Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #76
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

A look back...

Does anyone else experience this? I'm starting to get all sad that our reviews are practically half-over...it feels just like that "vacation's half-over" realization. But we still haven't gone on Soarin'! We still haven't gotten a squishee from France! (Don't worry, we will...).

I was looking through my pics from our previous trip (December 2009), and realized that almost all of them are pretty relevant still. (Also, these were uploaded when I was using my other computer with Photoshop on it, so they're a bit prettier.)

(And no, this isn't an attempt to keep that vacation feeling around for an extra day or two. Nope. Just doing my duties as a food scavenger and reporter .)

Flashing back now...

My first experience with the Napoleons. Love promptly ensued.

Wingnut and I went on this trip with my parents. We weren't just stocking up on Napoleon-y goodness. (Although that WOULD have been a good idea...ah hindsight...)

We were celebrating my mom's birthday on this trip, and this was the celebration surprise from Boma. From left to right, from the best of my recall, we've got a fruit jelly, an apple pastry, a macaron (side note: Are these really going to be the new pastry trend? They seem to lack the same frosting-y whimsy of a cupcake.), and a truffle.

These came from the little stand/hut in Mexico that looked like it stuck around from the Food and Wine Festival that used to be pretty much the first thing you saw after the bridge coming from Future World. That one. Actually, very good. However, I'm not sure that the stand is still there, so this one is probably pretty unhelpful. But it was still tasty.

Carrot Cake Cookie from the Writer's Stop in DHS. We actually didn't visit this little coffee shop during our most recent trip, so let me just sing my praises of here for one moment. If you've never stopped (ha) by, it is a small-ish place that sells coffee and pastries, along with books, and has a few cozy chairs as well. It's an incredibly pleasant place to pause for a few minutes and easily forget you're in a theme park (but then the little DDP snack credit icons around the pastries snap you back to reality). The Writer's Stop doesn't have the same ginormous cupcakes that Starring Rolls does (I could be wrong), but they do have a bunch of sweet treats, including this rich and cakey cookie.

A nice alternative to Beaches and Cream during the busier hours is The Fountain at the Dolphin (ground floor, to the left of the elevators). They have a selection of menu items and frozen confections to suit pretty much any palette (yes, even us lactose intolerant). Above is Wingnut's Coco Loco shake.

And here is my sundae, made with yummy raspberry sorbet. And mini M&M's. Gotta have those.

I believe Wingnut had mentioned that we had been to Raglan Road before. Here is the Keen Eye for the Shepard's Pie that he had ordered. (He really enjoyed this.)

I had gotten the Fish and Chips, a nice-sized portion of the classic dish. (I actually enjoyed the Fish and Chips at Yorkshire County Fish Shop in Epcot a teensy bit more, but both were very good.)

(I am now realizing that these pictures are a bit out of order. Whoops.)

Alright, so we had seen pictures of the Dalkey Duo on the Dis, and thought that it looked good. We also totally thought that the dish was comprised solely of the 6 little sausages that you see speared on the forks, so we ordered two for the table.

What we didn't realize is that they come accompanied by a little bowl of little sausages. Both of them! Our table was a forest of little deep-fried sausages. So we in actuality had the Dalkey Quartet this evening, which was a touch too many Dalkeys for us. Very good, but not a light appetizer.

This was another moment during this trip that I fell in love. This year, the bread had come as little individual rolls (same taste), and that wonderful fantastic dipping sauce. I wish I had some now. (It would be really convenient to be on that Food Network show "The Best Thing I Ever Ate". Upon saying that previous sentence, a plate of bread and dipping sauce would have just been put in my hands )

Not there anymore, but while we were there they had a Parisian Cosmo slush in addition to the Grey Goose and Grand Marnier in France. A bit tart for my taste, but that certainly doesn't mean that I didn't drink (and finish) it.

(Actually, this will be useful for backstory in an upcoming review)

Ooooh this chocolate crepe was so good. And the artistic chocolate decorations the CM created while it was cooking added much charm and whimsy to this snack.

Oh funnel cake. How I love you. This particular one is from Sleepy Hollow in MK, and let me assure you, it is wonderful. A must-do treat that we inexplicably did not do on our trip.

Breakfast at Kouzzina. Either my dad or Wingnut had this French Toast.

Oh ok, this is what Wingnut had (I'd know that arm anywhere ). Dad had the French Toast. This is the Classic Golden Waffle with Whipped Marscapone Cheese. He also had the chicken sausage with this. I remember Wingnut really enjoying this.

Mom and I both had the Stacked Kouzinna Breakfast, which we both liked a lot (spoiler alert: This dish may make a future appearance in these reviews). It was a great and different breakfast than the usual WDW offerings.

So that concludes the little snippet into our previous dining adventures! Kona Cafe lunch to come soon, when I am able to get feedback from Wingnut as well!
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #77
Pooh&OurHunny
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the update on Grand Floridain Cafe, we always had great meals there. I miss not staying at GF b/c we love the just walking to the restuarant (even w/o ADR we always got a sit anytime). Thanks for the wonderful pictures.

Grand Floridian (son 1st Disney Trip) May & October2007
Swan Feb 2008
AKL May 2008
Swan & CSR December 2010
Pooh&OurHunny is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #78
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

had to double check that GF was breakfast not lunch LOL. Like the look of Kouzzinas for breakfast too.

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #79
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh&OurHunny View Post
Thanks for the update on Grand Floridain Cafe, we always had great meals there. I miss not staying at GF b/c we love the just walking to the restuarant (even w/o ADR we always got a sit anytime). Thanks for the wonderful pictures.
Thanks! It was our first time going there, but everyone's reviews always looked so good, we had to give it a try. I'd definitely love to try it for lunch too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
had to double check that GF was breakfast not lunch LOL. Like the look of Kouzzinas for breakfast too.
Nope, just a very hearty breakfast!! Kouzzina has a great breakfast as well, both are nice relaxing places before hitting the parks.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:55 AM   #80
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Kona Cafe - Lunch

After our delicious breakfast at the Grand Floridian Cafe, Wingnut and I made our way back to the Magic Kingdom for another morning of our favorites (Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Philharmagic, etc.). Around 11 or so, we found ourselves back in the vicinity of the castle, discussing lunch. We had our ADR for Kona Cafe at 12, but were still interested in trying to get into one of the places that had turned us away earlier in the week at Epcot (Chefs de France, Via Napoli, Tutta Italia) because of no walk-ups.

I tried calling Disney Dining, but unfortunately they were going through system updates, and were unable to help me book reservations. Winging it didn't seem like a good plan, considering it was already fast approaching the lunch hour.

"To Kona?"

"To Kona. Oooh, a Photopass!"

(The second person may or may not have been me...)

(The Photopass photographer was absolutely thrilled to be able to use the prop mistletoe she had brought along that day .)

Making our way back down the middle of Main Street USA, we arrived at the boat launch for the Polynesian. We meandered around the area for a few minutes, debating if we were actually in the right place while boats pulled up to docks all around us. Then, as we were about to move on to other forms of transportation, someone came into line behind us. This was reassuring, but it was even more reassuring when a boat pulled up soon after. We were on our way!

Upon entering the Polynesian, we came across two CM's playing a giant game of Jenga.

We stayed and watched for a few minutes, but missed the conclusion of the game, as it was time for food!

When we were seated at Kona, I advised our waiter about my food allergies (which include ginger). He said he would send the chef over, which happened in many of the restaurants we visited.

Wingnut and I originally were considering the sticky wings for two, but were not able to because of the chicken marinade. Okay. He chose the duck potstickers instead. I was thinking about just skipping the appetizer, when he suggested the crab cakes I had looked at before. The chef said he could make them allergy-free. Okay.

Wingnut's potstickers. He says that they were good, tasty, and that they were a good portion size.

My crab cakes were unfortunately not very enjoyable. They had a very mushy and soft texture, but did have a few sizable bits of crab. I couldn't get past the texture (a bit like chicken salad, for comparison), and hid most of my portion underneath the sauce and under other garnishes (as I was pretty sure these had been made allergen-free for me and didn't want to be rude).

For his main course, Wingnut chose the Miso-Glazed Mahi-Mahi.

Wingnut: "I didn't care for this at all. The Mahi Mahi had no flavor, and the combination of it with the macadamia nuts added nothing. The plantains underneath the fish were as hard as rocks. I didn't order well on my entree, unfortunately."

Scanning the options on the menu that would be least likely to include ginger, I chose the Barbecue Pork Tacos.

These were okay, the puffy fried taco was interesting. The pork was a bit oily, I had a puddle of it on my plate very quickly. The little salad on the side wasn't bad. I liked the inclusion of the pears, but I couldn't shake the feeling that I was allergic to something in there (could have just been a coincidence, my lips were beginning to tingle when I ate it ), so I didn't have much of it.

Dessert has to turn things around, right?

Of course right.

Wingnut chose the Chocolate Fondue, which he called "the highlight of the meal. The fondue was good chocolate, and the plate included good fruit to dip with, along with lace cookies and macaroons which were also pretty good." His favorite item on the plate was the strawberries.

I decided on the Banana Chocolate Creme Brulee (second picture included to show the chocolate bottom of the dish). This was pretty good, definitely not the best creme brulee ever (Which Wingnut would refer you to the Amarula Creme Brulee at Jiko, if asked ). The bruleed banana was a nice accompaniment.

Despite having to deal with an allergy to a pretty prevalent ingredient here, the staff was very kind and professional, and truly did their best to accommodate us. However, it was a bit of a disappointing meal (even without the food allergies in consideration). I also noticed that the meal was a bit slow-paced (possibly due to the allergies, but the other diners around us were taking around the same amount of time), especially for a lunch.

Ah well, time to move along for more food!!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #81
Pooh&OurHunny
DIS Veteran

sorry for your not so great meal at Kona (a place we never tried).

Swan Feb 2008
AKL May 2008
Swan & CSR December 2010
Old 01-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #82
sophie832
Addicted to DL and WDW!

Well, Kona lunch wasn't that great, but the desserts really look amazing! Or maybe I'm just a sucker for desserts?
January 2011 Dining Review!
sophie832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #83
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh&OurHunny View Post
sorry for your not so great meal at Kona (a place we never tried).
I was a bit surprised - the boards seem to have favorable reviews of Kona, plus their breakfast is awesome. Perhaps we just went on an off day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie832 View Post
Well, Kona lunch wasn't that great, but the desserts really look amazing! Or maybe I'm just a sucker for desserts?
Hahaha desserts really do tend to be the best part of the meal, don't they? They were both very good, definitely a nice way to end the (a bit lackluster overall) meal
Old 01-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #84
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Boma dinner

On our trip the previous December, we had dined at Boma and had really enjoyed it there (Wingnut especially). He was very enthusiastic about adding it to this trip's lineup. During this visit, I had spoken with one of the chefs about my allergies, and had been walked through the buffet line, being told what I could and could not eat. We had all been happily surprised at the amount of things I was able to have that did not have cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, etc.

When we arrived at Boma for our reservation, the waiting area was packed. As was the Victoria Falls lounge above. We were given a buzzer and set loose as far as the gift shop off the lobby. We made our way back up to the couches in the lobby and collapsed into them.

While waiting, I used a great deal of my willpower to comment only once (or possibly twice) about how it was too bad we weren't waiting to eat at Jiko again.

After a bit of a wait, the buzzer went off, and we made our way back downstairs, and were seated in the back area of the restaurant.

We told the server that I had some food allergies, and were told that the chef would be over. I anticipated a similar buffet walk-through as last year, a few things I couldn't have, a few things I could. Wingnut waited with me, despite my urging that he go visit the buffet unencumbered .

The chef came by, and we all went up to the buffet together. I told him my litany of allergies, and he began to consider every dish intently, as though running through each recipe in his head.

"You can't have this, or this, you can have this, not this, these, nothing from this station..."

This continued down the line, my options extremely limited. Somewhere before the hummus (hummuses? hummi?) he stopped.

"I'll make you a special plate," he offered, "I'll make you some chicken, some beef, some vegetables, all allergy-free. And I may be able to make you dessert as well, possibly."

Wingnut and I thanked him profusely as he went back to the kitchen. I was excited to see the plate that would be coming, and was relieved to not have to negotiate the buffet of lurking spice danger. At least, for me.

While we were still at the buffet, I took a bowl of soup (lentil, I believe) and some fruit (both safe).

I commented to Wingnut that the recipes must have changed a bit over the past year, as the amount of food I would be able to have was reduced so dramatically. He agreed, that they might be making them a bit more sweet and spiced. Just our theory, no real evidence

Wingnut started to get his dinner as well. (I don't have pictures of his plates, sorry!) His opinion on dinner: "The food was absolutely excellent. I tried several of the soups and each was delicious. My favorite soup was definitely the Coconut Curry Seafood with cous cous. It had generous amounts of seafood (shrimp, muscles, clams, even a scallop or two) and a wonderful flavor.

The carved meats are always a crowd pleaser, and were especially good if you enjoy the spicy topping or the boma mustard. And as always, the fufu was sweet and wonderful."

While Wingnut at the buffet, the chef arrived with my plate. I'm pretty sure I looked something like this:

WOW. WOW. Never have I ever had something this impressive put in front of me, especially as a specially-made plate. In addition to its skyscraping height, this plate was packed with awesome goodies.

Here it is, a bit dismantled for easier viewing. From the top, we have a cracker/crispy bread, mixed veggies, salmon, parsnip mashed potatoes ("I hope you like parsnips, I love them" the chef laughed when describing the dish), beef, chicken, and asparagus.

Not only was this impressive and wonderful-looking, everything tasted absolutely delicious. The parsnip mashed potatoes were my favorite item on the plate. Everything was wonderfully seasoned, and I was given a fantastic variety of items, as many as the plate could hold!

After we ate and ate and ate, our server came by and asked if the chef was making me something special for dessert.

"Um...maybe? I'm not sure." Wingnut and I looked at each other, not wanting to be rude.

"I'll go check."

Soon after, this appeared at our table, along with the chef, who genuinely thanked us for coming, and hoped we would return soon:

Here we have a zebra dome, two little coffee pastries, a brownie, some berries, and that chocolate writing I love to break apart and eat. Wingnut got the coffee pastries, and I kept that zebra dome on my half of the table . Oh, and the berries too. I love berries. We may have split the brownie. Or I might have eaten the whole thing (more likely scenerio).

Wingnut says, "the chef was amazing and did everything possible to make sure you had a good meal. He went above and beyond any expectations we could have, and almost looked at cooking for you as a challenge and needed to feed you like he did a family member."

I absolutely agree. We had a wonderful meal at Boma, and were made to feel entirely welcomed and taken care of, despite presenting the chef with some uncommon allergy concerns. I never could have anticipated how well both of us would be fed that night!
Old 01-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #85
Pooh&OurHunny
DIS Veteran

wow, an amazing update on BOMA and I'm impressed how the chef treated you and I love the assortment of food he made you (and don't have to wait on the line). We went to Boma 2x but the food was ok, we Love Boma breakfast (we ate there 3x).
We also love Jiko

Swan Feb 2008
AKL May 2008
Swan & CSR December 2010
Old 01-13-2011, 01:49 AM   #86
cymbaldiva
DIS Veteran

Wow!!!! Your plate looks incredible! I like Boma a lot and I'm thinking I might like your plate better .... glad the chef took such great care of you!!
Old 01-13-2011, 03:48 AM   #87
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Wow, what fantastic service from the chef at Boma

It's great to read such a positive review
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #88
klacey1
DIS Veteran

That was so sweet of the chef to make you a special plate! Looks so good, too! I'm trying to get DBF to eat here in August, but he's strictly a "meat and potatoes" guy, so it's an uphill battle!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #89
Belle5
DIS Veteran

I have really enjoyed following your review! (Has anyone ever told you that you look a little like Anne Hathaway?)

Anyway, I am so impressed with the way WDW usually deals with food allergies. I took my sister to WDW a couple of years ago and she has a pineapple allergy. I, too, was impressed at the care that was given to her food prep, however, we had not realized just how much longer our dining would take at some restaurants by the time we waited for the chef to come speak with her and then the extra prep time to make her special food and dessert (thinking specifically of 'Ohana because of all the pineapple they use). Truthfully, it is a little bit of a pain!

I have developed a shellfish allergy and am hesitant to mention it on our upcoming trip because I am not a very patient person. However, I probably will do the right thing in the end as last year I experienced anaphylactic shock with after taking the pain medication, Aleve--so now I realize how quickly an allergic reaction can go south!

Belle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #90
lilandvisma
DIS Veteran

What an adorable couple! Great Reviews

Our March 2011 PTRMy March 2011 DxDP Review!
lilandvisma is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: