Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #151
MeMom
DIS Veteran

It's all so colorful and festive.

Do you recognize one of the Main Street Quartet guys as a former pre-Beauty and the Beast show singer? He looks familiar, and I think he might have been a 4 for a Dollar guy or whatever they were called.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #152
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Great update! I would LOVE to be there and see the holiday decorations one year. I can't see leaving for Christmas but Thanksgiving? Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
It was fun, and I wouldn't have done it or thought to have, but I am glad he came up with it! He also thought we should stay at BLT for one night before our Feb cruise, which was entirely his suggestion, who am I to interfer with a man and his plans...
I wouldn't be interfering either.

Quote:
Paolo's is fabulous. AND dont get discouraged if you go to book and they are all booked up. the CMs I have spoken to suggest that they do not put 100% of the reservation slots online for prior booking. Which means there will be space, you may just need to be flexible about the night... just shoot for a night where you are on your second visit to a restaurant or the first, so you get to experience all locations. I personally would love to visit Alaska. DH not so much, and I think it is because he rode a motorcycle to Fairbanks... What can I say -- young and foolish are we in our twenties!!!

I am sure your kids will be just the right age to have some solo time and autonomy on the ship, which being Disney makes it easier to give them that, it is safe, etc. Hey, last year, while we were waiting to leave Port Canaveral, we ordered coffee drinks -- it was cold enough!! Sipping a coffee nudge watching for whales would be okay in my book!!!
Good feedback, I'm still a bit confused on how the whole rotational dining thing actually works, is it just dinner or what, not really good info out there for the total neophyte. Every cruise I've ever been on was really fend for yourself until dinner and then that was set at a same time/table each night. So, given that I don't have a good idea as what night or nights I'd even want Palos. Given that we are last on the totem pole for booking anything as it's our first Disney cruise, it will be interesting to see what is really available...or not.

What's interesting is SOME of the info says the Wonder has Edge (the tween club) and others say it does not....I really hope it does but right now in the planning center it doesn't look like it does. That would be nice but, oh well. A bit dissapointed in the spa offerings as well but then again, it helps save money for excursions I guess.

I do confess though it occurred to me that now-March would be a good time to look for winter layering clearance stuff for the trip...scored at Lucy today.

Hey, I figure I can wear it here now and then in Alaska in Aug.

Motorcyle to Fairbanks?????????? That's a riot. I have family that used to live in Fairbanks. My cousin actually did the ultimate alaska no-no ala The Christmas Story. Yep, licked the frost on a pole.

Not good. Not good at all.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #153
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
I need to go back in December just to see this parade, I'm still so bummed that I missed it! Thanks for sharing your pics, purple shirt lady would have gotten on my nerves too.......
HA! Well she didn't realize it, of course, but it was kinda funny! I wish I had a chance to see all the Epcot Santas! I think you can't get it all in on one trip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
It's all so colorful and festive.

Do you recognize one of the Main Street Quartet guys as a former pre-Beauty and the Beast show singer? He looks familiar, and I think he might have been a 4 for a Dollar guy or whatever they were called.
Geeze, MeMom, I am impressed! I would never know a CM from one show to another! Well, maybe! I suspect they all do multiple roles... right?

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani *
February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '11 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise *
Old 01-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #154
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

Oh that parade looks like so much fun!!! What a great time!!!

OOOH the Dapper Dans...they are just so awesome!!!!

I really loved the pictures of the Walt and Mickey statue with the Castle behind it....WOW...simply stunning!!!

I really can't wait to hear more about the show! Hope you are having a great weekend!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
Old 01-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #155
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Great update! I would LOVE to be there and see the holiday decorations one year. I can't see leaving for Christmas but Thanksgiving? Absolutely!

I wouldn't be interfering either.

I agree with you, Thanksgiving is a good time I think, and right after (when we went) worked well.. the week OF Thanksgiving would be best for us work wise, b/c we have time off, so no leave required, but the price is up b/c it is holiday.

I was thrilled, needless to say! Can't wait to hang out in the Top of the World lounge for the afternoon.

Quote:
Good feedback, I'm still a bit confused on how the whole rotational dining thing actually works, is it just dinner or what, not really good info out there for the total neophyte. Every cruise I've ever been on was really fend for yourself until dinner and then that was set at a same time/table each night. So, given that I don't have a good idea as what night or nights I'd even want Palos. Given that we are last on the totem pole for booking anything as it's our first Disney cruise, it will be interesting to see what is really available...or not.

What's interesting is SOME of the info says the Wonder has Edge (the tween club) and others say it does not....I really hope it does but right now in the planning center it doesn't look like it does. That would be nice but, oh well. A bit dissapointed in the spa offerings as well but then again, it helps save money for excursions I guess.
Well I remember seeing a "tween" club, it was up in the roost, I believe they called it... ? Maybe that is actually for teens, though, and your guys are too young... I am sure that is what it was called... I am almost positive there was something... I have a Passporter's cruise book the past two editions, I can check to see if they say anything, but I would think Disney can confirm?

Well your cruise is a week, right? So basically pick the night you DON'T have Pirate night, and NOT the same restaurant as Pirate Night, b/c I think what would be the case for you is that you have all restaurants twice... If it were me, I'd tell you to skip Parrot Cay, make that your Palo's night, and make your reservation LATE, so your kids can have dinner there, with you, then go hang out while you guys have dinner...

[/quote]

Quote:
I do confess though it occurred to me that now-March would be a good time to look for winter layering clearance stuff for the trip...scored at Lucy today.

Hey, I figure I can wear it here now and then in Alaska in Aug.

Motorcyle to Fairbanks?????????? That's a riot. I have family that used to live in Fairbanks. My cousin actually did the ultimate alaska no-no ala The Christmas Story. Yep, licked the frost on a pole.

Not good. Not good at all.
Oh yes, I have been trolling for some cheap summer stuff, too! Lucy has nice stuff! Just about ready to get some new yellow box flip flops on line, to go with my new swim coverup!

Yes, my DH rode his motorcycle to Fairbanks. He was twenty something!!! Makes me laugh!!! He sold that bike a while ago, but he has a new one now. NOT taking that trip anytime soon!!! Wow! I love that story -- I have only seen the version of The Christmas Story!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani *
February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '11 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise *
Old 01-15-2011, 08:19 PM   #156
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
Oh that parade looks like so much fun!!! What a great time!!!

OOOH the Dapper Dans...they are just so awesome!!!!

I really loved the pictures of the Walt and Mickey statue with the Castle behind it....WOW...simply stunning!!!

I really can't wait to hear more about the show! Hope you are having a great weekend!
Hi ya JEN! Well actually we are having a nice weekend, the boys stayed up late tonight, we are watching Pirates of the Caribbean! I can't keep these two still they are bouncing around all over the place! Griffin starts fencing lessons next Saturday.. he is ... a little excited...

I hope to finish this TR over the three day weekend! Then I will be cruising towards my Cruise!

Old 01-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #157
MEK
DIS Veteran

Just found your TR and I must say that this is the perfect kidless get-a-way. Really enjoyed reading about your relaxing days and evenings. I think I would have a great time just visiting all the resorts, relaxing by the pool, drinking and eating. Throw MVMCP in there and you have a total winner.

BTW - your boys are really cute!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL
Old 01-16-2011, 06:27 AM   #158
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Yeay for more Christmas pictures!!! You know I have to say I love those Christmas balloons on Main Street! Yet another reason to during the holidays.

Love all the parade pictures! I think it is just so cute that all the characters wear scarfs and look all Christmas-y for the parade.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #159
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Love the parade photos. It really is a magical time of year to be there and the decorations make it all so festive!

Good job, everyone, peer pressuring Wigd into a highlights TR!

I have to go look for the cruise TR you mentioned with the pictures of the Dream... I have been feeling the cruise bug biting lately!

Old 01-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #160
manntra
DIS Veteran

What a nice relaxing time you both had So happy that you loved Kidani....I really love that resort....the location, animals, smells, decor

Too funny about your repeat performance at Blue Zoo!!! I am excited to eat there in May and I am soooo getting that Bazooka Joe cocktail!! We have looked over the drink selections already I remember seeing a drink flavored with bacon

I was devastated they took the mussels off the menu at Jiko I ended up canceling that reservation last October and changing to Shula's which was a very good choice

MVCCP pictures were beautiful...I will get there during the holidays at some point Just love that castle Glad you enjoyed your hot chocolate

So excited for your cruise...is this on the Dream or the Wonder? I really, really want to hop on another ship....

Tracy
Old 01-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #161
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
I agree with you, Thanksgiving is a good time I think, and right after (when we went) worked well.. the week OF Thanksgiving would be best for us work wise, b/c we have time off, so no leave required, but the price is up b/c it is holiday.
We are in the same boat and a week would be hard with the kids ages now so it will probably never happen but it's fun to dream about!

Quote:
I was thrilled, needless to say! Can't wait to hang out in the Top of the World lounge for the afternoon.
Oh I hope someday to get up there, how lovely! I take it you are renting points for that night then? You have to be DVC to get up there right? I didn't know if you could do that on a rental or not, seems to be a little confusion on it.

Quote:
Well I remember seeing a "tween" club, it was up in the roost, I believe they called it... ? Maybe that is actually for teens, though, and your guys are too young... I am sure that is what it was called... I am almost positive there was something... I have a Passporter's cruise book the past two editions, I can check to see if they say anything, but I would think Disney can confirm?
The club line ups have changed a little as I understand it. Sounds like all for them have a preschool, school aged and then teen option (14+ on the teen club) and some have the new "tween" option (11-13). In our planning center it just shows the boys as qualifying for Oceaneers Lab which is 5-13 I think? Maybe 6? Not sure. But then if you look at activities for the Wonder it shows Edge (the tween option) as being on it so it seems a little contradictory. Given that the AK cruise is new, excursions still going up, it may just not all up be there and fully fleshed. We will see.

Quote:
Well your cruise is a week, right? So basically pick the night you DON'T have Pirate night, and NOT the same restaurant as Pirate Night, b/c I think what would be the case for you is that you have all restaurants twice... If it were me, I'd tell you to skip Parrot Cay, make that your Palo's night, and make your reservation LATE, so your kids can have dinner there, with you, then go hang out while you guys have dinner...
Do you find out your rotation before your booking date? That will work out and that sounds like a perfect idea. We have second seating anyways but a super late ressie is probably easier to get at Palo's anyway, maybe? I have to decide if we want Palo's once, or maybe even twice

Quote:
Oh yes, I have been trolling for some cheap summer stuff, too! Lucy has nice stuff! Just about ready to get some new yellow box flip flops on line, to go with my new swim coverup!
I need a new swim coverup. Set on the suits but need a coverup for the May trip. that might be all I need for May though. I Lucy, got some trail pants, a vest and a hoodie for under $100! Hoping the athleta stuff gets a bit more marked down before I bite.

Quote:
Yes, my DH rode his motorcycle to Fairbanks. He was twenty something!!! Makes me laugh!!! He sold that bike a while ago, but he has a new one now. NOT taking that trip anytime soon!!! Wow! I love that story -- I have only seen the version of The Christmas Story!
Well it was pretty awful as I understand it, her tounge was messed up for a really long time. It was a little karma like, she was the MOST obnoxious child, very cute in an "Annie" kind of way and boy did she know it. We always thought it was an urban Alaska myth but apparently not, kids really do it! It wasn't too long after they moved up there and I can see the fascination with the crystals. Heck, I could see Eric doing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manntra View Post

Too funny about your repeat performance at Blue Zoo!!! I am excited to eat there in May and I am soooo getting that Bazooka Joe cocktail!! We have looked over the drink selections already I remember seeing a drink flavored with bacon

I was devastated they took the mussels off the menu at Jiko I ended up canceling that reservation last October and changing to Shula's which was a very good choice

Tracy
I think we each need to get a different one! I'm down for the blood orange....

I'm sad about the mussels at Jiko but since I've never eaten there, still excited for it in May!
Old 01-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #162
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Hey there! Just discovered your TR. I was in the mood to read about something Christmasy so I've read the whole thing! What a fun trip! Can't wait to hear more!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #163
Happydog
DIS Veteran

The MVMCP castle show!

So I was really looking forward to seeing the Castle show because last year we kept missing it. I saw the Tomorrowland show with Santa and Stitch, and Buzz, etc., but I hadn't seen the main Castle show. It was really special and festive. Again, as it was something I hadn’t seen last year, so that made it really fun!

We ended up selecting a spot right in the center hub, leaning on a rail to watch… Here are my photos…

I must have taken this one while I was waiting for the show to start!

I must confess I don't know that I really knew what the story line was

This one is my favorite! I wish it were a little brighter, but Mickey and the soldiers are too cute!

Mickey and Minnie are so adorable and all the characters are, really, in their holiday get up!

MORE in the next POST!!!!!!

Old 01-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #164
Happydog
DIS Veteran

More Castle show photos...

Midway through the show (as I said, I couldn’t really follow the story line ) it turns into the Nutcracker... Or rather the Nutcracker characters end up dancing with the Disney CMs and the fabulous five!! A few blurry photos, sorry -- they move so fast!!!!

These last two give you the scale of it all...

The end of the show was really impressive, all the characters, reindeers, soldiers, the snowflake dancers and all the dancers and CMs from the parade were all there, and Goofy was Santa. And Frosty! The real Santa was taking photos on a bench in the hub on mainstreet, right below the train station (where they usually have Character meets..)

It was lively, and so festive and fun, that it made a great ending to our night. Looking at the last photos gives me goosebumps again, because it really was amazing and how can photos really capture the moment entirely, you know? The costumes were amazing, every detail. so neat. I just loved seeing it.

STAY tuned... one more MVMCP post and a SURPRISE MIDNIGHT DIS MEET!!!!! NO kiddin'...

Old 01-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #165
Happydog
DIS Veteran

You run into people when you least expect it!

Alas, it was late. Really late!!! Like Midnight, late! So with the show over, we meandered back through Main street, and I took a few more photos, including my photos of Santa’s little corner over by town hall... the fact that there were 25 days until Christmas (at the time) was really neat! Looking back of course that makes me laugh because now it is after Christmas, but I was so excited and full of anticipation for the holidays!!

I tell you, I can't get enough of these soldiers! I wish Disney would make these... I'd buy a bunch!!

NOW, as I was getting my final photos, I happened to look over to my left and you will never ever guess who I saw...

LAST year, fall of 2009, I had another DIS celebrity sighting!!! After seeing Jen (aka JenJolt) in line for TSM at DHS, wearing her special DIS shirt, I would never have thought this would happen again, BUT it so happens this evening, again as late as it was, I happened to see out of the corner of my eye two adorable little girls wearing matching, really cute minnie outfits!!!

I looked over and saw without question that the mom with them was Ladybug Mom, here on the DIS, and her two little girls!!! And sure enough, there was Becky as exhausted as I after a fun filled and very full day and evening enjoying MK and the party. We had texted a couple times, but I didn’t think we’d be able to find each other for a meet during the party – and then low and behold, we ended up standing right next to each other totally unaware!!! I laughed. I mean had I not seen those little outfits she bought for the girls, I wouldn't have even notices... that is what pics and PTR posts are for, I guess!!! We chatted for a few minutes, her DH took a photo of us (She posted it on facebook – I copied it so I could post it here! (SIDE NOTE: Both of us were complaining about our “shiny” faces – it was so hot and such that evening, even still!!!! so Becky, I powdered our noses before I posted it LOL!!!!!! )

Her husband took a lot of photos, and clearly has a much nicer camera than I, AND knows how to use it!!! So here is one he took while we chatted, you can see us in the corner!!

Is’t that a great shot!!!!! So pretty…. Santa is down in the center there, taking photos… I am sure when she starts her TR you will enjoy all of his photos, I know I will!!!! It was tremendous fun just running into her like that, a perfect ending to a wonderfully magical evening

Outside the entrance... a bad shot of the MK sign!!

And THAT...

MY Friends, was our evening at Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party!

Pssst. ONE last post coming soon, with a few souvies and a NEW PTR link!!! Stay Tuned!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: