Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
tmbrea
Mouseketeer

pop up campers and shower tents???

I'm considering buying a use pop up camper, most that of the one's i'm finding in my price range don't have a inside shower but most do have outside shower. Has anyone ever used a shower tent with theirs? and can I set one up at my campsite?

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6mc5sfmqhjiehp.png[/img]
tmbrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
KristinU
DIS Veteran

We don't have a shower. 99% of the time we camp at places with bathhouses and just use the showers there. Fort Wilderness has very nice ones as a matter of fact, so no worries.

There are a couple of pretty remote places we like that don't have bathhouses, so we do have a shower tent and a Zodi propane shower thing. Works great! You do need to make sure you know the gray water rules of the park or land that you're on and keep the environment in mind with your soap products if you're allowed to drain gray water directly onto the ground. Many places will require you to catch your gray water and dispose of it properly, not a big deal, just something to know.

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend! 2014 OKW for our 20th Anniversary and Wine & Dine Half Marathon
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
mnsprk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmbrea View Post
and can I set one up at my campsite?
Not at the FORT.. you would have to catch all the water..
mnsprk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
tmbrea
Mouseketeer

shower tent

I've seen at least on shower tent on line with a optional bottom that has a connection for a water hose to drain, if camping at full hookup site, should be able to drain without a problem.

what do most tent campers do with their dish water??

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6mc5sfmqhjiehp.png[/img]
tmbrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
mnsprk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They are supposed to be dumping it in the Comfort Station either in the sink or commode.
mnsprk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
YodaGirl
DIS Veteran

We have a shower tent that we have used at the Fort. To prevent the water from running onto the ground, you have to get a decent size rubbermaid container to stand in for a "tub". You can always dump that water into a bucket to make it easier to carry to a comfort station. If you're using water from a solar shower bag, you won't use a large amount of water, therefore carrying it to the comfort station wouldn't be an issue.

To be honest, though, the comfort stations are really nice. I'm a complete germ freak, but I finally gave the comfort station a try this last time. I'm SO glad I did. They were clean, and the water was reliable - which is much more than I can say for our shower tent. It was either too hot or too cold, and at one point a baby lizard must have been at the water spout when DH filled the bag. The lizard ended up IN the shower bag. Needless to say, I didn't use that shower bag. lol

WDW
Nov '82 OP, Aug '86 FtW, May '87 OP, May '89 FtW, Jun '91 FtW, July '96 Poly, July '97 FtW, July '04 FtW, March '06 FtW, May '09 FtW, Oct '10 FtW, Mar '13 FtW

YodaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
Tri-circle-D
Throwing some love to TCD
They are full and clean!

Quote:
I've seen at least on shower tent on line with a optional bottom that has a connection for a water hose to drain, if camping at full hookup site, should be able to drain without a problem.

To answer your questions, yes you could set up a shower tent and have it drain into the sewer connection on a full hook up site.

Campers on the partial hook-up sites are supposed to collect dishwater and other waste water and dump it in the sewer connection of a full hook up site, or in a toilet or sink at the comfort station.

I have seen a few folks with shower tents at Fort Wilderness. Very few. I can't think of a good reason why you would want to go through the hassle of using one, when there are very nice comfort stations with private showers available to use.

TCD
Tri-circle-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #8
scot@dvcstore
Saratoga Springs Member

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Use the bathhouse, much easier and a must if no indoor shower for your popup. Need to have a holding tank for the water.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #9
luckycharm19335
DIS Veteran

Just use the comfort station.
It would certainly save you a lot of work and a lot of time.
luckycharm19335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #10
tim5055
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm considering buying a use pop up camper, most that of the one's i'm finding in my price range don't have a inside shower but most do have outside shower. Has anyone ever used a shower tent with theirs? and can I set one up at my campsite?
First of all I agree with the others, use the comfort stations at FW for showers. Now, I have used my shower tent at the fort to set up a porta potti in. Nice for #1 at 2AM and you don't want to walk to the comfort station.

Now for camping in the National Forest, we used the shower tent all the time. But you will have to extend the shower hose.

My exterior shower in the old pop up. We have an inside shower in the new pop up.
tim5055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
Lyndria
Fort Junkie

Use the Fort bathrooms. I think they are the nicest bathhouses I have ever been in!

We have a pop-up with an outside shower, no inside shower. We never use it! Ever! We also don't have an inside toilet, but that doesn't bother us either. I just make sure we are near a comfort station wherever we camp.
Lyndria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #12
~Kristina~
DIS Veteran

We don't have a shower/toilet at all in our pop up. The comfort station very clean.

November 21-28, 2015 Fort Wilderness
Summer 2016
~Kristina~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #13
mikeymouse1
Mouseketeer

No need for the tent just do what ya got to do and smile and wave at the passers buy! J/k I had a pup with a inside and outside shower and rarely used eather unless the comfortstation was nasty. We had one and only used it when we were building our house so not to give the neighbors a show!The C/S at the Fort our usualy cleaner than my bathroom at home!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: