Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #3106
jkh1978
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerlilyAJ View Post
On Monday, Nov 12, they are at noon and 3:15pm. I don't know if they would offer more per day, say, on a weekend day or in the holiday crunch time.
HTH!
Probably CP will change that too when we are there.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #3107
HeyItsNickCA
Mouseketeer

Hello everyone,

I have a question and I'm sure someone has gone through the same experience and can answer my question. My father had a heart attack and had open heart surgery last night, we have had plans to visit to Disneyland in December 2012 and here is my first question: For anyone who has had family who have had a 5-way bypass, how long does recovery take? Do you think it is pretty much out of the question for him to go on vacation with us (December 3-7.) Should we start cancelling everything?

If he can still go, any advice on making the trip as pleasant as possible?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #3108
Escape2Disney
Friendly Neighborhood Disney Fanatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyItsNickCA View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a question and I'm sure someone has gone through the same experience and can answer my question. My father had a heart attack and had open heart surgery last night, we have had plans to visit to Disneyland in December 2012 and here is my first question: For anyone who has had family who have had a 5-way bypass, how long does recovery take? Do you think it is pretty much out of the question for him to go on vacation with us (December 3-7.) Should we start cancelling everything?

I'm sorry your father has to go through all of this. I hope he is feeling better soon.

My step-father had the same surgery last year, and it took him over 6 months to show serious signs of improvement. That being said, his overall health is very poor and he's significantly overweight. Your father may have a better time of things.

If you have a while before you have to cancel, I'd say wait a few weeks to see where things are. Unfortunately I think it'd be a little too soon to travel to Disney in early December.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #3109
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Quote:
Hello everyone,

First of all I hope your father's recovery goes well!!

Second.....that kind of question would be best asked of the doctors that are caring for him. He may have restrictions for traveling/flying for a while.

I'm sorry you may have to cancel, but having your father well would have to make it worth while!!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

Old 10-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #3110
frankcastle
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape2Disney View Post
I'm sorry your father has to go through all of this. I hope he is feeling better soon.

My step-father had the same surgery last year, and it took him over 6 months to show serious signs of improvement. That being said, his overall health is very poor and he's significantly overweight. Your father may have a better time of things.

If you have a while before you have to cancel, I'd say wait a few weeks to see where things are. Unfortunately I think it'd be a little too soon to travel to Disney in early December.
Sorry to her about your father, I have some very recent experience(last two months) with this but would like to know how old and what type of shape is he in? I wish him a speedy recovery and best wish to the family...I understand.

Frank
Old 10-18-2012, 02:32 AM   #3111
kswm30b
DIS Veteran

Info on the decorations in Carsland and BVS :
http://t.co/oa6fbSku

Like I said earlier, I'm a little sad that I won't get to see Carsland as it normally is, but hopefully they'll do it up enough that I'll like it, lol. Plus, another excuse to come back. I can't tell from the article if Mickey and friends will stay in their normal retro outfits or retro Christmas outfits. I really hope it's the normal BVS outfits, since I'm dying to meet them in those outfits.

My Disney scrapbook albums: 2007 / 2003-2007 day trips / digital (14 trips, 2007-2012 layouts)

Pics of all the Characters I've met at Disney: I Love Characters!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #3112
BensDaddy
Graduate of Goofy's Flight School

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswm30b
http://t.co/oa6fbSkuLike I said earlier, I'm a little sad that I won't get to see Carsland as it normally is, but hopefully they'll do it up enough that I'll like it, lol.
I have to agree. I'm a little disappointed that Radiator Springs will be "Christmas themed" considering I've never seen it normal. :-(
Old 10-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #3113
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswm30b View Post
http://t.co/oa6fbSku

Like I said earlier, I'm a little sad that I won't get to see Carsland as it normally is, but hopefully they'll do it up enough that I'll like it, lol. Plus, another excuse to come back. I can't tell from the article if Mickey and friends will stay in their normal retro outfits or retro Christmas outfits. I really hope it's the normal BVS outfits, since I'm dying to meet them in those outfits.
Heather -

Please allow me to give you a big cyber for sharing that link. I didn't see that you had posted it until this morning, and you've already made my day! Thank you so much!

If all of this info from SK is accurate, this is the most detailed account of the new DCA decorations that we have gotten so far! This is waaaaaay more detailed than anything put out by the Disney Parks Blog, which really told us very little recently (they only said that the businesses specifically along Route 66 would be decorated, and not much else).

I have such a big smile on my face over this report. You just can't imagine! I love Christmas - and Christmas and DLR - soooo much that I am bursting with joy!

First of all - Snowy the Snow Car? I can't wait!!!

The description of Buena Vista Street's celebration is exactly what I would want, and what I would imagine as being the scenario when my grandmother was living in L.A./Hollywood in the '30s. I only wish she were alive so I could ask her if the decorations on BVS are authentic-looking!

Also, I was taken to see Santa in department stores as a very young child in L.A. (such as Broadway, Orbach's, May Company), and that was the norm, so putting him in the Elias store seems to be a stroke of genius! I totally expected that Santa would be set up outside by the main Christmas tree in town.

I know that you and some others are unhappy about the decorations being in Cars Land so soon, before you've been able to see it in its natural state - and I'm still shocked that they are going this 'all out' so soon.

But trust me when I say that this is a good thing...a very, very good thing, because DCA has been lacking a lot of holiday cheer for a while, as it paled in DL's shadow. And Disney continues to strip away little bits and pieces of the decor for both Halloween Time and Christmas (I'm still not sure if New Orleans Square and Toontown will be decorated this year). Anything they can do to add to the mix is a step in the right direction!

I'm even excited about the colors on Mickey's Fun Wheel - that's something they could have done in DCA last year and never did.

I am thrilled and soooooo excited about this coming season. The only thing I wish we had in SoCal to make it better is real snow!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 10-18-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #3114
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hello everyone,

My husband's heart surgery was much milder, but took place just before Thanksgiving and we still went to Disneyland for Christmas.

My advice is to ask your doctor what his or her opinion is, and what restrictions he or she may have. Whatever we may say is strictly speculation.

Quote:
I would advise renting a mobility scooter from a local service for the week, particularly if you are staying off-site--in this case, I would think it would be better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. It will give him a place to sit for the "standing room only shows"

If it doesn't seem like he'd be up for a lot of "ride" riding, do more shows and parades. My family and I went to Disneyland last Christmas, and we spent our last day just doing shows and parades--we had a wonderful time.

Make sure you always go back for a nap in the middle of the day, and stay on Harbor or at one of the on-site hotels. (Don't feel like you need to break the bank here--remember, the Park Place Inn is closer to the parks than the Disneyland Hotel)

It might be worth it to pay extra for dinner shows or picnics that will get you preferred seating for the nighttime shows, and, absolutely above all, you need to stop by Guest Services and get a guest assistance pass.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #3115
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Good news!

I heard back from Erin at the Disney Parks Blog (she is the one who has done many of the great Blogs that we've seen recently), and she said that there will once again be New Orleans Square and Toontown decorations this year.

I wasn't quite sure at first - her blog that included "Returning Favorites" didn't mention those areas, and they are a major part of the seasonal decor. She said she was mainly trying to hit the highlights in the blog and not really give a comprehensive list. But, in any case, yes - those two areas will once again have their wonderful themed decorations (which means the gorgeous Mardi Gras-inspired masks; the themed wreaths and garland in Toontown, etc.).

So it looks like we might just be missing out on the reindeer this year and not much else! Santa will still be in DL and in DCA. We're getting an ice rink in Downtown Disney and a Christmas village, and we're getting the fabulous Cars Land and Buena Vista Street decor and entertainment!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 10-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #3116
6Smiles
DIS Veteran

Sherry -

Fabulous news! Looks like we are going just in time before they start charging for the party. Had to cut back the trip from 2 weeks to 1 week and while a little bit disappointed I am just so happy we get to go back and at Christmas time too!
Old 10-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #3117
WorldOfColorful
Earning My Ears

Sad about the reindeer, but everything else sounds wonderful!
Old 10-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #3118
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Smiles View Post
Sherry -

Fabulous news! Looks like we are going just in time before they start charging for the party. Had to cut back the trip from 2 weeks to 1 week and while a little bit disappointed I am just so happy we get to go back and at Christmas time too!
Hi, Kris!

I remember reading somewhere - cannot recall in whose thread - that you had to adapt your plans a bit and cut down the time frame. One week is still wonderful, though! That is plenty of time to soak in all the holiday magic!

Believe me, if I could rewind the clock and somehow take my fantastic deal at the PPH that I got last year and use it for this year's trip instead, I would be all over it. I'd want as much time as possible.

You are correct! This is a good year to get in a nice, long holiday trip to DLR - before a party kicks in and the snow, fireworks and parade possibly become party exclusives until the actual week of Christmas! Who knows what could be happening next year?

After seeing the link to the Stitch Kingdom article that Heather posted last night, and seeing how extensive and detailed the whole set-up is going to be in both Cars Land and on Buena Vista Street, I was thinking, "Oh dear...I hope that Toontown and New Orleans Square won't suffer for it and lose all of their decor." It always seems like something disappears when other things get added in. I was very relieved to hear that those lands will be as they usually are for the holidays!

Old 10-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #3119
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

Quote:
For anyone who has had family who have had a 5-way bypass, how long does recovery take? Do you think it is pretty much out of the question for him to go on vacation with us (December 3-7.) Should we start cancelling everything?
I had an employee who shares my love of Disney have a heart attack and have the 5-way. This happened mid August. He has just started back to work part time, and is hoping to be well enough to take in Disneyland by NYE. He is in his mid 40s. They say he is ahead of the schedule they predicted.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #3120
jkh1978
DIS Veteran

I read somewhere that there was a tree decorating contest last year between the businesses of downtown disney? Is this a tradition? Are they worth going specifically to check out? Are they outside or in each store?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: