Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 02:02 AM   #856
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

I am always amazed at how much you squeeze in before you meet up with each of us. I mean between the time I dropped you off at the GCH and we met up after your pass you had like a lifetime of pass photos! LOL!

You are a master at snapping photos!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:43 AM   #857
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

The garden is stunning. Very peaceful.

Glad you got your bacon.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #858
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Lovely pics! That garden is really all I remember of my one trip to San Fransisco back in '79.

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 40/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:19 AM   #859
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Oooh bacon! I also LOVE bacon in the US - you just can't get it like that in Australia

We spent quite a few hours getting lost (literally) in the Golden Gate Park trying to find the Walt Disney Family Museum (before arriving only to discover it was closed that day ). It was a very pretty place to be lost but that must be a different part you went to. Will have to check that out next time!

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 RunDisney 10k DLR (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Sep 2015 RunDisney Half DLR PTR - 2016 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #860
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
Lovely pics of the Japanese Tea Garden, I love walking through there. It always seem like a magical place. You accomplished quite a bit in your time before the DISmeet.
I love walking through here too. And yes, magical is the word for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
Lovely pictures! I have never been in that area. I will have to get there sometime. Love that bridge.
If you have the opportunity, I would highly recommend it. I really do love the Golden Gate Bridge area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I am always amazed at how much you squeeze in before you meet up with each of us. I mean between the time I dropped you off at the GCH and we met up after your pass you had like a lifetime of pass photos! LOL!

You are a master at snapping photos!
Thanks! I was actually glad to be able to squeeze in the Japanese Garden this morning. I had hoped that traffic would be kind and that I would be able to enjoy some time in the Park...the Japanese Garden was a pure bonus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
The garden is stunning. Very peaceful.

Glad you got your bacon.
I'm glad I got my bacon too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
Lovely pics! That garden is really all I remember of my one trip to San Fransisco back in '79.
Was that the last time you were in San Francisco?? It's probably changed a bit since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
Oooh bacon! I also LOVE bacon in the US - you just can't get it like that in Australia

We spent quite a few hours getting lost (literally) in the Golden Gate Park trying to find the Walt Disney Family Museum (before arriving only to discover it was closed that day ). It was a very pretty place to be lost but that must be a different part you went to. Will have to check that out next time!
Did you drive when you were in San Francisco?

It's a rather big park; and there are lots of different sections to it. I could spend 5 days there and not see it all.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #861
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Did you drive when you were in San Francisco?

It's a rather big park; and there are lots of different sections to it. I could spend 5 days there and not see it all.
No we didn't drive, we walked from Fisherman's Wharf to the bridge, then through the park to the Disney museum - wasn't a very good idea

We passed what looked like military housing, police horse stables, a cemetary, and then the little village thing where the Disney museum is. It was pretty, but we would have enjoyed it more if we weren't so concerned about being lost!

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 RunDisney 10k DLR (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 01-16-2013, 12:32 AM   #862
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
No we didn't drive, we walked from Fisherman's Wharf to the bridge, then through the park to the Disney museum - wasn't a very good idea

We passed what looked like military housing, police horse stables, a cemetary, and then the little village thing where the Disney museum is. It was pretty, but we would have enjoyed it more if we weren't so concerned about being lost!
I think you walked through the Presidio; rather than Golden Gate Park. They are close'ish to each other. The Presidio used to be a military base and is now part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. And it is very easy to get lost in the Presidio. Except for this visit, I've gotten lost every other time.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 01-16-2013, 01:01 AM   #863
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
I think you walked through the Presidio; rather than Golden Gate Park. They are close'ish to each other. The Presidio used to be a military base and is now part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. And it is very easy to get lost in the Presidio. Except for this visit, I've gotten lost every other time.
Oh, that would make sense then

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 01-17-2013, 05:22 AM   #864
PrincessInOz
in

Poster Gals and Guys of the Lasting Kind - DisMeet #3

When planning for this trip, the one thing that was the highest priority on my must-do list was to meet up with as many of my Dis friends as possible. Afterall, there were about 4 or 5 of us that hang out on a thread and aside from myself and franandaj, most of the others lived in Northern California.

Usnuzuloose and I had already met in Monterey last year. It was really great to be able to spend more 3D time with her.

ACDSNY and I had been poster gals of the lasting kind for a while. It was to be our first face time together.

mvf-m11c is a regular poster on the Disneyland section of the boards and has one of the most viewed TRs on this section. Hes been hanging out with us for a while as well. I was looking forward to putting a face to the on-screen persona.

My Three Amigos all lived in the same region in NorCal. Would you believe that this is the FIRST time they'd DisMet as well?

When we arranged this DisMeet, there was really only one place for us to meet up. You may have already spotted it already.....

The Museum is located at 104 Montgomery Street, The Presidio and is the brainchild of Diane Disney-Miller. Diane is the first daughter of Walt and Lilian.

Why is it in San Francisco? Well, it turns out that Diane lives in NorCal and most of her archives are stored in a warehouse at the Presidio. It seemed only logical that she would set up a museum here.

It is a strictly no photography sort of place; so there will be none posted here.

The museum consists of about 9 or 10 gallery rooms absolutely packed to the rafters with memorabilia and mementoes of Walt Disney, the man. As you progress from room to room, you go through the stages of his life and every item in that particular room tells the story of that stage. There are handwritten notes, pictures, visual artefacts, audio recordings....you name it! There were even sketches and cartoons drawn by Walt Disney himself in the early days.

It was a great place for a DisMeet but for one very important fact. This museum is mind-blowingly, gob-smackingly detailed! There is stuff EVERYWHERE! We were all entranced with exploring and reading about the man behind the theme park and that had started the corporation that we barely got much time to chat to each other. Still, it was a great way to spend time in 3D with the link to Disney; that formed the basis of our friendships with each other.

There was one other noteworthy thing from the morning to mention. When we entered in through the reception area, there was a lady greeting some friends in the area. ACDSNY nudged me to point out that the lady was Diane Disney. She was obviously conducting a personal tour of the museum and we did our best to hang around to listen in on the conversation. I didn't catch much of what was being said but she was definitely peppering her tour around the rooms with her personal memories; plus why she had selected the items for display. Seems like what was in the museum was but a drop in the bucket of the stuff the Walt Disney Family Foundation had in storage. Her group moved past us in the second or third room; and I wished that we could have been a Ray-the-firefly on the wall with that group!

It took us about 2 - 3 hours to get through the various galleries. The ones that stood out in my memory are his childhood home, the early Hollywood years, the gallery where the creation of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves is, the optical projector, the large gallery with the 3D scale model of Disneyland and the final touching room where a number of us were moved to tears.

By this stage, mfv-m11c had to leave. So we headed out to take a final shot of our DisMeet.

My thanks to ACDSNYs DH for taking the shot of the four of us!

And for you NorCal Dis-sers.....here's one of just the 3 of you.

It was another very successful and pleasurable DisMeet! I hope to do it again sometime in the future.

(Continued in Next Post)

Last edited by PrincessInOz; 01-17-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:25 AM   #865
PrincessInOz
in

(Continued from Previous Post)

Crabby Patty #2 – A Lasting Lunch in Sausalito

After we said our goodbyes, the others and I talked about having a bite to eat. We had considered grabbing a bite at the WDFM café but the food there was not what we had in mind for lunch. Turns out that none of us had researched food options around or in the Presidio. The nearest options we knew of for decent food was along Chestnut or Union Street in the Marina district. However, we had car parking to consider and ACDSNY and I knew that parking was going to be a problem for one car; much less two.

So, we headed out in a totally different direction. We headed to an old favourite haunt of mine.

The Seafood Peddler used to be the Cat and Fiddle. It’s located in Sausalito and ACDSNY drove us all there.

It is located on Bridgeway; but away from the tourist section of Sausalito and there was plenty of parking out the front.

Despite the name change, the ambience inside had not.

We ordered drinks; none alcoholic and none that came with umbrellas.

The bread on the table was reasonable.

I ordered the clam chowder, which was rather good.

It was when our meals came out that I experienced Crabby Patty #2.

See…..I was sitting at the end of the table.

And I really wanted to take pictures of the food…..Dungeness Crab was in season and a couple of us ordered the salad.

I got up to take a picture; only to be ‘singled out’ by one of the waiters. Maybe I should have asked or have been a bit more discreet; and I don’t remember what he said……but I did feel a little put out by it. There is definitely been something about me taking crab pictures this trip that attracts bad karma!

A couple of us ordered the Dungeness Crab (patty) burger. Definitely crabby….and Oh So Good!

(Continued in Next Post)

Old 01-17-2013, 05:28 AM   #866
PrincessInOz
in

(Continued from Previous Post)

Sittin’ on the Dock of the Bay, Sausalito

We weren’t near the dock where the majority of the floating homes of Sausalito were moored but there were a couple of house boats sittin’ down the dock just where the restaurant was.

And as we were right there, we decided to do a short walk down and take a look.

There were a number of homes on the water here…..

….and this one was for sale.

It gave us something to speculate and contemplate as we walked down the pier.

Yes, you saw right. That’s the Taj Mahal floating home right at the end of this pier.

I believe that this used to be a Bed and Breakfast……but it’s now back as a private residence.

Pity! Might have been interesting to spend a night here.

We took a look at the hills of Sausalito. I’ve always liked the hilly-ness of this area!

It was a very calming and tranquil view; just sittin' on the dock of the bay in Sausalito.

By this stage, it was time to head back. The NorCals needed to trek on home and still had a couple of hours driving ahead of them.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:09 AM   #867
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Awesome! I hate my photo But always happy to see you!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #868
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

What a fun day!

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 40/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #869
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Aww I'm a bit sad that you weren't able to share any photos from the museum. But I'll get back there one day and see for myself! Sounds like you all had a great time

And boo for the crabbies!

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 01-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #870
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Great update! Love having faces to out with names.

The crabby patty looks so good. What's the brain child behind bringing the soup in a boat and then pouring it in the bowl I wonder?

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: