Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2011, 01:45 AM   #226
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Hmm looks very tasty. I want a scoop of the banana split and you DH's entree in particular.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:50 AM   #227
TheColtonsMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
I wouldn't have queued up for a FP to see the show at Christmas either. When you do see it, I'd be interested to know what you thought of it....
There will be a trip report LOL and I will track you down to let you know.

My 2010 Christmas TR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2613318
My 2011 Halloween PTR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....613318&page=29
Me Sherri , DH Brant ,DS6Colton
TheColtonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2011, 02:09 AM   #228
TheColtonsMom
DIS Veteran

I too love Solvang! When we lived in Southern California it was a traditional Mother's day weekend for my mom, my sister & me. waterfalls, shopping and relaxing and good food however I don't think that Root 246 was there the last time we were there. Hopefully there will be another trip there in my future.

My 2010 Christmas TR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2613318
My 2011 Halloween PTR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....613318&page=29
Me Sherri , DH Brant ,DS6Colton
TheColtonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:23 AM   #229
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

What a great find! When you said Bradley Ogden, I'd heard the name, I thnk he went on Iron Chef USA too. That meal looks awesome! Beats all the drive through and take out we ordered today. Sometimes I'm happier with my own cooking, but don't have the energy! Looking forward to the rest of your updates!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:27 AM   #230
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Oh yeah, I forgot, route 154 is a great alternative if you are driving during the day! Back like 25 years ago when I young enough to camp we would stop in the campground along 154 on our way to my parents house...now that I'm an Old Fogie we stop at a hotel!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #231
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

What a lovely day! You brought back memories of a family vaca in '79 when we stopped in that town.

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 40/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #232
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Great pictures of the falls and the night sky! I think I am more impressed by those than the WoC pictures.

You are pretty unlikely to be attacked by a Mountain Lion, and in fact very unlikely to even see one...regardless of what the signs say.

Your meal looked especailly yummy. Truth be told, I have no idea who that chef is. While I enjoy the finer things - I enjoy the "Diners, Dives and Drive-In" style of eating more - especially when done right.

SP

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #233
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK

That town is so cute!

Our 10/16 Disney Wedding PJ | Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR | PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DF
DisneyFirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #234
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
I am loving this whole TR I hope I can only do as well as you. You are the closet way I will see WOC. I love it. I love all the pics in solvang. Its been a long time since I was there. I will have to try the bakeries sometime. It is hard when you want to do so much and not enough time and exhaustion sets in. But there is always next time. Cant wait to read more.
It was probably all the food that we had on this trip...but we did look briefly into the bakeries at Solvang. NONE of us felt like snacking. I'll have some daytime shots of Solvang streets coming up shortly. I'm running out of bandwidth and will need to upload my pictures more slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
Hmm looks very tasty. I want a scoop of the banana split and you DH's entree in particular.
That banana split was fantastic. We got strawberry, chocolate and vanilla flavoured icecream in each little bowl. All bowls had banana and the marshmallow on top; but in the strawberry section, we had a berry compote; the chocolate had warm chocolate fudge and I forget what the vanilla came with. Each had nuts and other toasted delights. Really Yum. And I thought that the mushroom spinach pasta was lovely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColtonsMom View Post
There will be a trip report LOL and I will track you down to let you know.
I'll probably be lurking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColtonsMom View Post
I too love Solvang! When we lived in Southern California it was a traditional Mother's day weekend for my mom, my sister & me. waterfalls, shopping and relaxing and good food however I don't think that Root 246 was there the last time we were there. Hopefully there will be another trip there in my future.
It's a great little weekend spot. Wish I lived closer to enjoy it more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
What a great find! When you said Bradley Ogden, I'd heard the name, I thnk he went on Iron Chef USA too. That meal looks awesome! Beats all the drive through and take out we ordered today. Sometimes I'm happier with my own cooking, but don't have the energy! Looking forward to the rest of your updates!
Well....you are close enough for the weekend trip....It just means no Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot, route 154 is a great alternative if you are driving during the day! Back like 25 years ago when I young enough to camp we would stop in the campground along 154 on our way to my parents house...now that I'm an Old Fogie we stop at a hotel!
It is very pretty. I don't think I've taken this detour before. I usually drive up the 101.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
What a lovely day! You brought back memories of a family vaca in '79 when we stopped in that town.
Hope the memories are good ones....

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Great pictures of the falls and the night sky! I think I am more impressed by those than the WoC pictures.

You are pretty unlikely to be attacked by a Mountain Lion, and in fact very unlikely to even see one...regardless of what the signs say.

Your meal looked especailly yummy. Truth be told, I have no idea who that chef is. While I enjoy the finer things - I enjoy the "Diners, Dives and Drive-In" style of eating more - especially when done right.

SP
Thanks Pete. The rest of my vacay are all non-Disney; so I hope you enjoy them as much.

Yeah - I knew my chances of meeting wildlife at the falls will next to none; but poor DS didn't. He's a city boy through and through. So, this was one of the first times he's been out and about countryside where we've made him get out to walk. Plus he's at the age where he wants to learn and is taking a much more keen interest in the boards and signs. He just freaked (a little) when he realised that I was out there by myself.

BTW - I realised that I didn't answer your question about whether I felt like I was missing anything by taking pictures. It's funny - I didn't spend the entire time behind the lens; and figure it was about 30 or 40% of the time that I was looking down the lens. The rest of the time that I wasn't on the camera, I spent that time thinking about how to get a shot of that particular part of the show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFirefly View Post
That town is so cute!
Wait till you see the daytime pictures! I might put that post up...rather than waiting till I have all the whole day's pictures loaded.. In fact, I think I will...soon.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #235
PrincessInOz
in

Day 4 – Road Trip

Solvang Gardens – Continental Breakfast

This morning, there was NO alarm rudely waking us up as DH and I were officially on holiday. Always the eager beaver, I got up and ready before the boys had even begun to stir.

After checking in late last night, I had looked around the hotel’s gardens in the dark and I was keen to head out and work out what sort of day we had in store for our drive to Monterey.

The English garden at the back of the hotel turned out to be charming in the morning.

The quaint red brick is where they hold their massage treatments.

I’ll need to be back at some stage.

I made my way to the front gardens…

…to grab the promo shot for the hotel.

The front gardens were also equally as pretty.

By this stage, the boys had gotten up; so we made our way to the breakfast room. A continental breakfast was included in the tariff. Breakfast was nothing spectacular; but it was free.

We all looked at the Danish pastry on offer…

..but after the food we’d eaten for the last 3 days, we decided on a lighter meal.

DH and I settled on oatmeal…

I do my best….*sigh*…..but DS decided on the Froot Loops.

You’ll be pleased to note that I upped the nutrition value by making sure DS had a banana with his meal.

I also needed some external stimuli to kick-start my brain..

…before we packed up and drove the very short distance into town.

I did say breakfast was nothing spectacular...

(Continued in Next Post)

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 02-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #236
PrincessInOz
in

(Continued from Previous Post)

Solvang by Morning

I had really wanted to push on out of town and head off up the coast. But DH had other ideas this morning.

We had last been in Solvang in either 1999 or 2000. DH wanted to find a shop in Solvang that sold Tiffany lamps. He specifically remembered a lamp that was shaped like a musical instrument and wanted to head back there to see if it is still available.

Yes, I know….but I know better.

It would probably be quicker to give him the time to look around town than try and reason with DH. Thankfully, Solvang isn’t really that big.

We passed by Root 246 and I was pleased to be able to take a shot of the building in the daytime.

We re-traced some of our steps from last night…

…only to find more windmills in town.

We stopped to admire some of the local features….

….and stumbled across the pretty little squares…

…all the while, DS came shuffling along.

We searched high and low, through various shops…

….by which stage, even DH was figuring out that we had a snowflake’s chance of finding the lamps.

We stopped to ask the locals if they knew the shop….

….some were frozen in surprise!

A few even gave us a glazed stare.

As we followed the breadcrumbs….er…pinecones…trail this morning…

…we sure took in the sights of busy, bustling Solvang.

Time was moving on…

…and finally even DS took a stand…

We all knew that DH was staring at blue skies…

So, we turned the corner and headed for the hills…

…and along the Road to…..

[Next Up – On the Road Again]

Old 02-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #237
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

You know sometimes the simple breakfasts are just as good. I enjoy staying at places that have breakfast. I love all the pictures of solvang. Sometimes you go with the flow of what the better half wants and enjoy it. I cant wait to hear about what you did after our meet.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:12 AM   #238
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK

That town is just so adorable... I think my parents would really like to go there one day

Our 10/16 Disney Wedding PJ | Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR | PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DF
DisneyFirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #239
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
You know sometimes the simple breakfasts are just as good. I enjoy staying at places that have breakfast. I love all the pictures of solvang. Sometimes you go with the flow of what the better half wants and enjoy it. I cant wait to hear about what you did after our meet.
I still have to get to our DisMeet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFirefly View Post
That town is just so adorable... I think my parents would really like to go there one day
Your parents??? You're not implying anything about Old Fogies, are you???

Old 02-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #240
PrincessInOz
in

Road to Pismo Beach – Chasing Wildlife

We’d spent a bit of time this morning exploring the town of Solvang. It was about 11 am when we finally left and headed down towards the coast.

I spent some time soaking in the pastures I could see from the window.

And managed to capture this icon for The King’s Highway – El Camino Real.

These Bells, hanging on the Franciscan Walking Stick, mark this historic road since 1906.

This royal road serves as the connection between the 21 Missions of California. The missions were originally set up approximately 30 miles apart, or a long day’s ride on horseback. The El Camino Real stretches all the way from lower California up into Sonoma County. It is one of the roads that I drive on when in Silicon Valley, when I wish to avoid the 101.

We kept driving along the 101 and our destination was not that far away.

Aside from Disney, I have a love of the outdoors and particularly love seeking out wild animals in their native habitats.

Today, I was chasing Monarch Butterflies at the Pismo Beach grove!

We were advised that at last count there were over 22,000 Monarch butterflies in Pismo feasting on Milkweed plants.

They sure look a lot like Australian Eucalyptus trees to me!
I reckoned there were about 20 or 30 Eucalypts in this patch and I guess that means that there are about 1000 butterflies per tree.

Turns out the milkweed are protected flora in the US because of their importance to the Monarch Butterfly migration; and after feeding; the gum trees are where the butterflies hang around. The ranger told us that it takes about 3 generations of butterflies to migrate all the way up north into Canada and only 1 generation to fly all the way down south into Mexico. We were also told that the Monarchs are one of the largest butterflies in the world with a wingspan of up to 4 inches.

Whilst we are all familiar with the distinctive orange and black striped wings on the upper side…

…the underside of the Monarch is a creamy yellow-white colour.

Beautiful!

We headed out of the grove and decided that as Pismo was only a little way down the road, a lunch stop was in order.

DS decided that he wanted to eat Nachos for lunch; and so we found this Mexican restaurant in town. It was also the first Mexican restaurant we saw.

Given where we had been dining so far, the décor could only be described as simplicity at best.

But we were here for the food; and I was happy to see that a few Hispanic looking families frequented the place. It’s a bit like picking a Chinese restaurant in a foreign Chinatown – always look for the restaurant with the most number of Chinese eating and it’s likely to be the best one in town.
Service was pretty prompt – you gotta love the complimentary corn chips and salsa that arrive the moment you sit down.

The salsa had a nice zing to it; so I was very optimistic that we could be in for a reasonable meal. We checked out the menu…

….and after placing our orders, we waited for our meal to arrive.

DS got his desired nachos.

Don’t be fooled by the picture….the meal was ENORMOUS!

DH and I had wisely decided to split the lobster enchilada…

…just as well; because our meal was equally as ginormous!

Yes, the food was good. I will be happy to stop by this way again.

I was a little dismayed to learn that DS had decided that he was going to make a major dent in the nachos. In the end it took him over an hour before he waved the white flag.

Still, I made the most of the opportunity. I knew that there was a beach and a Californian pier nearby….and convinced DH to stay with DS whilst I headed off for a bit of sun and surf.

I wasn’t the only one enjoying the day at Pismo Beach that day…

I went in search of my picture under the pier..

…and met the occasional stray person and dog walking…

…before I finally found the angles I’d been seeking.

I made my way back to the restaurant and it turns out the DH and DS had also decided to come out to play in the sand. I’m sure you’ll appreciate that it was such a lovely day that we all just wanted to mess about on the beach and enjoy the sunshine for a while.

It was close on 3 before we got back in the car. D’oh. Late. Again.

But we pushed on along the Road to….

(Continued in Next Post)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: