Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #811
kelmac284
I wish I lived near one of the parks so I could go anytime I wanted
He was so enamoured with her...

Sherry I have a question for you. We are going vets day weekend (11/10-11/14) and I saw by the title of the thread that it says 11-14 on. Does that mean their won't be any xmas stuff up before that? I know in the past there was but not ALL of it. This was the best time for us to go with the kids break from school but I will be kind of bummed if there is no decs yet. Would appreciate any info. Thanks

DL 1st trip 76 last trip 3/14 next trip ??
DW 1st trip 5/02 last trip 11/10 next trip ??
Old 06-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #812
jernysgirl
I would say head to DL first to get you "in the mood"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac284 View Post
Sherry I have a question for you. We are going vets day weekend (11/10-11/14) and I saw by the title of the thread that it says 11-14 on. Does that mean their won't be any xmas stuff up before that? I know in the past there was but not ALL of it. This was the best time for us to go with the kids break from school but I will be kind of bummed if there is no decs yet. Would appreciate any info. Thanks
I would imagine most, if not all the decor in the parks will be up by then, but the Christmas entertainment (holiday fireworks, snow on Main Street, Christmas parade) will not start until the day of the 14th. I am kind of thinking they might be taping the Christmas parade that weekend though, since historically they tend to tape it the weekend before the official season starts. We will also be in town on those days, coming in on 11/11 and will be in the parks through 11/16.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #813
GrandBob
Grand events should not go unnoticed
That's the Disney master plan!
For a carnivore, it was very good indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
I remember Glamma - she has the gorgeous colored scarf/pashmina in the photo with your granddaughter by the Main Street Christmas tree! It was like an aqua color almost, not quite turquoise!

Excellent question about BB! You know, that's a good point - does it close when POTC closes? Hmmm...
Excellent memory, Sherry! Yep, that's my beautiful wife. And granddaughter inherited those glamor genes

I seem to recall another time that POTC was under refurb, and that BB was closed then. But I'm not sure, hence my question.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #814
kelmac284

Thanks Kim that is kind of what I remembered too. We went on Vets weekend once before but it was years ago and I seemed to remember the decs being up but couldn't remember if they had the entertainment. Kind of bummed that it won't be since we went in Dec this past year and everything was rained out but oh well. I am sure we will still have fun. We have to leave on the morning of the 14th so can't even go to the parks that day

Old 06-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #815
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Let me see if I can find that ElecTRONica thread that's floating around here. Since I'm not a fan of it, it wouldn't be best described by me. That thread might help explain better. I think that mvf-m11c (Bret) might be able to give a better rundown of it, too.

Bret, are you out there?

Basically, it's kind of a street party with dancers and an arcade with '80's-type video games and all kinds of lights, music, etc. It's something to appeal to young visitors, and it's kind of controversial as some folks think ElecTRONica has no place in any Disney park because it's not that typical Disney style, while others think DCA gives a much needed, 'hip' edge.
I am still here Sherry. I just got back from DL yesterday and working on my TR. You know that I will always be on the Christmas Thread and give my opinions during the Holiday season which is the best season at the DLR.

As for ElecTRONica during the Holiday season, the HBL was not decorated during the Holiday season with the ElecTRONica sets and stands. When I first saw the HBL during my trip last year in November, I thought DCA would at least put up some Holiday decorations at HBL even though ElecTRONica was extended towards this year. But the Holiday decorations don't match with ElecTRONica and I understand why DCA did not put up any Holiday decorations at the HBL. I am not much of a party person which ElecTRONica is all about (not being offensive to the people who like ElecTRONica). It is not for me which I am not a partying type person. In the past at the HBL, DCA barely puts up any Holiday decorations out there. There might be some wreaths, garlands, Holiday signs, candy canes and stockings on the light poles during the old days.

Here are some old pics from my past trips during the Holiday season before ElecTRONica came last year.

I was kind of surprise to read that POTC might be down towards Thanksgiving. Hope that it will be open during my Holiday trip. It was neat to see the new Black Beard mist screen during the ride.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #816
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac284 View Post
Kelly -

Kim answered before I had a chance to answer you, and she gave you most of the info, but what I would add is that the hotels and DTD will not have their holiday decor up prior to Thanksgiving. So what you will be be getting is Phase 1 and one day of Phase 2 of the decor/entertainment for your trip. I explained this somewhere on the last page or the page before, but basically:

Phase 1 is when most of decorations and most of the trees start to go up between Halloween and the start of the holiday season. A lot of merchandise begins to appear and some of the holiday treats are sold. Everything is slowly put up.

Phase 2 is the official opening day of the season, when any extra little touches are thrown in, and all the entertainment starts, like the Round-Up, snow on Main Street, IASW Holiday, etc. Most of the holiday food items are out. ToonTown, NOS, Frontierland, A Bug's Land, etc. all have their holiday decor. Santa appears in DL and DCA.

Phase 3 is when the 3 hotels get their decor - right after Thanksgiving - and DTD gets its tree. Anything food-wise or merchandise-wise that was not on sale before will probably be available now (like tamales). Santa and carolers appear in all 3 hotels.

Honestly, just because the season is starting on such an odd day of the week this year, my personal feeling is that IASW Holiday will open before 11/14, probably in soft openings over the weekend. I would think that almost everything will be up or soft opening (maybe even the Round-Up) before Monday.

If the season were to start on a Friday, like always, then I would assume that all the entertainment would have a hard start date and not roll out earlier. But because there will be many people in DLR for the Veterans Day weekend leading up to the holiday season, this year I suspect that you will see mostly everything in full swing a couple of days early.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 06-22-2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #817
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Thank you so much for posting those photos, Bret! I had almost forgotten what the the Hollywood area looked like with some Christmas decor! I liked those garland candy cane and bell things on the posts. I wish there was a way they could keep decorating the area in spite of ElecTRONica!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 06-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #818
merrrydeath
DIS Veteran

Told you I'd come back with more!

Even the Storybookland houses are decorated!

Old 06-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #819
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Yay! Pictures! Thank you so much, Meredith!

You gave us such a good array of photos with an overview of what the holidays are like at DLR. I was giddy looking at all of them! The Castle photos are just wonderful - it made me very anxious to get back there and see it, as well as IASW Holiday! And I love the teeny tiny decorations on the Storybook Land cottages - that is something that I bet a lot of people very easily miss because they skip that ride.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #820
kelmac284

Thanks Sherry. That is kind of what I was hoping too since Vets day will be a 3 or 4 day weekend for a lot of people. I figured it will prob be really busy (the time we were there before they actually closed DL!!) EEK! Had signs on harbor that it was closed and to go to DCA instead. That is the one and only time I ever saw that although I have been at times like this past week when it seemed MORE crowded.

I appreciate all the info and although I wish there would be a bit more we have to take what we can get since that is the only weekend that works for us.

Thanks!!

Old 06-23-2011, 12:18 AM   #821
merrrydeath
DIS Veteran

I have pictures of the Fantasy Parade up next, just have to pair them down a little and organize!
Old 06-23-2011, 07:49 AM   #822
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Fabulous pics merrrydeath. Great screen name too.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Old 06-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #823
simbalion74
Earning My Ears

Bumping with some photos from last year.

DSC08095 by simbalion74, on Flickr

DSC07407 by simbalion74, on Flickr

DSC07427 by simbalion74, on Flickr

DSC07590 by simbalion74, on Flickr

DSC07616 by simbalion74, on Flickr
June 1986 Disneyland
Dec 2005 POR
July 2008 Disneyland
Jan 2009 All Star Sports
Dec 2010 Disneyland
Me(37)
Old 06-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #824
jernysgirl
I would say head to DL first to get you "in the mood"

Bumping up, from the depths of page 3!
Old 06-27-2011, 11:37 PM   #825
Sydnie
Mouseketeer

Oh my gosh these pictures are just magical! You are not doing anything to make my Disney fever lessen people :lol:

I told DH that all I want for Christmas is a trip to Disney
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: