Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board > United We Stand
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2011, 10:25 PM   #16
ClarabelleCowFan
Found Someone You Have
There's always a shortage of Barbie legs
I'm as coordinated as a drunk duck
Has never owned a guinea pig
If I see a vein I'm done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franksfine View Post
Hello! Cool forum, we are going to DW for our honeymoon in 2 years, happy to find this place.

I found it b/c I was researching how people feel on military discounts. Everyone loves to get a couple bucks off, but I had a question, feedback would be great!

As a military person or family do you think that small businesses that are just starting out should offer one? Do you get offended when a business does not give one? I just opened a store in an army town and I really can't afford to be giving anyone a discount. I have a very small loan and overhead is very expensive. And if they do give one, even if it's a 5% discount, to you look down on them for not offering more?

Thanks guys and gals I appreciate it :D
I think it is a great idea IF your business can afford it. I was a small business owner for years and did offer a discount to certain groups but honestly not too many took advantage of it.

You could always offer a 10% discount 1 day a week (your SLOWEST day so that you draw in more business) like Old Navy does or have a Military Appreciation month where you give the discount every day during that month (again aim for the slowest month so that you will hopefully gain more customers during that time).

5% sounds low. I've never seen anyone give a military discount less than 10% but 5% is more than 0 and lots of places give that so personally, I would be grateful but some may snub their nose at it. Could you offer a 10% discount with a certain amount of purchase (say 10% off when you purchase $50 or more) or even a discount if the military member is in uniform?

If you do decide to offer a military discount then look into the different military networks for your area. I know that where we live there is a Facebook page for the local area that would be a great place to advertise.

Good luck and thanks for considering the discount!
Old 06-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #17
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

I mostly get offended with the large chains that don't give a discount, because they can really afford to do it more so than say a small mom and pop place, which is usually who gives the best discounts. And I say this because this is primarily a Military town, so you would think they would support their troops. Most of the discounts we get are 10% and usually in the $1 to $2 range on my purchases.

A couple of restaurants only give them to soidiers in uniform, others have a Military Monday.

Most of the ones I know about are unadvertised and most families don't even know to ask.

Suzanne
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #18
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

I ask everywhere. Booked a party for my DH at a local place while he was home on R&R, and even though they technically didn't have a military discount, they shaved a nice chunk off the room rental bill.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: