Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #2986
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Didn't have time to read back.....but does anyone have info regarding how they're handling the CP?? Does that mean, no night time parade or fireworks with it running nightly?? Will they do it after park closing?? Did I read right......available only to AP holders & their guest(s)??

This has me really stumped and with this only 2 months away, you'd think they'd be positing information on this.
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

Old 10-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #2987
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

As the leaves fall and a slight chill in the air can be felt, we know that Autumn has settled in and Halloween is on its way. But, here in the Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread, it's Monday, and you know what that means.....

It’s time for the Weekly Monday Countdown!!!

...Only 35 Days Until the
Holiday Season Begins at Disneyland Resort!!!!

And with the new week comes a new DLR holiday theme!!

As I’ve mentioned, I’m showcasing a particular area of interest of DLR's holiday celebration each week until the 2012 season officially begins on Monday, November 12th!! There are many more themes to come over the next six weeks, including 5 main weekly themes every Monday, 6 ‘mini-themes’ which will be featured each day from 11/6 – 11/11, and a final ‘Miscellaneous’ theme on Monday, November 12th (with a catchier name than “Miscellaneous,” though!).

Theme Week Countdowns are a great way to keep the photos rolling in on a regular basis and build anticipation for 11/12! Also, this is a way to display the different aspects and details of the holidays at DLR that may be totally new to some people...or previously unnoticed/undiscovered by others.

Last week we enjoyed the Yuletide season around the globe as we sailed through It’s a Small World Holiday. The week before that strolled through the mysterious, music-filled alleys of New Orleans Square, where Christmas is observed with Mardi Gras flair. The week before that we explored Jack Skellington’s twisted (though well-meaning) vision of bringing two holidays together in the Haunted Mansion Holiday ride. The week before that we visited the rustic holiday celebration at Santa’s Reindeer Round-Up. The week before that, we searched for signs of Christmas in California Adventure – a park that is sure to look very different this November. The week before that we soaked in the small town American charm of Main Street.

What’s next?

In the Spotlight this Week......

A CHRISTMAS FANTASY PARADE and
BELIEVE…IN HOLIDAY MAGIC FIREWORKS!!!

Almost nothing says “Disneyland” more than a parade. Disneyland’s parades are a longtime staple of the Happiest Place on Earth, and they bring smiles to the people who stop and watch these joyful processions.

A Christmas Fantasy Parade is no different. Most of your favorite and beloved Disney characters are decked out in their holiday finery, and they are joined by a familiar figure in a white beard and red suit as they march and frolic down the street. Gingerbread men with flattened, burnt bottoms, reindeer, toy soldiers and chubby-cheeked snowmen also dance along to the happy music that will have you tapping your feet. In fact, anyone who has seen A Christmas Fantasy Parade can probably still hum the melody of its catchy theme song.

Another event that says “Disneyland” is fireworks. Bundle up with your loved ones and a cup of hot cocoa and enjoy the splashes of green and red that dot the sky during the Believe…In Holiday Magic show. This very moving show is sure to bring a tear to your eye, both because of the holiday music and the overall message of the narration. The fireworks culminate in the Winter Castle and the trees surrounding the hub becoming aglow in ‘icicles.’ For the finale, tiny flecks of snow fall on Main Street, at Small World Mall and near New Orleans Square, and a faint trace of freshly baked holiday treats fills the air.

If you are visiting Disneyland Resort for the holiday season, don’t leave without seeing these two annual traditions – A Christmas Fantasy Parade and Believe…In Holiday Magic Fireworks!

Stay tuned for a new theme starting on Monday, October 15th!! Some of my favorite themes are coming up over the next several weeks.

A Christmas Fantasy Parade…

Believe…In Holiday Magic Fireworks…

Please feel free to post your holiday photos of A Christmas Fantasy Parade and Believe…In Holiday Magic Fireworks all this week!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #2988
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
Didn't have time to read back.....but does anyone have info regarding how they're handling the CP?? Does that mean, no night time parade or fireworks with it running nightly?? Will they do it after park closing?? Did I read right......available only to AP holders & their guest(s)??

This has me really stumped and with this only 2 months away, you'd think they'd be positing information on this.
Laurie -

You were posting as I was working on this week's theme. I didn't see your questions until I had already posted, and when I tried to reply to you my PC froze up.

Anyway, unless something new has come out that I have not yet seen, as far as I know from what the Parks Blog has been hinting at, no one really knows how the CP will be handled yet. I think that anyone can buy dinner packages but the AP people may have priority or they may get a discount. There may even be some viewing available for free for the AP holders. I'm not sure yet. The CP will happen twice per night, I think, and it will be during regular park hours - the park will not close before the CP (not this year, anyway).

I think the fireworks and parade would be worked around the CP times. A big part of the highlights of the season is the snow on Main Street at the end of the fireworks - if DLR took that away in favor of the CP, I think the crowds would revolt. I just think the parade and fireworks times will shift a bit.

Now next year is the year where everything may change, if there is a Christmas party on the horizon. That's when the parade, fireworks, snow and CP may become party exclusives.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 10-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #2989
nicolispicoli
DIS Veteran

Sorry if this has been asked, but I haven't been able to check the whole thread. Last year we went on Veterans Day weekend, I think 11/11-11/16...so we were able to enjoy the start of holidaytime. I remember there being soft openings for holiday fireworks, etc. starting on Friday, but for the life of me, I can't remember if IASW was lit up during that time before Monday. I never really ventured back there until Monday when we had our holiday tour and it was for sure lit up and open.

Basically, I'll be at DLR one day on 11/9 (the only day I can go to the park) and would LOVE to see IASW lit up. It's my favorite thing to see at DLR during holidaytime. I don't care if we ride it or anything, just want to see all the beautiful lights. Does anyone remember if it was lit up before the official start date of holidaytime?? I can't imagine it just sits back there dark, but since it's not open, I guess that could happen. I have a very small recollection of being on the monorail prior to the official start date and it was lit up. But I am hoping someone else can help...Thanks!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #2990
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Laurie -

You were posting as I was working on this week's theme. I didn't see your questions until I had already posted, and when I tried to reply to you my PC froze up.

Anyway, unless something new has come out that I have not yet seen, as far as I know from what the Parks Blog has been hinting at, no one really knows how the CP will be handled yet. I think that anyone can buy dinner packages but the AP people may have priority or they may get a discount. There may even be some viewing available for free for the AP holders. I'm not sure yet. The CP will happen twice per night, I think, and it will be during regular park hours - the park will not close before the CP (not this year, anyway).

I think the fireworks and parade would be worked around the CP times. A big part of the highlights of the season is the snow on Main Street at the end of the fireworks - if DLR took that away in favor of the CP, I think the crowds would revolt. I just think the parade and fireworks times will shift a bit.

Now next year is the year where everything may change, if there is a Christmas party on the horizon. That's when the parade, fireworks, snow and CP may become party exclusives.
Wow, I'm having a hard time seeing how they could run the CP with the park open! What a logistics nightmare!!! I was thinking maybe they'd run it after the park closes.......but yikes, to run it during opening AND to do it twice?????? I don't think they know how they're doing it yet.....lol Would explain why the calendar/park hours only goes into Nov.

Well, it will be interesting how they'll handle doing the CP, parade, fireworks and crowd flow with that all happening in the same general area and times.
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

Old 10-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #2991
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolispicoli View Post
Sorry if this has been asked, but I haven't been able to check the whole thread. Last year we went on Veterans Day weekend, I think 11/11-11/16...so we were able to enjoy the start of holidaytime. I remember there being soft openings for holiday fireworks, etc. starting on Friday, but for the life of me, I can't remember if IASW was lit up during that time before Monday. I never really ventured back there until Monday when we had our holiday tour and it was for sure lit up and open.

Basically, I'll be at DLR one day on 11/9 (the only day I can go to the park) and would LOVE to see IASW lit up. It's my favorite thing to see at DLR during holidaytime. I don't care if we ride it or anything, just want to see all the beautiful lights. Does anyone remember if it was lit up before the official start date of holidaytime?? I can't imagine it just sits back there dark, but since it's not open, I guess that could happen. I have a very small recollection of being on the monorail prior to the official start date and it was lit up. But I am hoping someone else can help...Thanks!
nicolispicoli -

Coincidentally, this was just discussed on the previous page or two of this thread!

I think that IASWH will be running by 11/9 this year. It typically soft opens a few days before the official season start date. Last year it soft opened (the season began on 11/14 and I think IASWH was open on 11/11).

Now I don't know if IASWH will open in the daytime on 11/9 or if it will open after dark, but I'm pretty sure you will see it. I think the holiday fireworks will be happening too - it's just that the snow at the end of the fireworks may not begin until 11/12.

Last edited by Sherry E; 10-08-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #2992
julieheyer
Crazy for the Mouse!

I think CP means candlelight processional, and maybe you also mean Cast Party? Just checking to see if there's confusion there .

We'll be in DL Friday Nov. 16-1 day w/ out BFFs. I'm hoping to see the fireworks, snow on main st. and F! that night. I'd love recommendations on where to watch the FW so we can experience the snow and still make our way to watch the late F!.

TIA!

Past trips: Mar. 2013, Nov 2012, Oct. 2011, Mar. 2009, June 2006... Can't remember before that!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #2993
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Wow, I'm having a hard time seeing how they could run the CP with the park open! What a logistics nightmare!!! I was thinking maybe they'd run it after the park closes.......but yikes, to run it during opening AND to do it twice?????? I don't think they know how they're doing it yet.....lol Would explain why the calendar/park hours only goes into Nov.

Well, it will be interesting how they'll handle doing the CP, parade, fireworks and crowd flow with that all happening in the same general area and times.
Laurie -

I agree - I don't think that DL (or Team Disney Anaheim) really knows exactly how they're handling anything yet! The CP has been running on weekends only (and always two times per night) for years, but having it on this many weekdays too could potentially be a gridlock nightmare, making the formerly 'less busy' times in December a madhouse, OR it could serve to spread out crowds so that they are not as bad on the first 2 days of the CP.

I get the feeling that TDA just thought, "Hey! Now that we have 2 new lands in DCA, that means we can start having a Christmas party in DL next year because DCA will have something to offer the guests who can't come to the party. Let's test out the CP this year and see if it is a big hit, and if it is a hit we will make it a selling point of a party next year!"

I don't think that too much was pondered beyond that initial thought, and now Disney is down to the wire, having to figure out how they are going to 'sell' this CP - literally and figuratively - and if the AP people will be buying packages too or getting free viewing, etc. They have to figure out when exactly the parade and fireworks can run.

Personally - and I am really not trying to sound like the voice of doom here - I don't see how this whole thing could not draw in a lot of extra crowds and traffic in the park, despite whatever is going on in DCA to lure people over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieheyer View Post
I think CP means candlelight processional, and maybe you also mean Cast Party? Just checking to see if there's confusion there .

We'll be in DL Friday Nov. 16-1 day w/ out BFFs. I'm hoping to see the fireworks, snow on main st. and F! that night. I'd love recommendations on where to watch the FW so we can experience the snow and still make our way to watch the late F!.

TIA!
julieheyer -

There is no Cast Member party this year. We're definitely talking about the Candlelight Processional.

I think that standing on the Main Street side of the Hub is always good for fireworks and snow. But you know, some folks have said that standing back by IASWH is good for both too (snow usually falls back there as well), although I find that area in front of IASWH to be really, really, really packed with people at night. Others have said that they caught some snowfall along the edges of New Orleans Square.

I still vote for the Hub, on the Main Street side, or facing the Castle if you can manage it. I can't recall where Laurie/DizNee Luver stood for the fireworks and snow last year? Hopefully, as more folks post their photos for this week's theme, they will share where they watched the fireworks and experienced the snow.

Oh, by the way - I didn't get a chance to thank you last week, but thank you so much for your kind words and appreciation of this thread! I am so glad you're enjoying it and enjoying the theme weeks.

Last edited by Sherry E; 10-08-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #2994
DizNee Luver

No Cast Party this year??

Old 10-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #2995
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
No Cast Party this year??
Nope. None! Isn't that sad? I feel bad for the CM's who work hard all year.

Just to give a little insight as to how ill-prepared Disney may actually be in planning out these seasonal events, an example of this is this new "Carnival" at the (formerly named) Halloween Round-Up area.

When the animated "mini-site" for Halloween Time first went up in late August-ish of this year, one of the Halloween offerings listed was the "Halloween Round-Up," and the Villains were listed as being at their own spot.

About a week or week and a half before Halloween Time officially began on 9/14, suddenly, out of nowhere, this "Carnival" - and a whole different set-up to that location - was announced, and the mentions of the Round-Up and the separate Villains spot were removed from the mini-site and updated. The Carnival had never been mentioned at all in any previous press for Halloween Time.

This leads me to believe that the Carnival was almost a last minute idea, or one that TDA was not sure if they could pull off by 9/14 - hence, the reason for not mentioning it in the first place and throwing it into the mix right before 9/14.

So if TDA could handle their (already limited) Halloween Time events so hastily and haphazardly, there is no telling how they will handle the CP and other holiday season events!

(And, by all accounts, the Halloween Party has been very crowded - more so than usual - each night, and the nights are selling out more than in the past.)

Old 10-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #2996
DisneyFan3113
Professional author, England-born, Disney fanatic!! :)

Sooo excited about going now! I was a little worried, since last year we went in September and were a surprised at how little Halloween decorations there were, but it looks pretty hard to be disappointed around Christmastime. And now my aunt, a long-time producer for Disney, pulled some strings and told me we're going to be getting the VIP treatment when we go, which will make things even better. Loving all these pictures!
Old 10-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #2997
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFan3113 View Post
Sooo excited about going now! I was a little worried, since last year we went in September and were a surprised at how little Halloween decorations there were, but it looks pretty hard to be disappointed around Christmastime. And now my aunt, a long-time producer for Disney, pulled some strings and told me we're going to be getting the VIP treatment when we go, which will make things even better. Loving all these pictures!
DisneyFan3113 -

Did you go to DLR before or after September 16th of last year? Do you remember? The Halloween season began on 9/16 in 2011 (and on 9/14 this year), so I wonder if you caught it at its peak.

In any case, yes, it's true - Halloween Time is sorely lacking in decorations in comparison to the holiday season. Don't get me wrong - I love Halloween Time too, and I love Fall as a season. I keep holding out hope that the Halloween season is going to become bigger and better than ever at Disneyland Resort over the next few years...but for the last few years, they have only been scaling back the decorations and highlights even more, while the crowds keep getting larger.

California Adventure has almost nothing in the way of Halloween Time decor, and it was not always that way. Even the decorations and highlights in Disneyland park have gotten less.

Let's put it this way - when you can count on one hand the number of areas that have concentrated Halloween decor in DLR, you know that there's not much.

For the holiday season, however, it's a whole different story. The hotels get in on the act. All of the restaurants and shops have trees or some sort of decorations. California Adventure is going to have Cars Land decorations and Buena Vista Street decorations this year. A Bug's Land is decorated. Disneyland is sooooo decked out in holiday merriment that you are literally immersed in it. New Orleans Square and Toon Town have special themed decorations. Main Street is gorgeous at night. The Winter Castle is stunning. IASW Holiday is stunning. The Reindeer Round-Up (this year it will be called the Holly Jolly Jamboree) is charming and rustic.

I would be shocked if you were disappointed in any way by the overall holiday festivities. As long as you like Christmas and Disneyland, you should love the two blended together.

Laurie/DizNee Luver made her very first holiday trip to DLR last year, and even though it was a fairly short trip she packed a lot into it! She will tell you - she was not at all disappointed in the Christmas magic at DLR!

How wonderful that your aunt is getting the VIP treatment for you! I wonder if she is going through the Special Activities office (that's the office I went through last year for VIP seats, etc.). They are very nice people in that SA office, and they are very helpful and attentive!

Old 10-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #2998
DTDkettleCORNfan
DIS Veteran

Post-fireworks smoky castle. Can't wait!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #2999
MommyLove
The sleep-deprivation is causing low mental bandwidth
Did someone say TURKEY LEG? yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Hopefully, as more folks post their photos for this week's theme, they will share where they watched the fireworks and experienced the snow.
We watched the fireworks from in front of IASW and loved it. They did some special lighting on the front of IASM and that was fun. As a matter of fact, during that trip, we watched the fireworks twice and both times in front of IASW! This was in Jan '09 and sure, there were a lot of people, but it wasn't crazy packed or anything... not like the Main St. area was, which I think is why we chose the IASW area. Here are some of our pics:

(me in the pink hat with the two older kids)

I will come back later to post parade pics.
April '13 (BWPPI), May '13 (BWPPI), July '13 (Stanford I&S), Oct. '13 (BWPPI), Dec. 29, 2013 - Jan. 4, 2014 (BWPPI), April '14 (HoJo Kids Suite)

Last edited by MommyLove; 10-08-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #3000
DisneyFan3113
Professional author, England-born, Disney fanatic!! :)

Sherry, I do remember that we went September 18th of last year. Its probably more exciting during October, with the trick-or-treating and everything, but that makes sense about skimping decoration wise. At any rate, I'm super glad to hear the hotels etc. get into Xmas also! Can't wait to see it all in person. Not sure what my aunt did for us that would justify "VIP", or who she spoke to, but it may have something to do with Frankenweenie, since thats the most recent film she's worked on over at Disney & she mentioned it to me. Oh well! Will have to wait and see. BTW, your pictures of the fireworks and parade are gorgeous!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: