Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #91
mom2kazkids
DIS Veteran

Great reviews, just what I need to get thru the final hours before we are on the way to Disney. Less than 24 hours and we are on the plane.
mom2kazkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #92
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh&OurHunny View Post
wow, an amazing update on BOMA and I'm impressed how the chef treated you and I love the assortment of food he made you (and don't have to wait on the line). We went to Boma 2x but the food was ok, we Love Boma breakfast (we ate there 3x).
We also love Jiko
I was really impressed too with the amount and variety of food he made for me! He was absolutely wonderful!

Boma's breakfast is also fabulous, I couldn't get enough of those goat cheese scrambled eggs .

(And Jiko = lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymbaldiva View Post
Wow!!!! Your plate looks incredible! I like Boma a lot and I'm thinking I might like your plate better .... glad the chef took such great care of you!!
I couldn't believe how much the chef went out of his way to make sure I'd have a great meal! The plate was pretty amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Wow, what fantastic service from the chef at Boma

It's great to read such a positive review
We had positive experiences with all of the chefs we had spoken to during our trips, but the ones at Boma truly did go above and beyond to ensure we'd have a fantastic time. (And Wingnut loved the buffet selections, there really is something for everyone!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
That was so sweet of the chef to make you a special plate! Looks so good, too! I'm trying to get DBF to eat here in August, but he's strictly a "meat and potatoes" guy, so it's an uphill battle!
It really was, I hadn't anticipated any specially made items at all, let alone a whole meal! Best of luck convincing DBF to eat at Boma - there are more familiar items on the buffet (including meats and potatoes, and mac and cheese!) that he may enjoy. Another option is Boma for breakfast, that has even more commonly found items, with some interesting dishes in there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle5 View Post
I have really enjoyed following your review! (Has anyone ever told you that you look a little like Anne Hathaway?)

Anyway, I am so impressed with the way WDW usually deals with food allergies. I took my sister to WDW a couple of years ago and she has a pineapple allergy. I, too, was impressed at the care that was given to her food prep, however, we had not realized just how much longer our dining would take at some restaurants by the time we waited for the chef to come speak with her and then the extra prep time to make her special food and dessert (thinking specifically of 'Ohana because of all the pineapple they use). Truthfully, it is a little bit of a pain!

I have developed a shellfish allergy and am hesitant to mention it on our upcoming trip because I am not a very patient person. However, I probably will do the right thing in the end as last year I experienced anaphylactic shock with after taking the pain medication, Aleve--so now I realize how quickly an allergic reaction can go south!
Thank you!!! (and I have been told that before, thanks! )

It does take a few extra minutes to speak with the chef, and receive a special plate if they do make one for you. However, I really do think that it is absolutely worth mentioning food allergies to the chefs (especially when anaphylactic shock is concerned - that's not a welcome part of a Disney vacation!). It doesn't normally take more than a couple of minutes (and I'm definitely impatient too when food is concerned!), and I think the peace of mind you get, along with the allergen-free meal, is absolutely worth it. Best wishes for delicious and safe dining for you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilandvisma View Post
What an adorable couple! Great Reviews
Thank you so much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2kazkids View Post
Great reviews, just what I need to get thru the final hours before we are on the way to Disney. Less than 24 hours and we are on the plane.
Thank you!!! Have a fantastic trip!!!
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2011, 01:37 PM   #93
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Kouzzina breakfast

To start off on an unrelated note, Wingnut and I at one of our favorites: The Muppets :

As seen earlier, Wingnut and I had been to Kouzzina before for breakfast (which ended up being useful, as I seemingly entirely forgot to photograph our meals here), and had really enjoyed it. Kouzzina offers a nice selection of interesting breakfast items, in a pretty calm atmosphere.

We strolled over to the Boardwalk from the Yacht Club, thrilled that we were able to step outside without 6 layers of clothing. No coats instantly meant t-shirts for these vacationers!

We were seated right away, in a cozy little table for 2 by the windows. And okay, maybe it wasn't QUITE t-shirt weather yet...good excuse for another of my morning hot chocolates!

Wingnut went with an iced coffee frappe, which he said was very good... not too sweet, and had a good rich flavor.

During our trip, I kept seeing the Tinkerbell and Fairy Friends souvenir cup, and kept declaring to Wingnut that I was going to get one.

And then I would forget.

NOT TODAY!

The cup is a thicker plastic, with a lid and a straw, and Tink all aglow. It is a fabulous little toy, (and I made it easily transportable by getting water inside instead of a beverage that would need to be rinsed out before tossing in my bag - see, I'm clever on occasion.)

For our breakfasts, Wingnut and I both got the Stacked Kouzzina Breakfast, which looks exactly the same as it did one year prior, except with poached eggs (as it usually comes, the scrambled was my adjustment that year).

Wingnut described his breakfast as "Kouzzina'y."

Thanks, honey.

The dish includes two poached eggs, sweet potato hash, kalamata olive toast, artichoke spread, and bacon or chicken sausage. It really is one of my favorite breakfasts ever, it includes so many different flavors and tasty items. My favorite on the plate is the sweet potato hash, closely followed by the kalamata olive toast, which has generous olive pieces in it.

Deciding to chime in, Wingnut enjoyed his breakfast as well, saying "I thought it was very good. My favorite part was the artichoke spread on the kalamata olive toast - I wish there was more toast because of it."

Our waitress came by after a bit, and said that she had an anniversary surprise for us, but she needed to know our names.

Sure!

"OKAY EVERYBODY! STRINGBEAN AND WINGNUT ARE HERE CELEBRATING THEIR ANNIVERSARY!! ON THE COUNT OF THREE, EVERYBODY SAY "OPA!"

ONE

TWO

THREE

OPA!!!"

She then placed two candle-lit cupcakes in front of us, telling us to make a wish.

Is it bad that I was pretty excited about getting my own anniversary cupcake? No sharing here!

And a good thing too, this was a very good little cupcake. I also enjoyed the adornment of holiday sprinkles. Wingnut might not have had too much of a chance at breakfast dessert .

Fortified by kalamata olives and frosting, it was time for Epcot!
Old 01-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #94
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Epcot snacks

From Kouzzina, Wingnut and I meandered over to Epcot, where we continued to, well, meander. Epcot is both of our favorite parks, and we usually find ourselves there at least once every day during our trips.

Our Spaceship Earth future: (it involves, appropriately enough, spaceships)

After our slow-moving journey through time, and a few others (Figment, anyone else?), I began to get a bit peckish. The sight of Mickey-head lettuce did not help.

Wingnut was still full from breakfast, so I got a pretzel from the stand in Future World by the Land. I then ate a bunch of it before remembering to take a picture.

While I was gnawing on the warm salty goodness, a monorail approached.

Photo opportunity seized, we then moved on, making our way around World Showcase. I started to get hungry again. Wingnut was still full from breakfast.

Well, someone's gotta be the little piggy here!

You may recall from my earlier retrospective post that the year before, I had gotten a chocolate crepe from the little stand (kiosk?) in France. It was warm and chocolatey, and the CM had drawn an awesome music note design inside of it. Don't remember? Ok, here it is again.

Rounding our way towards France, I began to get excited for the chocolatey crepe. We stepped up to the kiosk (stand?), and ordered one chocolate crepe.

Who's excited? Me!

I then noticed the CM using a sugar shaker on/in/all over the crepe.

Um, this is different. I realized after he folded the crepe with nary a chocolate drizzle inside that this was going to be a sugar crepe, not a chocolate one. I decided to go with it, and see how it was.

I'll go with incredibly disappointing. I'm actually still a bit pouty thinking about it, over a month later. (yes, I do hold onto my pastry resentment.) I didn't take a picture of it, but it basically just looked like an empty crepe with sugar granules. It was bland, and the sugar was crunchy, which I just found weird. The crepe was also a bit on the room-temperature end, as it hadn't spent a lot of time on the crepe-warmer-iron-thing.

I poked at the crepe forlornly, ate a few bites, then spied another stand that was sure to change my disappointing snack for the better:

YAY for Grand Marnier squishees!!! This wonderfulness changed my mood right around, and I sipped on the cool orange liqueur as we sat by the fountain in France. Much better French kiosk treat! (And yes, I did share a sip of this with Wingnut, I'm so generous )

If Wingnut had been hungrier, I'm sure we would have made more of our Epcot snacking, but this did the trick for this afternoon. Plus, we had a dinner at Narcoosees to look forward to...can't go to that full!
Old 01-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #95
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Dinner at Narcoosees

Getting to Narcoosees is a bit tricky, isn't it?

I don't even mean just physically getting there, just getting the reservation required multiple and frequent trips to the Disney Reservations website, ADR finagling, and a touch more patience than I usually possess. But Wingnut was interested in eating here, so I persevered.

Additional motivation stemmed from potentially dining at the Grand Floridian, one of only two locations (the second is CRT) that offers the Cinderella's slipper dessert. I wanted it. I reeeaaaalllly wanted it.

Reservation scored, I hinted subtly to my beloved that I wanted the slipper dessert, giving him pricing information, our reservation number, and the phone number he needed to call. Just call me Stringbean the Subtle. Ahem.

Then, as I hinted at before, there was the task of actually getting to the Grand Floridian. We began our journey at DHS, and took the bus, which also stopped at the Contemporary, the Polynesian, the Polynesian again (wrong turn out of the parking lot), and then finally the Grand Floridian. (Goodness that's a long bus ride for some folks!)

A side note: did anyone else know that Citricos is pronounced "sit-trick-ohs," not "sit-tree-kohs"? Or maybe that was just me. Thanks bus announcer spiel guy.

I knew that we had to make our way back towards the dock to get to Narcoosees, and was getting nervous that it would take a long time to get there. From the bus stop I would approximate this as around a 5 minute walk, you have to go through the lobby, out the back door of the main building, through the length of the courtyard(?) between all of the buildings, and there is dinner.

I had just enough time to make sure my hair wasn't in 700 directions before we were led to our table, which had a gorgeous view of the castle.

(Admittedly, this is a teensy bit zoomed in, we were actually across the aisle from being seated right at the windows. But we were definitely able to enjoy the view just as much.)

We were promptly served bread and sea-salted butter, which was warm (the bread) and tasty (both components).

Wingnut then started with a deconstructed fried Oysters Rockerfeller.

He said that this was really good, and that he's never tried regular Oysters Rockerfeller before, but he absolutely intends on trying it more often because of this dish.

I began with a Winter Waldorf Salad.

This was possibly one of my favorite salads ever - I loved the fruits in it (pear, apple, and grape, if i remember correctly), and while I am not usually a blue cheese fan, I enjoyed the type that was used here. We both cleaned our plates.

We both then had the Surf and Turf for our entrees.

Wingnut says that he thought the steak was pretty good, and the lobster was not too bad. I don't generally have lobster, but I thought I would give this a try. It was not to my liking, nothing wrong with it, just not my taste. I thought that the steak was alright, and enjoyed the sauce along with it (on the side, as per my usual pickiness ). The broccolini was pretty unmemorable, and the potatoes were nice, they had herbs and other tasty touches in them.

Around now, I was beginning to debate in my head whether to have the often-praised Almond Crusted Cheesecake, or one of the other desserts from the menus we had been poring over for the past few months. I was entirely and completely surprised when this was placed in front of me:

THE SLIPPER DESSERT!!!!!

I don't know how, but I had ENTIRELY forgotten about haranguing my poor Wingnut to get this many months prior. It was a complete surprise (Wingnut was fairly amazed at my ability to totally surprise myself), and I was thrilled (I'll admit it, it did make me even more thrilled when Wingnut reported that the couple sitting behind me looked quite jealous of our treat).

Okay, so this beautiful wonderful plate contains: a white chocolate slipper filled with white chocolate mousse and topped with raspberries, a dark chocolate teardrop filled with dark (could be milk but I'm going with dark) chocolate mousse and topped with white chocolate shavings, a little cocoa castle, and raspberry sauce.

Um, I promise you I was not just blinded by its beauty when I tell you that this was incredible. I assure you that this was not just a pretty novelty, the chocolates and mousses and sauces were one of my favorite things I ate during the trip.

Along with the slipper, our waiter also brought two congratulatory champagne toasts (with strawberry accents), carding us before serving them.

And then we had dessert. It was a slipper intermezzo, if you will .

Wingnut had the gelato sampler, which he says were really good. The pistachio was his favorite, and the coffee and strawberry had really nice flavors. The chocolate was a little too rich for his taste.

I continued to debate between the cheesecake, and now the creme brulee duo. What to choose, what to choose (nevermind being quite full, there's more dessert to be had)?

I decided to go with the creme brulee duo, which has one key lime creme brulee and one coconut creme brulee. Both were excellent (I loved having two spoons!), and I enjoyed them greatly.

Overall, we both really enjoyed our meal at Narcoosees. The service and atmosphere was excellent, I loved the view of the castle changing colors. The food was very good (I might choose a different entree if we were to return), we especially enjoyed our appetizers and desserts. Definitely worth the patience needed in getting to our dinner!
Old 01-26-2011, 04:54 PM   #96
Sawhiskey
Mouseketeer

Thanks for sharing!!

Old 01-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #97
auntfrannie
DIS Veteran

Hey! Glad to see you back with more reviews!
auntfrannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:12 AM   #98
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Great reviews and your slipper dessert looks wonderful

Thanks for the tip on the GF serving this dessert, I might have to start dropping hints to DH
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #99
Tinker12
Mouseketeer

I'm glad to see you are back with the reviews! Your reviews make me laugh and smile.
AKL Concierge Sept/Oct 2008, AKL Sept/Oct 2009, CBR Sept/Oct 2010 , POFQ March 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2012 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2013 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2014

Tinker12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #100
UncleOrville
Mouseketeer

Great reviews; love all the detail. You guys are hilarious! And you had me at Napoleon. I also cannot bring myself to order anything else at the Boulangerie. Have you tried the Napoleon from Starring Rolls in DHS? Also superb.
UncleOrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #101
lblume91
It's magic wrapped up in pixie dust!

Great reviews!!
Old 01-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #102
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawhiskey View Post
Thanks for sharing!!

Glad you are enjoying reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntfrannie View Post
Hey! Glad to see you back with more reviews!
Hi! Glad you're enjoying them - only a few more to go though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Great reviews and your slipper dessert looks wonderful

Thanks for the tip on the GF serving this dessert, I might have to start dropping hints to DH
Thanks!! Hahaha the slipper dessert is a wonderful treat! It was even more special that I ended up forgetting and being totally surprised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker12 View Post
I'm glad to see you are back with the reviews! Your reviews make me laugh and smile.
Thanks! I'm glad you are enjoying them!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleOrville View Post
Great reviews; love all the detail. You guys are hilarious! And you had me at Napoleon. I also cannot bring myself to order anything else at the Boulangerie. Have you tried the Napoleon from Starring Rolls in DHS? Also superb.
Thank you!! I haven't tried the Napoleon there (I actually haven't even been to Starring Rolls ) - I feel that as soon as I would walk in, I'd be tempted by the apparently ginormous cupcakes .

Quote:
Originally Posted by lblume91 View Post
Great reviews!!
Thank you!!
Old 01-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #103
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Breakfast at Boma

Today Wingnut and I will be writing our review of breakfast at Boma together, passing the laptop back and forth. Because I like jazzing things up with color, Wingnut will be writing in purple and I will be writing in green. Let's go eat!

Hola! I have returned (in technicolor) to write this joint review of Boma's breakfast. Before I begin though, I have to mention the wonderful service we received. As you may have assumed, due to my beautiful Stringbean's food allergies, we once again had to speak with the chef before hitting the buffet. And once again we had an amazing chef come and walk us through the entire buffet and even made Stringbean a special plate.
But I digress (or digest, either way )... so now I hand it back to Stringbean...

We had been definitely looking forward to our breakfast at Boma, anticipating a few different items on the usual breakfast buffet. I had also heard rumor of goat cheese scrambled eggs, and was pretty confident those would end up making an appearance on my plate.

Getting to AKL is a little bit of a pain, but this morning our bus driver very kindly told us to stay on the bus after he dropped people off at AK, then we had our own chariot to breakfast. It was a very much appreciated gesture, and we were able to eat yummy food even earlier than we'd anticipated .

There is one part of this meal that was absolutely to die for... The goat cheese scrambled eggs. These are undoubtably the best eggs I have ever had. Although there were a bevy of dining highlights to mention, these take the cake. Little bites of cheesy wonderfullness.
Also, this was my first experience with quinoa, which I have always been curious about. It was quite tasty, although slightly watery, but when coupled with a heaping tablespoon of brown sugar... wow. I was about to go on, but Stingbean just shouted "STOP TAKING EVERYTHING," which prompted me to delete my paragraph and tell all of you about it

He was taking all the memorable items! I had stop him before my paragraph turned into "all 7 of the items he described above were good, yes."

Ok. The goat cheese scrambled eggs. They were ridiculously good, and I am not ashamed to admit I had two large helpings of them. Also, the quinoa was awesome (although I found it perfectly sweet without any extra sugar).

Backtracking slightly, when we first sat down, we were offered glasses of frunch, Boma's house juice. I was pretty sure that I was going to want my usual morning orange juice, and our server reassured me that that was alright, but I REALLY should try the frunch.

Alright.

Wingnut got two glasses of frunch. I got my orange juice.

I know a lot of people enjoy the juice, but it is far too sweet for my taste. Also another notable buffet item was the African Fruit Salad, which was chunks of oranges, melons, grapes, and other fruits in a mix of sweetened condensed milk and whipped cream. We weren't surprised when this was delicious.

As Wingnut mentioned earlier, the chef did make me a special treat aside from the goodies on the buffet. The pancakes and French toast are cooked together, and so to avoid cross-contamination, she made me a special batch of pancakes.

Look, they're animal-shaped!! (And a stray goat cheese egg that got away.) These were very nice pancakes, especially good with some of the fruit from the buffet.

Before I continue with my passage, I want to point out the length of my previous passage, which was cut short and i was yelled at for, and then look at the novella that comes after... Just wanted to point that out.

Oh, please.

So, as I was saying... other honorable mentions definitely include the carved meats and the assorted pastries. The ham was very tasty, possibly the best ham I had on site next to Kona, and the pastries were quite good. There was definitely a good variety of everything along the buffet, and I am definitely looking forward to our next trip.

Done already?

What does that even mean?

When we were sufficiently full of tasty breakfast items, our server brought us out a dessert for our anniversary, "1 strawberry for each year together," she explained.

This was a very sweet gesture, and we enjoyed our anniversary treat .

Time to go to Animal Kingdom (and not just the bus stops this time )!!!
Old 01-30-2011, 12:56 AM   #104
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

I love your dining review...just read all 7 pages!

I love the dual perspective Boma review - sounds like it was two thumbs up! The chefs at Boma are very impressive with their alternatives for your food allergies. I've been to Boma but not tried the quinoa - glad you give it a seal of approval... maybe next time.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:38 AM   #105
cymbaldiva
DIS Veteran

Stilling loving your reviews!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: