Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #2926
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmbr1223 View Post
I am loving all the pics. One of the spots in Disneyland that I most want to see is NOS. Twelve years ago I was on my honeymoon and 21yrs old, I wish I took more time to take in all the magic of the holidays. I don't even remember there being much decorations around the land which I know there was. Now that I am older and getting the chance to be back for a very long trip my goal is to take in as much decorations and holiday spirit as I can. In between all the fun I will be having with my DH, DS, and DD. Thank you for posting the pics I am so antsy to get to Disneyland I can bearly handle myself.
bjmbr1223 -

There were not as many decorations in certain places around the park 12 years ago. I've watched the holiday seasons evolve and change over the last 22 years or so (around 1990 is when I really started to take notice of the holidays at DLR, and realize that it was my favorite time to go), and there are some things I wish they could bring back (some decorations at the Disneyland Hotel, for example). On the other hand, the overall level of decorations is much more extensive now than ever before, so while we may lose a few things here and there...we've gained a lot in general.

Stay tuned - every Monday until November 12th there will be a new theme week and photos to go with it!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 09-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #2927
abby
Abby's Mom

We will be there December 3-7th (flying in on the 2nd) because we can only get 5 day park hoppers we will do other things on the 2nd. Staying at the worldmark timeshare for three nights and PP concerige for the last two.

My dd is now 12 and tells me she is too old for the princess character meal. I really haven't checked out the others..any ideas, also do any of them have any special holiday magic?

it's been four years since we were last there, although it was about the same time of year. I am so excited I can't wait.
(OK so maybe one reason to post this was to see my countdown calendar....)

DH and Abby 12,

December 2008, PP Concierge December 2007
HOJO October 2006, DLH January 2006, DLH April 2005
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #2928
lurpee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abby
We will be there December 3-7th (flying in on the 2nd) because we can only get 5 day park hoppers we will do other things on the 2nd. Staying at the worldmark timeshare for three nights and PP concerige for the last two.

My dd is now 12 and tells me she is too old for the princess character meal. I really haven't checked out the others..any ideas, also do any of them have any special holiday magic?

it's been four years since we were last there, although it was about the same time of year. I am so excited I can't wait.
(OK so maybe one reason to post this was to see my countdown calendar....)
I can see how she might feel like that. Might sound odd but would she consider the other character meals? Just for the fun of the pictures? I bet she would like BB! I've wanted to eat there since my first trip when I was 17.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #2929
DisneyIsMagical
Mouseketeer

More from 2011:

Dec. 1989 offsite Oct. 2007 GCH Apr. 2008 Paradise Pier Nov. 2008 GCH Concierge Sept. 2009 GCH Concierge June 2011- Offsite-Became a first time AP holder! Nov. 9-12th 2011- GCH Concierge and lunch @ Club 33
Mar. 2012 GCH Halloweentime 2012 Oct. 7-11th GCH PPH Concierge 1/24-1/27 2013 PPH Concierge May 2013 Planning Jan. 2014
Old 09-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #2930
Purplegal
Mouseketeer

Hello! Marking this thread...we just made our res for Nov 17-20...so excited! I'm really hoping the Christmas Parade will be in full effect...also reading through this a bit I see some mentions of a Holiday tour that gets you seats for the parade? Anyone know about that for this year, like how much and when I can schedule it?

Thanks!!
Old 09-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #2931
RedRosie
Mouseketeer

Looking forward to a new theme for pictures! Now just need 8 weeks to fly by
Old 10-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #2932
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Vanessa -

Thank you so much for all the wonderful NOS photos you were able to share with us last week. I am now super-anxious to get back there and see those unique decorations again. I just love all the masks and beads, and the random bright splashes of crimson, purple, gold and blue here and there.

I think you'll be pleased with this week's theme too!

Hello, Purplegal!

I'm so glad you've got your reservation taken care of and now the planning is underway!

The Christmas Fantasy Parade should most definitely be in full effect at that point. What happens with that parade is that it tapes for ABC on the very first weekend in November - but at that point, some of the decorations are not yet up on Main Street. Then the holiday parade 'disappears' until the holiday season begins. Last year the season began on 11/14 and I think the Christmas Fantasy Parade began a couple of days before that.

So I think that this year the parade should officially begin by 11/12 at the latest, if not a couple of days before that. You will definitely get to see it!

The only areas that may possibly not be in full holiday swing yet are the 3 Disney hotels. It seems like there are some years in which they are able to get some of their decorations up and out earlier - like right when the season begins - and other years when the gorgeous Christmas trees (which are absolutely stunning at the PPH and the GCH) don't go up until the day after Thanksgiving. I'm not sure why they would wait if the two parks are fully decorated, but they may not be in full holiday mode yet when you arrive (although I think that someone said that the PPH tree - which is my favorite one - went up earlier than usual last year, so it won't hurt to check). Thanksgiving is on 11/22, so its possible that you may be able to catch some of the hotels' decorations on your last couple of days.

Did you have a chance to look at the 3rd post on Page 1 of this thread? It's the Information post, and it has a lot of links to places where more information can be found, as well as blogs, TR's, frequently asked questions, etc. I have a category in that post for the Holiday Tour, along with links to photos and information about the tour from tksbaskets, areweindisneyyet, etc. I think that the price for last year's tour is listed in areweindisneyyet's 2011 check-in thread.

I'm sure the tour's price will have gone up again this year. I think you can book it 30 days/one month in advance, so if you wanted to do the tour on 11/17, for example, you should be able to book it on 10/17. People who want to do a tour on 11/12 (assuming there is a tour on 11/12) should be able to book on 10/12.

RedRosie -

I've got another theme coming right up! I am in the process of putting the post together for it, and it should be up shortly.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 10-01-2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #2933
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

It's Monday, and you know what that means.....

It’s time for the Weekly Monday Countdown!!!

...Only 42 Days Until the
Holiday Season Begins at Disneyland Resort!!!!

And with the new week comes a new DLR holiday theme!!

As I’ve mentioned, I’m showcasing a particular area of interest of DLR's holiday celebration each week until the 2012 season begins on Monday, November 12th!! There are many more themes to come over the next six weeks, including 6 main weekly themes every Monday, 6 ‘mini-themes’ which will be featured each day from 11/6 – 11/11, and a final ‘Miscellaneous’ theme on Monday, November 12th (with a catchier name than “Miscellaneous,” though!).

Theme Week Countdowns are a great way to keep the photos rolling in on a regular basis and build anticipation for 11/12! Also, this is a way to display the different aspects and details of the holidays at DLR that may be totally new to some people...or previously unnoticed/undiscovered by others.

Last week we strolled through the mysterious, music-filled alleys of New Orleans Square, where Christmas is observed with Mardi Gras flair. The week before that we explored Jack Skellington’s twisted (though well-meaning) vision of bringing two holidays together in the Haunted Mansion Holiday ride. The week before that we visited the rustic holiday celebration at Santa’s Reindeer Round-Up. The week before that, we searched for signs of Christmas in California Adventure – a park that is sure to look very different this November than it ever has in the past. The week before that we soaked in the small town American charm of Main Street.

What’s next?

In the Spotlight this Week......

IT’S A SMALL WORLD HOLIDAY!!!

We all know the opening line…. “It’s a world of laughter, a world of tears…” (Some folks wish they could forget it!) For many of us, this song from Disneyland’s longstanding It’s a Small World attraction became one of our earliest introductions to Walt’s park, and has been embedded in our memory banks ever since. Ironically, something about the wide-eyed innocence of the message behind the song, as well as the Mary Blair-inspired dolls representing countries from around the globe, seems to either appeal to guests…or repel them!

It is true, It’s a Small World has become a ride that is often taken for granted and often ignored during visits to the Disneyland Resort. That is, until November rolls around….when the familiar whimsical fašade gets a little face lift…and becomes It’s a Small World Holiday!!!

From November to mid-January (exact dates differ each year), It’s a Small World Holiday is one of the most popular attractions of the holiday season, and after dark is truly one of the most beautiful sights to see. At dusk, guests begin to flock from all corners of both Disneyland and California Adventure to gaze in awe at the brilliant colored lights which envelop IASWH – literally, thousands and thousands and thousands of lights that glow like a beacon in the night. It is, quite simply, stunning. Even the surrounding area gets a makeover – the topiaries are adorned with lights, and special wreaths symbolizing various nations (with the same sort of playful design synonymous with It’s a Small World) mark a pathway to the ride.

But it’s not only the exterior of It’s a Small World that gets the holiday treatment. The whole ride is transformed into a celebration of holidays around the world. The famous dolls sing “Deck the Halls” and “Jingle Bells” (or in the case of Ariel, “Jingle Shells”)….the faint scents of peppermint and pine fill the air during certain scenes…the colors are brighter and more vivid than usual...no corner is left unattended to. The details are just amazing!

If you love It’s a Small World and you love the holiday season, you will absolutely adore It’s a Small World Holiday. If you don’t love IASW as a rule, you might just love this particular version of the ride because of the sheer beauty of it. Either way, it is a spectacle to behold!

Stay tuned for a new theme starting on Monday, October 8th!!

Please feel free to post your photos of It’s a Small World Holiday all this week!!

Old 10-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #2934
Purplegal
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much Sherry! I did go read everything now...I'm thinking my DD is too young for the tour, plus she won't go on HHM and can't eat fudge,,,so not worth it! I'll just get to the parade super early to save a spot.

This thread is great, thanks so much everyone for all the beautiful pictures!
Old 10-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #2935
simplicio
Earning My Ears

Photopass photographer in front at iaswh

Will there be a photo pass photographer in front of iaswh in the evenings?

Also we've ridden the ride many times and I always look but never find if the Philippines is represented in the ride...
Old 10-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #2936
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

I am hoping that if I do a little banana dance that some info will come out about the CP dining package soon... We're nearing the 2 month mark here folks!!

Walt's Park:Two trips as a kid, stayed off-site. Oct '07, 4 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. May '08, 5 days "girls only trip" @ GCH dm, dd & I. May '09, 6 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. October '10, 5 day trip, dd and I @ PPH. And 6 days at PPH--December 5-10, 2012 for all 3 of us!

OMG--dare I say it? We went to the World!! Split Stay! CSR May 6-10 and AKL Savannah View May 10-13, 2014 (with a dash of the Darkside thrown in for good measure the 13th & 14th.)
Old 10-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #2937
julieheyer
Crazy for the Mouse!

Thank you so much for sharing these Sherry!! IASW is one of my favorites! Not dh's, but he goes anyway! haven't done DL at Christmas since I was a child! I know WDW at Christmas and love that, so I know it'll be extra special!!

Only 6 weeks!!

Past trips: Mar. 2013, Nov 2012, Oct. 2011, Mar. 2009, June 2006... Can't remember before that!
Old 10-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #2938
iKristin

DIS Veteran

WOOHOO!!! Looks like I get to join the Christmas time thread I am taking a short 3 day solo birthday trip from December 4th through the 6th. Not much of a birthday being by myself, but it's Walt and I's special day. So I'll spend it with him hehe. This will be my very first Christmas visit

Old 10-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #2939
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Here is my first part of the IASWH pictures. I will have more from inside IASWH and the nighttime later on today.

The New 2nd All in One Disneyland TR Thread

A Fantasmic Summer at the DLR with my Aunt - June 23 - 25, 2014, Going Back Down South with Bro and his Girl - July 26 - 28, 2014

Pictures of my Trip to the DLR on July 26th to 28th, 2014

Videos of my Disney Trips on Youtube
Old 10-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #2940
iKristin

DIS Veteran

Eep that makes me so excited!! Those pictures are pretty

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: