Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #16
zeitzeuge
DallasDisneyDork
Some people NEED to be bitten
Had a little accident in my pants when I found out I was going to Club 33!

Our family has always done something very low key for Christmas Eve. On that night we all have homemade chili and cornbread and sandwiches. It's also the night we open gifts. Christmas Day, we have the traditional dinner of Turkey and ham, but if the men in my family were successful at hunting (rolls eyes), we'll have deer, pheasant and possibly wild turkey as well. Which I avoid.....
zeitzeuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:10 AM   #17
Gypsybear
It's all about the Villains

Probaby just a sandwich and a nice nap......DP always goes home to his family for the holidays (yes, he's still in the proverbial closet), and I stay here...so no need for a big spread/meal.
Gypsybear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #18
akcire
Mouse expert, computer challenged
I am flushing myself to Disney

We will go out to dinner on Christmas Eve--you will see why in a moment.

We do an open house for Christmas, menu depends on the tally I get this week (normally around 50-75). We have a boneless turkey breast or 2, a Honey Baked Ham, a standing rib roast (prime rib), and a crown pork roast. Then there are the smaller main dishes shrimp, real swedish meatballs, crab, a vegetarian hot pasta dish---no more fake turkey's. Also sometimes some grilled items. Two giant vats of soup--vegetarian friendly french onion & chicken noodle. Another half dozen side items. Also a full banquet table of desserts (I just made those this weekend). Since it is cold here, all our non-alcoholic drinks are stored outside. Imagine a walkway of soda and juice containers, packed in snow. Milk for the kiddo's is kept in the refrigerator (just in case). A full bar is run out of our home office, with alternating people manning the ice bucket; no signature drinks are served just a good selection to keep everyone happy.

We literally invite everyone, and they are only required to RSVP--and if they own them or can borrow them bring a folding chair. This never stops people from making a dish---which is often funny. I guarantee we will have a bunch of single guys buy chips & dip. We always have the strangest mix of people, co-workers, neighbors, old friends, crazy Swedes. [This is something I have done since college. I literally had Thanksgiving in my dorm room one year for 20 (I had a small kitchenette).] I turn the dining room into a buffet with 4 large tables, and everyone eats in the living room (if they can't do stairs) or the basement. I have tons of folding tables. We only have one house rule, unless you are a doctor on call (and we normally have a few) or on-duty deputy you must check your electronic devises at the door or leave them in your car.

Before you are all impressed. I have a huge extended family at home in Sweden, so meals of this size are common (mine is probably on the smallish side). My mother used to teach at Le Cordon Bleu, and also worked running a large hotel food program, ironically I hate to cook. I know how, I learned by osmosis; I just don't like doing it. This is my once a year meal extravaganza. I get invitations to others houses all year long, and this is my repayment.

Best reason to cook this meal--the people that show up and how they interact. For example: last year old Irish Catholic priest sitting next to 8 month pregnant lesbian neighbor (who already has 3 other kids) and her partner, debating the merits of the church, the stance on sexuality, and the role of women. Then we had a good debate downstairs between an Israeli, a Kuwaiti, and a couple of Palestinians. My husband's best friend, an observant Jew, eating his weight in pork products--he claims special dispensation due to the christian holiday. Abdul, a muslim sheriff's deputy, who shows up dressed like Santa; he is on his meal break (and takes a bunch of food to go). Most of the on-duty deputies stop by to eat--since everything easy is closed on Christmas. My polish speaking father-in-law (70's) hitting on a 20 year old polish girl. Everyone gets along, so it is good times.

I house sit for one neighbor, who drives to WI every year; and in turn use their oven to cook a meat--usually the turkey. My Greek neighbors came over uninvited one year, because they saw all the people and police cars--it was fine with us. Now they come every year and bring their family--so there are 9 of them with grandkids. It works out well, because it gives me an extra oven (they live directly across the street). Depending on their health, they also make a dish or two, sometimes it is as simple as a bowl of nuts or as complex as a hot lamb dish.

Generally people arrive around 1--the hot dinner buffet is open 3-7 ish--and people hang out until 9 or 10, we often have groups playing cards Pinochle & Euchre. Some just come for dessert. Some stay a couple hours and go, we never know. Others show up at 1 and don't ever seem to leave. The heavy drinkers may stay until midnight (but since I have a bunch of friends who belong to a temperance movement we always have someone to drive them home--including one who drives a school bus for her job and has permission to use it if needed). One or two people may prearrange to spend the night, but generally by midnight I am done. I get everything all boxed up and don't have to cook a morsel of food for at least a week.

The only other party-type meal we do is my husband's summer barbeque. It is run pretty much the same way, except it includes a couple of tents, a lot of ice, an obscene amount of encased meat product, and a rented port a potty. All are welcome.
akcire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:27 AM   #19
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!
Crocs are Crack for Feet!
On ‘the list’ so treading carefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybear View Post
Probaby just a sandwich and a nice nap......DP always goes home to his family for the holidays (yes, he's still in the proverbial closet), and I stay here...so no need for a big spread/meal.

Well Boo.
Come up to Maine!
Tons of food and SNOW!
... and me
wallyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #20
C&G'sMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcire View Post
Best reason to cook this meal--the people that show up and how they interact. For example: last year old Irish Catholic priest sitting next to 8 month pregnant lesbian neighbor (who already has 3 other kids) and her partner, debating the merits of the church, the stance on sexuality, and the role of women. Then we had a good debate downstairs between an Israeli, a Kuwaiti, and a couple of Palestinians. My husband's best friend, an observant Jew, eating his weight in pork products--he claims special dispensation due to the christian holiday. Abdul, a muslim sheriff's deputy, who shows up dressed like Santa; he is on his meal break (and takes a bunch of food to go). Most of the on-duty deputies stop by to eat--since everything easy is closed on Christmas. My polish speaking father-in-law (70's) hitting on a 20 year old polish girl. Everyone gets along, so it is good times.
Can I come? While the food sounds wonderful, the people watching sounds even better.

Have a good one.

"Those who dance are thought mad by those who hear not the music." - Unknown
C&G'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #21
jenn&nelsonrego
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP Happiness is marrying someone you can annoy for the rest of your life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starann View Post

I'm pretty much betting I'll gain several pounds these next few weeks.
Isn't that your job right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcire View Post
We will go out to dinner on Christmas Eve--you will see why in a moment.
Wow! That really sounds like a great time!

While I had hoped that I would be able to get people to come to us this year since we have a new baby, it doesn't look like that will happen So we are stuck dragging the around for her first Christmas.

We will start on Christmas Eve with a Candlelight and Carol Service at church at 7:00pm then to my BFF's parents house. After that, we head home... and head upstairs to Moms apartment to see whatever family members are there... Although, thinking about that now... that won't work... Mom is a smoker so doesn't go up there. Maybe they'll all be in my house when we get home (the joy of owning a building with 4 apartments, all family).

Christmas morning will be something new... Lots of pictures in front of the tree, helping open her first gifts... Nelson and I usually make breakfast together but we'll see if wants to cook with us.

Then we'll start negotiating family member's houses. Bopping around to at least 4-5 on Christmas Day alone...

I cannot wait to share my 's first Christmas with her!
Old 12-21-2010, 10:55 AM   #22
Tony-NJ
Ready for Spring!!!
Needs at least 8 hours
Loves weeping willows

Christmas Eve - lots of fish and an antipasto with family & friends.

Antipasto
Shrimp / lobster tails cocktail
Fried Calamari
Shrimp Scampi
Scallops & Shrimp in a wine / garlic / butter sauce over linguini
lots of Champaigne / wine and cocktails.
Lots of deserts.

Christmas Day - I was going to do a Prime Rib - but we all decided on Lasagna - so I will make a huge pot of gravy with my meatballs / sausage / braciole. All good stuff! More wine / cocktails / desert!

I will order a crown roast for NY day!
Tony-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #23
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-NJ View Post
Christmas Eve - lots of fish and an antipasto with family & friends.

Antipasto
Shrimp / lobster tails cocktail
Fried Calamari
Shrimp Scampi
Scallops & Shrimp in a wine / garlic / butter sauce over linguini
lots of Champaigne / wine and cocktails.
Lots of deserts.

Christmas Day - I was going to do a Prime Rib - but we all decided on Lasagna - so I will make a huge pot of gravy with my meatballs / sausage / braciole. All good stuff! More wine / cocktails / desert!

I will order a crown roast for NY day!
Wow - If i can skip the Calamari - I'm in!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #24
OrlandoMike
all I can say is beer hurts when it comes out of your nose!
I don't think we hijacked Halloween, we just do a better job at it!

Mr. Mike, plain ole head

DISboards Moderator

Gravy is for potatoes, not meatballs!
OrlandoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #25
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoMike View Post
Gravy is for potatoes, not meatballs!
I learned it this way -
if it's was simmered with meat in it it's - Gravy
other that that it's Sauce
Old 12-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #26
OrlandoMike

Mr. Mike, plain ole head

DISboards Moderator

And your water comes out of a bubbler too!
Old 12-21-2010, 12:55 PM   #27
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!

Quote:
And your water comes out of a bubbler too!
Not mine - I drink from the toilet!

(Actually I call it a "water cooler")
Old 12-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #28
OrlandoMike

Mr. Mike, plain ole head

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyb View Post
Not mine - I drink from the toilet!
You can always count on Wally to liven up a thread about Christmas Dinner!
Old 12-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #29
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!

Quote:
You can always count on Wally to liven up a thread about Christmas Dinner!
I do what I can to spread ... Joy
Old 12-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #30
VroomVroomLightning
DIS Veteran

Akcire - You're Christmas sounds amazing and so much fun! A lot like what I imagine my Christmas being someday!

For now though on Christmas Eve my partner and I will go to my Aunt's house with the rest of the crew for a night of games and snack foods.

On Christmas morning really really really early We will head over to my brother and sister in law's house to share in the joy of seeing our niece and nephew open their presents. Once all that excitement is done we will help play with all the toys before heading upstairs to my sister in law's familys floor for a wonderful roast beef dinner with all the fixings, like my sweet potato casserole which I accidentally made too much of on Thanksgiving, so we had to freeze the extra!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: