Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #2866
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana278 View Post
I was just at DL this weekend but the extreme heat was a BIG bummer, so now I'm looking into planning another visit already. It would be great to visit in "cold" weather, so I was originally looking at January dates to avoid the Christmas rush, but then I realized that I would love to see the parks done up for the holidays after all.

I have a deluxe AP so the last date I could do a weekend trip would be on December 15th. I checked the DLH rates and I noticed that the night of the 15th is about $30 cheaper than the other four Saturdays in the month. Is there a reason for this?
dana278 -

I don't blame you one bit. Ordinarily I would have been trying to go to DL for the start of Halloween Time this past Friday, but it was way, way, way too hot. I would have literally passed out or gotten violently ill if I had tried to hang around DL all day in that kind of heat.

I've gone to DLR in December during some years where it was in the 30's at night, and other times when it was in the 50's at night. There was one day I was there (many years ago) when it was in the 40's in the daytime, but then, at the other end of the spectrum, I've been there when it was 90 degrees too! The cooler weather is one of the many reasons why the holiday season at DLR is my favorite time to go. Even if it happens to be unseasonably warm - like it somehow ends up being 80 or 90 degrees in the middle of December - it's not the same kind of harsh heat that you'd find in the Summer.

That is very strange about December 15th being cheaper than the other Saturdays in December. Were you looking at the AP hotel calendar? I suppose it's possible that the rates for the other Saturdays may change on that calendar before December. The rates they show now are not going to be the most updated ones. It's too early.

I can't see any reason why December 8th, for example, would be more expensive than December 15th. December 22nd and 29th would be more expensive, simply because those dates are bookending Christmas and a lot of Christmas travelers will congregate in the parks then during their holiday breaks.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 09-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #2867
MyMuse
From here...to there!

Location: North NJ (I don't know any Sopranos! or Real Housewives!)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
MyMuse -

I don't think there's a hidden Mickey book that includes Cars Land yet, but given how chock full of small details and sight gags that land is, I can only imagine how many hidden Mickeys there must be!
I'll see if there is an unofficial thread about it or go to his website. i must know some of the hidden mickeys! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyLove View Post
Oh wow, that is so cool! Thanks for sharing that!

And also... awesome no-flash inside photos!!
Oh! I couldn't see the hidden mickey!

Does anyone know when/if discounted rates come out for DLR hotels for early November? (maybe not any?)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #2868
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

I didn't go searching thru the whole thread yet, but I just saw a post about the Halloween in-room baskets you can order.... are there Christmas ones? I assume so... I know about the tree and stockings... but that wasn't really what I had in mind...

Walt's Park:Two trips as a kid, stayed off-site. Oct '07, 4 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. May '08, 5 days "girls only trip" @ GCH dm, dd & I. May '09, 6 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. October '10, 5 day trip, dd and I @ PPH. And 6 days at PPH--December 5-10, 2012 for all 3 of us!

OMG--dare I say it? We went to the World!! Split Stay! CSR May 6-10 and AKL Savannah View May 10-13, 2014 (with a dash of the Darkside thrown in for good measure the 13th & 14th.)
Old 09-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #2869
Crazy4Disney06
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2PrincessAbby View Post
I didn't go searching thru the whole thread yet, but I just saw a post about the Halloween in-room baskets you can order.... are there Christmas ones? I assume so... I know about the tree and stockings... but that wasn't really what I had in mind...
Oh not to hijack your thread, but I would love to know this too. I'm looking for a way to surprise my family as well!
9-96 ~ WDW - Wilderness Lodge / 6-98 ~ DL (graduation gift) - FairField Inn/ 3-00 ~ DL (DisneyMoon) - Stovalls Inn / 5-03 ~ DL - Super 8/ 7-04 ~ DL - Hyatt Regency Orange County/ 8-21 - 8-27-07 ~ WDW - POP / 10/11 - 10/19/08 ~ WDW - CBR & Disney Wonder / DL ~ 10/5 - 10/9/09 Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel / 12/15 - 12/20/2011 ~ Our first Holiday Season with Mickey @ ASMu / Villas At Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~ D 12/16 - 12/21/12 /Tinkerbell Half Marathon Weekend @ DL 1/16 - 1/20/14 /Aulani Hawaiian Resort 8/24 - 8/30/14 / Next Up: / Tinkerbell Half Marathon Weekend @ DL 5/7 - 5/10/15

DVC Owners Since 3/2012
Old 09-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #2870
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

The question about the holiday baskets has come up before (was it StyledSugar who asked about them recently? Or someone else?). Other than the tree and stockings, I don't recall hearing specifically about baskets, but I agree - there would have to be some Christmas basket options if they have them for Halloween. I would say it's almost a guarantee. But the stockings come with all kinds of goodies in them, so those would certainly be a fun alternative if the baskets don't work out.

(I bet their Easter baskets would be extra fun!)

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 09-19-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #2871
dana278
Mouseketeer

Quote:
dana278 -

I don't blame you one bit. Ordinarily I would have been trying to go to DL for the start of Halloween Time this past Friday, but it was way, way, way too hot. I would have literally passed out or gotten violently ill if I had tried to hang around DL all day in that kind of heat.

I've gone to DLR in December during some years where it was in the 30's at night, and other times when it was in the 50's at night. There was one day I was there (many years ago) when it was in the 40's in the daytime, but then, at the other end of the spectrum, I've been there when it was 90 degrees too! The cooler weather is one of the many reasons why the holiday season at DLR is my favorite time to go. Even if it happens to be unseasonably warm - like it somehow ends up being 80 or 90 degrees in the middle of December - it's not the same kind of harsh heat that you'd find in the Summer.

That is very strange about December 15th being cheaper than the other Saturdays in December. Were you looking at the AP hotel calendar? I suppose it's possible that the rates for the other Saturdays may change on that calendar before December. The rates they show now are not going to be the most updated ones. It's too early.

I can't see any reason why December 8th, for example, would be more expensive than December 15th. December 22nd and 29th would be more expensive, simply because those dates are bookending Christmas and a lot of Christmas travelers will congregate in the parks then during their holiday breaks.
Yep, I'm looking at the AP calendar. The other hotels also show this specific Saturday as being lower in price than the other Saturdays in December as well. I'm a DL newbie so I don't quite know how their schedules work yet, but it's just odd to me that December 1st and December 29th are the same price. Oh and the same goes for when I look up dates straight through the website without an AP discount! I'm just trying to figure out what is (or isn't!) going on that weekend that would drop the cost.

Would you suggest booking now or waiting for deals to show up in the future? (Do they even offer deals around the holidays?) The deposit they take is refundable if you cancel 5 days prior, so surely I can cancel and re-book next month if I have to, right? I kind of want to grab the date now while the the price is still cheaper. It's only $40, but hey that'll cover the night of parking and a corn dog and a churro. LOL (Which I never got around to trying last weekend because it was too hot and the thought of eating a corn dog turned my stomach at the time!)
Old 09-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #2872
Crazy4Disney06
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The question about the holiday baskets has come up before (was it StyledSugar who asked about them recently? Or someone else?). Other than the tree and stockings, I don't recall hearing specifically about baskets, but I agree - there would have to be some Christmas basket options if they have them for Halloween. I would say it's almost a guarantee. But the stockings come with all kinds of goodies in them, so those would certainly be a fun alternative if the baskets don't work out.

(I bet their Easter baskets would be extra fun!)
Where can I find out more about the stockings?
9-96 ~ WDW - Wilderness Lodge / 6-98 ~ DL (graduation gift) - FairField Inn/ 3-00 ~ DL (DisneyMoon) - Stovalls Inn / 5-03 ~ DL - Super 8/ 7-04 ~ DL - Hyatt Regency Orange County/ 8-21 - 8-27-07 ~ WDW - POP / 10/11 - 10/19/08 ~ WDW - CBR & Disney Wonder / DL ~ 10/5 - 10/9/09 Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel / 12/15 - 12/20/2011 ~ Our first Holiday Season with Mickey @ ASMu / Villas At Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~ D 12/16 - 12/21/12 /Tinkerbell Half Marathon Weekend @ DL 1/16 - 1/20/14 /Aulani Hawaiian Resort 8/24 - 8/30/14 / Next Up: / Tinkerbell Half Marathon Weekend @ DL 5/7 - 5/10/15

DVC Owners Since 3/2012
Old 09-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #2873
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

At some point in the past I recall seeing at least one other photo that was more detailed - maybe all the contents of the stocking were clear to see, or there was a specific description of the contents. Tomorrow I will have to do a search for that thread with the photo that I recall seeing.

In the meantime, in this post from aussietravellers from a couple of years ago (in a totally different thread), you can see what the Vacation Planning stocking looked like, along with a couple of things in it (one of the items is a CD, for example). You can also see the mini-tree she got from Vacation Planning.

It's probably too early for Vacation Planning to have put together a list of this year's Christmas baskets and other holiday items, but you can always e-mail them or call.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #2874
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

December 2011/January 2012

Old 09-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #2875
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Wonderful photos, TK! I especially love the very first one, with that funny pose!

And...you reminded me that I have more pictures to post, which I almost forgot about (I have been trying to tackle too many things and am letting some things slip!).

By the way - since you've been to DLR over New Year's and after New Year's Day before (like this past January, for example), maybe you can answer this. Did the crowds thin out a wee bit after January 1st when you were there this year? There was another thread that popped up yesterday, asking the question of whether it will be crowded from January 1 - January 6 in 2013. I know that a lot of kids will still be on break from school through 1/6, and of course the holiday stuff will be up through 1/6.

I recall hearing/reading earlier this year that crowds had ebbed a slight bit after January 1, 2012, even though many kids were on break through January 8th. It's not that the crowds died down completely, but there was a bit of a drop-off after New Year's Day. Is that correct? I can't recall if I read it on this board or on another board, but I remember being surprised to read it because I thought that the fact that the holiday season extended through January 8th would have kept a packed house in the parks all week long - and yet that didn't seem to be what people said was the case. I assumed that the slight drop-off in crowds was because a lot of folks had to get back to work after New Year's was over. But you were there, so you can shed light on it!

Old 09-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #2876
shishigirl
Mouseketeer

I have been loving this thread and the weekly themes and pictures everyone puts! Thanks! Here are a couple:

Here are a couple of the kids with their Grandma and Grandpa and Jack and Sally

Old 09-21-2012, 05:46 AM   #2877
Minnie Sue Oz
DIS Veteran

From 2010...........

'

And sticking with the theme............my birthday ( which just happens to at Christmas!!! ) present bought for me at Disneyland!!!

Old 09-21-2012, 06:07 AM   #2878
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wonderful photos, TK! I especially love the very first one, with that funny pose!

And...you reminded me that I have more pictures to post, which I almost forgot about (I have been trying to tackle too many things and am letting some things slip!).

By the way - since you've been to DLR over New Year's and after New Year's Day before (like this past January, for example), maybe you can answer this. Did the crowds thin out a wee bit after January 1st when you were there this year? There was another thread that popped up yesterday, asking the question of whether it will be crowded from January 1 - January 6 in 2013. I know that a lot of kids will still be on break from school through 1/6, and of course the holiday stuff will be up through 1/6.

I recall hearing/reading earlier this year that crowds had ebbed a slight bit after January 1, 2012, even though many kids were on break through January 8th. It's not that the crowds died down completely, but there was a bit of a drop-off after New Year's Day. Is that correct? I can't recall if I read it on this board or on another board, but I remember being surprised to read it because I thought that the fact that the holiday season extended through January 8th would have kept a packed house in the parks all week long - and yet that didn't seem to be what people said was the case. I assumed that the slight drop-off in crowds was because a lot of folks had to get back to work after New Year's was over. But you were there, so you can shed light on it!
Great question. We were hoping the crowds would go down after NY Day too but found the parks just as crowded the entire week. DH teaches and we felt that since Christmas and New Years fell on Sundays last year many schools still had break. I'm thinking many families felt like we did 'GREAT! We can go to DL the week AFTER New Years and the crowds will be less'.

Of course we gauge busy by the wait times at TSMM....

Old 09-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #2879
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets

Great question. We were hoping the crowds would go down after NY Day too but found the parks just as crowded the entire week. DH teaches and we felt that since Christmas and New Years fell on Sundays last year many schools still had break. I'm thinking many families felt like we did 'GREAT! We can go to DL the week AFTER New Years and the crowds will be less'.

Of course we gauge busy by the wait times at TSMM....

We were there the same time and agree that it was busy. I know that TK stayed on property. We stayed off property at an ART hotel. I don't think they were prepared at all.

Before Jan 2 the ART was great. It arrived faster than we anticipated but after the holiday we waited over an hour almost every time. This wasn't isolated to our route as everyone waiting was complaining. We were told they cut the drivers down that week anticipating the crowds would allow for it. Complete nightmare. Buses were filling up during the day because they arrived to pick people up so sporadically. Turned me off to ART hotels permanently.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #2880
KiwiMouse
Earning My Ears

31st Dec / 1 Jan

Hi all .. it's been a while (5 years??!!) but the KiwiMice are back! Planning a 'surprise' USA visit for myself and DS (now 16) ... DH has kindly volunteered to mind the fort back in NZ.

Anyway, we are going on to Colorado after DL so we only have two days there AND they would have to be two of the busiest - 31st and 1st. We do have some idea about the crowds (large!) but in mitigation, we are meeting up with two CA friends who are Park experts and I know they will guide us through.

Big decision to be made in the short term is a dining experience on 31st. DH has offered to 'shout' us somewhere nice, and tossing up between Blue Bayou and Carthay. Any thoughts on which of these might be best for what will be NY Eve? Or is there somewhere else?

In about six visits to DL, have never eaten at BB but have looked at it so enviously. On the other hand, Carthay gets good reviews on yelp.

Decisions decisions ...

Also would appreciate some advice about timing for a reservation, as I guess there will be fireworks etc elsewhere and we dont want to get stuck in a restaurant.

We're really looking forward to this experience .. or at least DS would be if he knew This thread looks like a great source of information, thanks so much.

KiwiMouse xx

Last edited by KiwiMouse; 09-21-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: typo
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: