Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #2941
Tif
Earning My Ears

Hi all! So I asked this somewhere else, but thought with this huge thread someone might have more info to add.

Does anyone have any info on what to expect decoration wise in between the end of Halloween and the beginning of Christmas? I know Christmas officially begins 11/12 this year and Halloween ends 10/31. We'll be there from November 1-8 (in the park 6 of those days). Will they get a fair amt of decorations up during that time?

And what about the holiday shows. I'm not worried about the parade because we'll see the ABC Christmas Day parade, but what about the fireworks and stuff. Do they just do the regular show until the official season starts? I would presume so, but it sure would be nice if they would phase some of that in while we're there.

I didn't realize we were missing so much or we could've extended our trip. Maybe it won't be as bad as I am expecting?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #2942
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

IASW at Night

The Magic, The Memories & You on IASWH with the Christmas segment from last year

Inside IASW

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #2943
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post
Hey! My family will be heading to Disney Land for 12/22-12/26. What would be a great place for a Cristmas Eve dinner in the parks? My daughter will be 1 at that time. She is extremely well behaved. Not sure if some of the restaurants have age restrictions. This is our first visit to the DLR we are very familiar with WDW.

What about a Christmas Day breakfast in the park? How are crowds on this day?

Thanks so much!!
My family and I ate at Catal for Christmas Eve dinner last year. It was very nice. The food was terrific, and we had a wonderful view of Downtown Disney all decked out for the holidays. As I recall, they didn't have a specific "holiday menu" but we all really enjoyed it. It is, however, very expensive.

The family next to us had a toddler, so I don't think it would be a problem.

One way you can cut down on the cost is if somebody's birthday is within a certain time frame of Christmas Eve (mine is near Thanksgiving). If you sign up with the Patina Birthday Group, they will send you a gift certificate you can use at Catal, Naples Pizzeria and Tortilla Jo's. There are restrictions, but it still is nice to have.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #2944
mellers
DIS Veteran

My apologies--you said the parks, and I gave you a recommendation for Downtown Disney. In the parks, for dinner, with a little one, you might want to consider Ariel's Grotto in California Adventure, particularly if they have a World of Color dinner show package.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #2945
mellers
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know when they will begin selling dinner show packages for the Candlelight Processional, or when APs can start signing up?

Old 10-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #2946
Priory
Mouseketeer

I check Disney Parks Blog every day for candlelight processional details. I haven't seen anything yet. This year will be my first time visiting the parks at Christmas and I want to make sure I get to see it!
Old 10-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #2947
StyledSugar
Love The Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tif View Post
Hi all! So I asked this somewhere else, but thought with this huge thread someone might have more info to add.

Does anyone have any info on what to expect decoration wise in between the end of Halloween and the beginning of Christmas? I know Christmas officially begins 11/12 this year and Halloween ends 10/31. We'll be there from November 1-8 (in the park 6 of those days). Will they get a fair amt of decorations up during that time?

And what about the holiday shows. I'm not worried about the parade because we'll see the ABC Christmas Day parade, but what about the fireworks and stuff. Do they just do the regular show until the official season starts? I would presume so, but it sure would be nice if they would phase some of that in while we're there.

I didn't realize we were missing so much or we could've extended our trip. Maybe it won't be as bad as I am expecting?

We were there around that time last year and it seemed like every morning we walked into the park there were more decorations. You won't get all of them but the castle had the snow on it, there were decorations in the windows, and throughout the park. It's not complete though but you will see a fair amount.

The fireworks were just the regular ones, not the holiday ones.

Plan on a long wait for the ABC parade. We skipped it last year because of the wait -- and as far as I can recall, the weather wasn't that great that day either but I could be mistaken. We didn't have great weather during out trip so the days all sort of blended together. lol

Have fun!!

DLR: 1980, 1985, 1987, February 2006, September 2010, October-November 2011, Christmas/New Years 2012-2013

My wonderful family:
DH Me DD 15 DS 11
Old 10-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #2948
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Even though we already knew the actual dates of the season a long time ago (thank you, Kaoden39/Michele for announcing those way back when!), here is the official confirmation that Cars Land and Buena Vista Street will have their own decorations!! Straight from the Disney Parks Blog:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...ugh-january-6/

(Notice that the Reindeer Round-Up now has a new name - the Holly Jolly Jamboree!)

ETA: Have I mentioned that I cannot wait for the holiday season?

Some highlights from the Blog:

Quote:
Some highlights:

At Disney California Adventure park:
  • Buena Vista Street will be decked out in vintage-style ornaments and décor.
  • In Cars Land, each address along Route 66 – Flo’s V-8 Café, Fillmore’s Taste-In, the Cozy Cone Motel, Luigi’s Casa della Tires – will feature holiday decorations reflecting the personality of the “Cars” character who lives there.
  • New wintertime fun will rock the night at Mad T Party.
  • Returning favorites will include “a bug’s land” holiday decor and “Phineas and Ferb’s Rockin’ Rollin’ Dance Party: Holiday Edition.”

At Disneyland park:
  • Santa’s Holly Jolly Jamboree in Big Thunder Ranch is where Disneyland park guests can meet Santa Claus and participate in games, music and crafts.
  • Candlelight Ceremony and Processional performances from December 3-20 will be open to Annual Passholders and guests who book select dining packages.
  • Returning favorites include: Sleeping Beauty’s Winter Castle, “Believe…in Holiday Magic” fireworks show, “A Christmas Fantasy” parade, “it’s a small world” holiday and Haunted Mansion Holiday.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 10-02-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #2949
Escape2Disney
Friendly Neighborhood Disney Fanatic!

My autistic DD was OBSESSED with IASW when she was little! We got terribly tired of riding it over and over. She has since grown out of it, but there's still a 'family rule' that limits the number of times we will ride in a row.

So, be sure not to tell her what I'm about to say....

I CAN'T WAIT to experience IASWH again! We've only seen it once in 2007 during a Thanksgiving trip, and I LOVE IT!

I am looking forward to this almost as much as the Christmas parade and Main Street decorations!

Thanks for the topic this week.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #2950
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape2Disney View Post
My autistic DD was OBSESSED with IASW when she was little! We got terribly tired of riding it over and over. She has since grown out of it, but there's still a 'family rule' that limits the number of times we will ride in a row.

So, be sure not to tell her what I'm about to say....

I CAN'T WAIT to experience IASWH again! We've only seen it once in 2007 during a Thanksgiving trip, and I LOVE IT!

I am looking forward to this almost as much as the Christmas parade and Main Street decorations!

Thanks for the topic this week.
You're very welcome, Escape2Disney! I'm actually surprised that more of our DIS'ers (besides Bret and myself) have not posted IASWH photos. I know that there are many of them who have taken photos of IASWH!

I, too, can get a little tired of IASW in its regular form. But I am absolutely enchanted with it during the holidays because of the gorgeous colors on the facade at night, and the total transformation inside the ride.

The Main Street decorations (especially after dark) are one of my favorite aspects of the season, to be sure! Add to that the dusting of snow on Main Street after the fireworks, and it is just magical. I love Main Street. I love New Orleans Square's decor. I love Toon Town's colorful decorations. I think I will love Buena Vista Street and Cars Land, done holiday-style, too!

I'm so excited for the holidays to get here (even though I haven't even made my annual Halloween Time trip to DLR yet!).

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 10-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #2951
iKristin

DIS Veteran

I am super excited to experience all this for the first time What are some things I must do for a first time Christmas visit!?

Old 10-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #2952
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKristin View Post
I am super excited to experience all this for the first time What are some things I must do for a first time Christmas visit!?
Kristin -

I saw your post last night about making your first holiday trip, and I had planned to reply to it today (I'm working my way backwards through the posts I was going to comment on). Since you're here now, I'll reply now!

First of all, I'm so, so glad that you're going to experience your first holiday season at DLR! From what you mentioned in the Halloween thread a while back, your trips to DLR may become infrequent as of next year, when you move closer to WDW.

Also, did you say that you will be going solo in December, or did I remember that incorrectly? I recall that your last solo trip did not go as well as you'd hoped. I hope that this upcoming one will be better!

For a first-time Christmas visit, I think these things are must-dos (in no particular order):

1. Make sure to catch the snow falling on Main Street after the Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks (there is the smell of gingerbread piped into the air during the snow);

2. Try to catch the Christmas Fantasy Parade if you can;

3. See the reindeer at the Round-Up (which is now going to be called the Holly Jolly Jamboree);

4. Be sure to get photos of IASW Holiday at night, when the colored lights are on;

5. Be sure to get photos of the nighttime Winter castle, when it's lit up in icicle lights;

6. Visit the lobby of the Grand Californian Hotel - often times there are Dickens carolers performing and Santa poses for PhotoPass pictures in front of the giant tree. The tree at the Paradise Pier is gorgeous too, and the Goofy's Kitchen tree is wacky and colorful;

7. Visit New Orleans Square, Toon Town and A Bug's Land to see the special themed decorations (and now Cars Land can be added to that list as well); and

8. Try some of the holiday goodies (like peppermint ice cream, peppermint fudge, peppermint mocha, etc.)....

I'm sure I will think of more - or hopefully others will have some great ideas for you. Maybe the Holiday Tour??

Old 10-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #2953
iKristin

DIS Veteran

Yeah it will be solo again; I just really want to spend my birthday in the park at least once in my life!! Do they normally do anything for Walt's birthday (cause that's also my birthday). The December trip will be my last one for a while due to moving back to Oklahoma just after that trip I will have to do all of those things!! I'm really excited to experience Christmas in the parks, it just looks so beautiful in the photos hehe

Old 10-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #2954
ChrisSD
Mouseketeer

Should we expect Believe...in Holiday Magic to be up and running Nov 12? Full start too - not just the soft start with no castle lighting....
Old 10-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #2955
DisFan84
Earning My Ears

I'll be at DL the first week of December, do they typically do Fireworks/snow during the weekdays? I was told they did by some folks and told they don't by others (all by non Dis'ers) so figured I'd check with the experts
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: