Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #2221
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

We go every year for Christmas. We get to spend 2 weeks and just enjoy! Looking at all the pics remind me to start planning... Room ressies made!!
Old 03-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #2222
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
We go every year for Christmas. We get to spend 2 weeks and just enjoy! Looking at all the pics remind me to start planning... Room ressies made!!

Malcon10t -

Welcome to the Superthread! Thank you for joining us.

You posted 5 days ago and I am just now replying (pretty sad, isn't it?), but I definitely wanted to acknowledge your comment because you said something very interesting.

Did I understand correctly in that you go to Disneyland Resort every year for 2 weeks? Or do you spend 2 weeks in the general area and visit other places too? That's what stuck out to me - that's a very unusual thing to spend 2 weeks at DLR! Not very many people do it, and I'm not sure a lot of people would want to do it because they assume there is not much to see at DLR for 2 weeks straight (even during the holiday season, when there is so much to see!). They figure they would get bored.

I know that fellow DIS'er mariezp has done some 2-week trips to DLR, and I think (if I recall correctly) that aussietravellers has spent 2 weeks at DLR (I could be wrong on that, though)...but it is not very common at all. Walt Disney World almost necessitates 2 weeks - and even then, you probably still wouldn't get to everything! Disneyland is a bit different.

I didn't think that I could be a 2-week Disneyland vacationer. But I have realized by now that, based on my own patterns at DLR and the things I like to do, the time it takes to get these things done, etc., I would definitely need a good 2 weeks. I never thought I would need that much time, but I see how quickly time flies at DLR - and during the holiday season I am like a kid in a candy store. I can't get enough, and I can't get everything done that I need to do. For example, I like to spend a good several days by myself, doing nothing but taking photos. Other days I like to look in shops. Other days I like to spend with friends, hitting the rides we like. Maybe one day I like to go around and hit all of the PhotoPass locations a few times. In my trips, before you know it, 4 or 5 days have gone by in a split second and the trip is over! I don't even think a full 7-day week would be enough for me.

Anyway, so you've already made your reservation for this year's Christmas trip? You are one step ahead of me, that's for sure!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12

Last edited by Sherry E; 03-20-2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: typo & cleaned up a sentence
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #2223
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Yay, Shannon! I'm so glad for you that you're heading back to DLR, and are going to get in another holiday trip! I remember you had some big plans set for a while (it may have been plans for WDW and I can't recall), and then something came up in your family and you were not sure if the plans would go through. Correct? Or am I totally imagining that ever happened? And for a while you had plans to do Halloween at WDW and the holidays at DLR.

Anyway, I hope this December's trip goes off without a hitch for you.
Yes we were trying for a trip with my mom and sister November 2010 and we opted to skip it for our WDW trip (which was last September for the first Halloween party). The trip with mom and sister will now be July 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Malcon10t -
Did I understand correctly in that you go to Disneyland Resort every year for 2 weeks? Or do you spend 2 weeks in the general area and visit other places too? That's what stuck out to me - that's a very unusual thing to spend 2 weeks at DLR! Not very many people do it, and I'm not sure a lot of people would want to do it because they assume there is not much to see at DLR for 2 weeks straight (even during the holiday season, when there is so much to see!). They figure they would get bored.
Yep they spend 2 weeks at Xmas every year (plus a number of trips throughout the year). One of these times I'm going to hide in her suitcase!

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
Old 03-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #2224
basketballmom
Living in the Happiest Place in Texas!

I have always dreamed of Disneyland at Christmas! We have gone to DL every summer since 2005. (well, once to WDW) Now, we finally have an opportunity to go for CHRISTMAS, and I am stressing!!

I have read through this entire thread. My next mission is to search the trip report thread for people who were in DL on Christmas Day.

We know how to handle busy. We are early risers, fastpass collectors, and we know the ins and outs pretty well. (Me, DH, DD20, DD16, DD12) We have been on 4th of July weekend. I'm not sure why I'm letting the possibility of massive crowds worry me.

I can't decide if I should book a Disney hotel. Yes, it would be more money, but I am thinking more than one early park entry would be a definite bonus the week of Christmas.

I'm also worried about cold, rain, where to book meals on Christmas, if we should fly or drive..... UGH! you would think I did not want to do this!! I really, really do! Every year, I look at every picture of DL at Christmas I can find....and I dream about someday!

Thanks so much for letting me vent!! My girls are disney nerds like I am, and even they don't understand my worries. They are super excited!!

Janet
DL 2006 HoJo's
DL 2007 DLH
WDW 2008 POP/Contemporary
DL 2009 BW Stovall's
DL 2010 PPH
DL 2011 Park Vue
DL 2012 BW Stovall's
DL 2013 HoJo's & PPH
Old 03-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #2225
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballmom View Post
I have always dreamed of Disneyland at Christmas! We have gone to DL every summer since 2005. (well, once to WDW) Now, we finally have an opportunity to go for CHRISTMAS, and I am stressing!!

I have read through this entire thread. My next mission is to search the trip report thread for people who were in DL on Christmas Day.

We know how to handle busy. We are early risers, fastpass collectors, and we know the ins and outs pretty well. (Me, DH, DD20, DD16, DD12) We have been on 4th of July weekend. I'm not sure why I'm letting the possibility of massive crowds worry me.

I can't decide if I should book a Disney hotel. Yes, it would be more money, but I am thinking more than one early park entry would be a definite bonus the week of Christmas.

I'm also worried about cold, rain, where to book meals on Christmas, if we should fly or drive..... UGH! you would think I did not want to do this!! I really, really do! Every year, I look at every picture of DL at Christmas I can find....and I dream about someday!

Thanks so much for letting me vent!! My girls are disney nerds like I am, and even they don't understand my worries. They are super excited!!

Janet

Here is a Christmas trip report that I remembered. I hope it helps.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #2226
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Minnies1Mickey View Post
Yes we were trying for a trip with my mom and sister November 2010 and we opted to skip it for our WDW trip (which was last September for the first Halloween party). The trip with mom and sister will now be July 2013.

Yep they spend 2 weeks at Xmas every year (plus a number of trips throughout the year). One of these times I'm going to hide in her suitcase!
Shannon -

I don't blame you - I'd be hiding in the suitcase too! If I were going to spend 2 weeks at DLR, I would definitely pick the holiday season to do it - when I'd get the most bang for my buck.

Quote:

Janet

Janet -

Hello!

I'm so glad you've decided to vent to us! This is a good place to vent about Disneyland holiday trips, possible holiday trips, cancelled holiday trips, etc.

I hope you've enjoyed the thread and the photos so far!

The link that Michele gave you above was the first one I thought of as well (a TR by TheColtonsMom), and I have a link to it in Post #3 on Page 1 of this thread, but there have been other Christmas Eve & Day visitors who have posted before, and I am totally blanking out on who they are. (It's the old age setting in.)

I think that lapdwife is a Christmas Eve/Day visitor, but she doesn't do trip reports. I am pretty sure that at least a couple of Aussie DIS'ers do a Christmas trip every year.

Will you also be at DLR on Christmas Eve? If so, you'll get to see the adorable Christmas Eve Goodnight with the characters in their pajamas in Town Square, waving goodbye to everyone. I have never seen it in person, but I'd love to.

Good luck with all of your planning. I think that you will absolutely love your time at DLR for Christmas. If money allowed, I would definitely go over the actual Christmas holiday - just because I have a feeling that it feels extra special to wake up at DLR on Christmas Day.

As for whether or not to stay at a Disney hotel...there's no denying that it will be costly (there won't be any discounts for stays over the Christmas holiday). If you can swing it without going into financial ruin, I would say go for it. I have a feeling that it will feel extra special at the hotels on Christmas too, plus, as you said, the Magic Mornings will be helpful.

I can tell you that I absolutely loved coming downstairs in the morning at the Paradise Pier Hotel and being greeted by the gorgeous Christmas tree in the lobby, as well as seeing Santa posing for photos. And from there I just walked right through the Grand Californian Hotel's lobby and thoroughly enjoyed its festive atmosphere too. It's just a great way to start the day, and this was not even on Christmas! So I can't imagine how special it must feel on the actual holiday.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12
Old 03-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #2227
kaoden39
Hugs

One thought too, I believe that if you stay at the resort hotels you are guaranteed entry into the park. To me that is a big plus.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #2228
basketballmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
One thought too, I believe that if you stay at the resort hotels you are guaranteed entry into the park. To me that is a big plus.
This too.... another reason for resort hotels! And I have heard rumors that DCA may start MM after Carsland opens.

Thank you all for the quick replies and trip report information. Y'all are the greatest! I will probably be booking sometime in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Sometimes I will book through Disney (even though it is more expensive) to be able to pay it off over time.

Our dates should be Dec. 20-26. If I'm going to brave the crowds and spend the money, I want to be IN Disneyland ON Christmas Day!!
DL 2006 HoJo's
DL 2007 DLH
DL 2009 BW Stovall's
DL 2010 PPH
DL 2011 Park Vue
DL 2012 BW Stovall's
DL 2013 HoJo's & PPH
Old 03-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #2229
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
....Our dates should be Dec. 20-26. If I'm going to brave the crowds and spend the money, I want to be IN Disneyland ON Christmas Day!!
Janet -

Okay, so this answers my question from my previous post about if you will be there on Christmas Eve.

So you will get to see the Christmas Eve Goodnight with the characters if you stick around until closing. From what folks have said, Disneyland closes a bit earlier on Christmas Eve so the CM's can go home, but I don't know if that will hold true again this year. When is Christmas Eve this year? Will it be on a Monday?

Hmmm...maybe Disneyland will close early on Christmas Eve if it falls on a weeknight, but not on weekends.

In any case, you'll be there to see it!

Old 03-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #2230
basketballmom

Yes, Christmas Eve is Monday. Which means we will be there not only Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, but the WEEKEND before... I always try to avoid weekends... oh well!!

I hope, hope, hope they will have the Goodnight! We will shut the park down that night, no matter when it closes.
DL 2006 HoJo's
DL 2007 DLH
DL 2009 BW Stovall's
DL 2010 PPH
DL 2011 Park Vue
DL 2012 BW Stovall's
DL 2013 HoJo's & PPH
Old 03-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #2231
Topolina
Earning My Ears

My family and I went to Disneyland this last Christmas from 12/20-12/26. I can't post a link to my trip report, but if you search under my name you'll find it (title is " Trip Report 12/20-12/26- Thank You Dis Boards"). Within it you will see that Christmas Eve the characters did their "goodnights" at the Main Street Train Station at 9:30pm/10:30pm/11:30pm and that the park closed at midnight on Christmas Eve & Christmas Day. Hope the info in my trip report helps you and feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited by Topolina; 03-21-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: wrote wrong title
Old 03-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #2232
tlovesdis
Disneyland Obsessed!!!
My room has a Mickey theme!

subscribing to this thread! We are booked at the Disneyland Hotel November 15-19th. Hoping the holiday season starts on the 12th or 16th!!!

Heading back to my second home for two days of fun - March 9-10, 2014!!
Old 03-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #2233
kaoden39
Hugs

Quote:
This too.... another reason for resort hotels! And I have heard rumors that DCA may start MM after Carsland opens.

Thank you all for the quick replies and trip report information. Y'all are the greatest! I will probably be booking sometime in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Sometimes I will book through Disney (even though it is more expensive) to be able to pay it off over time.

Our dates should be Dec. 20-26. If I'm going to brave the crowds and spend the money, I want to be IN Disneyland ON Christmas Day!!

That would be nice. I hate that part of having an AP. No MM unless we stay onsite. That isn't going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlovesdis View Post
subscribing to this thread! We are booked at the Disneyland Hotel November 15-19th. Hoping the holiday season starts on the 12th or 16th!!!
I am hoping for the 12th, because we are going to be there the 12th through the 16th.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #2234
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Topolina -

Thank you so much for speaking up about your Christmas trip and trip report! There have been a lot of questions in the past couple of years about actual Christmas Eve and Christmas Day visits, but there seem to be very few people in this thread who have had experience with those specific dates,so it's great when some of our Christmas Eve/Day travelers speak up.

Now that you mention it, I recall seeing your TR over in the TR section, and I vividly remember your sentence about getting all the information you needed about Disneyland at Christmas time without ever having to ask a question! That's amazing!

Janet/basketballmom -

While I can't speak about being at Disneyland on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, I have definitely been to DLR on the weekend immediately before Christmas - 3 years in a row - and it got progressively more crowded over the years. In 2009 it was crazy crowded and that was when I decided to start making my Disneyland holiday trips a bit earlier in December from now on!

But each year could be different, so you never know. I have a feeling that how crowded it may or may not be also has something to do with how close the weekend before Christmas actually is to Christmas, if that makes sense. Some weekends might be several days before the actual holiday, while some weekends before might be just a couple of days.

Here is the link to Topolina's TR, for anyone else out there who needs it!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2853134

Old 03-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #2235
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlovesdis View Post
Welcome, Tina!

I'm thinking it's got to be 11/12 or 11/16 that's the official start date - or at least in that week, between those 2 dates - and, of course, certain things will be in place a couple of days before then (even IASW Holiday, perhaps). As much as I would like to think that 11/9 will be the start date, it will be cutting it close. But you never know - maybe it will be 11/9 after all.

Oh,and Topolina -

I forgot to say that you mentioned something in your TR about smelling cinnamon when the snow fell on Main Street. I did not get to smell it last year, but people reported that there was a gingerbread smell. Could that have been what it was? Either way, whether it was cinnamon or gingerbread, it seems as though the aroma was brand new to the snow experience in 2011. There were no scents of any goodies when I stood on Main Street for the snow in 2010.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: