Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #3271
scrapshappen
Mouseketeer

I'd love to hear about this year's holiday treats. Anything new and different that is must try.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #3272
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Another vote here for 11/12! I am interested in new decorations or disappearing (NOS anyone) decorations from past years. You know me - I'll be happy with whatever you are able to share.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #3273
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2PrincessAbby View Post
Sherry--I would love to hear about fun merchandise... Possible things I can ask vacay planning to do for my dd in a basket... I am hoping to see their amenity list for christmas soon, but, I know they will custom something up too... Maybe the glow ears, an ornament, and ???? We don't need stuffed animals or stockings... But I don't know what else to include either
Mommy2PrincessAbby -

Merchandise it is! I notice that every year there is a lot of similar stuff to the previous year's merchandise selection, but then they will often throw in some really cute things as well - like some especially clever items.

I think that this year there is supposed to be a lot of new Cars Land holiday merchandise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdMICKEY View Post
I would love to hear about the decorations in DCA & Carsland. I was disappointed for Halloween. You could barely tell it was Halloween/fall.

Rumors are that DCA will be going all out. We have a Cars xmas book and I'm hoping Carsland is decorated similarly. My DS will go nuts.

Oh you know I am making a beeline for Cars Land and Buena Vista Street as soon as DCA opens! I am heading to those lands before I set foot in Disneyland. I have been getting goosebumps reading the descriptions of the Buena Vista Street holiday atmosphere, because it just sounds perfect - exactly like it would have been in 1930's Los Angeles during the holidays.

And I know that the Cars Land decor will probably contain a lot of hidden treasures - small details that you have to look closely to find.

You would not be the first person to comment on the lack of Halloween-ness at DLR this year. I've read similar comments both here and on other boards. They didn't even put the floral Masked Halloween Mickey at the entrance to DL as they did last year.

And the sad thing is that even when Halloween Time was at its peak - I would say, probably around 2007 or 2008 - it still was not up to the level of detail and immersion that the holiday season is. But, it was 50 times better than the Halloween season now! Now, they just keep scaling Halloween Time back more and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRosie View Post
I'm excited to see the Ranch/Jamboree area since the reindeer are not there this year. Also excited for the Christmas Village at the ice skating rink. thank you so much! Only 3 weeks to go for our surprise trip!
RedRosie -

I agree - I'm really curious to see what's happening at the Jamboree now that the reindeer are gone. I guess we can assume Billy Hill will be performing there. That's probably where a lot of the Winter sweater-wearing characters will end up.

I'm kind of excited about that Christmas village (or 4 "chalets") at the ice rink too! It really does sound a lot like what used to be at the Disneyland Hotel back in the 1990's, as part of "Candy Cane Lane." Supposedly they are selling seasonal treats and things, so we shall see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape2Disney View Post
I would vote for you to go on or after the 12th. That way everything is up and running. Our family would be interested in hearing about EVERYTHING Disney/Christmas. Whatever you focus on will be great, I'm sure :-)
Escape2Disney -

It sounds like the 12th is gaining momentum! That was always my first choice as there is a certain relevance to being there on opening day, but then it began to seem like so many things were going to be open prior to 11/12. I don't know why Disney doesn't just say, "We're starting the season on 11/9."

I think that we will start to see photos of Cars Land and Buena Vista Street decor pop up before 11/12 (probably before Friday, even), but I go really in-depth and up close with the decorations! Whatever pops up on those 'other boards' won't be as in-depth as what I get! I am all up in the decorations, crawling under and around people to get to things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixleyyy View Post
Another vote for the merchandise! And any cool, different decor or places that we should hit when we're there.
pixleyyy -

Merchandise it is - and anything new or different to see that maybe wasn't there before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylie71 View Post
Hi Sherry,
I would like to see the Christmas Village, and the ice skating rink in DTD...
Also the holiday windows along Mainstreet USA....

Thanks,
Lori
Hi, Lori!

Okay, so another vote for the Village, which means another vote for 11/12 (since it appears that the Village will not be open prior to 11/12, even though the rink is open now)!

Window displays it is! I love the displays. That's where I get into a lot of those 'crawling under and around people' situations to try to get to the displays! I get some strange looks when I do that, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do! I notice that a lot of the displays are kind of the same every year, and then there is always one or two that's totally different from the previous years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadzgirl70 View Post
Hi, Sherry! Another vote for the 12th. Disney is sneaky and something spectacular may appear overnight. Plus, the ice skating rink and area surrounding it sounds like so much fun.
Our family would love to hear/see the new merchandise and food goodies to be had this year. Have a great time!
dadzgirl70 -

Hi there! Okay, the 12th it is! Yes, Disney is very sneaky. Chances are they will have mostly everything running and on display for the Veterans Day weekend, but if even the Village at the ice rink is not open until 11/12, I think it's worth waiting. And they are just sneaky enough to hold something back - let's say they keep some pivotal bit of the Cars Land decorations hidden - until 11/12. It may be just one lone tree or decoration, but I want to be sure to see everything!

I will keep an eagle eye on the merchandise and goodies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapshappen View Post
I'd love to hear about this year's holiday treats. Anything new and different that is must try.
scrapshappen -

Okey dokey! I'm hoping that there are at least a couple of new treats out this year. We pretty much know the regular ones to expect (the gingerbread men, the holiday cookies and apples), but maybe there will be one or two new items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Another vote here for 11/12! I am interested in new decorations or disappearing (NOS anyone) decorations from past years. You know me - I'll be happy with whatever you are able to share.
TK -

You were in favor of 11/12 from the beginning, so it looks like 11/12 is the popular choice - just to be on the safe side and not miss anything that Disney may put out overnight in the wee hours.

You just know I will be making a checklist of anything I notice that has disappeared (NOS is right!) from the decorations. I am on the hunt for disappearing decorations all over DL! Toontown is another area I worry about - I have a feeling that things are going to be disappearing from there too. Something tells me that with the massive efforts put into BVS and CL this year, some other areas will suffer in terms of getting fewer decorations. Hopefully not, but Disney's habit is usually 'add something in; take something out.'

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 11-05-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #3274
StyledSugar
Love The Mouse

I'm another vote for 11/12!! My choices for your photos and reviews would be....

The Christmas Village in DTD. So excited about that!!!

Carsland decorations

Christmas treats (old and new.....just love seeing the pics! lol)

Merchandise -- anything with 2012 on it if possible. Christmas ornaments as well if possible.

Any little Christmas trees for sale. We are hoping to get one for the room and are hoping those little ones posted earlier in this thread are still available!! The prices too, if possible.

VERY excited to see your pictures and report afterwards!!!!

DLR: 1980, 1985, 1987, February 2006, September 2010, October-November 2011, Christmas/New Years 2012-2013

My wonderful family:
DH Me DD 15 DS 11
Old 11-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #3275
MyMuse
From here...to there!

Location: North NJ (I don't know any Sopranos! or Real Housewives!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E
Helllllloooooo, holiday season peeps!

Now...I need your help! I need you all to help me decide what to do. I am heading to DLR for the holiday season festivities sometime in the next week, on an info-gathering, photo-taking mission for this thread.

But...I don't know which day to go. Originally I was going to wait until the official opening day (Mon., 11/12). However, it looks as though many/most things will be running (including the new Jamboree) by Friday, 11/9. I can't be certain, though, that the characters in Winter Sweaters and holiday gear will be out before 11/12. All of the decorations should be up before 11/12, but I also cannot be certain that sneaky Disney won't suddenly put extra decorations up in the overnight hours between 11/9 and 11/12.

The only thing that looks for sure to not be open before 11/12 is the "Christmas village" surrounding the DTD ice skating rink. That is opening on 11/12.

So...should I wait until 11/12, when we know that everything for sure will be open and running? Or should I go on 11/9, 11/10 or 11/11, even if the Christmas village in DTD is not open yet?

And what info do you all want to know from this exploratory mission?

Let me know - I'm making a list (and checking it twice!)! I am on a mission for all of us!
I vote for 11/12 since that's when I'm there !!!!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #3276
tanyaewa
Just can't get enough!

Sherry - It definitely seems like you would wait until Nov 12 if possible! Better safe than sorry.

If you could keep an eye out for the best place to see Christmas stockings it would help me immensely when I am there next month. I am on a mission to help a neighbour find a stocking for her adopted daughter - to match the rest of the family. I need to know where I can find the most selection.....
TIA!

And thanks so much for all this amazing information. Without you I would have no idea how amazing our little 2 day trip will be at this time of year! I have read every word of this thread. You rock!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #3277
Belle Ella
DIS Veteran

Sherry, just go on the 12th and then find me on Buena Vista Street. Deal? Haha

And to tanyaewa on the DCA side at the moment at least, the best place to look for stockings or anything holiday related as far as decorations go would be Julius Katz & Sons on Buena Vista Street.

wish journalmy new blog
live well - laugh often - run disney
Old 11-05-2012, 01:22 AM   #3278
JediMasterNerd
Earning My Ears

Question

Sherry,

I have a challenge for you...

I would love to hear your thoughts on what exiciting things an 8-year old would want to see/experience beyond the usual rides/attractions/etc...

I'll admit that I would prefer NOT to see any pictures of the decorations... Merchandise, treats, etc would be great but with this being a first Christmas visit I'm hoping to minimize any spoilers... But I can just skip over the pictures posted after 11/12

Thanks!

J.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:36 AM   #3279
lurpee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMasterNerd
Sherry,

I'll admit that I would prefer NOT to see any pictures of the decorations... Merchandise, treats, etc would be great but with this being a first Christmas visit I'm hoping to minimize any spoilers... But I can just skip over the pictures posted after 11/12

Thanks!

J.
The studio my daughter does tumbling in has a dance team there for the Christmas Day Parade. One of the ladies posted a pic of the castle on Facebook and it's beautiful, I saved it on my phone even, but then had a little regret! Glad you were thinking ahead!

Old 11-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #3280
MinnieM21
I've been to Disneyland a billion times but I don't even know what WDW looks like! (psst...there are tons of pictures of WDW on the Internet!)
Loves to ride Bud Light with her mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapshappen View Post
I'd love to hear about this year's treats as well!

I really love the cupcakes at the Jolly Holiday Bakery (especially the one they had at Halloween, yum!) and would love to know what kind of seasonal cupcake is being offered.

Thanks so much for all of the photos and info!
Old 11-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #3281
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

It’s time for the Weekly Monday Countdown!!!

...Only 7 Days Until the
Holiday Season Begins at Disneyland Resort!!!!

And with the new week comes a new DLR holiday theme!!

As you know, I’ve been showcasing particular areas of interest of DLR's holiday celebration each week in anticipation of the official season start date on Monday, November 12, 2012!! We are now in the final stretch of this countdown! Today (11/5/12) showcases our last main weekly theme. Then, starting tomorrow, we will kick into warp speed with six ‘mini-themes’ which will be featured each day from 11/6 – 11/11. The final ‘Miscellaneous’ theme will come on Monday, November 12th (with a catchier name than “Miscellaneous,” though!).

Theme Week Countdowns are a great way to keep the photos rolling in on a regular basis and build anticipation for 11/12! Also, this is a way to display the different aspects and details of the holidays at DLR that may be totally new to some people...or previously unnoticed/undiscovered by others.

Last week, we sampled the delicious Treats and Treasures offered in the parks for the season. Prior to that, we admired the beauty of the many Christmas Trees around the Disneyland Resort. The week before that, we visited the playful, colorful, off-kilter world of Mickey’s Toontown. The week before that we reveled in the pageantry of A Christmas Fantasy Parade and gazed in awe at the Believe…In Holiday Magic Fireworks. Prior to that we enjoyed the Yuletide season around the globe as we sailed through It’s a Small World Holiday. The week before that strolled through the mysterious, music-filled alleys of New Orleans Square, where Christmas is observed with Mardi Gras flair. The week before that we explored Jack Skellington’s twisted (though well-meaning) vision of bringing two holidays together in the Haunted Mansion Holiday ride. The week before that we visited the rustic holiday celebration at Santa’s Reindeer Round-Up. The week before that, we searched for signs of Christmas in California Adventure – a park that is sure to look very different this November. And we started off this year’s countdown by soaking in the small town American charm of Main Street.

What’s next?

Today, we venture out of the parks and enjoy some of the decorations around the other areas of Disneyland Resort!

In the Spotlight this Week......

THE HOTELS OF THE DISNEYLAND RESORT
(Disneyland Hotel, Grand Californian Hotel & Paradise Pier Hotel)!!!

One of the wonderful aspects of the holiday season at the Disneyland Resort – and possibly one of the most overlooked – is the décor that you can find around the three Resort hotels: The Disneyland Hotel, the Paradise Pier Hotel and the Grand Californian Hotel. Each hotel has its own unique theme and ambiance.

Whether it’s the wacky, colorful, slightly off-kilter tree which greets guests at Goofy’s Kitchen in the Disneyland Hotel; the Dickens carolers performing by the enormous, elegantly rustic Christmas tree in the cozy Grand Californian Hotel lobby; or the gorgeous, glowing jewel tones of the majestic Paradise Pier tree, there are many amazing things to see which can get you in the holiday spirit!

One of the best things to do is to curl up on a comfortable sofa or in a chair to soak in the festive atmosphere at the Grand Californian, as a pianist and guitarist take turns entertaining the audience with Yuletide favorites. Santa Claus holds court by the tree, and there are PhotoPass photographers nearby to capture those special moments. Or, perhaps, snuggle up by the hearth with a loved one, sipping on hot cocoa.

Disneyland Hotel’s Santa Photo spot is a rather elaborate one, filled with reindeer decorations and even cookies and milk left by the fireplace.

The Christmas tree is the true highlight of the decorations at the Paradise Pier Hotel, but you can also find some colorful holiday touches near the PCH Grill and around the hotel property.

Anyone is welcome to visit the three Disneyland Resort hotels – you do not have to be an overnight guest to enjoy these offerings.

Stay tuned for a new theme starting tomorrow, November 6th. Some great themes are coming up in this final stretch of the countdown!

Disneyland Hotel:

This giant Mickey was not at the Disneyland Hotel in 2011 - will he make a return?

Paradise Pier Hotel:

Grand Californian Hotel:

Please feel free to post your holiday photos of the 3 hotels of the Disneyland Resort this week (including photos of the Christmas trees - even though we already covered that theme a couple of weeks ago)!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 11-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #3282
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StyledSugar View Post
I'm another vote for 11/12!! My choices for your photos and reviews would be....

The Christmas Village in DTD. So excited about that!!!

Carsland decorations

Christmas treats (old and new.....just love seeing the pics! lol)

Merchandise -- anything with 2012 on it if possible. Christmas ornaments as well if possible.

Any little Christmas trees for sale. We are hoping to get one for the room and are hoping those little ones posted earlier in this thread are still available!! The prices too, if possible.

VERY excited to see your pictures and report afterwards!!!!
StyledSugar -

I will keep watch for those little trees! I think they're adorable, and they come in that green canister for mailing! You know, I first spotted those cute trees in 2010 (the pictures I posted of them here last week were from November and December 2010). I'm not sure if they had been on sale during previous years' seasons and I somehow didn't see them, but I tend to think they were not really around until 2010. At that point, I saw them in quite a few stores - they were in the Emporium, in one or two of the hotels' gift shops, in Marceline's Confectionery and in the main shop in Frontierland.

Last year I didn't get a chance to look around and really see if the tiny trees were still as prolific as they had been the year prior. I know they were still being sold because I saw them in other folks' photos. I just don't know if they were in as many places. I have to think that those trees are very popular, and if they were not being sold again this year there would probably be something else very similar.

They even had Halloween versions of the mini-tree at one point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMuse View Post
I vote for 11/12 since that's when I'm there !!!!

MyMuse -

It's looking like 11/12 will be the day. It's supposed to rain this weekend - I hope it doesn't get delayed and decide to rain on 11/12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyaewa View Post
Sherry - It definitely seems like you would wait until Nov 12 if possible! Better safe than sorry.

If you could keep an eye out for the best place to see Christmas stockings it would help me immensely when I am there next month. I am on a mission to help a neighbour find a stocking for her adopted daughter - to match the rest of the family. I need to know where I can find the most selection.....
TIA!

And thanks so much for all this amazing information. Without you I would have no idea how amazing our little 2 day trip will be at this time of year! I have read every word of this thread. You rock!
tanyaewa -

Thank you so much for the kind words. I'm glad this thread has been of help. You will have a wonderful trip.

I will look for the stockings - especially in the shop that Jessica/Belle Ella suggested (Julus Katz & Sons)! I would imagine (or would hope) that the shops on Buena Vista Street would have an interesting selection of stockings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle Ella View Post
Sherry, just go on the 12th and then find me on Buena Vista Street. Deal? Haha

And to tanyaewa on the DCA side at the moment at least, the best place to look for stockings or anything holiday related as far as decorations go would be Julius Katz & Sons on Buena Vista Street.
Hi, Jessica!

I think that 11/12 looks like the day. I don't want to miss the Christmas village in DTD, and I can't be certain that it will be open before 11/12. I will be roaming Cars Land and Buena Vista Street like a madwoman, trying to absorb every bit of holiday-ness. You'll definitely see me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMasterNerd View Post
Sherry,

I have a challenge for you...

I would love to hear your thoughts on what exiciting things an 8-year old would want to see/experience beyond the usual rides/attractions/etc...

Thanks!

J.
JediMasterNerd -

I've taken into consideration that there are probably quite a few folks who do not want to see too many of the decorations - especially the new stuff.

What I think I will do is - instead of posting the photos in order of when they were taken (like I would do in a trip report) - separate the photos into different posts after I go to DLR on 11/12. Like, for example, I will do a post with photos of treats or anything food-related. Then I will do a post or two of any merchandise or holiday collectibles. Then I'll do a post or two or three with some the new Cars Land/Buena Vista Street stuff. And I will be sure to say, "Cars Land/Buena Vista Street photos are next," just to give people fair warning if they want to turn away and not see anything. I'll be sure to announce what it is I am posting to give everyone a chance to escape before seeing the pictures.

Now, let's see...as for the 8-year-old... I'm guessing that the Jedi Training Academy is already an obvious choice!?

I would have suggested to be sure to see the reindeer at the Round-Up, but seeing as it doesn't sound like there will be any reindeer there this year, I guess that particular thing is out of the question. However, I still think that the Jamboree (which was supposed to be called the Holly Jolly Jamboree and then was switched to the Jingle Jangle Jamboree) will be a fun place to take kids. I think there might be some fun games or crafts back there, as well as characters - and that is one of the locations for meeting Santa.

In fact, if Santa is popular with the 8-year-old, then make sure to visit him in both parks and in all 3 hotels.

Hmmm...what else? That Pirates League thing in New Orleans Square is not running through the holidays, it appears (at least I don't think so), or I would have suggested that.

Pirates Lair (formerly Tom Sawyer's Island) is something that a lot of folks probably don't do, so that's fun for exploring.

Always, always keep an eye out for hidden Mickeys! There's the snowdrift hidden Mickey on the floor of the ballroom scene in Haunted Mansion Holiday (off to the right side of the room). There are hidden Mickeys in the window displays at Ramone's House of Body Art in Cars Land. There are hidden Mickeys in the queue for the Little Mermaid ride.

I'll keep thinking and maybe I'll come up with something else - or maybe someone else in this thread will think of some good ideas for 8-year-olds too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieM21 View Post
I'd love to hear about this year's treats as well!

I really love the cupcakes at the Jolly Holiday Bakery (especially the one they had at Halloween, yum!) and would love to know what kind of seasonal cupcake is being offered.

Thanks so much for all of the photos and info!

MinnieM21 -

I would imagine that there will be some fun holiday cupcakes at Jolly Holiday and a few other places around the parks. It seems that with Cars Land and Buena Vista Street being new at DCA, there must be at least a couple of new holiday treats too. Even the Christmas village in DTD is supposed to sell seasonal treats, so I will have to survey the selection and see if there is anything festive and different than what's in the parks.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #3283
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Great theme day!
Grand Californian Hotel
Arrival:

Festive auto:

I spent a very enjoyable 1/2 hour with this group:

White Water Snacks:

I can't do this tree justice:

Last edited by tksbaskets; 11-05-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #3284
jkh1978
DIS Veteran

Why did they say there would be CO dinging plans and then no dining plans?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #3285
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

TK -

Thank you for posting your photos! I was beginning to think my theme was totally ignored for today! I know I can always count on you!

jkh1978 -

You mean for the Candlelight Processional? Who said there wouldn't be any packages? Was that discussed in this thread and I somehow missed it?

The last thing I saw about the CP was tonight, on the DLR website. I got an e-mail with a link to the page for Annual Passholders. More info on how AP holders can enter the contest is coming next Monday, 11/12.

If Disney is reserving seats for AP holders who win the contests, maybe they decided to not sell packages? Or maybe they are still setting aside very few seats for those who pay for packages. I'm not sure. All I know is, from what I saw of the CP seating at DL last year, they don't have room for too many people - so not too many people will be able to win that sweepstakes and see the CP.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: