Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #46
DVCDan36
Mouseketeer

Ok, did some food shopping and this is the menu, so far:

Chinese Chicken Wings
Dill Shrimp
Meat and Cheese Platter
Cheese balls
Cocktail Weiners
Meatballs
Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake
Holiday Cakes
Holiday Punch
Wine
Beer
May have to make a few other things too.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:02 PM   #47
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyb View Post
Don't you think that's what the holidays are -
a mix of happy and sad - reflective, introspective mixed with hope, joy and revelry.

Think of christmas carols - they are a mix of all emotions.
I quite agree. I have felt a mix of emotions since the very beginning of this topic. While I have enjoyed reading it, I also feel a fair amount of envy for the good hosts here. I wish that I was one of them. There is a skill to that with which I have not been blessed.

We shall spend Christmas Day watching the Disney parade and going to the Contemporary Jewish Museum, which we have not yet been to. We have no family nearby so it will be just the two of us, but that is not necessarily a bad thing considering that big family gatherings can sometimes bring out the worst in people.
SanFranciscan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-26-2010, 01:34 AM   #48
chwgmjay
I think your giraffe is being towed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chwgmjay View Post
Apparently we're having fried chicken this year? For the first time... I'm sure there will be potatoes and gravy, green beans, dinner rolls, cranberries, and some form of dessert as well.
I work overnights... the family decided to eat without me since I had to sleep... they didn't save anything for me. I ended up ordering a pizza. Blah.
chwgmjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #49
rpmdfw
I feel similarly about the cha-cha, electric slide, and mambo #5
Bridezilla, Groomzilla and Gayzilla all rolled into one

Quote:
I work overnights... the family decided to eat without me since I had to sleep... they didn't save anything for me. I ended up ordering a pizza. Blah.
How rude!

And nothing leftover? That's a holiday crime!
rpmdfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #50
C&G'sMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's not right. We could all FEDex you some left overs.

"Those who dance are thought mad by those who hear not the music." - Unknown
C&G'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #51
TagsMissy
Counting down the days... It's not always easy being the wife of a soldier.

For us Christmas meal depends on which family is hosting (parents vs one of my siblings).... but always always always our meal starts with a little Italian flare of homemade turkey cappelletti soup, homemade lasagna, then onto the more traditional turkey, homemade cranberry sauce ((mom would never forgive us if we didn't make homemade lol)) and some sort of potato (mashed or roasted). if it's one of my siblings they make some sort of veg and the meal ends there other than desserts.

On the other hand when my parents cook the table is full of food; enough food for us and the neighborhood. My parent's house at Christmas is always known as the house where extended family and friends show up throughout the day for food. LOL
79-95 Numerous Disneyland Trips/98 POFQ /08 POR/09 POR, SSR/AKV Kidani & BLT/11 BWV & BLT/12 Aulani & Disneyland Club 33/13 DL Club 33/Wonder & BLT/BWV/14 AKV Jambo/VWL & DL Friend's Wedding Celebration & perhaps some 33 lovin' /15 DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean & BLT/GFV

TagsMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #52
TagsMissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heva2015 View Post
Erm...its just the day after Christmas day...26th December...the name comes from that day being when all the charity boxes in churches are traditionally emptied. Its a public holiday so if it falls on a sunday, like this year, we get another one on the Monday.
It's a Commonwealth thing Mike...

It's also the day -- back in the day the wealthy would 'Box up' stuff they didn't want and pass it onto the poor.
79-95 Numerous Disneyland Trips/98 POFQ /08 POR/09 POR, SSR/AKV Kidani & BLT/11 BWV & BLT/12 Aulani & Disneyland Club 33/13 DL Club 33/Wonder & BLT/BWV/14 AKV Jambo/VWL & DL Friend's Wedding Celebration & perhaps some 33 lovin' /15 DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean & BLT/GFV

Old 12-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #53
TagsMissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmdfw View Post
It's a family tradition and I've never had Christmas without it. It's backbreaking to make it, and I'm not nearly the baker my mom was. I had a rough time with it this year and was frustrated by not being able to call her and ask questions. When half of the batch didn't rise properly, I literally sat down and cried. I'm really glad that the other half of the batch turned out okay, so we'll have it for Christmas. I'm afraid I'd have kept trying over and over until I got it right. I'm holding tight to a lot of Christmas traditions this year just for the sake of doing them. Hoping that they'll comfort me so that this year won't be as hard as I think it will be. I hope it works and I'm not just going through the motions . . .
Yes it's hard to keep up those traditions. There's numerous dishes we used to have at Christmas from my hubby's side that there's no way I can reproduce as there was no real recipe book and if there is they are in Portuguese or so convoluted I'd be lost. I know I can find recipes out there and make feijoada, bacalhau or baccala to me in Italian but I save that for my parents as I can't stand it lol or empanadas but they simply won't be his mom's.

My family does the best to really pull my hubby into our traditions as much as possible so he as as much family comfort as possible. This Christmas was the second Christmas without hubby's mom and my grandmother who passed a week apart so it was definitely easier than last year.

I am glad one batch turned out

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: