Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #2311
MyMuse
From here...to there!

Location: North NJ (I don't know any Sopranos! or Real Housewives!)

Smile

Just wanted to say hi to the forum since it's been a few weeks since I posted last!

Can't wait for more information to come out and crossing all fingers and toes that holidays will appear by Nov 13-17!

And kinda hoping the Segway tours are coming back to DCA too!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #2312
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beee View Post
thanks for your insight Sherry, I'm too much of a planner to wait until September/October! So I have just bought an AP and will book the hotel shortly, I have read on here that we can have the AP discount added later when they come out (hope I am not wrong on that!) I think that even though we are only going for 4-5 days it still works out in our favour for one of us to have an AP as I am 100% certain DD is going to want to buy A TON of souveneirs etc and with discounts on food as well we'll recoup the $150ish dollars difference in price between the park hopper and AP fairly easily I think and if we can get the hotel discount then we are ahead.
Beee -

You're very welcome!

I think the AP purchase is a good choice. Did you get the Premium AP?

Yes, if you book a room that is not part of a package and is just a room-only reservation, you should be able to add any discounts to it that come out later, AP or otherwise.

What you can do is book a room-only reservation now with an AP - or you will tell the hotel people that you have an AP even if you don't have it yet, and then you will show it to them at check-in. The Disneyland system will automatically apply the standard 10% AP discount to your price (that discount is in effect 365 days a year). But, if there are any good, special rates/discounts that come out later in the year, either for AP holders or just posted on the Disneyland website, you should be able to apply the new discount to your existing booking.

I have done that before - I had an existing reservation (room-only, not a package) and I ended up changing the type of discount it was, as well as the dates and even the hotel! Generally, that has not been a problem. It's when you book a package that you can run into some fees and things if you try to make a change to the booking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMuse View Post
Just wanted to say hi to the forum since it's been a few weeks since I posted last!

Can't wait for more information to come out and crossing all fingers and toes that holidays will appear by Nov 13-17!

And kinda hoping the Segway tours are coming back to DCA too!

Hello again, MyMuse!

Well, you know, we just found out that Halloween Time begins on 9/14 this year. Even though that was one of the dates I had in mind for a start date, I thought that they might be more likely to go with a 9/17 or 9/21 date.

The reason I bring up Halloween Time is that now that we know the season is starting on 9/14 - which is only the second Friday in September - it's entirely possible that the holiday season may begin on 11/9 or 11/12.

I keep thinking that 11/9 is too soon after Halloween Time, which will end on 10/31, but if they start putting up Christmas decorations and merchandise even before Halloween Time ends (which is what they will do), then Disneyland Resort could very well be ready for the official start of the holidays on 11/9...or Monday, 11/12.

I kind of think that 11/16 almost sounds like too late of a start for it since the holidays are sooooo popular at DLR now - more than ever before.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #2313
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMDisneyMom View Post
So I have a different question. We aren't going until Jan 1st through probably the 5th or 6th. Will we be missing anything? I really want to see the holiday decorations and going out before the holiday isn't an option.
Not really. The decorations will begin coming down the 7th.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #2314
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Santa Claus leaves after Christmas. There have been mixed reports about him being at the Reindeer Round-Up in his 'street clothes' after 12/25, but the sightings don't seem to be consistent enough for us to be be sure. And even if Santa stays at the Round-Up, he is gone from DCA and the 3 hotels.

Likewise, the strolling Carolers at the hotels and in the parks leave no later than a couple of days past Christmas. They are long gone before New Year's Eve.

The holiday merchandise also tends to dwindle quite a bit after 12/25, from most accounts.

These things may not make much of a difference to most people, though!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 05-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #2315
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Santa Claus leaves after Christmas. There have been mixed reports about him being at the Reindeer Round-Up in his 'street clothes' after 12/25, but the sightings don't seem to be consistent enough for us to be be sure. And even if Santa stays at the Round-Up, he is gone from DCA and the 3 hotels.
Last year he was in the Reindeer Roundup after Christmas in a green outfit. I sent my nephews pics showing how he went to Dsneyland after he worked Christmas Eve. He was also in the parade.

Quote:
The holiday merchandise also tends to dwindle quite a bit after 12/25, from most accounts.
I wouldn't say it dwindled, as I could find everything, but unlike previous years, there was no major sale. And after the 1st, it was moved back to the "Christmas Store". I kept putting off buying things hoping to get a great sale price, but since they didn't do the 25-40% off, I only ended up getting the "really really" wanted items...
Old 05-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #2316
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
Last year he was in the Reindeer Roundup after Christmas in a green outfit. I sent my nephews pics showing how he went to Dsneyland after he worked Christmas Eve. He was also in the parade.

I wouldn't say it dwindled, as I could find everything, but unlike previous years, there was no major sale. And after the 1st, it was moved back to the "Christmas Store". I kept putting off buying things hoping to get a great sale price, but since they didn't do the 25-40% off, I only ended up getting the "really really" wanted items...
Oh my goodness! Malcon10t, I'm so glad you posted that Santa photo from the Round-Up! Honestly, in all of the Christmas photos that have been posted in this thread and elsewhere, I don't think I have ever seen a single picture of Santa in a different outfit! Even the folks who said they saw Santa there post-Christmas never actually showed a photo. All I've ever seen is the typical Santa outfits that he wears at his different spots around the Resort up until Christmas, but never this jazzy green/plaid ensemble!

That is wonderful - thanks for posting it! Actual proof of Santa at the Round-Up after Christmas!

There was no major sale last year? I remember sales from previous years, but come to think of it, I don't think that anyone else mentioned a sale last year, and it didn't hit me that there might not be a big sale happening. I think I just assumed they had a big sale every year.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #2317
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
There was no major sale last year? I remember sales from previous years, but come to think of it, I don't think that anyone else mentioned a sale last year, and it didn't hit me that there might not be a big sale happening. I think I just assumed they had a big sale every year.
We are there every year from the 22nd to about the 3rd or 4th of Jan. There has ALWAYS been a sale, usually starting a day or two after CHristmas. So, needless to say, we kept checking with our eyes on a few items. There had been rumor there would not be a sale, but I kept thinking "Noooo, they ALWAYS have a sale..." But the 3rd was out last day, and they had moved all the Christmas items the day before back to the Christmas Store (by the photo shop).

In the past, Santa had also remained in DCA after Christmas in "after Christmas" clothes. I didn't specifically look for him last year, so I can't say he was there. By the time we usually hit the Cove Bar (near Santa area) he would have been gone.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:11 AM   #2318
Beee
Mouseketeer

aww santa looks so cute in his green plaid

Malcon10t I would love to spend Christmas Day at disneyland, that must be so fun. Unfortunately this year we miss Christmas Day completely thanks to flying into a different time zone.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #2319
MyMuse
From here...to there!

Location: North NJ (I don't know any Sopranos! or Real Housewives!)

Smile

Quote:
Hello again, MyMuse!

Well, you know, we just found out that Halloween Time begins on 9/14 this year. Even though that was one of the dates I had in mind for a start date, I thought that they might be more likely to go with a 9/17 or 9/21 date.

The reason I bring up Halloween Time is that now that we know the season is starting on 9/14 - which is only the second Friday in September - it's entirely possible that the holiday season may begin on 11/9 or 11/12.

I keep thinking that 11/9 is too soon after Halloween Time, which will end on 10/31, but if they start putting up Christmas decorations and merchandise even before Halloween Time ends (which is what they will do), then Disneyland Resort could very well be ready for the official start of the holidays on 11/9...or Monday, 11/12.

I kind of think that 11/16 almost sounds like too late of a start for it since the holidays are sooooo popular at DLR now - more than ever before.
Oh my, that is great news!!!

I'll be in LA from 11/9-11/13, then switching to (hopefully) the Disneyland Hotel. The 11/9 or 11/12 dates work for me, obvi not the 11/16 date, so I'm hoping for the best!

My wish list is the Disney Holiday Tour and the Segway Tour. Of course, I'm hoping Carsland will be calm enough to be able to spend some quality time there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post

I love that outfit on Santa!!!! Thank you for posting.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #2320
Mommyof2boys1118
Earning My Ears

We are going December 22- December 28. This will be our first Christmas at Disneyland. I am in a way terrified but we are going to do it. My biggest fear is the crowds. We can not change our days so we are going to brave it out. The reason why the crowds scare me so much is I have 2 boys and my youngest who will be close to three has sensory prossesing disorder and has a hard time with crowds, noise and a whole list of things.
We are going to do 6 or 7 day hopper tickets. We also know that we will be taking breaks midday. We are also prepared to take our youngest back to the room and one of us stay with our oldest.
This trip in general scares me since I do not know what to expect it is our frist big trip since his things came to light. Our last trip big trip he was only a year old and did ok but sleeped a lot.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #2321
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyof2boys1118 View Post
We are going December 22- December 28. This will be our first Christmas at Disneyland. I am in a way terrified but we are going to do it. My biggest fear is the crowds. We can not change our days so we are going to brave it out. The reason why the crowds scare me so much is I have 2 boys and my youngest who will be close to three has sensory prossesing disorder and has a hard time with crowds, noise and a whole list of things.
We are going to do 6 or 7 day hopper tickets. We also know that we will be taking breaks midday. We are also prepared to take our youngest back to the room and one of us stay with our oldest.
This trip in general scares me since I do not know what to expect it is our frist big trip since his things came to light. Our last trip big trip he was only a year old and did ok but sleeped a lot.
Mommyof2boys1118 -

Hello!

Well, first of all, you're in for a wonderful, special treat. The parks and hotels are absolutely beautiful during the season and it's a great way to celebrate the holidays in a festive way. I think that being in Disneyland on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day will be amazing. Plus, things like the Winter Castle lit up in icicles at night, the Reindeer Round-Up and It's a Small World Holiday will probably be big hits with your kids!

I can understand your concerns about crowds. There's no doubt that it will be very crowded during the time frame you are going. It's commonly known to be a crowded time. I don't think there's any point in denying that fact.

BUT, I think you have the right idea about how to manage everything! Getting the 6 or 7-day Hoppers is a good plan because it will allow you to kind of spread everything out and do the parks in small doses if need be, just to make it a bit easier on your youngest son.

Taking midday breaks and/or going back to the hotel is a fantastic idea - for people of all ages, to be honest! - and it will help everyone to kind of rest, decompress and de-stress for a while so you can re-enter the parks fully re-energized.

Take advantage of places like the Grand Californian Hotel lobby - which is open to everyone, whether or not they are staying at the hotel. That's a great location to sit and relax in comfortable chairs or sofas, with beverages or snacks, by the gorgeous Christmas tree. The lighting is dim so it is soothing on weary eyes. There is either a pianist, a guitarist or soft holiday music playing most of the time. You may even get there when the Carolers are taking requests by the tree. There's a fireplace you can sit next to (in a very dark little nook off of the lobby). And while there is chatting going on here and there, I find the noise level in the GCH lobby to be acceptable - not too overwhelming like it may be in the middle of the parks. It's a good place to take a break and stay in the middle of the holiday festivities, if you don't want to go all the way back to the hotel room.

Don't be scared! You'll get through it. We are all here for you! The crowds will probably get substantially worse on 12/26, so those last couple of days of your trip will most likely be the most packed. Try to get as much as you can done in the first few days of your trip!

I guess a good motto to remember is: Don't be scared. Be prepared.

And it sounds like you are prepared, with back-up plans in place! You'll have a wonderful, amazing trip!

Old 05-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #2322
6Smiles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyof2boys1118 View Post

As a Mom with a little girl with sensory issues I can tell you what we did. Ear muffs and cotton balls help with noise, bring "HIS" stroller and his "Comfort blanket/toy" to give him his "safety zone", bring gloves if he is touch sensitive to unfamiliar items, light up bracelets for darker areas and at night work great around ankles as well as wrists, and stroller. If he is an observer point out groupings of objects while in line and don't hesitate to to do calming touch therapy while in line (rubbing his back or feet if tolerated.) Try to find out while in lines now what calms him and if he's in therapy ask about techniques. I realize these techniques are accepted differently depending on the child and circumstances. Go onto Disney's website and show him the different areas and rides to familiarize him especially in the days leading up to the trip. We will be there at the same time. Hope that helps.
Kris
Old 05-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #2323
Mommyof2boys1118
Earning My Ears

Thank you. For the advice and the encouraging words. I do have a few questions about Christmas time.
We are thinking a low key Christmas dinner away from the park do you have any suggestions?
What type of weather are we looking at (we are used to cold and snow for winter)?
6SMiles have you done any of the character meals? If so which would you say is less overwhelming.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #2324
abby
Abby's Mom

Finally going back

Our last trip to DL was 12-2008. We have done a lot of traveling since then but not to DL. We have been discussing going back in December (I love the christmas stuff) and I found really good airfare in early December. So here I am planning away. Looking at going 12-2 to 12-7, hoping to avoid the weekend crowds. Any suggestions? Thanks

DH and Abby 12,

December 2008, PP Concierge December 2007
HOJO October 2006, DLH January 2006, DLH April 2005
Old 05-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #2325
Jamian
DIS Veteran

Another shot of DLR during the Holidays, this time from Downtown Disney:

Downtown Disney - West Coast Style by -Jamian-, on Flickr

DCL: 08/13 - Disney Dream | 05/14 - Disney Dream

View my Disney photography here:
SmugMug
flickr