Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #31
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Kona breakfast is definitely something I have to try. Although the tonga toast sounds a bit too sweet for me.

Love that you are saving room for Jiko and eating lunch "responsibly."

2xcited2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #32
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Jiko

To say that I had been eagerly anticipating this meal for awhile would be a very huge understatement.

Almost as big an understatement as it would be to call Jiko our favorite meal of the trip. Possibly favorite meal of ever.

As I had mentioned in the beginning, Wingnut and I had originally planned for this trip to coincide with our 3-year anniversary, which was October 6th. And pretty much as soon as the trip was booked, we had Jiko reserved for our anniversary dinner.

And then...well...you know.

In between the time of our original reservation and our new one, a few menu changes occurred. The macaroni and cheese no longer accompanied the filet, which I had been considering having, but hadn't been totally fixated on having.

Unfortunately for my beloved Wingnut, a dessert he had been eyeing (nay, drooling over already), the Coffee and Koeksisters (spiced doughnuts), also disappeared. He was shocked. Dismayed. None of the new dessert offerings would ever take its place.

Well, we'd see about that.

On the way to Jiko:

We got there a bit early, and were told they wouldn't start seating until 5:30 (our reservation was for 5:35). We meandered around the lobby of AKL. We stood in the waiting area between Boma and Jiko. We then hung out in the bar area just inside the doors of Jiko, and then were called to our table.

When we approached the hostess stand with our now buzzing buzzer, the hostess handed us a card for our anniversary, which the staff had signed.

We thanked them for this unexpected and sweet gesture, and were led to our table. Some ambiance:

We were seated near the wall shown above, which subtly changed colors throughout the evening to represent a sunset.

Upon being seated, we were given two types of bread (honey wheat and flax seed) and tandoori butter.

I then notified the server about my litany of annoying food allergies, and he promptly brought out some safe bread and butter for my side of the table (the flax seed bread and regular butter).

I enjoyed the bread, it had a very nice flavor. Wingnut said, "the tandoori butter was very tasty, it went well with both of the breads. The flavor of the butter was strong, but not overpowering."

Next, it was time for appetizers. I had been looking at one in particular for awhile, and decided I couldn't not try it.

This is the barbecue chicken flatbread, and it is simply outstanding. I loved the barbecue sauce with the crispy sweet crunch of the apples and jicama. I was thrilled to finally get to try this, after seeing pictures of it for so long!

Wingnut had the Wild Boar Tenderloin for his appetizer:

He describes this as "wonderful, served over chakalaka, which was spicy, but just enough to contrast the buttery boar. There was a little mealie in the chakalaka, but it was more for the textural component." I tried a bite (okay, 2) of this, and thought it was delicious (possibly even a touch more so than my flatbread. And yes, I shared that too!)

For our main courses, I had the filet, which was served with fingerling potatoes and pole beans.

There were spices of some sort that I am unable to have in the red wine sauce, so that's why that is missing. I thought that the filet was a fantastic cut of beef, buttery and flavorful. I wished I had been able to try this in its true form, as it was very very very good, but was missing that unique touch that all of the dishes seemed to have. Definitely a delicious course though!

Wingnut then moved on to the Braised Berbary Duck

Honestly, I have never seen Wingnut enjoy a course more than this one. "The duck was like slices of filet mignon - it was soo tasty and tender. It was served over tandoori potatoes and chanterelle mushrooms, which were equally as good as the duck, and bruleed figs for a sweet component." I did not taste any of this, as I was afraid of spicy allergens within. It did look like a beautiful and delectable dish, and he literally cleared the plate.

For dessert, our wonderful server brought over an anniversary treat for each of us.

I received a sorbet sampler with triple berry, apricot, and strawberry sorbets. The strawberry and apricot were both fabulous, but the triple berry was honestly the best sorbet (possibly dessert) I have ever tasted. It was jam-packed with flavor and wonderfulness. I savored that little scoop like it was a precious treasure

(The slightly impatient) Wingnut was given the Amarula Creme Brulee. He is not typically a creme brulee fan (I know, right? ), but he called this "incredible". It had a layer of chocolate on the bottom that he said gave it a little something extra. I was unable to taste, just got to watch him swoon.

When we were about halfway through our desserts, our server came by and said that the only other dessert on the menu I would be able to have besides the sorbets was the chocolate cremeux cake, and if we would like to try that as well, he'd be happy to bring it over.

Wingnut left it up to me.

Oh, I was SO tempted. I kind of regret my decision now, but...

I declined.

Sometimes (rarely) I like to put up the appearance of being dainty, and didn't want to toss even more decadence on top of the already amazing meal. I was already stuffed. It would have been just in excess.

OH WHY DID I SAY NO?

I savored my last drop of triple berry sorbet, and thus concluded our anniversary meal at Jiko.

Despite thinking about this dinner for approximately 7 months, Jiko still managed to exceed our expectations. It was a wonderful meal from start to finish, with attentive service, beautiful ambiance, and delicious dishes. Absolutely our favorite meal of the vacation.

To conclude, a brief stop in the Beach Club on the way back led to this awesome chair find:

Doesn't it look like we took a little stroll through Pixie Hollow? Also: yes, it was cold enough for gloves!!
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #33
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by branv View Post
My goodness girl, you definitely earned this trip the hard way! Glad to hear you're recovering well. Keep up the good work on the reviews, really enjoying them (even if they did just jumpstart my dinner cravings an hour early! )
Thank you very much, we were so thrilled to be able to go to Disney!!! And welcome!! It makes me hungry looking at the food again too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Kona breakfast is definitely something I have to try. Although the tonga toast sounds a bit too sweet for me.

Love that you are saving room for Jiko and eating lunch "responsibly."
Welcome! I love Kona for breakfast! They have a bunch of different things if you're not into the fried dough caked in sugar for breakfast (I couldn't start my day with something THAT sweet either - Wingnut has no problem with that!)

Hahaha Disney dining is all about balance - can't be full for those Signature meals!!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #34
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Stringbean, what a great review of Jiko! I'm so glad you enjoyed it so. Happy Anniversary! I love the photo of you and Wingnut (I love your usernames ) You are a lovely couple! You are so pretty with your hair down~

Thanks for continuing with such a great review!

Avenger's 1/2 Marathon!
minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:23 PM   #35
gardengirl628
I'm sorry I bit you....and pulled your hair....and punched you in the face.

Loved your Jiko review....and love love love your purse!
We went to Jiko last year and I had the dessert with the coffee ice cream. Honestly, it was the best ice cream I have ever eaten. Sad to hear that it is not on the menu anymore!

Dana
WDW-offsite 1977, 1984; Dixie Landings November 1998; CSR June 2007; AKL November/December 2009; BWV/Western Magic/BLT February 2011; BCV July 2011; BLT/3 day Dream October 2012; HHI April 2013; BW August 2013
gardengirl628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #36
disneybound31
DIS Veteran

Loving these...had never considered Kona for bfast bc we have kids who may not be interested, but may need to add now!
disneybound31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:36 AM   #37
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

thanks for your wonderful review of Jiko, it's made me so excited about our May ADR

I'm glad that the evening lived up to your expectations (and beyond!)

Happy (belated) Anniversary
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #38
sophie832
Addicted to DL and WDW!

That duck at Jiko has my mouth watering! Your review definitely helped solidify our decision to make and ADR there. Can't wait!
January 2011 Dining Review!
sophie832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #39
klacey1
DIS Veteran

So glad you're doing well after your surgery! Loving these reviews and can't wait for more!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #40
Miffy2003
I've got Saratoga Springs - makes me smile every time I log on!
Yumtastic!!

I've just read all of your reviews and they were great

I've eaten at Jiko twice and I'm sure the duck wasn't on the menu before ... but it looks incredible!
Old 12-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #41
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebeth View Post
Stringbean, what a great review of Jiko! I'm so glad you enjoyed it so. Happy Anniversary! I love the photo of you and Wingnut (I love your usernames ) You are a lovely couple! You are so pretty with your hair down~

Thanks for continuing with such a great review!
Thank you! I was definitely looking forward to writing about this meal, it's fun to relive a trip through pictures of bread baskets and steak .

Hahaha he calls me Stringbean on account of my "stringbean-y" arms (not muscle-y in the least). I call him Wingnut because I felt the need to give him a little nickname, and he once scratched his hand on one. (He's seemingly the more clever nicknamer ). And thank you, I wore my hair down a bit on this trip (I had extra incentive to try to keep my ears warm!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengirl628 View Post
Loved your Jiko review....and love love love your purse!
We went to Jiko last year and I had the dessert with the coffee ice cream. Honestly, it was the best ice cream I have ever eaten. Sad to hear that it is not on the menu anymore!
Thank you!! It was my present to myself after this summer, I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it .

Awww now Wingnut will be even sadder to hear that dessert was taken off the menu! I tried being like, "well maybe it wasn't all that good...". It didn't work. I'm glad you had the opportunity to enjoy it though!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybound31 View Post
Loving these...had never considered Kona for bfast bc we have kids who may not be interested, but may need to add now!
Welcome, thank you!! They do seem to have a good variety to suit lots of different eaters, and it's an easy monorail ride away from the MK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
thanks for your wonderful review of Jiko, it's made me so excited about our May ADR

I'm glad that the evening lived up to your expectations (and beyond!)

Happy (belated) Anniversary
Thank you for the anniversary wishes!!! How exciting you'll be going there in May!! I hope you have a wonderful time

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie832 View Post
That duck at Jiko has my mouth watering! Your review definitely helped solidify our decision to make and ADR there. Can't wait!
Wingnut was honestly raving about the duck at Jiko for about...well...he STILL is. It looked delish, and I kept eyeing those bruleed figs! Yay, I hope you have a great dinner there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
So glad you're doing well after your surgery! Loving these reviews and can't wait for more!
Welcome, thank you so much!!!
Old 12-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #42
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miffy2003 View Post
I've just read all of your reviews and they were great

I've eaten at Jiko twice and I'm sure the duck wasn't on the menu before ... but it looks incredible!
Welcome, thank you!!! The duck definitely got (is still getting, actually) rave reviews from my tablemate
Old 12-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #43
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Captain's Grille

As fun as it is to try the different breakfast places throughout WDW, sometimes it's nice to stick closer to your room and not trek to your orange juice.

And actually, Captain's Grille was a new place for both of us, so really this was accomplishing two things at once. We're such multi-taskers .

So we meandered down the steps and across the lobby and arrived at breakfast. The Captain's Grille (in the Yacht Club) is a nice breakfast venue in that it offers both a buffet and a regular menu, so everyone in your party is free to choose whichever they prefer. Wingnut and I both went with the buffet. And orange juice. Have to have my morning orange juice, it gives me my spunk and charm .

Despite not being one of the more-discussed breakfast buffets ("Boma!" "Crystal Palace!" "Tusker House!"), there is a nice variety of well-cooked items on the buffet, including fruit, oatmeal, french toast, eggs, bread pudding, different breakfast meats, eggs benedict, pancakes, Mickey waffles, pastries, and other goodies.

Wingnut says that "Everything was very fresh, the fruit was especially good, and they had huge strawberries. The thin sausage (there were two different types, this one had a maple-ish glaze) was really good, so was the caramel bread pudding... yum. The buffet also had really good oatmeal, lots of nice fixins and brown sugar. The french toast was kinda meh, same with the pastries, they were a bit dry."

I agree with his assessment - we found the strawberries on this trip to be absolutely ginormous, which surprised us as it was (is) December. They had an egg, bacon, mushroom, and cheddar combination that was very good. I also enjoyed the Mickey waffles, very fresh and lovely.

I didn't take pictures of the food here, I wasn't sure that it would look attractive in little piles on my plate. However, I did take a picture of

Oh how I love that Disney World tops their hot chocolate with even more chocolate. (Disclaimer: not everywhere, I found) This was made from a mix (I'm not a hot chocolate connoisseur, it still had little powdery bits), but was still very tasty (Wingnut hypothesized if it was Mickey brand hot chocolate, or a different brand).

Overall, we really enjoyed our breakfast here (and not just because it was about a 30 second walk from our room. Okay, that did help a teensy bit ), and would not hesitate to return (actually, we did later in the trip). I'd definitely recommend a breakfast here, even if travel time was a factor. It's a quick trip to Epcot or DHS from your meal here!
Old 12-31-2010, 08:59 AM   #44
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

great Jiko review - might try this one next trip.

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:19 PM   #45
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
great Jiko review - might try this one next trip.
Thanks!!! I think it's definitely worth a visit, the food is so delicious, and you'd get to check out the beautiful bird lamps and other decor!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: