Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #2671
danimaroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
danimaroo -

You know,to be perfectly honest, I always wondered who exactly all the people were who packed into Disneyland on previous CP weekends and why they were there! I had heard horror stories of awful crowds over CP weekend for years. Last year, a Facebook friend of mine confirmed that Saturday of CP weekend was awful.

But I was always thinking, who are these people in the parks? Back when Disneyland used to sell dinner packages to the general public, that made sense that perhaps more people would pack into Disneyland. When they stopped the dinner packages, however, and made it an exclusive, invitation-only event, I could picture people standing around Town Square trying to get a glimpse of John Stamos or Gary Sinise or whomever - but why would the rest of the park be so busy other than the fact that it was just a weekend?

So I began to wonder if maybe the CP guests (the VIP's and media, etc.) were bringing their families, and suddenly there were huge crowds. I was never really sure why the rest of the park got so crowded for one invitation-only event. It always baffled me!

I wish we had a template to which we could refer for patterns and crowds in a situation where the CP happens for multiple nights. I don't even think we can really use WDW's established routine as a guideline, because their CP happens in a different setting than ours does.

So now I think there are a few variables which will make a difference:

1. If the Cast Members can keep the crowds moving through Town Square and Main Street and not standing around to try to watch the CP from afar, then that should help a lot with the gridlock on Main Street on all nights (including 12/1 and 12/2), and it may deter some people from coming into the park in general;

2. If Disney puts enough holiday decorations and other holiday-esque stuff in California Adventure, then if people want to escape Disneyland for fear of crowds, at least they won't feel like they are missing out on seasonal festivities in the other park. That aspect is crucial! People who are there for the holidays have to feel like they are not being short-changed of holiday merriment by venturing over to California Adventure. If they feel like that park is lacking in decor, they may stay in Disneyland. So there has to be a really good balance of decorations and holiday highlights in both parks to keep people happy - unlike Halloween Time, which is mainly centered in Disneyland and not in California Adventure, sadly; and

3. If the AP holders have to enter a sweepstakes/lottery to be selected (or not) for their chosen CP time frames, this will limit the number of AP people who can attend, which will also keep crowds lower than expected in the park. And IF that happens, will the AP holders stick with weekends or weeknights, or all of the above?

Any of these things could make a big difference on the effects of the CP over all 20 nights, along with any possible weather disruptions and things like that.

One thing I think is safe to bet on is that it will most likely be very busy on 12/8 & 12/9, as well as 12/15 & 12/16 - those are holiday season weekends, so they would have been busy anyway, but the CP will add crowds to that.

It should be very interesting to see how it all plays out, and I hope it turns out well - and doesn't turn into a hotbed o' madness! Although, as Royal Consort alluded to above, after the Be Our Guest fiasco at WDW - which I had heard about (vaguely) through a friend's Pre-TR for her upcoming trip to WDW - Disney may not be thinking things through as much as we'd like!
Amen to everything you said!

It'll be very interesting to see how it goes...

On the Be Our Guest fiasco.. I was also one of those who got up at 4am (hey west coasters get stuck with the bad end of the deal, haha!) to get a reservation for our trip to WDW in January. It took 45 minutes of straight redialing but I finally got our reservation... that is, until word got out that if you did it the automated way, you had to call back AGAIN and put your CC# on the reservation.

It was a huge mess, and I find out this morning that I could've made our reservation online today with no problem (it helps that we go during a veeeeery slow time of year), but oh well.

Point is, with the way that went, I am a bit nervous about how Disney will handle the CP deal expanding to 20 nights. Hopefully it's coordinated well!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #2672
sirvin12
Mouseketeer

Where can I find last years Christmas calander? I know it somewhere but I can't remember where to find it. Sherry when does the countdown start?

Thanks,

Shannon
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #2673
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

In Post #3 from Page 1, scroll down to the "Frequently Asked Questions" section (in red & green) and you will find links to both November's and December's hours/entertainment schedule from last year.

Although...I suspect that something will change this year because the Candlelight Processional will inevitably affect the parade's schedule, the snow on Main Street, and probably the fireworks too.

I am happy to tell you that, back by popular demand, the Theme Week Countdown (to the start of the holiday season at DLR) begins in 5 days!!!!!! That's right, on Monday, August 27th, we will once again begin to showcase our photos of trees, wreaths, food, window displays, rides, merchandise, decorations, etc., etc. This will last all the way to November 12!!!

I will be back here on Friday with a reminder of how it all will work, and on which dates we will be starting a new theme week.

Even though the categories will be more or less the same as last year (with some slight tweaking here and there), I will switch up the order of them - and we will (hopefully) have more people participating this year!!! Each week's theme will be a surprise until I announce it!

I've already been doing a Theme Week Countdown in the Halloween Superthread (this Friday will be the fourth week of that countdown) and it has been met with some success and enthusiasm, but I can still tell that the Christmas thread people were a little more excited about last year's holiday season countdown than the Halloween folks are, I think. Then again, we do have some crossover people who visit both threads and post!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 08-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #2674
Crazy4Disney06
DIS Veteran

I am excited for theme week! Even though we visited WDW last December this will be our very first DL visit during the holidays!
9-96 ~ WDW - Wilderness Lodge / 6-98 ~ DL (graduation gift) - FairField Inn/ 3-00 ~ DL (DisneyMoon) - Stovalls Inn / 5-03 ~ DL - Super 8/ 7-04 ~ DL - Hyatt Regency Orange County/ 8-21 - 8-27-07 ~ WDW - POP / 10/11 - 10/19/08 ~ WDW - CBR & Disney Wonder / DL ~ 10/5 - 10/9/09 Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel / 12/15 - 12/20/2011 ~ Our first Holiday Season with Mickey @ ASMu / Villas At Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~ D 12/16 - 12/21/12 /Tinkerbell Half Marathon Weekend @ DL 1/16 - 1/20/14 / Next Up: Aulani Hawaiian Resort 8/24 - 8/30/14 / Tinkerbell Half Marathon Weekend @ DL 5/7 - 5/10/15

DVC Owners Since 3/2012
Old 08-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #2675
StyledSugar
Love The Mouse

Great info in this thread! As I posted a fewish weeks ago, we're off to DL for Christmas! Today we switched our hotel from the Del Sol to PPH. After going back and forth so many times, we figured we'd splurge a little (we are normally budget vacationers -- love finding deals!!) and surprise the kids with PPH. We stayed there for a couple of days just after Halloween last year and LOVED it. Can't wait!!!

Question for the Christmas regulars though. Years and years ago when I went to DL with my parents for Christmas (we're talking at least 25 years ago) they did a special Christmas dinner at the DLH complete with your own turkey and all the trimmings. I can't find anything about it online but have seen many reports about Christmas dinner at Storytellers. Anyone do this? When I called DL reservations today to book our room she said they are doing something special for Thanksgiving at the DLH but wasn't sure about Christmas. Anyone know of anything? We want a more traditional Christmas dinner (turkey and trimmings) or close to it.

DLR: 1980, 1985, 1987, February 2006, September 2010, October-November 2011, Christmas/New Years 2012-2013

My wonderful family:
DH Me DD 15 DS 11
Old 08-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #2676
disneydreamer74
DIS Veteran

One more question, does anyone know if Vacation Planning offers Christmas themed gift baskets during Christmas time at DLR? I would like to order something for my DD5.
1997-WDW-POR,1998-WDW -offsite,DLR-Aug. 2008-DLH,DLR-July 2009-Hyatt Regency,DLR-Aug.2010-Holiday inn Anaheim-Bella's 4th bday , July 2011-Hotel Menage/FFI, Jan '12- FFI, July '12- FFI, Hojo's/ PPH-June '13. Next trip...Jan. '14- FFI
My family:me-SuperMom and Travel Agent Extraordinairre, 40 DH, 35 our princess DD 7 yrs old
Old 08-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #2677
sirvin12
Mouseketeer

Thanks Sherry! I'm interested in the gift baskets as well. How fun would that be. I'm surprising my girls with this trip and that would add to the magic!

Shannon
Old 08-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #2678
DTDkettleCORNfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
I am happy to tell you that, back by popular demand, the Theme Week Countdown (to the start of the holiday season at DLR) begins in 5 days!!!!!!
Awesome Sherry!!! Such a fun part of the planning/anticipation experience. Thanks so much...
Old 08-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #2679
VictoriaAndMatt
Mouseketeer

I just wanted to pop in and say hello. We were supposed to go at Christmastime last year, but unfortunately we hit an unexpected bump in the road and weren't able to. This year I'm determined to go for my son's 5th birthday, which is on Dec 20th, but because the hubby works retail it's going to be a last minute get the kids and go quick trip.

Does anyone know if the on site hotels are completely full in December? Probably Dec 14-15 or Dec 20-21st, and we'd need to book last minute. I'd prefer DLH but any on site is fine. We want to take advantage of EMH since it will be such a quick trip.

I'm really excited to see DL at Christmastime again. The last time was my very first trip back in 2004.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #2680
disneyparami
Earning My Ears

Hi all we are currently planning our first trip to Disneyland for the Holidays. My question is in previous years were the fireworks shown every night or just on the weekends? We're planning on going the week after Thanksgiving. TIA!
Old 08-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #2681
VictoriaAndMatt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyparami View Post
Hi all we are currently planning our first trip to Disneyland for the Holidays. My question is in previous years were the fireworks shown every night or just on the weekends? We're planning on going the week after Thanksgiving. TIA!
I checked out the calendar links posted on post #3 and it looks like the fireworks are every night.

Nov 2011
http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/pa...h=11&year=2011

Dec 2011
http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/pa...h=12&year=2011
Old 08-25-2012, 02:45 AM   #2682
lurpee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaAndMatt
I just wanted to pop in and say hello. We were supposed to go at Christmastime last year, but unfortunately we hit an unexpected bump in the road and weren't able to. This year I'm determined to go for my son's 5th birthday, which is on Dec 20th, but because the hubby works retail it's going to be a last minute get the kids and go quick trip.

Does anyone know if the on site hotels are completely full in December? Probably Dec 14-15 or Dec 20-21st, and we'd need to book last minute. I'd prefer DLH but any on site is fine. We want to take advantage of EMH since it will be such a quick trip.

I'm really excited to see DL at Christmastime again. The last time was my very first trip back in 2004.
We will be there when you are for my DD's 5th birthday! That's a bummer that you have to do it in such a short period of time.

Good luck!
Kerri

Old 08-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #2683
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

VictoriaAndMatt!

Welcome back (it's been a long time since I've seen you post anywhere, and the last time, of course, was on the Halloween thread)!!!! I most definitely remember that you said in the Halloween thread that you planned to pop over here and start planning for a holiday 2011 trip. I'm sorry you didn't get to do that trip, but at least this year is looking promising! I hope all is well.

About Dec 14-15 or Dec 20-21st at the hotels... Well, I don't know for sure, but I think that the 12/20-12/21 dates might be more likely to be booked solid, as a lot of people will have off that whole week leading up to Christmas and will flock to the parks. I think that the 12/14 & 12/15 dates might be better in terms of finding hotel availability on short notice.

If you end up at the Paradise Pier for some reason, I will tell you that the PPH Christmas tree is gorgeous (I like it much better than the trees at the DLH!), so at least you will have a pretty tree to look at on your way in and out of the lobby!

There are always cancellations and reschedulings. So while it may not seem likely that there would be last minute openings for 12/14 - 12/15, it's not impossible. You pretty much have to keep checking back with Reservations on the phone (I wouldn't do it online). Keep calling them to see if anything has opened up if it's all booked when you first check. You may end up with a more expensive room than what you had planned on - like a view room instead of a standard, or a concierge room instead of a view room - but at least it would be a room!

I know that back in 2008, the onsite hotels had a lot of availability all through December, up to the weekend before Christmas. I was told by a CM on the phone that they usually have some openings at the 3 hotels until right around that time. So you may be in luck. It will be risky, but it's not impossible.

StyledSugar -

Welcome back to the thread!

I have heard of special Christmas buffets at the DLH, but I don't know if they happen every year. I know that there are various restaurants that serve special menu items on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day (like Plaza Inn, Carnation Cafe, Storytellers, etc.).

You know, I wonder if Carthay Circle in DCA might have some options this year?? I bet that they'd be likely to have something fairly traditional for Christmas.

disneydreamer74 & Shannon -

I am not sure about the gift baskets, but I know that Vacation Planning can put together some special Disney Christmas stockings for you! (They also have some really adorable, albeit very costly, mini-Christmas trees that you can buy for the room.)

Okay, the next post is the Theme Week Alert/Reminder...

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 08-25-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #2684
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Holiday Season Theme Week Countdown

Announcement/Alert!!!

Hey there, everyone! I have been promising that a Theme Week Countdown was coming for quite a while, and in TWO DAYS it will begin!

This coming Monday, August 27th, we will kick off our countdown to the start of the Holiday Season at Disneyland Resort. Then, we will continue counting down by focusing on a different "theme" or highlight of the festivities every Monday through November 12, 2012.

Those of you who followed along with my Holiday Season Theme Week Countdown in this Superthread last year will probably remember how it all goes, but for those of you who are new to this thread or new to Theme Week Countdowns to any seasons, it's easy to follow when we get into it, but here is the scoop:

1. On one day each week - the same day of the week on which the season will begin, so for the Holidays it will be every Monday - a different aspect of the season (or theme) will be announced, and everyone will be encouraged to share their photos of the given theme all week long.

So, for example, if I announce that it's "Haunted Mansion Holiday week," everyone will round up their HMH photos and post them, until the next theme is announced one week later. The themes will be a surprise (they have already been decided), and will not be announced in advance, although it should be easy enough to figure out which ones remain after we have combed through a few!

I am basically using the same themes that I used last year from late August to mid-November, but switching up the order a little bit so it’s not completely predictable. Certain things may be grouped together into one theme, and some things may be standalone themes.

One thing I will tell you is that the final theme - which will occur on November 12th - will be, essentially, Miscellaneous, although I will probably come up with a catchier name for it as the weeks progress! The reason for this is that by the time 11/12 rolls around, the new season's decorations will have already begun going up around DLR in the week leading up to that date, and people will generally be more interested in seeing the new things than in counting down (of course!). It’s best not to save any major themes for the final day of the countdown for that very reason – most of us will already be in ‘new season mode’!

The Miscellaneous theme week will basically just be a catch-all theme for any photos you have that didn't make it into the previous weeks' themes, or anything else you want to post photos of that is Disneyland Resort/Christmas/Holiday Season-related.

2. Just under one week before the holidays begins, we will kick into a daily countdown. Some themes will not give us enough material for a full week, so those themes will be daily. For example, the Winter Castle is not enough to really warrant an entire week’s worth of photos, but it is definitely a prominent aspect of the holiday season that needs to be highlighted.

To sum up:
  • On August 27, September 3, September 10, September 17, September 24, October 1, October 8, October 15, October 22, October 29 and November 5 (all Mondays), I will announce a new weekly theme;
  • On November 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11 (Tuesday - Sunday), I will feature a daily theme; and
  • On November 12, the new Disneyland Resort Holiday Season begins and that day will be our final theme - "Miscellaneous" (or something like that, with a more clever title!).

Again, it will be very easy to follow along with when we get going! It's a great way to pass the time, count down to the new holiday season, build excitement, as well as showcase different aspects of the season that people may have never paid much attention to or were previously unaware of. It's also a great way to encourage everyone to dig up their pictures and post them.

Don’t worry about posting ‘repeats’ of photos you may have already posted in last year’s countdown. It is expected and assumed that we have many new people following this thread now (both lurking and actively participating), and a lot of them will not have gone back through the pages to see what we posted last year. Just treat it as though you’ve never posted your photos before, or that no one has seen them before, and feel free to share them again!

So get your photos ready, because the first theme is coming up in 2 days!!! I will see you back here on Monday, August 27th with our first theme!

Old 08-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #2685
greenkai3000
Mouseketeer

Pics of Holiday Treats?

Not sure if this would be the thread to find out what all treats one can find at the DL Resort during the Holidays? Pics, and locations ideally?
Walt Disney World Off-Site January 2001, Off-Site July 2001, Off-Site January 2003, All-Star Movies January 2005, Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2007, Cabins at Fort Wilderness July 2010, Port Orleans Resort Riverside August 2013.

Disneyland Paradise Pier October 2011, Grand Californian December 2012, Off-Site December 2013 .

Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel June 2012

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0960612&type=3

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: