Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #151
exwdwcm
wishes she was Wendy Moira Angela Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybarbie View Post
lovely update!
so sad your trip (and TR) is nearly over!

I've wondered what the DVC 'meet and mingle' things are like so it was nice to see your photos & thoughts about it!

How great you got to see your CM friend performing in Epcot too!

Emma x
Thanks for reading along Emma! The mingle was fun, i would do the Christmas one again for sure. I haven't done the usual weekly one they do at Atlantic Dance, but if the schedule allows, we might try it next trip just to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardingk View Post
Great update!

I think we have an extra DVC ornament. We went to the member mixer this past year and got one and we also got one at the DVC Doorway to Dreams store that is in our mall. I have to check our Christmas ornament boxes but I will look for you!
Oh you are awesome! That would be so sweet! I was such a goof that I didn't even realize it was gone until hours later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRed95 View Post
Oh, you have had a couple of rough weeks! I'm so sorry about the termites, heat and your poor car! At least it's almost the weekend, so hopefully things will get better and you can relax a little.

Great trip updates! I love the Dole Whip pictures. I'm glad you had a great experience at Via Napoli. I definitely need to check that place out. Everyone seems to be giving in great reviews.
well hopefully all the 'bad' things are done with for now! You will love Via Napoli, the food was so delicious. we are already planning to go back in october! I hear they are now also offering it by the slice at a little pizza window too for QS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellLuvr7 View Post
Wow!! I just read like 4 updates!!!

Sorry for the issues at BTMR I could have sworn or put money on it that if you went to GR that you can have an official measurement taken?!

I for sure would have asked for a manager. In my MK training (even though I wasn't attratctions) they told us that people..mostly non Engish speaking, would just say that he/she just rode when they really didn't. Also, sadly, the person outside of the ride might have been talking with other guests and didn't see you entering the line to do a measurment, that's why they would do another one before the ride. The front of the line obviously can't communicate with the ride loader. Sad but true but I would have stopped at GR or asked for a manager just to see what they suggest so that the issue with the particular CM could be fixed so he knows how to do an official height check. I worked rides for 2 summers at a local amusement park and while I loved it, it was tough dealing with the height issues

I loved all the MVMCP pics! You went the first night we arrived! We thought about going on the 10th but decided on the 12th which was still super busy too!! I had no idea that the 9th sold out!!

I can't wait to do Pick a Pearl. My CM friend that I sent the necklace to, picked her pearl this week and got a 7mm so hers fit great she said!

Sorry about the car!! We are finally seeing some warmer temps this weekend and next week! I'm hoping to be able to take my kids outside on Monday since it will be in the upper 40s! I think they said it will be in the 50s by Wed!!
Thanks for the info on the measurements. I just didn't even think about going to GR, i am just not one to complain, besides, the moment was ruined at that point and there not getting it back (his excitement to ride right then), plus we didn't want to have to stop our day to go complain. I didn't realize you could do an official height measurement at GR- do they give you something that shows what it is that you show the CM? interesting!

i can't wait to see what kind of pearl you get- hopefully it fits and maybe you get one of those pretty blue ones or something!

so glad the weather is warming up for you too. we are supposed to be 60-70s next week. still thawing out some ice around- our parking lot at work is still pretty slippery. I am so ready for no more ice or snow! No way could i love any further north than north texas! you guys that brave it all winter are champs!

WDW College Program-Fall 96
84, 86-FTW, 93-FTW, 97, 98-OFFSITE, 00-POR, 03, 04, 05-GAYLORD, 04-POFQ, 05-POR, 06-CBR, 07-AKL, May 09-DIS Podcast Cruise, DEC 09-DAP/WL, Sept 10-DL, DEC 10 BLT, FEB 10 JOINED DVC! AUG 11 DLH, OCT 11 BLT, NOV 2012 BLT
Old 02-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #152
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Oh, I just hate the end of the trip! I get like that too, get sad in the middle because I know it is almost over. Heck, the end of the first day I am usually bummed that the time is going by so fast. Time seems to fly by on vacation, especially a Disney vacation!

I am excited to check out the caramel store in Germany, and we really want to eat at Via Napoli this trip as well. DH & I love pizza! Hopefully we can get a reservation. We will have to check out the performance in Italy to check out your friend! We have never timed our WS touring to see the performers, and I'd like to do that this time at least for a few of them. I think Paxton would enjoy stuff like that!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #153
*tinker*bell*
Mouseketeer

sucks that your TR is almost over your last full day was pretty eventful but looked like fun!

I shall tag along (probably mostly lurk like usual ) over at your PTR in a bit!
Old 02-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #154
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwdwcm View Post
Thanks for the info on the measurements. I just didn't even think about going to GR, i am just not one to complain, besides, the moment was ruined at that point and there not getting it back (his excitement to ride right then), plus we didn't want to have to stop our day to go complain. I didn't realize you could do an official height measurement at GR- do they give you something that shows what it is that you show the CM? interesting!

i can't wait to see what kind of pearl you get- hopefully it fits and maybe you get one of those pretty blue ones or something!

so glad the weather is warming up for you too. we are supposed to be 60-70s next week. still thawing out some ice around- our parking lot at work is still pretty slippery. I am so ready for no more ice or snow! No way could i love any further north than north texas! you guys that brave it all winter are champs!
I just looked it up and I guess there isn't a central area for measuring. I could have sworn there was but I guess not. They had it at the park I worked at and the park that we live by now but not at WDW. Someone posted and said they tried it once but wrist bands were getting transfered so I guess other people ruined it

I probably would have gotten the CMs name and said something at GR. That would have been passed along to his manager. I'm sure the people who pull the 'HE WAS JUST ON 5 MINS AGO', don't put up a fight with a manager bc they know their child is not tall enough (and didn't just ride 5 mins ago!)

In your case, I wish they had some sort of measuring system. At the park by our house, you have to have the wrist band and a stamp as a height check. The stamps seem pretty solid and if it would come off, you could always restamp it but the ones they give you when you leave the park/come back are pretty strong and take a few days to rub off!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #155
exwdwcm

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY DIS FRIENDS!!!

hope you get lots of chocolate, wine, flowers, hugs and kisses today!

We took my parents out to dinner for their 41st anniversary at a really nice steakhouse in Dallas called Nick & Sam's. Food was good as usual, but service was beyond lacking to say the least. We got some free champagne though after complaining to two different managers. It was pretty unacceptable service. I guess I have to remember it's not disney, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *tinker*bell* View Post
sucks that your TR is almost over your last full day was pretty eventful but looked like fun!

I shall tag along (probably mostly lurk like usual ) over at your PTR in a bit!
I know, such a bummer isn't it?

yeah for joining my PTR- thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellLuvr7 View Post
I just looked it up and I guess there isn't a central area for measuring. I could have sworn there was but I guess not. They had it at the park I worked at and the park that we live by now but not at WDW. Someone posted and said they tried it once but wrist bands were getting transfered so I guess other people ruined it

I probably would have gotten the CMs name and said something at GR. That would have been passed along to his manager. I'm sure the people who pull the 'HE WAS JUST ON 5 MINS AGO', don't put up a fight with a manager bc they know their child is not tall enough (and didn't just ride 5 mins ago!)

In your case, I wish they had some sort of measuring system. At the park by our house, you have to have the wrist band and a stamp as a height check. The stamps seem pretty solid and if it would come off, you could always restamp it but the ones they give you when you leave the park/come back are pretty strong and take a few days to rub off!
yeah, i totally understand why they do the second measurement and all- i know how people try and beat the system. but in our case, he was measuring up to the top, so not sure why the CM was saying he wasn't. i even had him standing up straight and he was fine. oh well. like you said, i should have gotten his name and told GR, just so they know. they can't fix the problem when we don't tell them about it. I am not a very good 'complainer' though. i rarely send back food etc. I've gotten better about speaking my mind.

84, 86-FTW, 93-FTW, 97, 98-OFFSITE, 00-POR, 03, 04, 05-GAYLORD, 04-POFQ, 05-POR, 06-CBR, 07-AKL, May 09-DIS Podcast Cruise, DEC 09-DAP/WL, Sept 10-DL, DEC 10 BLT, FEB 10 JOINED DVC! AUG 11 DLH, OCT 11 BLT, NOV 2012 BLT
Old 02-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #156
stephielela
DIS Veteran

I am finally caught up! I have been really bad lately, but my goal is to have my TR finished in the next week... but realistically by March. I noticed that the height measurements didn't seem consistent. Sometimes Jack looked like he was really close, other times he looked really short! Wierd. He'd better measure to 40 in September! (otherwise he's be shrinking!) I agree, the last full day is a bit of a let down.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #157
exwdwcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephielela View Post
I am finally caught up! I have been really bad lately, but my goal is to have my TR finished in the next week... but realistically by March. I noticed that the height measurements didn't seem consistent. Sometimes Jack looked like he was really close, other times he looked really short! Wierd. He'd better measure to 40 in September! (otherwise he's be shrinking!) I agree, the last full day is a bit of a let down.
well and I know CMs struggle with it too- it's hard to get a 3/4yo to stand up straight and they don't always realize it is the difference between riding or not. hopefully he will be a solid 40 by September! just try him in all shoes too- i noticed Will seemed shorter in his crocs vs his tennis shoes. Of course since it was freezing, he didn't wear flip flops or sandals.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #158
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwdwcm View Post
well and I know CMs struggle with it too- it's hard to get a 3/4yo to stand up straight and they don't always realize it is the difference between riding or not. hopefully he will be a solid 40 by September! just try him in all shoes too- i noticed Will seemed shorter in his crocs vs his tennis shoes. Of course since it was freezing, he didn't wear flip flops or sandals.
I will keep that in mind when buying sandals this spring. For tennis shoes he wears Converse, and I know those don't help at all. I am going to start coaching him about standing tall before the trip! I was originally thinking BTMRR would be too much for Jack, but maybe not... it would be fun for him to be able to ride a "grown up" roller coaster!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:06 PM   #159
exwdwcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephielela View Post
I will keep that in mind when buying sandals this spring. For tennis shoes he wears Converse, and I know those don't help at all. I am going to start coaching him about standing tall before the trip! I was originally thinking BTMRR would be too much for Jack, but maybe not... it would be fun for him to be able to ride a "grown up" roller coaster!
Will's first ride on BTMRR was at night too- and he managed okay. the second time was during the day and he seemed to enjoy that more. He might just love it!

Old 02-17-2011, 10:10 AM   #160
exwdwcm

Saturday, December 11th

Our LAST DAY!!! Boo hoo again.

Typically we don’t book our trips where we have almost a half day or ľ day before catching our flight. We either book a very early flight or late morning flight, so on our departure day, we typically have no time for anything, other than leaving! We usually do the early flight, since we typically leave on a Sunday and we all want to have time to unpack, do laundry and relax before heading back to work Monday.

But this time, since we were flying home on a Saturday, instead of a Sunday, I decided to book a later flight- 6:30pm. So we really had until about 3:30-4pm to play that day. It was a first for me since we don’t usually do it that way.

I had booked Chef Mickey’s breakfast for us at 10:05am. So we were in no rush to get up this am, we slept in a bit, but of course, that meant I was up by 8 with Will anyhow. Almost everyone else was up by 8 too, doing the final packing. We tried to cram what food/drinks we could take with us into our carry ons or the stroller to use that day. We still had some juice boxes, a few cokes (water all gone!), some applesauce and crackers etc. We ended up leaving some food behind, but not too much at least.

We enjoyed a leisurely morning, but it was darkened by the knowledge we would be leaving. We did the final check of our room to make sure we didn’t leave anything behind. Then we attempted to take all of our bags downstairs ourselves. Big mistake, but I wasn’t sure how long baggage services would take on a Saturday. Good thing I didn’t call either……….because we waited for an elevator down for about 15 minutes. At least 4 elevators opened, but all were full with people checking in or checking out. It was insane. I had never seen the hotel this busy. I am not sure how we managed all our bags, but we somehow got them all in the elevator finally. We were checking 5 bags. Alan and I were only checking 2, but MIL was checking 3. We still had all our carry ons and stroller/car seat upstairs to grab, this was only our first load!

We went down to use the baggage services and get our boarding pass and check our checked bags. There was a line, just what I feared. It was getting close to our ADR time, but we managed okay in the end. The line moved fairly quickly but I was amazed at how these CMs kept it all organized. There were just bags stacked everywhere, I had no clue how they could possibly keep track. But I guess they did, because our bags made it home just fine. I had called and paid the checked bag fees by phone like they tell you, it was super easy to do. We got our boarding passes and were ready to go. It probably took us about 20 minutes to do it all. The place was a madhouse though. I even peeked in the lobby and it was crazy in there too- tons of people sitting in the lobby waiting on rooms I guess or waiting to check out.

So everyone heads back to the room while I go get the car and move it to a closer parking space, so it is easier to load up our carry on items in the car. We all grab the last of our stuff and say good bye to our home for a week. We will miss you BLT!!!

I even take a pic of the DVC sign- I mean I just had to!

Then we load up the car- much easier leaving, since we don’t have all the checked bags to try and cram in. We put everything in and then head back inside, to the CR and up the escalator to Chef Mickey’s.

We check in, right on time. We are given a buzzer and sit and wait about 10 minutes.

Finally we are called back- we bypass the little picture since we know we won’t buy it. We are seated to the left, table on the outside, pretty close to the buffet. It was a good spot. Last year for dinner, we were seated in the very back room by the window and it was awful!

So happy with our spots, we start grabbing some food, since the characters won’t make it over to us just yet. The buffet is okay, they have part of it in the middle closed off since someone spilled a bunch of stuff on the floor. It is your typical breakfast buffet, but I have to say, I still feel CP is better quality and better selection. Lindsey got the waffles as usual. I got some eggs, potatoes, bacon, fruit and more. Will enjoyed a waffle too! Our last mickey waffle!

We had a great time with characters at this meal. We saw Goofy, Mickey (twice), Minnie, Donald (twice)

Funny enough, we saw a hidden mickey swirling in Lindsey’s chocolate milk!

Overall breakfast was good, not as good as CP, but good.
The character interaction was the biggest hit and that’s why we went there, not for the food. William had a great time and was wearing his Mickey hat we got last year on his first trip.

So after breakfast, we had no real plan, other than
a park, but which one? Lindsey was asking for HS, but I think it was maybe EMH or something and I had sort of nixed that and AK as options. I said let’s go to Epcot or MK. She voted Epcot. So we did. Of course by the time we arrive, it is like almost noon. We have to leave for the airport by about 3 or 3:30pm, so we have a few hours to kill and no ‘home’ anymore since we are checked out.

So we get into Epcot

And it is crazy busy here.
We look around a bit and need, yep, another potty break. So MIL and Lindsey go into the potty and we wait outside a little ways from the bathroom area. We keep watching and never see them come out. Finally, it is going on 15 minutes. Alan says, let’s just go on TT or get a FP for it, since the line said 30 minutes now. I say, no, just wait, surely they will be out soon. I know MIL has some stomach issues sometimes, especially after eating, so didn’t know if they were just taking longer and didn’t want to rush her. So after 20 minutes, we give up and just go to TT. By now, the line says 45 minutes. But everything is super busy (we checked the board when we came in). So we say, well, we only have a few hours, might as well. So for one of the very rare times in my life, we get in a line more than 20-30 minutes. We almost NEVER will wait for anything more than 30 minutes, typically not more than 20. So this was new to us. We waited and waited and then his mom finally calls, they are way ahead of us in line. Somehow we totally missed them coming out of the bathroom. Who knew? They had just gotten in line, figuring we had already gone. So now we are way behind them in line, I can’t even see them.

We wait and wait and wait………this is NOT 45 minutes. We wait well over an hour. I am fuming. Will is a mess, so tired and not doing well waiting in line for an hour. I keep holding him, but he is heavy! There are two ladies with 4 kids in front of us. I think it was a mom and her adult daughter with like 2 young girls and boys- they were probably anywhere from 8-13yo. They are behaving pretty well.

Then, the mom breaks out a back of pistachios and they start eating them. But they don’t keep the shells, they throw them on the floor like we are in some backwoods bar with peanut shells on the floor. They absolutely had no respect for the world. I was getting mad, since it was making a mess and we were having to step over it or in it, further cracking shells and making more of a mess. I kept giving them looks, but I am not the aggressive type that likes confrontation. DH likes to pretend he is, but when it comes down to it, he won’t confront either, unless it is something really big. I kept trying to slowly shuffle the shells over to the sides at least with my feet, making it clear this was not acceptable and trying to clear a path for those behind me.

Well the people behind us………they had NO problem with confrontation. They were from the NE, from what I could tell of their accent, sounded almost like a Boston accent, but I couldn’t be sure- you never can know or judge a book by its cover. But it was two families with kids – probably 8 or so of them all together. The one dad speaks up and says how rude that is that they are throwing their trash on the floor. Then he calls the lady out and says something to the effect of “hey, where I come from, throwing your trash on the ground is not cool and not acceptable.”……………..she just looks at him and smirks. And then she starts whispering to her mom and they give him the evil eye and keep talking about him, all the while, still throwing the shells on the ground. I could see their kids looking too- they knew mom/grandma had been called out. They didn’t seem to know what to do. Mom didn’t instruct the kids to stop throwing trash on the ground, but I noticed they didn’t do it as much, but still did it, as did the mom and grandma. The man kept talking to them and about them and how disrespectful that was in a public place like this, but a place that works so hard to be clean.

I couldn’t help but smile, if I don’t have the cajones to speak up, I am glad someone else did.

By this time, we were finally nearing the front, where they put you into the area just before the preshow. We finally get in and it has been at least an hour and 15 minutes. I am so mad. This totally ruined the last day for me- waiting in such a long line. We never do that.

We are the first in the preshow and head towards the door, so we are the first out. Soon enough we are riding our car and Will enjoys it more in the daylight. (and yes, he was measured and tall enough!)

So after our TT ride, we find MIL and Lindsey finally. We decide to do Mission Space, since it shows like a 10 minute wait for both sides. I sit out with Will while they ride the less intense version. I am a fan of the more intense- I don’t get motion sickness or anything (although mom and sisters did after riding it last time!). Alan can’t do the motion thing either, so less intense is all they do. I wait outside with Will and we grab a pretzel and drink and just people watch. Today is finally a nice day- I don’t have to wear my coat for once! In fact, I can almost take off my hoodie. Go figure, our last day and finally the freezing temps go away.

Finally they are done and by now, it is almost 2:30. We go check spaceship earth, but it has a super long line too (and no way will I wait more than 10 minutes for it, since you can usually walk on certain times of the day). So we just go check out the Art of Disney store and look around to kill some time. Then we decide at 3pm to just head out. It was just too crowded for us to really enjoy ourselves and since we arrived so late, we didn’t have FP or anything. This is why I hate getting there late, I love arriving at RD or right after. I feel like we get so much more done that early. Those early hours are precious to me and it is just not our touring style to sleep in and roll into the parks at 11am. But I guess it works for some.

So we take a good look around and we say good bye.

We get a cute pic of Lindsey holding SE!

So we head back out to the car, since we had driven over to Epcot today. We load in and head to the airport. Will falls asleep! He is leaning over, and so tired. So cute! And then it happens, our one and only potty accident of the trip…..Will must have peed his pants in his sleep in his booster seat. He had been good the whole trip, especially considering he had only gone pee pee for the first time in the potty Nov 20th and this was only a few weeks into going potty. He had made the whole week, going long hours each day without an accident! Of course it meant we stopped early and often for the potty (hence the title), but he waited until the last few hours of the trip to have an accident. Go Will! We make it to the airport no problem and return the rental car. I love that National moved to the first floor now. We unload and get into the terminal. This time we are only carrying our carry ons, but we have two for each person, since we have all the items we purchased in the parks! At least we aren’t having to deal with our checked bags though. Can I say again how much I love the resort airline check in? So we have boarding passes in hand, bags checked already. This perk for on site guests saves so much time. I checked out the line for boarding passes for AA and it was super long too. So glad we didn’t have to do that. There were even lines for the self service machines (which we usually use).

So we get in and head straight to the bathroom so I can change Will’s underwear and pants. Thankfully I always have an extra outfit on hand in the backpack. We get him changed and head into security. The line really isn’t too long either. I’d say maybe 8 deep. Which for MCO standards on a Saturday, is pretty good. We unload all our crap, fold up the stroller, unload the laptop etc. I am pretty good at getting through security, since I’ve done it a lot for business travel in the past 10 years, but travelling with a toddler makes it a whole different story and it can be a little stressful. I finally get shoes back on, holding Will’s hand, get the stroller back open, get the laptop stuffed back in the bag etc. We finally make it out of security and to the gate. We are flying American- the flight leaves at 6:20pm and we get home at 8:30pm.

We find a nice spot to sit down and unload and then we all go a few at a time to get something to eat for dinner or a snack. Alan and I take Will to burger king and get a few burgers, fries and cokes. Of course we stop for the potty again. We sit and eat our food near the gate. We only have to wait about 30-45 minutes before we start boarding. I really hate this part of the trip, you are so sad, going home and then you see all the people that are just arriving, full of hope and anticipation for what awaits them in Orlando. I love being that person when it’s my turn, but I hate watching when I am leaving. So we do a little people watching and then board.

Now this is Will’s third flight. I flew with him by myself when he was 4 months old to go to South Carolina as my grandpa was on his death bed. We had lost my grandmother years earlier. Because fertility treatments can be so expensive and most insurance does not cover in vitro, my grandpa kindly gave us over $10k to use in order to do it. Mind you, he probably didn’t even really know what it was, he was pretty old school, lived in the country etc. and wasn’t a big fan of technology, so growing a embryo in a petri dish wasn’t something I talked to him at length about, but he knew what we were using it for. It was so kind of him. And thankfully for us, it worked and we had our little William because of him. We named William after my grandma in honor of him- his middle name is Reed, which was my grandmother’s middle name and is my dad’s middle name. So my grandpa had a huge role in William coming to be and I just had to get out there and let him meet William before he passed. He had been ill for about a month or two and it had come on suddenly.

I flew out by myself and William was an angel, of course in his car carrier the whole time (there were plenty of extra seats) and I held him most of the time. He was an angel. We arrived, headed straight for the hospital and saw my grandpa. He was in a lot of pain, but so happy to finally meet William. An hour later, he was non responsive, still breathing, but not responsive at all- not talking, not making eye contact etc. He passed away that evening, just hours after we arrived- we all held hands surrounding his bed as he passed with little William in his stroller sleeping off to the side. It was sad, but a lovely way to go, surrounded by family and friends. I know, so OFF topic, but I had to share that sweet story.

So that was William’s first flight and he was perfect- even passengers on the plane commented how good he was, never cried.

Our second flight was last December with the entire family of 14, so family sat in front of us, so kicking the seat wasn’t an issue- it was just grandma’s seat. Lol. But he was pretty good on this flight too.

But this third flight……….NIGHTMARE! He was fairly good on the way in, but the ride home was tortuous. He was overtired and I guess his ears were hurting him and I didn’t have any children’s Tylenol and had not given him anything else. I tried having him drink and eat, but no luck. I had my phone with games on it that he usually loves, no go. Coloring books, no go. Toys, no go. The kid was not happy. He kept trying to kick the seat, we had to hold his feet down. He just started wailing. And this is from a toddler that doesn’t really cry that often. He was screaming. I was so embarrassed, but what can you do? I mean, I am trying every method I know to man, entertaining him, feeding him, taking him to the bathroom for a time out. Nothing was working. I kept getting very ugly looks from a man about 2 rows up on the other side of the plane. Obviously on business, in a suit. I just shot him a glare back. I mean, really dude, you think I want the kid screaming in my ear? I am doing everything I can to stop him. He even got a little spanking from Alan to no avail. The man continued to glare, I continued to glare back. I’ve been in shoes, on a business flight with a screaming, annoying kid. But I’ve always felt bad for the parents, even before I was a parent. In most cases they are doing everything they can (only in one instance did I see a woman who did absolutely nothing to try and console or entertain the child). So I get what he was feeling, but let it go dude. Nothing I can do about it, other than what I have tried.

The flight was awful. I was trying to get Will to be quiet the whole time it felt like. I think it was a good 45 minutes where he acted up like that. He finally calmed down a bit, but never slept. The flight was a LONG 2.5 hours. We finally touch down at DFW airport and wait for our bags. We hired a town car service to take us home, so he met us at baggage claim (so fun to see someone holding the sign “Peters”!). We got all of our bags, out to the SUV and somehow managed to fit it all.

And now the short 20 minute drive home. We get home probably about 9:45pm or so. We all then crash- we are BEAT!!! The next morning, we sleep in some and then have some breakfast. My MIL and Lindsey pack up everything and head out- they have about a 2.5 hour drive north to where they live in Oklahoma (Wynnewood and Tishamingo). We help her load up, give big hugs, knowing we will see them at Christmas time- only about 2 weeks away!

Although I usually love staying at WDW as long as humanly possible, I was thankful we came home Saturday night, instead of Sunday. I had all day Sunday to do laundry, put away our new toys and even wrapped some of the Christmas gifts I bought at Disney. It was nice to catch up on that stuff and relax a little before heading back to work on Monday. This was the first time we booked a trip this way, we usually come home on Sunday and then only have a few hours to relax before back to work, or I just take Monday off, which in this case, I had no extra time off to spare.

So after saying good bye to MIL and Lindsey, we cleaned up, relaxed and enjoyed our Sunday. What was even nicer is that we only had to go to work the week of the 13th, then just 2 days the following week and I was off a few days for Christmas!

So we had made it home safe and sound…………….and SAD. The good news is, this was the first trip where I didn’t have to fight the Disney depression. In the past, we only would go to WDW every 2-3 years max. So I always come home really bummed and I even sort of ignore all things Disney, including the boards for a while, because I would be so sad about not going back soon.

But I’ve been so blessed these last 2 years. I was able to do the May 2009 podcast cruise with my parents and cousin, great fun. Then just 6 months later, we did our big family trip for 10 nights at WL with my parents, sisters, their spouses and kids and my cousin and an aunt. So I had two trips that year, a first for me! Then in 2010, I did a girls only trip to Disneyland with my 2 sisters, cousin and Mom in September for my birthday. And then 3 months later, this trip. So again, 2 trips in a year. I was so lucky and blessed. I haven’t had to fight the Disney depression for a while. Plus, now that we bought DVC (February 2010), I know we have many more trips to come and I can come home and start planning the next trip! It is so nice to know there isn’t a true end to it all!

So that’s our trip folks. I’ll do another post to wrap up the highlights, my favorite things, things I was sad we missed and a few pics of other things we bought (I do love to shop!). Thanks for reading a long and stay tuned for the wrap up!

Old 02-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #161
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Thank you for sharing your trip, it's been really nice to read

Emma x
Old 02-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #162
DisneyRed95
Earning My Ears

The last day is always the hardest!

That wait for TT sounded brutal! I'm with you, I hate waiting for a ride longer than 20 minutes. And how rude of those guests throwing shells on the floor!? As former CMs I think we take it personally because we know how much work is put into putting on the show day in and day out. I'm glad the guys behind you spoke up to that family. (I would have avoided the confrontation too, so that's good those guys helped you out. )

What a sweet story about your grandfather! I'm so glad he got to meet Will. Thanks for sharing.

It sounds like a great trip. I'm excited to read your final recap.

6/86-Poly, 6/88-CR/Poly, 6/90-GF, 12/92-GF, 12/94-GF, 6/95-WL, 8/96-GF, 6/97-GF, 7/98-WL, 3/00-POR, 6/00-CR,
Summer 00-WDW CP, 6/01-AKL, Summer/Fall 01-WDW CP, 10/01-POFQ, 1/02-ASMov, 6/02-AKL, 6/04-Poly, 6/05-Poly,
4/06-Pop, 12/06-Pop, 6/07-CBR, 5/08-CBR, 9/09-BWI (Honeymoon), 6/10-AKL, 10/10-SSR, 5/11-WL, 11/11-CSR,
5/12-AKV, 7/12-GCH/DLH, 10/12-BC, 11/12-Dream, 9/13-YC, 10/13-BWI
Old 02-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #163
kathymc
Dances in the kitchen
TR connosseur
Misses puppy breath

Enjoyed reading your report as I too was witness to the deep freeze of 2011 (Dec 4-13) and was at the MK that same chilly Monday night. We were at Beach Club and they closed the pool but we finally got in on Saturday. Thanks for sharing.
May 5-12, 2007 POP + OKW Sept 27-Oct 5, 2008 Contemporary December 4-13, 2010 - BCV
March 14-17, 2013 SSPINGS December 7-15, 2013 - BCV Next Trip - Aulani December 10-12, 2014
Old 02-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #164
exwdwcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybarbie View Post
Thank you for sharing your trip, it's been really nice to read

Emma x
thank you Emma!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRed95 View Post
The last day is always the hardest!

That wait for TT sounded brutal! I'm with you, I hate waiting for a ride longer than 20 minutes. And how rude of those guests throwing shells on the floor!? As former CMs I think we take it personally because we know how much work is put into putting on the show day in and day out. I'm glad the guys behind you spoke up to that family. (I would have avoided the confrontation too, so that's good those guys helped you out. )

What a sweet story about your grandfather! I'm so glad he got to meet Will. Thanks for sharing.

It sounds like a great trip. I'm excited to read your final recap.
yeah, we refuse to wait longer than 20 minutes usually, but we made an exception this time and boy was it a bad idea! thanks for reading along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymc View Post
Enjoyed reading your report as I too was witness to the deep freeze of 2011 (Dec 4-13) and was at the MK that same chilly Monday night. We were at Beach Club and they closed the pool but we finally got in on Saturday. Thanks for sharing.
i know, crazy, wasn't it? I couldn't believe it. I heard they closed the pool and even closed Kali RR at AK too.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #165
exwdwcm

Okay, I've been a severe slacker, with the best intentions. I've had my final wrap up written for a while, but wanted to post all my shopping pics first and it's been insanely busy at work. I try and only post while at work, since i try and focus my time at home on playing with Will and catching up on housework. But work has been so busy, i haven't had time to play on the DIS. In fact today, i have already had 4 meetings and i have a 4 hour training I have to give this afternoon. So this is my quick break as I eat leftovers at my desk.

I finally got pics of some of our purchases from the trip! I do love to shop. Alan gets annoyed since he doesn't care for it and this trip, i think i will send him and Will off to go play or ride something while i spend more time in stores, that way they aren't waiting on me and i don't feel rushed. I really wanted to spend more time in mousegears this trip and i felt rushed.

so here are some of our fabulous purchases. Since I had just done a long weekend at disneyland with the girls in September, i didn't need a lot. We shopped til our heart's content since it was just the girls on that trip (in fact day one, we commented how we had not ridden a ride yet and it was like 3pm). LOL Anyhow- but of course I had to buy some Christmas gifts etc.

So here is what we got!

here is the adorable green bag that you could get with purchase- i think it was $11.95 and i forget the spending amount you had to spend.

this is the sweatshirt i bought- i really wanted a hoodie, but i am picky, i don't want anything overtly disney character like- i want something with WDW on it, preferably embroidered and just not screaming disney. i finally found this men's zip up fleece that i liked in a small. it has a cute WDW symbol on the back, but it is sort of built into the fabric where you can't see it unless close up- again, it doesn't scream disney, (i have plenty that do already). i really love it- a great purchase! it was pricey, i think $55. , but i saved 20%.

i had bought a black and white hidden mickey scarf at DL, but i also saw this one at WDW that i loved. i have worn it to work several times already. again, it isn't obvious it is 'disney' until you look closely.

I love baseball hats. I had this khaki one at home already, but it was on its last leg and pretty filthy. so i got a new one. I also found a DVC hat! yeah----i couldn't find much DVC merchandise at BLT- disappointing, at least nothing i really wanted- they had the window vinyl, which i got and is on my car now (DVC Member) and they had the rain jacket and some shot glasses and coffee mug, but no cute shirts. On our last day, i had Alan drive up the Boardwalk before we headed to the airport. He just park sort of up by Valet off to the side while i ran in by myself. I had heard the BW had a good selection of DVC stuff. I found the store and score- they had the pink shirt i wanted (fitted shirt) and the hat, plus duffel bags, backpacks and a lot more. I just got the hat and shirt. Plus they had all their 2010 stuff on sale, so i got Lindsey a photo album and frame and Will a t-shirt and also some pens. I will be going back here to check out their DVC stuff from now on.

this is the adorable sweat suit i got William in MK- at a cart near Buzz. I never saw this outfit anywhere else in the parks. I had bought him a navy/red one last year that i loved, it was embroidered with WDW, but it was a 2t and he quickly outgrew it. So i found this and bought it. It is a 3t, and he is already outgrown the jacket (too short on his arms). I now see they are selling it online at the disney store on sale too- but i think it is the disneyland version. I think it was like $35-$40 for the set. I just love the design on the back of the jacket.

It's funny, after the trip, someone asked what we got William and I had to think about it- we didn't really get him anything big this trip. We got the sweat suit and a few t-shirts, but not any big toys. Last year we got him the train set. He liked the monorail set, but we didn't get it, we might get it this year. The one toy we did get him was at AK, at Rafiki's planet watch, out by the petting zoo. It was so cold and so we let him pick out a pillow pal, it is really a blanket pal, it has a blanket inside. He picked the giraffe. it was pricey, like $34. But he was able to use the blanket the rest of the trip and really likes his giraffe, he named him zoobi giraffe (said something similar on the tag).

here are 2 of the shirts I got him. We got him a third shirt that says WDW on it, but i didn't get a pic. The black rocker mickey shirt i found at the local Walmart in Orlando when we stopped there for like $5! The other shirt is the 2010 one that was on clearance at the BW, under $10 i think.

here is the great casserole dish i got at World of Disney! This i think was like $20.

here are some of the ornaments- the 2010 were on clearance, some as low as $2.99!

a DIS lime green phone cover- i don't really use it, it is hard to fit my iphone in it with the cover i have on it currently.

and the ToT stuff i got for my cousin.

we also got a ton of other stuff. I bought myself the little prepackaged hat/t-shirt set- it is white and pink- love it! Very comfy, soft t-shirt and cute ball cap. I got a ton more ornaments too. Plus we got a ton of little things as gifts- pens, pins, small toys, candy etc. We had quite the haul, but not as bad as last year (when we had to take the train out of the box and try and fit different train pieces into our carry ons! lol).

It was a good shopping trip!

Last edited by exwdwcm; 02-22-2011 at 01:45 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: