Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #2386
sarbah77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monny2AE View Post
When are you considering in January? We're tossing around either January 19-26 or the first week in May. I just got the kids school calendar and there is a week in each month that we might be able to swing it so they don't miss much school. It's still all up in the air yet though.
We're flying down on the 24th for a (Disney) cruise that leaves on the 26th. Cool!!

Not sure we're going to Disney, though. My husband has Limits, so it might be Universal Studios for us this time.

sarbah77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #2387
Lil'Mermaid75
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbah77 View Post
We're flying down on the 24th for a (Disney) cruise that leaves on the 26th. Cool!!

Not sure we're going to Disney, though. My husband has Limits, so it might be Universal Studios for us this time.
My DH does not do "thrill" rides, so at least for us a trip to Universal is not in the cards...it's a waste of money (although I would LOVE it), so that gives us no distractions from Disney.
Lil'Mermaid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #2388
Lil'Mermaid75
DIS Veteran

I am so excited!!! After months of trying....I finally scored an O'Hana reservation for our trip!! It's a smidgen later than I would've liked, but I'm not complaining!!! It works perfectly, though, because it's on our planned AK day, so we can now stay as late as we want there (although I don't imagine it'll be that late) and then head to the Poly! SO EXCITED!!! We just made final payment today, so I knew there was always a chance that one would open up with that happening. YEAH!!
Old 08-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #2389
Monny2AE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancegrl624 View Post
I think my ticker has gone bonkers along with my brain! We leave 3 weeks from toady!!! Actually, 3 weeks from this exact moment (9am EST) we'll have landed at MCO already! We are scheduled to land at 8:45am and that puts a smile on my face.

Ok....I changed my ticker. I couldn't look at it anymore. Sad though because it was reaching the end! It said 3 weeks and 2 days until our next vacation and it was making me mad.
Hooray for 3 weeks til Disney!!!! It's great that you arrive so early and have the whole first day to play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Mommy 3 View Post
Kim...we have been at Disney that same week in January,...it's good!! The weather can be warmish, or a little cooler, but it was still a great time to go!!
Meghan~my tickers do that sometimes too...they have an extra day..but I know your little group is getting excited!!!!!
If we go in January it will be the third time we have gone that week! The crowds are always low. The weather isn't hot. I think DH likes it because it's around his bday on the 27th. Lucky duck has spent his birthday at Disney twice so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbah77 View Post

We're thinking of adding a day at Universal too. DS is into Harry Potter these days. I just don't know if it's worth the added cost to spend a day there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'Mermaid75 View Post
I am so excited!!! After months of trying....I finally scored an O'Hana reservation for our trip!! It's a smidgen later than I would've liked, but I'm not complaining!!! It works perfectly, though, because it's on our planned AK day, so we can now stay as late as we want there (although I don't imagine it'll be that late) and then head to the Poly! SO EXCITED!!! We just made final payment today, so I knew there was always a chance that one would open up with that happening. YEAH!!
Yay for scoring an Ohana ressie AND for making your final payment!

Monny2AE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #2390
disneyshakeygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Congrats! I've always wanted to go to O'Hana, you'll have to tell us all about it!

I've been home for two weeks (as of tomorrow) and am getting settled before heading back to work next week. This will be my final year with my charges, as they will be starting school in September 2013 and will no longer need me. Then the great job hunt starts! I'll be looking into a job with the school board as an ECE (which is what I graduated from college as) but would prefer to be remain as a nanny.

I hope everyone is doing well!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #2391
sarbah77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My DH does not do "thrill" rides, so at least for us a trip to Universal is not in the cards...it's a waste of money (although I would LOVE it), so that gives us no distractions from Disney.
My DH didn't used to, but I think he hated being shown up by his wife. Plus, we've never been and I've always wanted to. We find that when we end up on Disney property, we're good little consumers and we just don't want to leave.

Though, I did have a moment earlier tonight where I wondered "hey, is it cheaper in a Disney value, compared to what I've booked near the airport?" But then I wondered about car rental and transportation to the ship. I'm not sure we'd get a good deal at Disney for the car rental and it's just not convenient to pick up the car at the airport, then drive back, turn the car in, and then wait to catch the Disney bus to the pier. Oh well. Maybe some magic bargain rate will appear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monny2AE View Post
We're thinking of adding a day at Universal too. DS is into Harry Potter these days. I just don't know if it's worth the added cost to spend a day there.
Costco sells tickets and I need to see what the price is v. what Universal sells. I think they're three day tickets, though, which isn't super-useful. It's just too bad we'll be sooooooooo close!

I've got so much going on these days. My office has, techincally, been understaffed since last August. At that point, our receptionist pretty much quit with no notice and our department manager was on medical leave. We were never allowed to replace the receptionist, our manager returned, then announced she was retiring. Just prior to her retirement, another coworker moved to Utah. Then the new manager started (with a little overlap) and, as of yesterday, Utah-coworker will be replaced starting Tuesday, for a 9.5 month position... and then on the 17th we have a new position, replacing the receptionist, but it's only 60%.

In addition to that, sometime between now and 2014, I'm being moved out of my office and into another space, in order to create a business office. I'll still be working FOR my department, they're just seating me somewhere else, with other people from other departments, so we can be a "team" and help each other out. It's crazy, especially since when another department needs help, they generally call and say "hey, can you?" and we say "yes." I'm not sure why it needs to be more formal. It's not a money saver; they're hiring at least two more people to create this office, one of whom will earn a boatload, so. Anyway, it's frustrating.

But, we're going on vacation in 15 days. Then, I'm going to the New York Sheep & Wool festival in October. Then, it's the holidays and then CRUISE!

Whew.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #2392
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Oh Sarah....your job I don't think I would like it!! It's a hassle to say the least, huh! But lots of good travels coming up for you!!!

Disney Mommy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #2393
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

Sorry it's taken me so long to post, but I'm back from Alaska. And it was AMAZING!! Those of you who friended me on Facebook can see the pictures; anyone else want to do so, PM me and I'll give you my Facebook name!

We had the most fabulous weather, too - even though it's a rain forest, we had beautiful clear weather! We saw glaciers that are usually covered in fog and clouds, got into every area we wanted, and even got sunburned while kayaking!

Unfortunately, I then got some sort of virus; the coughing has been making me crazy! But the doc says there's nothing to do about it, so I cough!

Hope everyone has a great labor day!

snykymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #2394
Lil'Mermaid75
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snykymom View Post
Sorry it's taken me so long to post, but I'm back from Alaska. And it was AMAZING!! Those of you who friended me on Facebook can see the pictures; anyone else want to do so, PM me and I'll give you my Facebook name!

We had the most fabulous weather, too - even though it's a rain forest, we had beautiful clear weather! We saw glaciers that are usually covered in fog and clouds, got into every area we wanted, and even got sunburned while kayaking!

Unfortunately, I then got some sort of virus; the coughing has been making me crazy! But the doc says there's nothing to do about it, so I cough!

So glad you had a great trip! It is never fun coming home sick!
Old 08-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #2395
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snykymom View Post

I hope I have such good weather when we go next year. Glad you had a good time! I want to hear about the itinerary and ports you went to - I'll send you a pm for FB.
Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #2396
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
I hope I have such good weather when we go next year. Glad you had a good time! I want to hear about the itinerary and ports you went to - I'll send you a pm for FB.
The itinerary was:
Whittier (Anchorage's port)
Hubbard Glacier (sailing only)
Glacier Bay (sailing only)
Skagway
Juneau
Ketchikan
At Sea
Vancouver

I booked all the excursions off the ship to try to get smaller crowds. In Skagway, we took a Chilkoot Tour - up to Fraser, BC on the White Pass Railroad, then a bus into the Yukon to Emerald Lake, and a bus back. For us, it was too much time in a bus.

In Juneau, we went whale watching with Orca Enterprises. I cannot recommend them and Captain Larry more highly! We saw lots of humpbacks, sea lions, bald eagles. Absolutely breathtaking and a wonderful boat & crew. Then they dropped us for an hour at Mendenhall Glacier, picked us up and took us back to the pier.

In Ketchikan, we did a sea kayak trip with Southeast Kayaks. They only take 6 people out at a time, but it turns out that we were the only 2 who booked our time. What a phenomenal trip! We saw beautifully deserted coves, bald eagles, jumping salmon. I think the other animals were hiding from the sun, but it didn't matter - we had a great time. They also served us smoked salmon that they have canned specially for them; we ordered a case!

If Alaska is on your bucket list, just go!

snykymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #2397
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info - I'll be checking out your pictures on FB!
We are hoping to do whale watching and I think it was going to be in Juneau so I'll have to look those guys up.

We're going to visit our new baby great-niece (Dave's nephew and wife's baby) tonight! She was about a month premature, and is now 2 months old. I went to Target and got some cute Disney onesies! Sarah is excited because they have a dachshund and she loves those!

Going to the outlets tomorrow (wish there was a Disney one) and to my brothers for a meal. He never has us over - he only lives a half hour away, but he usually comes to our side of town. He got some new furniture and fixed up some stuff at his house, so we'll go hang out for a while. Then on Monday we rest up and go to bed early - first day of school is Tuesday!!!

Hope you all have a nice long weekend!!
Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #2398
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Sheree...I bet she is teeny tiny!!!!! How sweet!! I know you and the girls are feeling bittersweet about school!!! We don't have too many plans for this 3 day,..hanging out here at home and working on some projects that need to be completed. In our upstairs school room, we are adding a closet so that when we sell, it can be considered another bedroom. Mike started on it a couple of months ago, but then he had to have that surgery and couldn't do anything for about 5 weeks~so this weekend we are finishing it. He's letting each of the kids do different jobs to finish it, caulking, hanging the trim, putting on the doorknob,...we will paint tomorrow.. Also, we have to hang a new blind in the window. fun, fun, fun.
Last week we started cleaning out the weeds and pruning in the flower beds,..got 2 out of the 3 beds finished!! Hung up my pretty fall wreath and got a few mums and a fall yard flag. I am not doing that last bed for a while! I was sooo sore!! LOL...and it's gotten really hot again this weekend-- in a week or so, it'll cool off again and I will work on it then...plus I just got tired of messing with it!
Hope all of you enjoy your Labor Day weekend and if your kids go back to school Tuesday hope that they all have great mornings and a fun 1st day!!!

Disney Mommy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #2399
crzyred
I'm lucky any of my clothes are clean, let alone wrinkle free!
I don't do the whole thinking thing!

Hello birdie friends. Hope everyone is having a nice weekend. Things here are very trying and tiring. Things with grandma have taken a rapid turn. We are looking at a matter of days with her now and we are just trying to keep her as comfortable as possible. She cant do anything on her own and she is ready to go Home. So I'm asking for some prayers please that her transition from her earthly life to her eternal one be smooth.
Thanks!
crzyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #2400
sarbah77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyred View Post
Hello birdie friends. Hope everyone is having a nice weekend. Things here are very trying and tiring. Things with grandma have taken a rapid turn. We are looking at a matter of days with her now and we are just trying to keep her as comfortable as possible. She cant do anything on her own and she is ready to go Home. So I'm asking for some prayers please that her transition from her earthly life to her eternal one be smooth.
Thanks!
*hugs* Shelly. Your grandma, you and your family will be in my thoughts!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: