Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #3031
NMDisneyMom
Mouseketeer

Surprise Trip in the Works

So, I've been reading all the wonderful posts, taking in the beautiful pictures, and getting more and more excited about the surprise I have planned for my DD(8). After numerous other trips to DL (last one before and after our MR Cruise is March), we are headed back 12/31-1/6. To say I'm excited to see the holiday decorations is an understatment (and I think everyone at work is ready for the trip to be here and gone!) I know to expect crowds, but I think with as many days as I've got planned, we should be able to see/do most everything we want to - Carsland being at the top of the list. DD says: "Mommy how soon can be go back to Disneyland and see Carsland?" I say: "Maybe next summer."

So, now I'm planning the Christmas morning surprise present. DD loves churros (I think she tried to eat all that DL had last time). So I'm thinking about giving her a giftcard with a note that says "For Churros" and a picture of her favorite ride, Haunted Mansion. Then she only has 7 days to wait before we leave. What do you think?

I've surprised her before (one trip to DL for Halloween and a DCL cruise to the Bahamas). But she never seems to suspect when I've got something planned, and when she finally figures it out, her face is priceless.

Can't wait to read more as the time gets closer.
Disney Magic, 5/2009, 7 day Eastern ** Disney Dream, 6/2011, 5 day Bahamas ** Disneyland/Disney Wonder, 3/2012, 7 day MR ** Disney Fantasy, 3/2013, 7 day Eastern ** Next up: 2015 Fantasy B2B (July 2015)

Disneyland - 2/2006, 4/2008, 10/2009, 3/2010, 7/2010, 9/2010, 3/2012, 1/2013
WDW - 2014 and 1st DVC stay!

Old 10-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #3032
DisneytheKid
A bad attempt at Billy the Kid

Hi everyone,

So we had to push our trip back by a week and are now going from Jan 6th-8th. Does anyone know if the Haunted Mansion is closed after the 6th for remodel? Are there any other rides we should expect to be closed to remove the holiday theming?

Thanks for the responses
Countless times during the 80's and 90's
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #3033
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMDisneyMom View Post
So, I've been reading all the wonderful posts, taking in the beautiful pictures, and getting more and more excited about the surprise I have planned for my DD(8). After numerous other trips to DL (last one before and after our MR Cruise is March), we are headed back 12/31-1/6. To say I'm excited to see the holiday decorations is an understatment (and I think everyone at work is ready for the trip to be here and gone!) I know to expect crowds, but I think with as many days as I've got planned, we should be able to see/do most everything we want to - Carsland being at the top of the list. DD says: "Mommy how soon can be go back to Disneyland and see Carsland?" I say: "Maybe next summer."

So, now I'm planning the Christmas morning surprise present. DD loves churros (I think she tried to eat all that DL had last time). So I'm thinking about giving her a giftcard with a note that says "For Churros" and a picture of her favorite ride, Haunted Mansion. Then she only has 7 days to wait before we leave. What do you think?

I've surprised her before (one trip to DL for Halloween and a DCL cruise to the Bahamas). But she never seems to suspect when I've got something planned, and when she finally figures it out, her face is priceless.

That sounds wonderful. I love the Disney commercials where young children are told they are going to DL or WDW. Let us know the look on her face

Sherry - glad you like the pictures. It was a beautiful day and I love how our parade viewing in the afternoon was right when they came from behind the scenes.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #3034
bjmbr1223
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
How little are your children. Many youngsters were on our tour and enjoyed the rides and the seating.

DO the Carnation Cafe. You won't be sorry. Have a pot pie and the soup for me. YUM.
I have DS9 and DD5. Don't know if they would be too young for the holiday tour. I am hoping that we have the money to do it if we think they can handle it.
I think we just might make it to Carnation Cafe. My taste buds are reving up.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #3035
Here4mydisneyfix
Andrew Sutton, you genious man, you! She will remember the Rose forever...

Hi everyone! The hubs and I just got back from our first ever Halloween trip sans kiddos a few days ago and loved it, besides the INSANE crowds!! We were planning on returning next year with the kids for Halloween time, but now I am actually thinking maybe Christmas season might be better! For those with experience in the Christmas season, I have a question for ya! DH works in retail, so anytime after Thanksgiving until after new years is a no-go for vacation time for us, so that leaves the the week before Thanksgiving (the first week of Christmas time) or the week after Christmas (last week of Christmas time). We are not crowd people...this Halloween season just about did us in! So of these two options, what is the best time to go for Christmas time? First or last week, or are both insane?? No experience here! Thanks everyone!!
Old 10-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #3036
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneytheKid View Post
Hi everyone,

So we had to push our trip back by a week and are now going from Jan 6th-8th. Does anyone know if the Haunted Mansion is closed after the 6th for remodel? Are there any other rides we should expect to be closed to remove the holiday theming?

Thanks for the responses
DisneytheKid -

As far as I know (based on previous patterns - but then again, this year seems to be breaking a few typical DLR patterns, so who knows?), Haunted Mansion Holiday will shut down (after DL closes for the night) late on 1/6/13/early 1/7/13 for the removal of the holiday overlay, and stay down for the next 2 or 3 weeks.

Maybe tksbaskets can verify if that info is correct, as she has done a couple of DLR trips that extended through that time frame!

IASW Holiday should still remain open all the way to mid-January (like somewhere close to MLK Day).

I am not sure if the Storybook Land ride closes immediately after that time to remove its tiny decorations. Right now that ride is closed, but it will open for the holiday season.

I am also not sure if the Holly Jolly Jamboree/Reindeer Round-Up closes immediately after 1/6/13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here4mydisneyfix View Post
Hi everyone! The hubs and I just got back from our first ever Halloween trip sans kiddos a few days ago and loved it, besides the INSANE crowds!! We were planning on returning next year with the kids for Halloween time, but now I am actually thinking maybe Christmas season might be better! For those with experience in the Christmas season, I have a question for ya! DH works in retail, so anytime after Thanksgiving until after new years is a no-go for vacation time for us, so that leaves the the week before Thanksgiving (the first week of Christmas time) or the week after Christmas (last week of Christmas time). We are not crowd people...this Halloween season just about did us in! So of these two options, what is the best time to go for Christmas time? First or last week, or are both insane?? No experience here! Thanks everyone!!
Here4mydisneyfix -

Hello, and welcome! I'm glad you made it over to this thread! I remember your posts in the Halloween thread. I'm so glad to see that you had a great time, despite the huge crowds!

Christmas season is 100 times better in terms of overall decorations and seasonal immersion. If you like Christmas, you should love DLR at Christmas time!

I think I'd go with the November week. The holiday season will either officially begin on 11/8, 11/11 or 11/15 in 2013, and probably go through 1/5/14. The hotels may not be decorated yet (sometimes they don't get decorated until Thanksgiving weekend), but as long as the season is officially underway, everything else should be in place. It may still be a bit crowded, but you are limited in your choices of weeks so I think that may be the better choice.

If you are saying that the second option is to go after New Year's (when your DH is free from work), it will not only still be crowded, most likely, but you may also miss out on a few little seasonal things here and there (like Santa could possibly disappear from his photos spots, for example). Also, Disney is so sneaky that we assume the holiday season will be in effect through January 5, 2014, but they could always pull a fast one and end it mid-week. You never know with them.

So I choose your November option because at least you won't miss out on much of anything, as long as it's after the official start date!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 10-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #3037
julieheyer
Crazy for the Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMDisneyMom

I would like to be your daughter. I'm 43, but a well behaved little girl

Past trips: Mar. 2013, Nov 2012, Oct. 2011, Mar. 2009, June 2006... Can't remember before that!
Old 10-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #3038
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

I'm just so excited to plan our trip and am not-so-patiently awaiting park hours and details so I can do that! I paid off the last of our vacation today and made dining reservations. I guess I'll start my PTR report now, since there's not much else to do. I CAN'T WAIT!!!
Old 10-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #3039
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

It took almost an hour, but here's the first part of my PTR. Stop in, say hi and share in the fun!
WE'RE CANCELLING CHRISTMAS (Take 2)
Old 10-12-2012, 01:23 AM   #3040
lurpee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixleyyy
I'm just so excited to plan our trip and am not-so-patiently awaiting park hours and details so I can do that! I paid off the last of our vacation today and made dining reservations. I guess I'll start my PTR report now, since there's not much else to do. I CAN'T WAIT!!!
When are you going?

Old 10-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #3041
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurpee View Post
When are you going?
Dec. 4-8. That's one month, 3 weeks and 2 days from now!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #3042
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

This is not official - and quite a ways back in this thread I posted a partial list of some of the sources of Disney information that are official and unofficial, so that when 'news' comes in we know whether we can trust it 100% or not - but I saw on MouseInfo last night that they are "hearing" that the reindeer are staying "at the North Pole" this year and will not be at the Round-Up (which is now going to be called the Holly Jolly Jamboree).

When Santa's Holly Jolly Jamboree was mentioned in the recent Disney Parks Blog post about the holiday season, someone asked a question in the Comments section about the reindeer returning...and that part of the question was ignored by Erin, the person who wrote the blog. I thought it was suspicious.

Then, my own comment - which was written and submitted very soon after the Blog first went up on the Parks Blog site - focused on the omission of New Orleans Square's themed decor as well as Toon Town's decor from the list of the supposed "Returning Favorites." I thought it may have been an oversight, and that Erin just didn't think to mention it because it is assumed that those lands will be decorated every year. With Disney, however, and their bad habit of removing things when they add new things in...you just never know.

Not only was my comment/question never posted (but meanwhile, some folks got more than one comment in), but my question was never answered.

So...I am guessing that the reindeer are gone forever, even though we have not yet gotten any official confirmation. That's really too bad because the Reindeer Round-Up was a real gem of the holiday season, and a large part of that was because of the reindeer.

I am assuming that the Holly Jolly Jamboree is going to be the same sort of set-up like what the current Halloween set-up is, except minus the 'conjure up a Villain' tent. In fact, I wonder if the Winter sweater-clad characters will be removed from Town Square (as the Halloween costume-clad characters have been removed from Town Square this year) and forced back into the Jamboree.

Who knows what's happening with New Orleans Square's & Toon Town's decorations?

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 10-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #3043
Here4mydisneyfix
Andrew Sutton, you genious man, you! She will remember the Rose forever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
DisneytheKid -

Here4mydisneyfix -

Hello, and welcome! I'm glad you made it over to this thread! I remember your posts in the Halloween thread. I'm so glad to see that you had a great time, despite the huge crowds!

Christmas season is 100 times better in terms of overall decorations and seasonal immersion. If you like Christmas, you should love DLR at Christmas time!

I think I'd go with the November week. The holiday season will either officially begin on 11/8, 11/11 or 11/15 in 2013, and probably go through 1/5/14. The hotels may not be decorated yet (sometimes they don't get decorated until Thanksgiving weekend), but as long as the season is officially underway, everything else should be in place. It may still be a bit crowded, but you are limited in your choices of weeks so I think that may be the better choice.

If you are saying that the second option is to go after New Year's (when your DH is free from work), it will not only still be crowded, most likely, but you may also miss out on a few little seasonal things here and there (like Santa could possibly disappear from his photos spots, for example). Also, Disney is so sneaky that we assume the holiday season will be in effect through January 5, 2014, but they could always pull a fast one and end it mid-week. You never know with them.

So I choose your November option because at least you won't miss out on much of anything, as long as it's after the official start date!
Thanks for the insight Sherry! I really appreciate all of your awesome Disney knowledge! I am thinking the first week will be better too, however, it all depends on if DH can get it off work or not. I did ask if he could for sure last night and he said it is cutting it close (to Thanksgiving/Black Friday) and vacation is doled out on a case by case basis during that time. Crossing fingers! I sure would love to see it at Christmas too!! To hear that decor is 100 times better gets me all giddy! I love, love LOVE the sweet themes they add to the park. Having never seen Halloween time before, what they did this year was incredible to me (I know it seems less than to the rest of ya!), I can only imagine CHRISTMAS time!! Squeal!! Here's hoping they start on the 8th next year! I am thinking we will have a MUCH better chance of getting to take vacation then rather than if it starts later on!

Last edited by Here4mydisneyfix; 10-12-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #3044
Priory
DIS Veteran

I am getting antsy to put my trip together. I have flights, hotel, and shuttle from the airport. However, it's driving me nuts that I can't piece everything else together.

I can't really plan anything until I know how the Candlelight Processional is going to work. I need to know what show I can get into and based on that book my Christmas Tour/parade viewing, plan Fireworks viewing, and make dining reservations accordingly.

It's under two months from now and I just want to have everything planned and confirmed. I'm a little nuts that way.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #3045
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priory
I can't really plan anything until I know how the Candlelight Processional is going to work. I need to know what show I can get into and based on that book my Christmas Tour/parade viewing, plan Fireworks viewing, and make dining reservations accordingly.
It's very hard to plan without more information about Candlelight. It would almost be better if Disney had not even announced there would be dinner packages.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: