Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #1441
Monny2AE
DIS Veteran

It just started raining here so I'm squeezing in some DIS time before the power goes out. Our power company called yesterday to let people know they are expecting widespread outages that may last for days. That's the first time we've ever gotten a call like that so it was bit unnerving. Hopefully they are overreacting. Now is when I wish we didn't live amongst 100ft+ trees. No worries we're all set with gas for the generator, lots of junk food and are ready to sleep in the basement tonight. Praying everyone in the path of Irene stays safe!

Monny2AE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #1442
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monny2AE View Post
It just started raining here so I'm squeezing in some DIS time before the power goes out. Our power company called yesterday to let people know they are expecting widespread outages that may last for days. That's the first time we've ever gotten a call like that so it was bit unnerving. Hopefully they are overreacting. Now is when I wish we didn't live amongst 100ft+ trees. No worries we're all set with gas for the generator, lots of junk food and are ready to sleep in the basement tonight. Praying everyone in the path of Irene stays safe!
Oh no Kim!! I have never heard of them calling either!!! Sounds like you have a good plan and lots of food!!!! Ck in when you can!

Disney Mommy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #1443
Pluto_fan
DIS Veteran

Kim and all the eastern Snowbirds--we hope you came through OK! First an earthquake, and then a hurricane. Good grief. When you can, please let us know how you're doing.

Today is DD's first day of school. She was so excited! Mommy has mixed feelings. We went on Friday to meet her new teacher and see the classroom. Her teacher seems very nice. It's a (southern) Belgian preschool, so it's all in French. DD's teacher last year spoke English quite well, and I'm not sure how much French DD learned (she won't speak it at home...probably because she knows we wouldn't understand her!). But this year's teacher seems to speak French almost exclusively, so hopefully DD will learn more of it. And she can come home and teach the rest of us. Each class has a fruit name, and DD is very excited to be in the banana class. (last year she was a mango...no smilie for that!)

So now I'm supposed to be getting started on all the things I've been putting off until school started again (the boys started a couple weeks ago). Like going back to the gym... I have a dentist appointment later this week, I need to get my passport renewed, I desperately need a haircut (guess I should do that before the passport picture)...I should write all this stuff down.

Hope you all have a happy Disney day!
Disneyland Aug 2006, daytrip Mar 1989, daytrip Jun 1985, daytrip
Pluto_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #1444
Monny2AE
DIS Veteran

Checking in on my cell phone. Power went out Sat at 9:30pm and is still out. Lots of trees down but thankfully none on my house! Hope everyone is safe! Lots of down time to plan my trip at least.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #1445
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto_fan View Post
Kim and all the eastern Snowbirds--we hope you came through OK! First an earthquake, and then a hurricane. Good grief. When you can, please let us know how you're doing.

Today is DD's first day of school. She was so excited! Mommy has mixed feelings. We went on Friday to meet her new teacher and see the classroom. Her teacher seems very nice. It's a (southern) Belgian preschool, so it's all in French. DD's teacher last year spoke English quite well, and I'm not sure how much French DD learned (she won't speak it at home...probably because she knows we wouldn't understand her!). But this year's teacher seems to speak French almost exclusively, so hopefully DD will learn more of it. And she can come home and teach the rest of us. Each class has a fruit name, and DD is very excited to be in the banana class. (last year she was a mango...no smilie for that!)

So now I'm supposed to be getting started on all the things I've been putting off until school started again (the boys started a couple weeks ago). Like going back to the gym... I have a dentist appointment later this week, I need to get my passport renewed, I desperately need a haircut (guess I should do that before the passport picture)...I should write all this stuff down.

Hope you all have a happy Disney day!
You have a need for a list I would say!!! I think that is so cute that each class is a fruit!!!!!! What an awesome idea! I know you are happy/sad to be sending the baby off....You have prob told us before, but how long are y'all going to be stationed over there?
Quote:
Checking in on my cell phone. Power went out Sat at 9:30pm and is still out. Lots of trees down but thankfully none on my house! Hope everyone is safe! Lots of down time to plan my trip at least.

glad you are safe...I know you are wishing you had power! it's so hot here there is no way we could stand being here without any power for that long! It's still in the triple digits....

Old 08-29-2011, 12:01 PM   #1446
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

We lost power, too, and it's still off. But we had no damage and no water in the basement! Could have been a lot worse!
Old 08-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #1447
Lil'Mermaid75
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by snykymom View Post
We lost power, too, and it's still off. But we had no damage and no water in the basement! Could have been a lot worse!
So glad to hear you guys are safe that neither of you have sustained a lot of horrible damage.... Hope you both get your power soon!
Lil'Mermaid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #1448
Dancegrl624
DIS Veteran

Good morning everyone! Haven't been on in awhile, so wanted to come by and say hello. I hope everyone is doing ok with the crazy weather that's been hitting the east coast. The earthquake was felt by some in Buffalo, but we didn't feel anything. We were also far enough away to not getting any remnants of Irene. My sister's boyfriend lives in Albany, and they had some pretty bad flooding.

Last week for me was awesome. I got to see one of my best friends quite a lot due to all the wedding stuff. I miss her so much! Her wedding was just beautiful and so much fun. I'll post pics eventually!!!

Completed Trip Reports
A Sept 2013 Solo Trip to the World It's A Cat World After All A Sept 2012 TRCelebrations Galore & Free Dining Too! A Sept 2012 PTR
Take Small Children By The Hand...a Sept Trip Report "I Want To Go Back!!!...a Sept 2010 PTR
Heat,Headaches but So Much Fun! My June Birthday TR Wishes Do Come True!...a Birthday PTR A Surprise Fit for a Princess...PTR and TR
1984-1st trip, 1987-offsite, 1991-offsite, 1992-Contemporary (won that trip!), 1997-ASMu, 2002-offsite (DH's 1st trip),
2006-offsite (DD's 1st trip), Jan 2009-offsite, June 2009- Birthday trip at Pop,Sept 2010-Pop Century,Aug 2012-Boardwalk Inn,Sept 2012-POFQ (DS's 1st trip),Sept 2013-CR (Earmarked Conference), March 2014-DCL AEP on the Magic
Dancegrl624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #1449
Monny2AE
DIS Veteran

Glad everyone is safe and didn't have any major damage! We finally got our power back a little after 11pm last night. It's amazing how spoiled you get with modern conveniences. I was so excited to vacuum, turn on the dishwasher and start the mountains of laundry this morning! Thankfully having the power go out was our only trouble. A friend of mine had her roof leak and it also flooded her basement that they just finished renovating a few months ago. It could have been much worse for us.

I took this pic from my driveway looking down our road. The tree fell into my neighbors front yard and just rested on the phone and cable lines. Funny thing is our phone didn't go out until after they took the tree off of it.

I think there's a backyard under all those leaves! It looks like fall only they are green! I'm just thankful all those big ole trees are still standing and didn't end up on our house!

And some happier pics...

Andrew's first day of school last Thursday. He was so excited to go back today. All the other counties around us are still closed but our county opened with limited bus routes.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #1450
snykymom

Thanks. Still no power, though - that's a lot of frozen food ruined!

OK, so my DH says he doesn't care about the animals. I can get a 1 BR at SSR for significantly less than the one at AKV. Anyone ever stay there? Can anyone tell me about it? Do all the 1 BRs have balconies? I know you can walk to DTD from there, but that's not a big deal to me since I have little use for DTD.

I'm so confused!!
Old 08-30-2011, 11:02 AM   #1451
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Kim...I know you are glad to have that power back on!!! That is a LOT of trees!!! Good to know he's excited about school!! they are tooo cute!

Old 08-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #1452
Monny2AE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancegrl624 View Post
Good morning everyone! Haven't been on in awhile, so wanted to come by and say hello. I hope everyone is doing ok with the crazy weather that's been hitting the east coast. The earthquake was felt by some in Buffalo, but we didn't feel anything. We were also far enough away to not getting any remnants of Irene. My sister's boyfriend lives in Albany, and they had some pretty bad flooding.

Last week for me was awesome. I got to see one of my best friends quite a lot due to all the wedding stuff. I miss her so much! Her wedding was just beautiful and so much fun. I'll post pics eventually!!!
Glad you were spared from Irene! Congrats to your friend getting married! They are honeymooning in Disney right?

Old 08-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #1453
Lil'Mermaid75
DIS Veteran

Kim - great pics of the kids! Love the goofy shots - those are typical around our house. DS is one big goofball! LOL
Lil'Mermaid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #1454
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snykymom View Post
Thanks. Still no power, though - that's a lot of frozen food ruined!

OK, so my DH says he doesn't care about the animals. I can get a 1 BR at SSR for significantly less than the one at AKV. Anyone ever stay there? Can anyone tell me about it? Do all the 1 BRs have balconies? I know you can walk to DTD from there, but that's not a big deal to me since I have little use for DTD.

I'm so confused!!

We stayed at SSR for one night in March. But we only had a studio, so I'm not much help there. We had a balcony on our studio. Our room was quite a walk from the main building and the bus stops. But, they have since put in another theme pool which is in the Paddock section where we stayed.
One thing I did not like there was that the gift shop and food court were basically all together. So the food lines when it was busy would run through the shop and it was all congested. They had some good food options there though. It's a beautiful and laid back resort, although I think it's quite spread out. I felt like it was a little less "deluxe" partly because the room entrances are from the outside rather than an inside corridor. Our room decor was nothing fabulous theme-wise, but it was nice, just seemed a bit dated. Or maybe the theme just didn't do it for me.

That's about all I can think of. It took us forever to get to MK our night we were there. Of course we missed a bus by "that much"!
Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:14 AM   #1455
snykymom

Thanks, Sheree. I guess I'm confused though - how can you have balconies if they're outside corridors?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: