Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #2971
Purplegal
Mouseketeer

Fantasmic is VERY worth seeing! It is AMAZING!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #2972
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFan3113 View Post
This thread is so awesome! Very glad I stumbled on it. Go me. Taking a trip to DL this November with all 6 kids, & DH (so make that 7 kids, LOL), and none of them know yet. Its going to be great, first-ever "surprise" trip. Anyways, I was just wondering if there's any good restaurants we should make reservations for? Also, is Fantasmic! worth seeing? Any answers help. Thanks!
I would recommend a dinner at Goofy's Kitchen or a breakfast at the PCH Grill, Goofy's Kitchen or the Grand Californian character breakfast (all of us like the character meals at the hotels better than the ones at the parks, plus, you can still get to the park early after a breakfast).

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #2973
rmom
Mouseketeer

We maybe going December 28 - 31. I spent the last 20 years avoiding the parks during the peak seasons as my sp needs daughters can not handle the crowds. My daughter's friend is coming out and it is my daughter's (non-sp needs) 16th bd. She either wants to go to Yosemite or Disneyland. The girls need to make a decission but I have a feeling she is siding with DL. I already warned her it would be crowded and they would have to get up early to go to the parks.

What am I in for??? Any suggustion on how to hit the parks, tips? I can't afford to stay at any of the DL hotels as they are 300 - 500 per night. Do we still get one early morning with the 3 day hopper pass? Right now I have a reservation with the Ramada & Fairfield. I am thinking of trying orbitz, travelosity or hotels.com to get a better price.

Any suggustions are greatly appreciated. My other two went on very few rides and we had a GAC if we needed it. This will be a whole nother experience!

Oh, where do you get the gingerbread beignets? I would love to try them.

Last edited by rmom; 10-04-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #2974
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmom View Post
We maybe going December 28 - 31. I spent the last 20 years avoiding the parks during the peak seasons as my sp needs daughters can not handle the crowds. My daughter's friend is coming out and it is my daughter's 16th bd. She either wants to go to Yosemite or Disneyland. The girls need to make a decission but I have a feeling she is siding with DL. I already warned her it would be crowded and they would have to get up early to go to the parks.

What am I in for??? Any suggustion on how to hit the parks, tips? I can't afford to stay at any of the DL hotels as they are 300 - 500 per night. Do we still get one early morning with the 3 day hopper pass? Right now I have a reservation with the Ramada & Fairfield. I am thinking of trying orbitz, travelosity or hotels.com to get a better price.

Any suggustions are greatly appreciated. My other two went on very few rides and we had a GAC if we needed it. This will be a whole nother experience!

Oh, where do you get the gingerbread beignets? I would love to try them.
I am in a wheelchair, and daughter (16) and hubby both have autism spectrum disorders, and we went to Disneyland over Christmas last year. We stayed at the Howard Johnson's Anaheim. I was just as worried as you were, but it went okay. Make sure expectations are appropriately set that they won't see everything, and find out what the most important rides/attractions are.

If rooms are available, the Howard Johnson's Anaheim or Best Western Park Place Inn are good choices (avoid Captain Kidd's buffet, however. Mimi's restaurant is great.) There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Ramada Maingate or the Fairfield, also. All are close by, and very good choices. If possible, try to get a room with a refrigerator.

I think the 3-day passes still come with an early entry, and you DEFINITELY want to use it. Avoid DCA on early entry days--try to go on a non-early entry day. Get a picnic meal so you can get the fastpass, or make sure you get a fastpass to World of Color.

Go early in the morning, hang out in the parks until about 1 then go back to your hotel. Get lunch in your room (MUCH less stressful--Vons will deliver groceries, and you can keep it in your fridge), hang out by the pool, take a nap and then go back in the evening and close down one or both parks. If you keep it to the mornings and nights, you should be able to avoid the worst of the crowding (although it will still be VERY crowded).

Also, get a copy of the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland and take the time to develop a really good touring plan, or buy one of the touring plans online. Given the time of year, a good touring plan can make all the difference.

Make sure you have reservations for meals, or plan to eat off-hours. If that doesn't work, eat in the resorts at the non-character, inexpensive places. White Water Snacks at the Grand Californian comes to mind immediately. It wasn't crowded all Christmas week, and it's just outside DCA.

It will be okay. Happy birthday to your daughter!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #2975
sirvin12
Mouseketeer

I made dining reservations today!!!!!!

Shannon
Old 10-05-2012, 02:39 AM   #2976
JediMasterNerd
Earning My Ears

Question

First, thank you for your previous reply regarding the availability of Christmas Menus... Looking at the announcement of Thanksgiving Day menu it looks like they won't be out until after we can book reservations, oh well...

Second, just looking for feedback on a tentative schedule... This is based on last years schedule of events so times may change and of course availability may change some plans. We arrive late on Sun Dec 23rd, leave early on the 26th so only 2 days in the park

Sunday - dinner at Goofy's Kitchen 7pm-ish

Monday (Christmas Eve) - 3pm holiday tour
- 5:30pm Parade
- 6:30pm dinner (planning WCT but open to suggestions)
- 8:45 Fireworks AND/OR 10:15 Fantasmic

Tuesday (Christmas Day) - 5pm or before dinner at CCR
- 7pm World of Color (though we might want to do 7pm dinner/9pm show)
- If fireworks/fantasmic didn't work out on Monday, pick it up here

Wednesday - Breakfast at PCH Grill

Are we going to be able to transition in time to meet this schedule or a I crazy fir trying to fit it all in??

Thanks again!!

J.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #2977
MommyLove
The sleep-deprivation is causing low mental bandwidth
Did someone say TURKEY LEG? yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
I'm actually surprised that more of our DIS'ers (besides Bret and myself) have not posted IASWH photos.
I've missed it here this week. I've just been so busy that I've hardly done any Disney dreaming all week!

I thought IASW was sooooooooo neat with the Christmas decorations. Really loved it. It's nice to hear a little different music in there too. I don't have many photos that aren't like the ones already posted, so I'm just going to include some that are at least a little different. And these are, again, from Jan '09:

during the fireworks:

right after with "snow" in the air:

a "snow" blower (with a IASW wreath partially visible):

the little dolls coming out for their show:

on the ride:

Happy Holidays!

April '13 (BWPPI), May '13 (BWPPI), July '13 (Stanford I&S), Oct. '13 (BWPPI), Dec. 29, 2013 - Jan. 4, 2014 (BWPPI).
UPCOMING: April 12-19, 2014 (HoJo Kids Suite).
Old 10-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #2978
DisneyIsMagical
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tif View Post
Hi all! So I asked this somewhere else, but thought with this huge thread someone might have more info to add.

Does anyone have any info on what to expect decoration wise in between the end of Halloween and the beginning of Christmas? I know Christmas officially begins 11/12 this year and Halloween ends 10/31. We'll be there from November 1-8 (in the park 6 of those days). Will they get a fair amt of decorations up during that time?

And what about the holiday shows. I'm not worried about the parade because we'll see the ABC Christmas Day parade, but what about the fireworks and stuff. Do they just do the regular show until the official season starts? I would presume so, but it sure would be nice if they would phase some of that in while we're there.

I didn't realize we were missing so much or we could've extended our trip. Maybe it won't be as bad as I am expecting?
I'm not sure if anyone had answered your questions so I'd like to give you what info I have (as of last year). I was there from 11/9-11/12 last year. The majority of the decorations were up on our first day. I didn't notice too much going up after that, but of course you will be there the week before so I'm not positive as to their decoration timeline during that week. IASWH had a soft opening on 11/11 so we were able to ride it and see the gorgeous lights. They did not have any of the holiday shows (parade/ fireworks) going while we were there (we left mid-day on the 12th). We were able to get photos with Santa in DCA. We were happily surprised that most everything was decorated when we arrived. Hope this helps some.
Dec. 1989 offsite Oct. 2007 GCH Apr. 2008 Paradise Pier Nov. 2008 GCH Concierge Sept. 2009 GCH Concierge June 2011- Offsite-Became a first time AP holder! Nov. 9-12th 2011- GCH Concierge and lunch @ Club 33
Mar. 2012 GCH Halloweentime 2012 Oct. 7-11th GCH PPH Concierge 1/24-1/27 2013 PPH Concierge May 2013 Planning Jan. 2014
Old 10-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #2979
DisneyIsMagical
Mouseketeer

I hope I'm still on the right weekly theme, my head is spinning right now! So much to do and so little time

IASWH:

Dec. 1989 offsite Oct. 2007 GCH Apr. 2008 Paradise Pier Nov. 2008 GCH Concierge Sept. 2009 GCH Concierge June 2011- Offsite-Became a first time AP holder! Nov. 9-12th 2011- GCH Concierge and lunch @ Club 33
Mar. 2012 GCH Halloweentime 2012 Oct. 7-11th GCH PPH Concierge 1/24-1/27 2013 PPH Concierge May 2013 Planning Jan. 2014
Old 10-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #2980
DharmaLou
Once a Princess, Always a Princess

We leave 6 weeks from today!!

Does anyone know - we are having our Thanksgiving meal at Goofy's Kitchen. They have 2 different prices - brunch & dinner. Our reservation is at 3pm - is that considered brunch or dinner?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #2981
hpfan100
DIS Veteran

birthday and "soft" opening for xmas... YIPPEEE

My bf and I will be there the weekend of November 9-12 for my birthday! I'm hoping that most of the Christmas goodies will be up and running too. We went in September for his birthday and decided to get annual passes!

Looking forward to peppermint and snowman goodies...
He's looking forward to seeing the lights up

~~Amy~~ Me:

WDW/WWoHP June 2010 WDW Sept. 2010 DL Oct. 2010 WWoHP July 2011 Leakycon DLR 24hours Leap Day 2012 WWOHP and WDW Platinum July 2012 DLR annual passholder Sept. 2013-2014 WDW and WWoHP May 2013 WDW anniversary March 2014
Old 10-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #2982
DisneyFan3113
Professional author, England-born, Disney fanatic!! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellers View Post
I would recommend a dinner at Goofy's Kitchen or a breakfast at the PCH Grill, Goofy's Kitchen or the Grand Californian character breakfast (all of us like the character meals at the hotels better than the ones at the parks, plus, you can still get to the park early after a breakfast).
Very good to know. The kids are infinitely in love with the characters, so we usually do Goofy's but not the others. Will have to try. Also, speaking of characters, does anyone know if they hang around in different areas around Xmastime than the usual spots (Town Square, Critter Country, etc.)?
Old 10-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #2983
Tif
Earning My Ears

Well since the schedule has the holiday fireworks, IASW, and the Big Thunder Mountain Ranch all scheduled to start the 9th (the day after we leave), we extended our trip one day. Lol We'll have to get a cheapie hotel, but we're all excited! The question now is:

I know it "snows" at the end of the fireworks. Where is the absolute best place to watch the fireworks AND get the snow?

None of us have ever seen the holiday fireworks and last trip we only got to see the regular fireworks from a distance (while watching Fantastic). Definitely need pointers to make the extra day count!
Old 10-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #2984
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Tif -

If the schedule says Winter Enchantment Lighting for 11/9, then it should snow at the end of the fireworks, and the Castle will light up in icicle lights.

However, the official first day of the season is 11/12 and there is a reason why that's the official first day - because there are some things (not sure what) that will not be happening in the parks until 11/12. If everything were going to fully be up and running on 11/9 and in full holiday mode, then they would have just made 11/9 the start of the season.

So you may get to see the Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks on 11/9, but I'm not 100% sure there will be snow or the Castle lighting happening at the end of it until 11/12.

New theme week starts tomorrow, everyone!!!! Thanks to all who shared their gorgeous IASWH photos!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12
Old 10-08-2012, 01:23 AM   #2985
The Fox Menagerie
Mouseketeer

Disneyland at Christmas time is just fantastically magical!

Apr 2014 Disneyland Hotel, Jun 2013 Polynesian Resort, Aug 2011 Disneyland Hotel, Dec 2010 Disneyland Hotel, Nov 2010 Paradise Pier Hotel, Aug 2010 Disneyland Hotel, Apr 2010 Disneyland Hotel , Jun 2009 Grand Floridian Resort, Jun 2009 Bahamas Cruise Disney Wonder, Apr 2008 Disneyland Hotel, Apr 2007 Paradise Pier Hotel, Apr 2004 Disneyland Hotel, Oct 1999 Off Property Orlando, July 1995 Off Property Disneyland, June 1990 Off Property Disneyland
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: