Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
chimo2u
DIS Veteran

Question New Iphone is 1G a good amount of data??

I gave in and bought my DS (18) a new Iphone 4 for Christmas.....is 1G of data a decent amount for a monthly usage total??

I got him the Telus student plan before they ended the promo in Nov. I am hoping that the 1G data pkg will offer him enough data time, as I don't want to be stuck with a huge overage bill!!!

Disney Trips:January 15-23, 2008 - AKL CL Celebrating DH leave from Afghanistan | Sept 1-12, 2009 - Storming the World with Friends, AKL CL Free Dining | August 20-29, 2010 Mom n' Son only trip, First time at Beach Club GV CL/ Universal Studios PBH CL ** POSTPONED ** Mom n' Son Trip is back on FEB 5-10, 2011 BC GV/Club Level with Basic DDP/Universal Studios HRH CL Feb 10/11/12 (DS's surprise** ) Sept 29 -Oct 7 2012 Best Friend Getaway POLY CL/ HRH CL
chimo2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
pigletto
DIS Veteran

That's what I got my dd as well. I am pretty sure it will be. I have the same amount and I don't go anywhere near using that much. (like, not even 1/10th)
Also, the Iphone will pick up Wifi before it uses data so really when he's home (assuming you have Wifi) or in another area with a signal he can use it for free. He'll just have to set it to pick up the network.
pigletto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

It really depends on what you use the phone for. My DH regularly goes over the 1GB amount each month, but he listens to a lot of Internet radio, watches DirectTV Sunday Ticket on his phone and other data hogs. I use less, but I have had a few months when I went over as well. Luckily, we are grandfathered into the unlimited plan, but if we ever have to change, I think we will have to get the higher plan.

I think I read though that if you go over, you can retroactively add the higher plan which could cost less than the overages would.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
pintamino
Mouseketeer

I had my iPhone for around 16 months (just switched to Verizon) -- never went over 1 gb, closest I came was 800 mb. I consider myself a moderate-heavy user -- download music, watch a LOT of youtube, etc.

I think if you start with the low plan and go over, AT&T will let you "backdate" your higher data plan. You can also track your usage online throughout the month. HTH!
Old 12-15-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
princessmom29
DIS Veteran

a teen will more than likely use more than 1G. I teach high school and coach academic teams. Several of my kids have smartphones, and I just got a droid phone. I talked to them before buying, becuase who would know tech better, right? Most of them routinely use 2G or more of data a month. Both kids with iphones have the 8G plan becuase the were continually going over and costing big bucks.
princessmom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
Jeninindy
I broke my ankle and got a concussion playing Miniature golf

1gb will probably not be enough if they are going to stream radio, watch videos and surf the web. If wifi is available all of the time, than it should be ok.

The good thing about overages on data is the cost is not crazy like minutes. For every additional 1gb used, the charge is $10 (at least it is on my son's 2gb plan)...

Jeninindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:08 PM   #7
chimo2u
DIS Veteran

I guess I will have to keep a good eye on his plan!! and have a talk with him about keeping an eye out that he doesn't go over, unfortunately there is not a unlimited data plan....1GB was actually the highest data plan amount in comparison and the student plan was the best/most features plan available. I hope it works out to be enough in the long run! anymore experiences, please feel free to add them, I am still reading/absorbing all your advice
Thanks!

Disney Trips:January 15-23, 2008 - AKL CL Celebrating DH leave from Afghanistan | Sept 1-12, 2009 - Storming the World with Friends, AKL CL Free Dining | August 20-29, 2010 Mom n' Son only trip, First time at Beach Club GV CL/ Universal Studios PBH CL ** POSTPONED ** Mom n' Son Trip is back on FEB 5-10, 2011 BC GV/Club Level with Basic DDP/Universal Studios HRH CL Feb 10/11/12 (DS's surprise** ) Sept 29 -Oct 7 2012 Best Friend Getaway POLY CL/ HRH CL
chimo2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
Yoshi
DIS Veteran

I use over 2GB a month but I rarely use Wifi and watch a lot of YouTube videos on my phone, I currently have the unlimited plan but if I could cut back the usage a lot if I wanted to. I like to watch videos on YouTube before falling asleep because there really is nothing on TV at night but if I didn't have unlimited data, I would just watch any videos I was interested in on a computer during the day.
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:59 AM   #9
kelly1218
DIS Veteran

My husband hovers around 1G a month. He uses the phone for games, youtube and watching sports. At home he uses the WiFi.

I use mine mostly for Facebook, email and games....and I hover around 700MB. I did notice.... the data usage JUMPED up in July/August...that was when they stopped offering the unlimited plan. (we both used to have about 300-500MB a month)
We don't use the phone anymore now than we did a few months ago. Weird?

Philly
~Walker 2010 ~ ~Crew 2011~ walking with my daughter in 2012
kelly1218 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: