love all the photos! Jake is so cute!
Hope you enjoy a Happy Birthday!!! Have fun with your pay per view! can't wait for the next update!
Old 01-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #68
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Happy Birthday!! I hope you have a wonderful day!

March 2012 TR October 2012 PTR
Mar 2012: Coronado Springs; Mar 2011: French Quarter; Dec 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter; Oct 2008: All Star Movies - Disneymoon; June 2005: Pop Century; July 2004: Offsite; 1993: Contemporary; 1992: DL (offsite); 1991: Offsite; 1989: DL (offsite); 1987: DL (offsite)
Old 01-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #69
luckylady
DIS Veteran

Happy birthday.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #70
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK

Happy birthday!

Our 10/16 Disney Wedding PJ | Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR | PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DF
Old 01-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #71
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Happy Birthday!!! I really have to try eating at O'Hana one night, the food looks delicious.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #72
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Happy Birthday!

I didn't realize you were my neighbor! Greetings from Independence. We spent New Years Eve on the Plaza at the Hibachi!

Crazy! It really IS a small world!! We live in Platte City!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhdahLolly View Post

I love love love the salad bar at Fogo! Huge olives, cheese, lox... mmmh. I could go there alone for just the salad bar!

Hoping you all will have a great night!

And that does sound exciting. Know how you feel. The first time I was able to take a shower by myself in years, it was in heavy. It wasn't a disney vacation, but it was pretty exciting none the less.
The salad bar is pretty amazing. Evidently you can get just the salad bar, but I think I would want at least a little meat. Their cheese biscuits and adult beverages are reason enough for me to go! I had 2 last night, a passion fruit one and a strawberry one, both were delicious! I had forgotten how strong they are though! It was really nice to be able to have a few hours off where I didn't have to wonder where Jack was or what he was doing, or whether he was going to wake up in the middle of the night. Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicGoofy View Post
Your TR are awesome!! Thank you so much for sharing.

It is giving me so much insight for my trip that I am planning for the end of the year. It is great to hear from other people what the good and bad or they like and dislikes of trips....a huge help for me!!

I've been looking at restaraunts for several days now, looking for different ones, something good. Your suggestions and descriptions of where you ate are fantastic.

Keep it coming if you have more. The more advice you can give, the better.

Also, you son Jake, is absolutely adorable. His smile is infectious
Welcome!! Thanks, I am glad I can be of use! I wish I had gotten more food pictures, but luckily you can find a lot of the pictures online. I do have more, 3 more days worth as a matter of fact! Thanks, I do like Jack's smile, and he laughs a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Happy Birthday!
Thanks Jen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity View Post
Love your TR. Your son is adorable.

Happy Birthday!
Welcome, thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *tinker*bell* View Post
I'm reading along! Love the theme of you TR very helpful and unique! Love all the photos! Jake is so cute!
Hope you enjoy a Happy Birthday!!! Have fun with your pay per view! can't wait for the next update!
Welcome and thanks! I will try to keep the TR informative! I had a great birthday, pay per view and all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildAtHeart82 View Post
Happy Birthday!! I hope you have a wonderful day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylady View Post
Happy birthday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFirefly View Post
Happy birthday!
Thanks guys!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
Happy Birthday!!! I really have to try eating at O'Hana one night, the food looks delicious.

Thanks! The food was good (minus the chicken) and I will probably eat there again in a few years, but I would recommend requesting the main dining room, we felt "out of the loop"
Old 01-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #73
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Side note

Something that I hadn't mentioned yet, but probably had an impact on our moods occasionally, is that the day we were leaving my grandmother's retirement home called saying they were concerned about my grandmother. She lives in an independant living facility here in town. When you are in an independant scenario, they don't keep a real close eye on you because you are presumably functional enough to live on your own etc. Well apparently my grandmother had missed several rooms because she wasn't feeling well. We knew she had been under the weather, but that's not unusual this time of year especially. And we are literally getting this call as we are boarding the plane. This is my dad's mom, but he doesn't have any other family, so my mom calls her sister and asks her to go check on my grandmother at some point, and also talks to her mother who also offers to go over there. It turns out not to be a big deal, she is just "feeling weak, having trouble sleeping at night" etc. So everyday we are getting updates from my mom's mom (who is a bit overdramatic). The other thing is my dad's mom is a bit helpless. She lived in her father's house until she got married and moved in with my grandfather. Neither her father or husband ever really taught her how to do anything for herself, they did everything (paid bills, handled financial things etc) so consequently, she needs a lot of help now (my grandfather passed away in 2007). Don't get me wrong, I don't mind helping, she is after all my grandmother. But since she doesn't have any other family in the area, it creates a strain when we are gone. It made some parts of the trip a bit stressful, especially when we would try to help by getting her a doctor's appt and some one to take her, and then she would say she didn't want to go. Plus she would complain about not sleeping well at night, but then she slept all day. Little things like that. One of the more stressful calls came right before our dinner at 'Ohana, which probably attributed to our overall unhappiness at that meal. It didn't have a huge impact on our trip, but it definitely colored our mood on occasion, so keep that in mind when I'm giving a negative opinion!
Old 01-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #74
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Location: ...just beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment!

I'm so sorry I'm late, but I hope you had a ! I'm sorry to hear about the stresses you have to deal with, I know that must be draining. Hang in there!
Old 01-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #75
Big Kid
Mouseketeer

Happy Birthday! I'm really enjoying your trip report. Our son is going on three and a half so memories of seeing the World with a two-year-old are fresh in my mind.

Your Dos and Don'ts are on target and a fun addition to your report.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: