Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 06:57 AM   #106
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.
 
blessedmom4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.
Posts: 4,465

blessedmom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #107
tinytreasures
DIS Veteran
 
tinytreasures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,696

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post

You gave away my costume idea for MNSSHP! (No one else is going to know what I am talking about)
Just remember you have to be able to "pack' them in your luggage
So glad I could help
tinytreasures is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #108
tinytreasures
DIS Veteran
 
tinytreasures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,696

I had Avy's IEP meet today.
They really changed things up. The vision teacher will be going from 2x a month to 2x a week. She has already started some Braille but she now with the increase in time she will really start working on it. I have some paperwork to fill out to get her a free "book reader" I am not sure what it will look like. Then I can check books out for her and the reader will read them to her.
They ordered her something like a cell phone that will read to her too, I didn't understand what it does. I am going to go in when she works with Avy so I can learn too.
The Blind teacher gave me a computer program to download that will help her learn to type. It talks to her.
They want me to get her a i-pad because there are a bunch of programs that she can start working on. The teacher is going this weekend to a big conference about what Apps to get on it so I will have to look into getting her one as soon as the new one comes out.

Edited to add
The vision teacher said she have NEVER seen a eye do what Avy's is doing. She said the scar tissue is spreading and that is what is causing the blindness.

She is reading at Grade level *wiping tears here*
Her math is at 1st grade level.
Speech is her hardest thing. They don't think she will ever get her "R" at all. That is just one letter that will never come for her. She can't move her tongue the right way. There are several other letters she is working on but it is slow going because she can't move that tongue right. She can't lick a ice cream cone, because she can't stick out her tongue.

Now for the BEST NEWS I never thought I would hear.
They told me if she never learned another thing from today on, she has enough skills to live on her own
This is the child that was never suppose to amount to anything. My one goal in life has been to prove that dr wrong, and today my baby girl did that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She is my miracle.

Last edited by tinytreasures; 02-23-2011 at 09:20 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
tinytreasures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #109
Mom2Miracles
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 334

What great news about the progress and the new plans being put in place. I'm sure that eases some stress you must have been feeling. How exciting about the new readers as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytreasures View Post
This is the child that was never suppose to amount to anything. My one goal in life has been to prove that dr wrong, and today my baby girl did that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She is my miracle.
THIS is the best though.
__________________
Momma (aka - Kristy) Dadda Peanut (Wish Princess)& Monkey
Princess Peanut's Wish Trip - CWF/GKTW Pre-Trip Report!!
Mom2Miracles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #110
Tnkrbelle565
DIS Veteran
 
Tnkrbelle565's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: North of Boston OR 1335 Miles from WDW
Posts: 8,490

Already commented on FB but that deserves from dancing bananas

:b anana::ban ana:
__________________
ME (Kristine) (36), DD (9)Let the (Soaken Wet) Memories Begin
Tnkrbelle565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #111
tinytreasures
DIS Veteran
 
tinytreasures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Miracles View Post
What great news about the progress and the new plans being put in place. I'm sure that eases some stress you must have been feeling. How exciting about the new readers as well.



THIS is the best though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnkrbelle565 View Post
Already commented on FB but that deserves from dancing bananas

:b anana::ban ana:
Thank guys
It was hard to hear the bad news but the good news totally makes up for it.
tinytreasures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #112
EEs*Mommy
Mouseketeer
 
EEs*Mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 340

I finally found you today woot! You know me from FP too
__________________
me(38) DH(42) DD(19) DS(17) DS(6) DS(4) DS(4) DD(3) November 2006 ~ Dolphin

7/30 to 8/06 2007 ~ Bday at BC
Noah's Wish!
EEs*Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #113
tinytreasures
DIS Veteran
 
tinytreasures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,696

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEs*Mommy View Post
I finally found you today woot! You know me from FP too
Welcome to Avy's thread
tinytreasures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #114
Wonders10
DIS Veteran
 
Wonders10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 2,862

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytreasures View Post
I had Avy's IEP meet today.
They really changed things up. The vision teacher will be going from 2x a month to 2x a week. She has already started some Braille but she now with the increase in time she will really start working on it. I have some paperwork to fill out to get her a free "book reader" I am not sure what it will look like. Then I can check books out for her and the reader will read them to her.
They ordered her something like a cell phone that will read to her too, I didn't understand what it does. I am going to go in when she works with Avy so I can learn too.
The Blind teacher gave me a computer program to download that will help her learn to type. It talks to her.
They want me to get her a i-pad because there are a bunch of programs that she can start working on. The teacher is going this weekend to a big conference about what Apps to get on it so I will have to look into getting her one as soon as the new one comes out.

Edited to add
The vision teacher said she have NEVER seen a eye do what Avy's is doing. She said the scar tissue is spreading and that is what is causing the blindness.

She is reading at Grade level *wiping tears here*
Her math is at 1st grade level.
[B]Speech is her hardest thing. They don't think she will ever get her "R" at all. That is just one letter that will never come for her. She can't move her tongue the right way. There are several other letters she is working on but it is slow going because she can't move that tongue right. She can't lick a ice cream cone, because she can't stick out her tongue.[/B]
Now for the BEST NEWS I never thought I would hear.
They told me if she never learned another thing from today on, she has enough skills to live on her own
This is the child that was never suppose to amount to anything. My one goal in life has been to prove that dr wrong, and today my baby girl did that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She is my miracle.
Overall, it was a really successful meeting! I'm glad she is getting more help with the vision therapist and they are giving her some AAC to help. I use some programs similar to that. But more so I can make materials for my students than for the students to actually use it. One is called Writing with Symbols and its basically a word processor. You type and it says the word you wrote, plus you can also have a picture pop up for the word (more for the children who can't read).

As an SLP, I can say that /r/ is the hardest sound to produce. I tell it my students all the time because the frustration for some of them is unbelievable. Just curious, is she able to say any /r/ sounds well? Sometimes the initial /r/, like in "red" may be easier than the vocalic /r/, like in "bird" or "door". If she can say any /r/ sound very well (even if it is just one word), I have a trick for you Not that the SLP she has isn't trying her best, but we all have our own tips and tricks in our therapy bags.

ETA: in your school district, do the speech paths do any oral motor exercises for the speech? We occasionally do them with our students on the sly, but are unable to write goals for them. In private therapy, I do them all the time because often, it makes sense to strengthen the muscles and increase coordination.

But, for Avy! And for you for supporting and helping her along the way.
Wonders10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #115
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.
 
blessedmom4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.
Posts: 4,465

I am quite tired; however, I wanted to make sure you knew I AM here reading and cheering for successes and praying for those needs that are still unmet!
blessedmom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #116
tinytreasures
DIS Veteran
 
tinytreasures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonders10 View Post
Overall, it was a really successful meeting! I'm glad she is getting more help with the vision therapist and they are giving her some AAC to help. I use some programs similar to that. But more so I can make materials for my students than for the students to actually use it. One is called Writing with Symbols and its basically a word processor. You type and it says the word you wrote, plus you can also have a picture pop up for the word (more for the children who can't read).

As an SLP, I can say that /r/ is the hardest sound to produce. I tell it my students all the time because the frustration for some of them is unbelievable. Just curious, is she able to say any /r/ sounds well? Sometimes the initial /r/, like in "red" may be easier than the vocalic /r/, like in "bird" or "door". If she can say any /r/ sound very well (even if it is just one word), I have a trick for you Not that the SLP she has isn't trying her best, but we all have our own tips and tricks in our therapy bags.

ETA: in your school district, do the speech paths do any oral motor exercises for the speech? We occasionally do them with our students on the sly, but are unable to write goals for them. In private therapy, I do them all the time because often, it makes sense to strengthen the muscles and increase coordination.

But, for Avy! And for you for supporting and helping her along the way.
I just posted on your thread I have no idea how I missed that your at a speech therapist.
No she can't do any R's at all.
She did get her first ever "sh" this week.
She just doesn't have a clue that she has a tongue at all.
She has both school speech therapy and private. Her private therapist, that has been working with her since she was 3 is the one that said she will never get the "R". She comes to all of Avy's IEP's.
She treats Avy just like her adult stroke patients because that how Avy's speech problems present to her. Avy has very bad word recall without visual clues. Where is why we are so scared with her vision going because she will lose that now. We are all scared her speech will suffer as her vision gets worse.
tinytreasures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:21 PM   #117
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.
 
blessedmom4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.
Posts: 4,465

Sorry you had such a long day and had to go to the MD on top of it all. I hope the hearing aids were ordered without incident. I hope the weekend is nice and relaxing (okay, I can dream, can't I).
blessedmom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #118
tinytreasures
DIS Veteran
 
tinytreasures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,696

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
Sorry you had such a long day and had to go to the MD on top of it all. I hope the hearing aids were ordered without incident. I hope the weekend is nice and relaxing (okay, I can dream, can't I).
It was a longer day then we thought it would be. I really need to take pictures of her new "earring aids" they are so cute. Thanks for talking with me it past the time.
tinytreasures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #119
tinytreasures
DIS Veteran
 
tinytreasures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,696

I scanned some of Avy's baby pictures to share.
Her first day in our home.

First time we propped her to stand (it was hard to get this picture)

Wearing the dress we wanted her to be baptised in, but her adoption took way to long and she outgrew it

This gives you a idea how little she was right before her first birthday. She was wearing size 0-3 months and only 10lbs.
tinytreasures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #120
Mom2Miracles
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 334

Awwwe, she was such a sweet baby. Thank you for sharing!!
__________________
Momma (aka - Kristy) Dadda Peanut (Wish Princess)& Monkey
Princess Peanut's Wish Trip - CWF/GKTW Pre-Trip Report!!
Mom2Miracles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: