Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #16
sndral
DIS Veteran

Ohana and Kona both seem to me to be very poorly managed in terms of wait times for seating/walk ups and the like. I chose to not return to either on my most recent trip. I suspect that because they are so close to the MK and because MK has so few TS options they get a lot of walk ups and try to seat them at the expense of people who have ADRs. I like the idea of someone with a copy of the ADR list walking along the line asking people what time their reservation is for and noting the time on the ADR list.
Tell Disney they way Ohana is doing it now is like people with ADRs have a 'fast pass' for seating @ Ohanas, but when they arrive they are forced to join
the standby line because Ohana has no fast pass line
BTW the crowds in the lobby waiting around for Ohanas really detracts from the experience of dinning @ Konas as well.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #17
7165red
DIS Veteran

I believe a big part of the problem was the attitude of the manager. Things do go wrong and when a guest is upset it is up to the manager to smooth things over. Acting as though he didn't understand only added insult to injury.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #18
ice cube
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFamily123 View Post

I talked to the manager again while we were eating and he acted like they did us a favor by seating us at all. He told us we were late and that Disney's policy is anyone 20 minutes or more late is treated as a walk-up... so he supposedly did us a favor by seating us in only an hour and 20 minutes!!! But, it was THEIR FAULT they couldn't check us in when we arrived on time.

When I tried to explain again that it was a problem with check-in, the manager didn't seem to get it.
The only improvement is making sure you are on time for you next reservation.As you stated you had 5:10 reservations and you arrived at 5:10 which in turn makes you late under Disneys reservation rules.So If you arrived on time which is twenty minutes before your reservation time then I would say you have a point but there is nothing to improve here but your own time management. Sorry to be so blunt nothing against you just this issue is not Disney's fault and you are trying to make it one.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #19
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice cube View Post
The only improvement is making sure you are on time for you next reservation.As you stated you had 5:10 reservations and you arrived at 5:10 which in turn makes you late under Disneys reservation rules.So If you arrived on time which is twenty minutes before your reservation time then I would say you have a point but there is nothing to improve here but your own time management. Sorry to be so blunt nothing against you just this issue is not Disney's fault and you are trying to make it one.
Actually, even though I noted it in my post, they suggest you arrive 15 minutes (not 20) before your reservation... and if you had read the following posts you would have noted that it IS a problem at 'Ohana even if you arrive that early. IF the check in line is taking 15+ minutes to get through, then even being there 15 minutes early means you would not be checking in until your reservation time through no fault of your own.

The fact that the manager could not see an issue there is alarming. This is something any manager should be able to realize and should be working on fixing.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

Old 12-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #20
DisneyFamily123
Use the Force, Luke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7165red View Post
I believe a big part of the problem was the attitude of the manager. Things do go wrong and when a guest is upset it is up to the manager to smooth things over. Acting as though he didn't understand only added insult to injury.
Exactly! I wasn't looking to get anything for free. I declined the manager's offer to comp the gratuity. The only reason I'm pursuing this further is because the manager was defensive and quick to blame us without even trying to understand our frustration. All I hoped for was for the manager to acknowledge a need for improvement and maybe help us get out of there faster. We didn't even eat much but really got annoyed when we couldn't take our dessert to go.

Quote:
I don't agree with that at all. I understand that the ADR is not really a true reservation but means we should be seated at the next available table after the ADR time. Even if we had arrived 20 minutes early, it still took 30 minutes just to get up to the person checking guests in. Now, keep in mind... I was only about the 10th person in line. When we left Ohana, there were 50 or more people in line. Were those people supposed to show up an hour or more early before their ADR because Ohana is incompetent?

Between our 2009 and 2010 trip, we had about 45 ADRs. We NEVER had to deal with this kind of problem. We always arrived right at our ADR time or a few minutes before, were checked in immediately, and seated withing a very short period of time with 2 exceptions.....

San Angel Inn -- We had an 11:30am ADR that we knew we couldn't make... DS5 was sleeping away the morning after the Christmas party. There were later ADRs available but I couldn't book them because ADRs can't be made within the next hour. So, we just arrived at 12:30 and started to explain... the person checking us in quickly interrupted us and said not to worry, they were waiting for us and glad we arrived.... And we had a wonderful dining experience.

Flying Fish Cafe -- We arrived early but looked at the decorations at the Boardwalk Inn and started to watch a performer on the boardwalk right outside the restaurant. It was 7:10pm (our ADR time) but DS5 was pulled into the performer's show. At 7:10, I checked in with Flying Fish and asked if we could be seated later. They said no problem and to enjoy the performer, to just come back whenever we were ready. In addition to the top notch courteous service, the food was incredible.

That kind of service that I'm used to at Disney just didn't exist at Ohana. I didn't want any kind of major exception to be made for me. I just wanted to be checked in and seated within a reasonable amount of time. Nearly 1 1/2 hours is not reasonable.... especially when a large group of people sitting in the lobby next to me walked up without an ADR and were quoted a 2 hour wait. Why they would wait 2 hours I have no idea...

Now that we have been to many restaurants on Disney property. Ohana just doesn't come close to the caliber of others, not with food, certainly not with service.

I'm not out to just bash Ohana. We really liked the Polynesian when we stayed there... and hoped to return... but the experience at Ohana kind of sours it... We will probably go Animal Kingdom Lodge or Grand Floridian next time.
Our Disney Vacations: 2008-2014, 6 trips: Halloween, Christmas, Star Wars Weekend. Favorite resorts - All Stars, Pop Century, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian. Best Tip - Don't try to do it all... Go slower, relax, take a break, have an excuse to come back. Don't miss - Dapper Dans (MK), Flights of Wonder (AK), Fantasmic (HS), Mo-Rockin' (Epcot).
Old 12-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #21
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I was at the Tambu lounge last week before 'Ohana even opened and the check-in line was across the lobby at least a half hour before they began seating people. So showing up AT opening won't mean you don't have to wait in a long line.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #22
DisneyFamily123
Use the Force, Luke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I was at the Tambu lounge last week before 'Ohana even opened and the check-in line was across the lobby at least a half hour before they began seating people. So showing up AT opening won't mean you don't have to wait in a long line.
I kind of remember hearing that Ohana was some other restaurant before. I wonder if it is just too big for its britches. The lines to get in really take away from peacefulness of the music and water in the Polynesian's lobby. If I were the "King of Disney"..... I'd try to put Ohana somewhere else (another building) at the Polynesian, move Kona Cafe into where Ohana is now and still use it for the character breakfast.... and use the Kona Cafe space for a bigger lounge area with more yummy tropical drinks and light food/sushi.
Our Disney Vacations: 2008-2014, 6 trips: Halloween, Christmas, Star Wars Weekend. Favorite resorts - All Stars, Pop Century, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian. Best Tip - Don't try to do it all... Go slower, relax, take a break, have an excuse to come back. Don't miss - Dapper Dans (MK), Flights of Wonder (AK), Fantasmic (HS), Mo-Rockin' (Epcot).
Old 12-15-2010, 10:31 PM   #23
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

It was actually very entertaining having a drink and watching the guests come in and observe the line.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #24
DisneyFamily123
Use the Force, Luke!

Quote:
It was actually very entertaining having a drink and watching the guests come in and observe the line.

That's what we should have done! Could have gotten something from Capt. Cooks for DS and we could have just had a liquid dinner!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:46 PM   #25
apcs
Earning My Ears

The lack of effort to fix what is obviously a problem is the most disturbing part. I think two lines, one for ADR check in and one for walk-ups, is the right thing to do.

So I have an ADR for next week at 4:50 pm - Ohana opens at 4:30. Are you telling me I should be there at 3:50 or earlier? Holy smokes. Might not be worth going. Do they give you a pager to call you up when your table is ready as a regular practice?
Old 12-15-2010, 11:01 PM   #26
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

It should never take more than 10 minutes to check in at any restaurant, they need to speed up the process somehow - better computer system, more people hired to check people in, but something needs to be fixed. I also waited 45 minutes on line to check in at the Sci-Fi, it was ridiculous.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:12 AM   #27
cymbaldiva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok, I have a problem with this post - the OP is on time but they're late....really? - so I did a quick search on adr policy just to make sure. Current policy online per http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq.../#subCategory3 reads:

Yes, reservations are available-and highly recommended-at many Walt Disney World Resort restaurants. You may make reservations by calling (407) WDW-DINE or (407) 939-3463. Guests under age 18 must have parent or guardian permission to call. It is recommended that you arrive at restaurants 5 minutes prior to your seating time. You will be seated at the next available table that can accommodate your party.

In reading that I don't see how the OP was "late" ~ I'm not trying to throw blame one way or another, but I really don't see how this situation was the OP's fault

What happened to the OP is apparently not uncommon; check in at Ohanas is a nightmare at best - Disney really does need to be made aware of the problems with check-in and seating at their restaurants so appropriate changes can be made.

Just my .02
Old 12-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #28
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

This discussion brings up other WDW restaurants that also have major check-in problems: Boma, Chef Mickeys, Crystal Palace, Tusker House, etc. I can keep going, but I don't think I need to. Tusker House for example, has a major check-in problem right at park opening, as the park managers close the park to everyone due to safety issues. Despite knowing this, they refuse to come up with any other solution besides holding up guests - they continue to take ADRs at this time, etc. Doesn't make any sense...they have the power to work out a better solution, just like they do at 'Ohana, yet they don't care to.

There are many on here who recognize that 'Ohana is a nightmare, and that is true, but there are other restaurants on Disney property that are horrible for check-in as well. We have eaten pretty much everywhere, and it is very common for many TS restaurants to have check-in issues and make guests wait.

We are a family who shows up early for our ADRs - we don't expect to be seated early, but we show up early to get that check-in process started, because at certain restaurants it is a nightmare. Some of this can be attributed to:

1. guests at character meals who take an insanely long time to eat (hogging characters)

2. guests who lose ADRS or pretend they have lost them, never having made them in the first place

3. guests who insist on walking up, despite being told there are going to be long waits

4. guests who are very late for ADRs

5. restaurant check-in issues

We have experienced all of these, and then some when checking into TS restaurants over all of our trips. 'Ohana is bar far one of the worst, as their management team is horrible, as is the kitchen and most of the service staff. When you have a lounge area with couches set up with a performer outside of the restaurant, you are in for a massively long wait.

We eat at Kona all of the time, as it's our fav TS, and we never experience any of the same issues. It's a smaller place, no characters or buffets, etc., but they are more efficient. I see many walk ups go over to Kona from 'Ohana hoping to get tables, yet the front staff is able to handle questions and concerns in a much more efficient fashion than at 'Ohana.

It makes for an interesting discussion of what can be done about it? I tend to think it's a combination of inefficient restaurants, problem ADRs and guests who take way too long to dine there.

Can anything be done? Sure it can. Will it? Probably not...Waiting is the name of the game at WDW, and so I think since guests are used to waiting, WDW isn't concerned.

Tiger
Old 12-16-2010, 09:01 AM   #29
NMW
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That is exactly what we do! We get there at least 30-45 mins before our ADR time, sometimes even more, and have drinks at the lounge. I find it entertaining to watch people start freaking out at the podium. It's sad, I know.

I can say that breakfast does not have nearly the insanity that dinner does. We eat breakfast at 'Ohana a lot and have never had any issues. We check in, get our family photo, and get seated 1-2-3. The servers also do not rush you out of there the way they do at dinner.

I honestly think 'Ohana does not live up to the hype it gets. The food is okay, but not amazing. However, like I wrote in an earlier post, DH and I have decided to take it off our list for good based on our last 3 dinners there. We will continue to eat breakfast there however. We also plan to stop by the lounge for tropical drinks before our dinner at Norcoosees on our next trip.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #30
tgropp
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I dont understand on how you figure that this is okay for OHanas to treat a customer this way. If there are so many people waiting in a chaotic line that is not progressing due to poor management or maybe even an issue like a computer problem which is out of managements control, it is still wrong to blame a customer. I am sure that the way this evening was going, that some diners were there 20 minutes ahead of time and still did not reach the podium on time. The restaurants try to push as many people through their establishment every evening and occurnces like this happen on a regular basis. I would not be happy with this expeirence and I am sure the majority of diners would be either.
Feb 2013: AKL Club Level / DCL Fantasy Western Cruise / BCV
Feb 2012: DCL Mexican Riviera Cruise Dec 2011: VWL/BCV
Christmas 2010: VWL
Nov 2009: BC Villas Dec 2008: VWL/AKV/ Dolphin
Dec 2007: BWV/VWL Feb 2007: Dolphin/DCL Eastern cruise/OKW/VWL
Christmas/New Years 2005: WL/Dolphin
Dec 2002: AKL/WL
Christmas/New years 2000: BC/WL Christmas/New Years 1998: WL/BC
Christmas 1996:WL Junior Suite Christmas 1994: WL
Dec 1992:CBR Dec1989, April 1983, Jan 1980: OffSite
Closed Thread

Tags