Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
happily single
Left foot first!

Lowe's Return Policy on Paint?

So I decided this morning to paint the kitchen. Original plan was a robin egg blue. I will have (after painting is done) a floor in earth tones, with slight blue undertones; however, I also have beadboard on the bottom half of the wall and the blue is washed away. Soo, I choose an apricot color, bought the sample size and liked, but didn't love it. I decided that maybe once an entire wall was done I'd like it....Soo I committed to 2 gallons. Well about 1/2 of the first gallon is gone and I HATE IT!!

I'm thinking no, but can I return an un-opened can of custom color paint? Or....is anyone here interested in some paint??

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
happily single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
QVCshopper
DIS Veteran

I don't about Lowes, but I think you can at Home Depot. I've often bought their returned oops paints for $1/quart and $3/gallon to do smaller projects, like the wall behind my TV, a bathroom, and a wall in my DD's bedroom. They sell their returns and mistakes at a deep discount. Maybe give them a call or check their website?
QVCshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

Custom mixed paint is officially not returnable. If you throw a fit, they might take it back, but why should they? They didn't pick that color for you.

I had that experience with our living room. I painted it a green color. It was okay but I wasn't in love with it. I lived with it though for four years and just recently painted it red which I love. Sometimes it is so hard to decide on a color and you don't know until you get it up there how you're going to feel about it.
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Custom paint is not returnable. The ones you see on the 'oops' paint shelf are things that were mixed improperly on their end.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:45 PM   #5
StephMK
DIS Veteran

They won't take it back but I asked if I could just give back one I didn't like - they said they'd send it to Habitat for Humanity. I don't know if they regularly donate paint but hopefully they do. Or there are donation places around that will take it. We have a local place that takes all kinds of household products & offers them to the public.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:51 AM   #6
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

If a can of paint is returned, they remix the color to something new. So you buy a can of blue, return it, and then hope you can buy it at 1$ a can... ain't gonna happen, cause it'll be green when it goes on the oops shelf. It sometimes depends on the store/management team if they're willing to return it. You can also take the paints back and see if they can change the color a bit.

Are you happy within that shade?? Or do you want a totally different color all together??
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:32 AM   #7
daddyof2
Mouseketeer

I have done this
my store didnt have custom paint is not refundable any where that I cold see

the lady said we couldnt

I asked for a manager and he said the same thing
then I asked him to show me where it says not refundable and he couldnt so he gave me my refund (I was nice about it no attitude or yelling) most of the time if your reasonable but firm they will help if they can

First trip EVER Dec. 2006 POP Century
daddyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:39 AM   #8
Jenn4615
DIS Veteran

Home Depot used to allow any paint returns custom or not... Now on the custom cans it states it is not returnable... Now if you could come up with a reason why like its defective they would... But they may just give u a new can of the same thing.. LOL

Jenn4615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:48 AM   #9
happily single
Left foot first!

I;ll go check the can to see if it specifically says no refunds. I know the paint counter and check-outs do not have that disclaimer.

But, I may bring it back and see if they can change it into a blue. Right now its an apricot color, but over my imperfect walls it looks slightly shiny (and its a satin finish)and just looks...um cheap? I was hoping for a robin egg blue, but would even go to a dusty grayish blue

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
happily single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:04 AM   #10
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyof2 View Post
I have done this
my store didnt have custom paint is not refundable any where that I cold see

the lady said we couldnt

I asked for a manager and he said the same thing
then I asked him to show me where it says not refundable and he couldnt so he gave me my refund (I was nice about it no attitude or yelling) most of the time if your reasonable but firm they will help if they can
I would think the burden of proof would be on YOU to show that custom paint IS refundable.

As far as I know, a store can have any return policy it wants. It can say "we'll refund everything except items purchased on a Tuesday after 4pm". I think the manager was being nice to you.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:24 AM   #11
mrodgers
DIS Veteran

My wife works at Lowes. They take paint back all the time, any paint, even if you simply did not like the color once you tried it on the wall.

My wife loves it because she loves painting the house and she checks the clearance rack all the time and brings home the returned paint for $5/gallon.
mrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:18 AM   #12
Disney845
is there a tag fairy epidemic in progress?
I swear to tell the truth...the whole truth...and nothing but the truth!
Loves to shop!

Not 100% sure on Lowes, but Home Depot's policy is no returns on custom tinted paint (says so right on the label which prints with the color codes).

That being said, a lot of the time, the returns desk/manager will just take it back as opposed to arguing with the customer. Personally I don't think they should, because why should they take back a customized item that you chose just because you don't like it?

Also, regarding the oops paint. This could potentially be a returned item (if as I said the customer complained enough and got them to take it back) but most often is a paint that didn't come out correcly when the paint department was first mixing it (like a color match that the customer didn't like the results of). They will then mix in other tint to change the color so it is completely different from what they were originally making (to prevent customers from asking for a color, saying the don't like it, then waiting for the store to mark it down and buying it anyway).

OP, you mentioned trying to see if they could change the apricot to blue, you should take it back in to the store and ask them. It might not be possible however, because different paint colors start with different bases.

SO is addicted to paint. He is constantly buying paint and painting/repainting our house, and other things. Since oops paints are such a "great" deal he is constantly buying them. We have a detached large storage shed (I call it "the barn"...it is one of those Tuff Sheds Home Depot sells and contracts to have people come out and build on your property...did I mention that SO spends far too much money at Home Depot?) and we probably currently have no less than 30 different cans of paint in there for various projects.
WDW On Site Trips Since Joining the DIS in 2002 9/02 Port Orleans Riverside 9/05 Pop Century (50s)-FDDP 12/06 Pop Century (60s)-DDP 9/07 Coronado Springs 11/07 All Star Sports-Thanksgiving 9/08 Pop Century (90s)-FDDP 11/08 Yacht Club-Thanksgiving 5/09 All Star Sports 9/09 Pop Century (50s)-FDDP 9/10 Pop Century (90s) 11/10 Pop Century (80s) 3/11 Pop Century (70s) 9/11 Pop Century (60s) 9/12 Pop Century (90s) 4/13 Caribbean Beach 9/13 Pop Century (60s) 3/14 All Star Music
Disney845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #13
chyam
Where is that LL Bean catalog when you really need it
I always feel like eeyore!

I think alot depends on the store....I was told by someone in my store just by pass the returns counter and go directly to the paint counter, and depending on the person (in this case the person who told me) took it back and marked it as an opps....and made me a different color, most of the mistakes I have had to take back with custom colors is for some reason I ask for exterior only to get home and find it was interior, I do save my receipt and I also take my color chip where I usually have them write if it is interior or exterior and the date! So take the full can back ....find a nice looking person....lol and ask, if not you are out but at least it is worth a try...I always check my cans now...exterior/interior...lol
Old 12-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #14
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Lowe's (corporate policy, NOT at the discretion of the store/manager) is not to refund paint just because you don't like the color. And as a PP said, why should they? If you get an employee to go along with you, that doesn't make it right.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #15
cm8
Half of the time we're rushing around to get things done last minute or we realize we're running behind so we need to catch up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
Custom paint is not returnable. The ones you see on the 'oops' paint shelf are things that were mixed improperly on their end.

"I have placed the Lord ever before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalm 16:8

cm8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: