Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #271
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
We had one of those cars with a key like that a couple years ago in Texas. The car was running when they gave it to us, and I guess the valet brought it up at our hotel. It wasn't until we were leaving the place we went for dinner that we realized we had no idea how to start the thing! I had to call the rental company 800 line to figure out how to get it started to get home!
Old 02-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #272
TheColtonsMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I did think that the mac and cheese needed some truffles, just for some extra oomph!
Spoiled rotten by Club 33 are we???

My 2010 Christmas TR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2613318
My 2011 Halloween PTR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....613318&page=29
Me Sherri , DH Brant ,DS6Colton
TheColtonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #273
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Monterey in the Morning
So, we ordered.

DS and I both wanted eggs and bacon this morning. I’m not really sure which one was his and which one was mine…but I suspect the one with the pile of extra toast was DS’.

So what kind of eggs are these? I've never been served my eggs in a bowl...
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #274
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Quote:
Looks like a poached egg...yum!

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 33/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #275
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
Ahhhh we always order them over easy or scrambled....
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 02-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #276
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

I like a runny yoke
Old 02-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #277
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
I like a runny yoke
As well as a running joke...creamed corn, anyone?

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 33/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #278
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFirefly View Post
Yay for the new rental!
Quote:
Yay for the new rental!
I see you hit the Dis twilight zone. I think I should be saying....Thank you, Thank you.

Quote:
I am glad you had time to linger around for a while. I love monterey. I love the gilroy outlets. I got my last purse there in dec. While we were there in dec, we arrived in the evening only to find all the electricity was out everywhere. It came back on after about an hour. So much to see and do and you just cant do everything. Okay weird car keys. I dont like it. Let us see the magnet you bought. My DH just informed me that in about a month he wants to go to vegas so we can work out the rest of our details for our trip in june I cant wait to see some more of your trip. At least you and your son had time alone to do things.
I'll take a picture of the magnet and post it...sometime.

You're going to Vegas to work out your June trip??? Some people have all the luck.
....wonder if I could use the same strategy with my DH?

Quote:
We had one of those cars with a key like that a couple years ago in Texas. The car was running when they gave it to us, and I guess the valet brought it up at our hotel. It wasn't until we were leaving the place we went for dinner that we realized we had no idea how to start the thing! I had to call the rental company 800 line to figure out how to get it started to get home!
Quote:

I wasn't quite that bad....I just kept forgetting about putting the door key in the special slot....a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColtonsMom View Post
Spoiled rotten by Club 33 are we???
If it weren't for the fact that truffles were $9000 per kilo, it should be MANDATORY to add it to mac and cheese.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ahhhh we always order them over easy or scrambled....
You should try them poached sometime. My favourite style of eggs!

Quote:
I like a runny yoke
Quote:
As well as a running joke...creamed corn, anyone?

We're gonna have to wait a couple of days before I can load anymore photos up....sorry for the delay folks.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #279
franandaj

Quote:
I like a runny yoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
You should try them poached sometime. My favourite style of eggs!
Not to hijack your TR with egg preferences, but that's why I ordered them over easy, but only if I have toast & bacon, the kind in your picture. I haven't had Aussie bacon to know if I like it, and certainly have NOT had Kangaroo bacon!

Old 02-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #280
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Quote:
Not to hijack your TR with egg preferences, but that's why I ordered them over easy, but only if I have toast & bacon, the kind in your picture. I haven't had Aussie bacon to know if I like it, and certainly have NOT had Kangaroo bacon!
I'm sure if you ask real nice she will send you some.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:43 AM   #281
shushh
DIS Veteran

The view over the Harbour was beautiful and seeing the photos reminded me of the great sunrises and sunsets we saw on our cruise.

I had forgotten how pretty Monterey is. Looking forward to reading more. Oh and I also second the motion for a post of the magnet you bought please!
May 2011 Hong Kong Disneyland TR
Sep 2011 Salt Lake City, Disneyland TR
Dec 2012 France, Disneyland Paris, Italy, Cruise to the Holy Land
May 2013 Tokyo Disney Sea TR
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Jun 2015 Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise
shushh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:45 AM   #282
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK

Yes, I hit the Dis Twilight Zone.

Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR/PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DF
DisneyFirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #283
QuirkyButterfly
DIS Veteran

Great new update. You really lucked out with the car. It is a shame that DH needs to work now, but I guess that was the whole reason for the trip in the first place so it can't be helped.

By the way, poached eggs are my favourites
QuirkyButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:44 AM   #284
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
One of these days, Kimmar and I are just going to have to meet face to face.

I don't think that they make Kangaroo bacon. It's just what she calls the Aussie bacon, which is cut to include both the belly pork rasher and the back bacon.

Quote:
I'm sure if you ask real nice she will send you some.
I need to find out if there is such a thing as Kangaroo bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushh View Post
The view over the Harbour was beautiful and seeing the photos reminded me of the great sunrises and sunsets we saw on our cruise.

I had forgotten how pretty Monterey is. Looking forward to reading more. Oh and I also second the motion for a post of the magnet you bought please!

Oh no! It really is a tacky magnet. I'll take a picture and post when I can.

Quote:
Yes, I hit the Dis Twilight Zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuirkyButterfly View Post
Great new update. You really lucked out with the car. It is a shame that DH needs to work now, but I guess that was the whole reason for the trip in the first place so it can't be helped.

By the way, poached eggs are my favourites
You know - it's nice to have DH around; but DS and I really enjoy our San Francisco days together. And then we can catch up again as a family at night with DH.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 02-22-2011, 05:20 AM   #285
PrincessInOz
in

Day 6 - NorCal

Half Moon Bay

After two days on the road and finally getting to Silicon Valley, I was deep in DreamLand when the alarm rudely went off at 6.40 am.
DH was back in full work mode and he had an early start, as his meeting kick-off was 8 am.

His alarm had woken DS as well; so, with no chance of a sleep-in, we got up, got ready and I faced the perplexing conundrum of….

What the heck were DS and I going to do today?

In any event, DS and I decided to join DH for an early breakfast and send him off to work properly.

Unfortunately, there were a number of DH’s work colleagues at the breakfast room and I didn’t want to embarrass DH; so I chose to eat breakfast rather than shoot it.

After breakfast, we said our goodbyes and headed back to our room. It hadn’t gone 8 am yet and I knew better than to rush out into Silicon Valley peak car parking period on the 101 going no where fast. We hung around the room for a while and when I figured it was safe enough, DS and I headed out.

We had decided to go to our favourite beach in this part of the world….Half Moon Bay State Beach - specifically Francis Beach. It takes us about 40 minutes to drive over the Coast Range to this beach.

The beach never disappoints; whatever season or weather conditions I’ve gone in, particularly if you are looking for a bit of solitute. The only issue I have recently had with the outing is the $10 parking fee that the State Park charges for the pleasure. It used to be $5 not that long ago. But today was not a day I was going to quibble about parking fees given that we had not yet paid for parking for any of the stops we have made along the Cabrillo (I was just following the rest of the pack and watching what the others had done). I’m a firm believer in Karma. I figured I was happy to pay $10 parking for this entire trip duration and was relatively guilt-free about all the other times (and times to come) that I hadn’t coughed up any dough.

Whilst it was a beautiful day, it wasn’t quite ocean swimming weather. We rolled up our pants and took off our socks and shoes and headed for the surf. We messed about on the beach, building sand clumps and jumping the waves. I figured that the temperatures must have been in the high teens, pushing the low 20’s….er…that’s in Celsius….about low 70’s Farenheit.

We had a ball playing footsies with the surf and although we did find that the occasional high roller got the better of us, by and large, our clothes remained dry.

It must have taken all over 20 minutes before anyone else showed up on the beach. And then I noticed something else….

…. I had spotted a couple of surfers in the ocean and that was enough for me to resume my favourite activity – stalking – because I needed a picture for wipeout!

So, I left DS to mess about and set up shop with the camera.

I was thankful that I picked up the camera when I did because this group of beautiful Brown Pelicans happened to be flying by in unison.

The Brown Pelicans are the smallest in the pelican family. Like a lot of birds in this part of the world, they were driven to near extinction in the 70’s from the use of DDT and Dieldrin. I was happy to see them as this species is once again thriving in their native environment.

As the pelicans flew off in search of prey, I patiently waited for one of the surfer dudes, my prey, to catch a wave.

It turns out that the waves weren’t of the sort the strong silent surfer dudes wanted to catch at all. One of them spent a long time fishtailing into the rollers; whilst the other gave me a neck crick watching him paddling backwards and forwards in the ocean. I could see my chance of a wipeout evaporating in the wind.

In the end, I waited for over an hour. DS had happily played in the sand and surf for this time but he was getting hungry and thirsty. I checked my watch. It was close on lunch time and I knew he was right…but I still hadn’t gotten my shot. When it was obvious that I could delay no more, I was about to put the camera away when….

Finally! Some action! The surfer dude must have gotten unlucky and he ended up in the right place at the right time. And I could see it unfold right in front of me….and that surfer could see it too. He paddled hard, stood up and surfed….

…and surfed….

…and surfed. I could sense possibilities……only to be disappointed. He stayed on his board. The tension kept building…

…as he stayed on his board.

I waited and waited ….and finally!

My wipeout!

I was delirious and light-headed!

It was definitely time to head in search of food.

The great thing about a morning on Francis Beach is that when we’re done, the wash up amenities is reasonable and we fully make use of them.
The Park Services include outdoor showers and taps for that quick rinse off for sand and surf. You just have to remember to bring a towel.

One of the other benefits of taking the trouble to go to Francis Beach is that when we are done, we are a 2-minute drive away from the quaint town of Half Moon Bay.

I was last here in October 2010; and was happy to be back again. DS felt the same way.

Half Moon Bay is not a very big town. It probably consists of about 50 or 60 shops, all along one main street. There are a number of very nice eating establishments, cutesy shops and a couple of clothing shops. And for a small town, it sure has very eclectic street art.

DS and I have been visiting this town together for the last 8 or 9 years and we always make it a point to take a stroll up and down the streets, admiring the windows and occasionally going into a shop of two. We also have this favourite café in town.

On the walls of the café, the owner hangs artwork from local artists, which are for sale. One of these visits, I’m sure I’ll see the one that is destined for my wall at home.
And the bay window looks out on the incredibly busy and bustling street life of Half Moon Bay.

It is a place where locals hang out and everyone knows everyone else’s name.

And the food? Well, we love their killer milk shakes.

We also love their toasted sandwiches, and DS ordered this cheese, avocado and tomato deli sandwich, with pickle.

I decided on a roasted vegetable panini with eggplant, red onion, peppers and pesto; and my favourite A&W Rootbeer.

For me, the food is always delicious and fresh here. And at a total cost of under $20 (including tips in the tip jar) for lunch, I think it is reasonably priced.

After lunch, we lingered in town for a little bit longer. There are a couple of bookshops and a toyshop that are firm favourites with DS. Despite looking hard, we didn’t find anything to buy this time. And after a while, he wanted to head back to the hotel for a swim.

[Up Next – The afternoon is for the birds]

Last edited by PrincessInOz; 02-22-2011 at 05:29 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: