Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #136
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

December 4, Day 5 continued again

As I mentioned, it was time for dinner. And that was going to be at DTD! We also had some Lego Store business to conduct.

Interrupted by SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will be back later. It's probably not going to stick, so if E and I want to experience it, we gotta get outside now. Snow!!!!!

Meanwhile, Robert's plane is about to land in the middle of summer.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 01-20-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #137
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Enjoy your snow time!! How fun!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2011, 12:26 AM   #138
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

No no. The snow was pretty, tickly on my face, wet, and COLD. It was a nice little walk, but now the insides of my ears feel even worse (my aunt in Florida is having the EXACT SAME symptoms as I have been having, but hers has been going on longer, and she says that most of the news anchors in the area sound the same as she does (and I do)...what the heck do we have?) and I'm fairly certain that my lungs froze. Drat. Hate when that happens.

December 4, Day 5 continued again part deux

As I mentioned, it was time for dinner. And that was going to be at DTD! We also had some Lego Store business to conduct.

I know that we took the bus home, so we obviously took the bus there. It was too cold to think of taking the boat there, but in retrospect it would have been fun. The loose plan was dinner at Raglan Road and then shopping. And that's exactly what happened.

The only thing that was unexpected was the LOUD Irish band playing right next to our table. They have a tall table-looking stage in the middle of the room, and they have Irish dancing up there. Pretty cool.

Robert got extra special "permission" from Eamon to have the fish and chips that night. Since E has been vegetarian his entire life, it really weirds him out when Robert eats fish (he's never seen me eat it, and in fact it's been about 2 years since that happened and I don't plan on it happening again, just too gross), and he makes comments. So the request was made for a comment-free meal, and that was given to Robert. He also had a hard cider. I had the risotto made with veg stock, and a White Rascal beer. Eamon had the quite tasty mac and cheese.

They give the fish/chips in a presentation that makes it look like a LOT of food. They did the same with the kid's meal (and you should have seen the fish and chicken 'n chips for the other two kids at the table! HUGE! I actually think they gave the Girlie an adult portion, and the tiny mite of a thing ate almost all of it). But with MINE, they put a perfectly sizable portion into a HUGE plate/bowl, which made the actual food look tiny. I looked at the plate thinking "this is it?"

Now by the time I got halfway through it, I realized it was too much. But why do that with your plating; why disappoint people up front like that?

It was very good, though it looked bland as bland can be.

My aunt had their portabello burger, and an organic beer from the local Orlando Brewery. I didn't realize they had that there, or I would have tried it! She said it was quite good.

The meal was good, company fun, and the room was boisterous. Too boisterous. I gave up in trying to hear and just sat back and watched everyone.

From there it was the madness of the Lego Store. I thought the Anaheim one was bad, but this store is ugly like a warehouse, chaotic, way too packed, and crazy. I did not enjoy my time there. I will welcome a visit to the Anaheim DTD store in the future.

E got a game, Minotaurus, cousin E got a pickabrick container, and we all left. Then Tinkerbell called and asked me to get something for E b/c of his tooth, so I got a Harry Potter minifig keychain.

At that point it was pretty late, and we'd gone swimming that day which takes energy from you, so we slowly and painfully made our way back.

Goodnight wander-the-resorts-and-DTD day!

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 01-20-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #139
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Did you get any photos of the gingerbread shop/house in the GF, even though it wasn't that impressive?

I really love the look of the GF, both inside and outside - although I don't know if I think that the inside architecture is necessarily consistent (thematically) with the outside architecture. I'm sure it is, somehow, but my mind just doesn't connect the dots btween the way it looks inside and the way it looks outside. But I like both looks!

And that is one gigantic tree in the GF! Wow! I wonder how big that tree is. I guess it's a matter of perspective from where you snapped the photo, but it looks way, way, way bigger (not just a little bit) than the GCH tree, even though the GCH ceiling is incredibly high.

Speaking of the GCH and the inevitable Wilderness Lodge comparisons...I can see in your WL photos where the similarities between the look/design of the WL and the GCH are made. But I have to say that, so far, I think I like the GCH a bit more. Maybe it's because I'm used to it and because I have not seen the WL in all its glory up close and personal. But just the specific fireplace areas alone looks better at the GCH, in my opinion.

Poor E with his little tooth! Gosh, I remember those days of having loose, flopping teeth. Ick. I'd be trying to chew food and I'd bite down on the loose tooth because it got in the way. I cringe just thinking about it. It was so annoying. And then when a tooth finally got loose enough to come out, it was always a daunting task to have to yank it or get it out somehow. It wasn't fun.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 01-12-2011 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #140
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I didn't get any pictures, and I could barely see a thing towards the gingerbread house stuff, b/c of the crowds. I'm not even sure I saw what I was supposed to see; my attention went towards the chef lady talking in her microphone and decorating a little house. And then my attention went towards "are all the kids present and accounted for" and then I saw the Jack Sparrow double photopass guy and I turned away from the gingerbread madness entirely.

I did catch a photo looking up where you could see a sort of spiral of balconies, not unsimilar (dissimilar?) from the style of your sorcerer hat photos. Guess we were thinking along the same lines during our trips!

The thing that's nice about Disney is that they don't just have one resort style. So I can be happier at WL than at the Grand, and you can be the opposite, etc etc. And it's funny that you feel the rooms at the PPH are dim, because I always feel that they are sunny and bright! But I always throw the drapes open until nighttime, so maybe that helps, and maybe I've had sunny weather each time I've stayed.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #141
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I didn't get any pictures, and I could barely see a thing towards the gingerbread house stuff, b/c of the crowds. I'm not even sure I saw what I was supposed to see; my attention went towards the chef lady talking in her microphone and decorating a little house. And then my attention went towards "are all the kids present and accounted for" and then I saw the Jack Sparrow double photopass guy and I turned away from the gingerbread madness entirely.

I did catch a photo looking up where you could see a sort of spiral of balconies, not unsimilar (dissimilar?) from the style of your sorcerer hat photos. Guess we were thinking along the same lines during our trips!

The thing that's nice about Disney is that they don't just have one resort style. So I can be happier at WL than at the Grand, and you can be the opposite, etc etc. And it's funny that you feel the rooms at the PPH are dim, because I always feel that they are sunny and bright! But I always throw the drapes open until nighttime, so maybe that helps, and maybe I've had sunny weather each time I've stayed.
Oh I agree that the PPH rooms are sunny and bright in the daytime - that's always one of my selling points when people pose the age-old questions of whether or not they should stay onsite and which of the 3 DLR hotels is best! I think the natural light of the PPH rooms is bright and sunny and cheery - it's the GCH rooms that seem dreadfully dark (and small) to me!

But, it's the lights - the actual lamps, not the natural light - of the PPH that I noticed are especially dim. I couldn't figure out why the room was so dim when all the lights were turned on (like if it was pre-dawn or in the evening). It seemed like it should be much brighter, and it had been much brighter in there in the past. But otherwise, yes, during the day it's nice and bright without the lights on!

I can't say for sure that I like the GCH better than the WL. I haven't been to the WL in person to be able to make a fair assessment. I know I like the look of the fireplace at GCH better than the WL, but as for the rest of the hotel, I'm not sure. I know I do not care for the actual rooms at GCH much at all, so I probably would enjoy the WL rooms much more! Yes, there are definitely all sorts of themes to the hotels, so there would have to be something for everyone between DLR and WDW!

Oooh - the spiral of balconies photo sounds cool! Is that one coming up soon? I'd love to see it. I don't think I missed it, did I? I love spiral-y looking things. All I knew was that I wanted to capture a different take on that oh-so-familiar Sorcerer Hat that I hadn't seen before. I took a weird photo under the Golden Gate Bridge at DCA too - not a 'looking up' perspective, but a close-up of part of the underside of it. You know...you have to step outside the box every now and then and get all avant garde about it!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 01-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #142
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

a quick picture update!

I never noticed that about the actual lights at PPH. Hmm.

For some reason it seems I'd culled some hotel-day pix from the photobucket upload. Let me do that now.

So here's a pictures-I-didn't-upload-before post, courtesy of Sherry's questions!

We own, for a period of years, a tiny fraction of this!

Entering the Contemporary.

How do you think they get that wreath up there, and how do you think it's attached?

What I was surprised by is that Chef Mickey's restaurant is down on the ground floor, not up and away from it all. It makes sense, now that I think about it, but I was seriously surprised when I looked down from the monorail and saw the restaurant!

Here's some sort of mural or mosaic...

An outside tree!

This picture is one of the ones that got me yelled at on the GF monorail platform. Well, not yelled AT. But yelled, hmm, to? I just didn't notice that I was supposed to get away...

Not sure why this didn't make my original cut. I love chandelier shots!

Here's the tiny house the chef lady was working on. Just not all that different from what E and I make from kits...

And the really disappointing (it's not even a spiral) picture of something that looked cool in person....

Last edited by bumbershoot; 01-20-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:11 PM   #143
kaoden39
Hugs

It really does look Contemporary.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #144
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

So glad they named it that!

Also very glad we got out in the snow, as it's allll gone now. Rain rain rain all melted the pretty snow...

Old 01-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #145
kaoden39
Hugs

Boo on the rain.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #146
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Total boo.

I was looking at the weather, and google had a link to a report for the weather down near the Army base...they used the term "ice mist". Ice mist? That sounds awesome, doesn't it?

Alas, it was just misty rain.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #147
skitt
Mouseketeer

Enjoying your TR! I know you from CC, I can't believe Eamon is 6 and so grown up, wow! I remember lurking and waiting to hear how your birth went!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:59 PM   #148
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Wow, that's amazing! Who were you on CC?

Editing to add...those were pretty dark times for me...I'm doing much better now!

Old 01-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #149
skitt
Mouseketeer

It's a small internet after all I'm magrat on CC. Not sure I posted much, but I followed your story closely because I was really inspired by your desire for a natural birth, and I hoped to have a natural birth someday too, possibly a homebirth. And I did! First baby (3 1/2 now) all natural at a very natural friendly hospital, and my second (10 months) at home - he arrived 15 minutes after the midwife! And we're headed to WDW at the end of February!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:03 AM   #150
kaoden39
Hugs

Ice mist? Magical wording for cold rain?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: