Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #2791
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
Sounds like you would be better off without the DDP then. Especially if you are doing CL. And I'm like you, sometimes an appetizer is my meal. And I'd rather have a snack/dessert a few hours after dinner. Not at dinner.

It is so freeing without the DDP!!

It used to be the better deal, but not so much anymore...and places like the 50s prime time, she and I could split a plate! I never eat all that food!!!!!

Disney Mommy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #2792
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Mommy 3 View Post
It used to be the better deal, but not so much anymore...and places like the 50s prime time, she and I could split a plate! I never eat all that food!!!!!

I agree. It was a good deal, once upon a time. Not so much now.

Yeah, DS11 and I can even share CS meals sometimes. A lot of times the portions are just way bigger than I would normally eat. And when you are paying OOP you can share and the kids can order off the children's menu (at most places) even if they are 10 or older and no one cares!
Momof2Disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #2793
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post

I agree. It was a good deal, once upon a time. Not so much now.

Yeah, DS11 and I can even share CS meals sometimes. A lot of times the portions are just way bigger than I would normally eat. And when you are paying OOP you can share and the kids can order off the children's menu (at most places) even if they are 10 or older and no one cares!
Good to know!! I wasn't sure if they would let her order off that menu or not if she would rather...That was the next question! LOL!

Old 01-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #2794
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Heck, they let adults order off the kid menu!

We did a lot of sharing this last trip - 3 meals fed all four of us, sometimes only 2 meals!
Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #2795
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Heck, they let adults order off the kid menu!

We did a lot of sharing this last trip - 3 meals fed all four of us, sometimes only 2 meals!
I Know sometimes I want to order off the kids menu! LOL!!

Old 01-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #2796
crzyred
I'm lucky any of my clothes are clean, let alone wrinkle free!
I don't do the whole thinking thing!

I order off the kids menu!! My sister and I also split meals. Depending on where we are, lets say just one of the burger places, we order 1 double cheeseburger with an extra bun. We also have water bottles so no need for drinks, and we split the fries. So we pay around $5 a person.
crzyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #2797
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

You can definitely split, share, order off the kids menu, etc. at all the CS places. And the only TS places I have heard of that will give you a hard time about it (and will force your 10 year old to order from the adult menu) are the 2 TS restaurants in Mexico and the Plaza Restaurant at MK. So we tend to steer clear of those places!
Momof2Disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #2798
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

It looks very promising, so I'm getting excited! My little sister sounded excited about it too, and my parents are helping to foot her bill.

Food is turning out to be more complicated than I thought it would be. I truly thought that I wouldn't be able to get a lot of places I wanted, so I thought I'd be content only booking 3 or 4 table service for the whole trip, but weird things are popping up. Ohana, for instance, had 3 different seating times for the evening I wanted to go.
No Be Our Guest, but I think I can make my peace with that, as long as we can get in for lunch, especially since it seems the only huge difference is the alcohol, which isn't a draw for us.

Does anyone know if they suddenly started allowing the Wanyama Safari for non-AKL guests? It keeps popping up on my searches, and I wanted to surprise Logan with something, since we'll be bringing along a babysitter. I'm already planning a night in a separate hotel, but I thought at least another evening out would be fun. Right now I have Victoria & Albert's booked for us (another surprise find) but I'm not sure if that's the best place to put our money since it's supposed to be a surprise for Logan.
He always takes a million pictures on KS, so I think he might prefer the animals over V&A. It also might be fun to go back to AKL, since that's where we honeymooned.

Another exciting find was that Universal is running a promotion where active duty military get a free three day ticket. My little sister LOVES Harry Potter, and we hadn't really considered going before due to the added cost, but since my sister would pay for her own ticket, it will only be around $90 extra plus a rental car.

I just have to be careful about getting carried away and planning too much.
My biggest dilemma is whether or not to book a character meal with Gideon. He's familiar with the characters, but I think the size would terrify him.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #2799
Momto2PrncChrmgs
DIS Veteran

Just thought I'd check in to say Hi! Sorting here waiting for the bus to Epcot and my kids are driving me a little nuts so I'm trying to ignore them.
We stayed at POR this trip and i think it's now made me a resort snob. I love it here and I'm not sure I'll be able to go back to Pop. The made to order pasta and salads are awesome! We've enjoyed the pool and slide (and a late night in the hot tub with the beverages while my MIL and niece stayed with the kids). We got to see a little of Yee Ha Bob last night, but it was so crazy busy we had to hang around an stalk for a awhile before we could sit, and it wasn't in the actual lounge part.

We've tried some new places to eat:
Raglan Road, TH dinner, and CRT breakfast, all I which were awesome. The only minor disappointment in food was the major shrinkage of the fish at Yorkshire. after a few grey goose slushes, I Forgot I was still hungry. Haha!

Hope you all are having a fabulous Friday. We're back home tomorrow evening. Booooooo!!! Wondering if we should book the bounce back for 30% off. I wish they had 2014 dates though.

1977-Off Site May 2000-Off Site April/May 2005-ASMo May 2007-POP May 2008-POP Jan. 2009-CBR Jan. 2011-POP Jan. 2013-POR Sept. 2014-POP
Momto2PrncChrmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #2800
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2PrncChrmgs View Post
Just thought I'd check in to say Hi! Sorting here waiting for the bus to Epcot and my kids are driving me a little nuts so I'm trying to ignore them.
We stayed at POR this trip and i think it's now made me a resort snob. I love it here and I'm not sure I'll be able to go back to Pop. The made to order pasta and salads are awesome! We've enjoyed the pool and slide (and a late night in the hot tub with the beverages while my MIL and niece stayed with the kids). We got to see a little of Yee Ha Bob last night, but it was so crazy busy we had to hang around an stalk for a awhile before we could sit, and it wasn't in the actual lounge part.

We've tried some new places to eat:
Raglan Road, TH dinner, and CRT breakfast, all I which were awesome. The only minor disappointment in food was the major shrinkage of the fish at Yorkshire. after a few grey goose slushes, I Forgot I was still hungry. Haha!

Hope you all are having a fabulous Friday. We're back home tomorrow evening. Booooooo!!! Wondering if we should book the bounce back for 30% off. I wish they had 2014 dates though.
Yes girl!! Book it!! They didnt have one offered the last couple of times for us....
I am curious to stay there...my hubby likes the proximity for the Deluxes, but I would sure like to save some $$$!

Old 01-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #2801
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Becca - glad your trip is looking so promising! Lots of nice military deals! Are you staying at Shades of Green? Sorry, I'm no help with the safari question. I know they have like 3 different ones now. Some only to Club level AKL guests, some open to AKL guests, some may be for anyone.

Jenny - POR is so nice - I also think the food options are great there! Glad you're having fun - YES book bounce back!! You can always change it later, but you can't get it if you don't do it now!

Hope you all enjoy the weekend! I've got 3 days off!! Going to mostly stay in - it may not get above zero for a couple days! Brrr!!
Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #2802
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

I got back a week ago; sorry I didn't get back on to report!

We were at POR in a Royal Room for 3 nights, and had a great time. Eighty degrees most of the days, but humid - more like June than January! The rooms were really nice and comfortable, and cute. I got a really good deal on the room (standard view, but right next to a garden view one), and I don't really like the Bayou portion, so I'll probably stick with the Royal Rooms to guarantee the Manor section if we go back to POR.

I liked the new Test Track - it was fun. I didn't really care for Fantasyland. Enchanted Tales with Belle was a disappointment. The queue was way too long and boring - no interactivity, lots of just standing. They used to have multiple lines snaking through each other (think Thunder Mountain), so you could never tell exactly how long the line was. No more. The effects were OK but not enough for the wait. If you have kids who want to be part of the story, or get a special photo with Belle, it's OK. But for grown ups - not so much.

And I'm really disappointed that you can see all the construction vehicles and all the tracks under construction for the Seven Dwarfs Mine ride. They could have made the walls taller and hidden it, but you can see it from everywhere in MK. Totally destroys the magic.

Lunch at Be Our Guest was good.

We did have a bounce-back in the middle of the booklet that we got at check-in. Even if you know all the info in the books, don't forget to check inside all the info for a bounce-back!

I booked POFQ for the first week of Food & Wine with the 30% bounce-back!

Hope all is well with everyone!
Old 01-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #2803
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

Oh, and I'm now planning for my cruise in 2 weeks! Yay!!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #2804
Momto2PrncChrmgs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snykymom
Oh, and I'm now planning for my cruise in 2 weeks! Yay!!
You just got back from Disney AND you're going on a cruise?? Awesome!

We just got back last night, or I should say THIS MORNING! Our 620pm flight was delayed to 935, so by the time we got home, it was well after 1am FL time, midnight here. Southwest did give everyone a $100 flight voucher, so I was pleased with that. We tried to get Magical Express to delay our pickup so we could at least wait at the resort, but they wouldn't, so we spent a fabulous 5 hours at MCO. We did find some of the comfy Southwest seats that have the outlets and iPod jacks so everyone could stay charged up. I'm gals our friends who have two little girls took an earlier flight home! They ALL would've been miserable. My kids and nieces all did really well with they delay. Thank God the McDonald's stayed open.

We decided not to book bounce back since they didn't have any dates for 2014. We have a beach trip planned this summer, so if we go back to Disney right away, well want to wait until next marathon weekend or maybe the Princess.

1977-Off Site May 2000-Off Site April/May 2005-ASMo May 2007-POP May 2008-POP Jan. 2009-CBR Jan. 2011-POP Jan. 2013-POR Sept. 2014-POP
Momto2PrncChrmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #2805
disneyshakeygirl
DIS Veteran

Lucky, snykymom! I'm sorry New Fantasyland was such a disappointment.
disneyshakeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: