Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Ooh, the monorail DOES smell funny... (almost finished!) [11/30-12/17, 2010]

Hello, I am a trip report. I have no name b/c my writer can't make up her mind. Silly writer. Plus, she's not really sure of the direction, the focus, of this report, other than the fact that it will recount the things she and her family did in Orlando for a few recent weeks.

So expect the title to change names. The writer and I apologize in advance if you should lose track of the title and want to find the silly thing again.

And now, to the writer of this probable tome (if past DLR reports are any indication of how much I can write about very little).

I am Molly, a homeschooling mamacita (might be the first time I've ever used that word to refer to myself) with a 6 year old boy-child. He's an "only", but a really good one, and if he is "all" we get, kidlet-wise, he's the perfect little dude for us!

[I should mention right now that we're always happy to have another kiddo and do not feel like it's too late at all...my cousin's husband put his foot firmly into his mouth during our trip, because my cousin hadn't shared our continued baby hopes with him, and I don't want any of my readers to do the same, b/c he seemed very embarrassed (though I was VERY nice about it) and I would hate for any of you nice people to feel like he did.]

The hubster is Robert. I might be the budget-watcher, the one that made our money create this trip, but he's the one that made the money. Yay him! He also helps with the homeschooling. And the dishes. And cooking. Hmm, what is it I actually do around here? He might need to renegotiate his contract soon. Hmm.

Eamon is our son. His name is said sort of like Aidan but not. OK that makes more sense when you hear it. It starts with the "a" of the "Ai" part of Aidan. Then you end it with an "un" like you say the "an" part of Aidan. But of course there's an M in there instead of a D. It's not like "amen", no matter how you say that word. Unless you say it strangely, of course. Anyway, he's an active dude, taking all sorts of classes at the Y. He loves friends and cousins. He's ALL about the cousins, even when he hasn't met them yet!

We've been visiting Disneyland since he was 17 months old. Just a one day trip then and the year after, on a longer trip to visit my San Diego-dwelling brother and his wife. In 2007 we decided we wanted more, and so 2 full years of having DLR APs and taking several trips, including 3 solo trips for me, ensued.

I have family that lives on the east coast of Florida, along with a cousin who was raised in Orlando and still lives there, and another in Tampa. We'd wanted to visit them for a long time, and got into wanting to see WDW shortly after getting all into Disneyland/DCA. We had a couple start-stops in WDW planning; some stops were had almost immediately after starting! With our budget, it's just hard to do DLR and WDW at the same time.

So after our trip last year to DLR (I should mention that we bought into DVC in March 2009), we called a halt to those trips. All funds were poured into paying off our car (finished! 2 years early) and towards this trip. All vacations were called to a halt to make sure we had the funds AND the vacation time for our epic trip.

Well, except that Robert travels as part of his job, so he got to take care of the travel bug that way. And my lovely brother and his handsome wife (or the other way around) are quite generous AND love their nephew, so they've had me and Eamon down a few times. All that in mind, however, it's still very difficult for a travel-loving family to not take full vacations for OVER a year! After all, Robert's still working on work trips, and I'm the solo parent when I'm at my brother's (they are blissfully childfree, and while my brother has incredible insight about kids and especially Eamon, they aren't going to actually take over for more than the time it would take me to work out and shower). Not a breezy time for anyone but the boy.

OK so here we are! Obviously we're back from WDW and Universal, so this trip happened! So let's get to it. Or as they say on Disaster, "and we're....movin' on"!

long and boring pretrip journal

extra cast of characters

flying

driving

checking in

settling in

December 1 A & B

December 2 A & B & C & D at Hollywood Studios

December 3 A & B & C at Epcot

December 4 A & B & C + forgotten pictures on resort-exploration and DownTownDisney day

December 5 A & B & C at Magic Kingdom

December 6 A & B at Animal Kingdom

December 7 at Epcot, and thoughts about the showcases

December 8 at DHS, with Brown Derby tastiness!

December 9 A & B & C at AK!

December 10 A & B & C & D at Universal's Islands of Adventure!

December 11 A & B at Universal's Universal Studios! (lol)

December 12 A & B back at IOA!

December 13 A & B & C at Universal/IOA, and D Jambo House

December 14 at Jambo, with family

December 15 At Epcot, with other family!

December 16 at DHS

December 17 A & B & C back at MK

A few Photopass pictures

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 02-13-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
Princess Mags
Earning My Ears

Cool first poster can't wait to read about your trip! Oh and by the way I love your son's name... It's really awesome and original without being too out there
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Hi Molly!! I am here!!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Wowie, my first person! Welcome!

While at WDW, we finally met another Eamon. Robert was in the shop at Expedition Everest and heard a woman saying something to an Eamon. Ooh was he confused. He actually brought them outside to meet us, and both boys thought it was really cool to meet another without having to go to Ireland!

The story behind the name is that I'd always wanted an Aidan, after I saw Benny and Joon and fell madly in love with Aidan Quinn. But then...everyone else used the name before I got a chance to, and I just couldn't do it. We found "Eamonn" in a Celtic Baby Names book, and loved it. Should mention that we were watching lots of Lord of the Rings, and loved Eomer and Eowyn's names, but couldn't do that either.

So we had a list of names we liked, and I named him from that list when the time came. Turns out I should have named him Angus though; that was from Robert's list of boy names, but I thought it sounded too rough and tumble for the little dude I had...but as he got older, I could see that it would have been great. Same with Hamish; that name is of a character in Braveheart, Wallace's big burly (but sweet) friend. Would have been GREAT for Eamon. Not that E is big or burly, but he ACTS it.

I'll get back to the report soon. Right now the little not-Angus not-Hamish is in need of food, and it falls to me as Robert is trying to fix my Macbook, which got a beer rudely spilled into it last night. I could continue to ignore the food situation, but I am in the living room and somehow Phantom Menace was put on and then left by the watchers (Eamon and Robert), and I just don't like it enough to stay in the room until the watchers come back!

Hi Michele!

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:44 PM   #5
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

I'm here too!!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 12-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Woohoo!

Old 12-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #7
kaoden39
Hugs

It's getting to be a real party here!!
Old 12-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
Casey's Mommie
Nothing makes a Mommy happier than hearing her baby laugh!

I've always loved reading your trip reports, bumbershoot! Looking forward to reading all about WDW!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:04 PM   #9
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Yay, another reader!

Good news for those coming from my pre-trip report...my computer is limping, but sort of on. Might not ultimately make it, but at least it isn't entirely gone yet.

(and this Dell of Robert's is still awful. I should have "let" him (and by that I mean I should have just ordered it without asking anything like "I've never heard of that brand, is it a real computer brand?") buy the Acer!)

Old 12-21-2010, 11:18 PM   #10
kaoden39
Hugs

I have heard good things about the Acer computers. Good luck with your little baby.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:36 AM   #11
LisaKeys
Mouseketeer

I've subscibed :)

Looking forward to reading your TR!
And I love my Acer Aspire Laptop!!!

Someone please stop the Mango, Garlic and DxDP!!! Jan 10-23, 2011

July 1973 - MK one day/off site; November 1991 - WDW Villa's; February 1993 WDW off site; November 1999 - WDW offsite; December 2001 - WDW BWLBV-DTD; Jan 10-23, 2011 - Coronado Springs Resort and Best Western DTD
Old 12-22-2010, 01:24 AM   #12
QueenDoOver
Dis Diva

Me too! Patiently waiting!
Old 12-22-2010, 02:18 AM   #13
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

As an overview of the trip planning....there were things the trip was supposed to be. Many of those things did NOT happen.

While planning, Vero Beach was considered to start off the trip. But I just couldn't work out how to get there without losing a large chunk of time (doubled by reversing it).

While planning right up until the end, right into the middle of the trip, actually, we had plans to go to Dinosaur World...that plan was just pushed off the planning board. It was a bummer, but on the other hand, I hadn't really realized how dinosaur-heavy both WDW and Universal would be. After seeing a *moving* triceratops and triceratops baby in Jurassic Park, who would want a mere fiberglass shell of one? (though honestly that day happened after the plan had been tabled)

The other thing dumped from the plan was Orangeworld, the big orange-shaped citrus store. Couldn't find a time, couldn't find the interest in the guys...

So those are the things that weren't done.

What was done, you ask? Ah, that would be telling too soon.

But we did have two nights at Caribbean Beach Resort to try to sleep off some jet lag. Then we met family and had a 2 bedroom villa at Old Key West. After that time (stressful. and fabulous at the exact same time) they did go back home and we moved to a 1 bedroom villa at Old Key West. Then we moved to Universal's Royal Pacific Resort, Club Level floor. And lastly we went on back to Animal Kingdom Lodge in another 1 bedroom villa, but at Jambo, not Kidani Village (where most of the villas are).

OK that all sounds really fancy, but almost all of it was thanks to nearly 3 years' worth of DVC points. Which means we will have to borrow from 2012 points if we want to do anything close to this next year. And if we do that, well...we'll have to do other things for vacation LOL.

I've lost track of where I was going with all of that, and Robert's trying to get me to watch Psych (our DVR is beyond full), so I might as well post this.

Last edited by bumbershoot; 12-23-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:31 AM   #14
kaoden39
Hugs

Staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort is something I have always wanted to do.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #15
Brady's Mom
"Get off the roof, get off the roof, get off the roof!"
The snowball has hit my family and hit it hard

I'm here, too! Glad to see you've had some time to start telling your story! Can't wait to read more.

October 2006 - Family trip September 2007 - 40th B-day trip March 2008 - 12 people trip December 7-12, 2008 - Christmas trip May 25-28, 2009 - Surprise Family Trip
July 16-19, 2009 - DH's 50th B-Day trip! Nov. 1-6, 2009 - Family Trip April 3-10, 2010 - Family Trip October 7-13, 2012 - Family Trip with Best Friends

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: