Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #2011
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Mommy 3 View Post
Hey girls! I guess because of all the updating on the boards, I haven't gotten any notifications since early yesterday or the night before-not sure which...Sheree,...I don't remember why, but I think I remember her...Yes, hook me up so i can get so me info!!!
Mindy, that might be the week we are there,...wouldn't that be hilarious to Dis Meet in NYC!?
All I know is I want in & out before the heat strikes! I gotta deal with it here,.do NOT want to be miserable on vacation! We are thinkin about 4 days--but I am wondering if I should schedule a few extra days for other parts of New York..or would that be too much and save it for a diff trip? As i have said before, ds12 and I are both worried about being over stimulated and getting headaches while we are there-times Square looks ominous to us! LOL... That's one reason I have never ever wanted to go- but mike and ds16 loved it and think the kids and I should go at least once,.. I think me having a plan should help a lot-- I can control where we are for how long... I personally would love to just go and hang out at the NY Library every day! Call me a nerd!
And I am not a shopper...not like some of my friends anyway,..do y'all remember when they went 2 years ago and Mike bought me that Gucci bag at Saks?! that was so unlike him! or me!!!! I love that purse and still use it all the time!! i might want to peek in there and see where he shopped...but that's not gonna be the majority of the trip for sure!
I want to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge! I think that would be amazing! What should be do for sure in Greenwhich (Sp?) village? Just look or what?
And Oh My Gosh!! Grand Central Station!! i have always wanted to see that! Probably ride the Staten Island Ferry--not sure about the Statue of Liberty--I thought i read that it's gonna be closed for a few weeks or something? Maybe I dreamed it! Like those Disney nightmares we have right before vacation!
The hotels in Times Square are well-insulated for sound & light - they understand what the issue is. You shouldn't have any problem. And Times Square is a great place to be - you can get anywhere easily via Times Square.

A hint about getting around - I grew up in NJ and my dad worked in NY. He always said, "If you have time and money, you take a cab. If you have time and no money, you take a bus. If you don't have time, whether you have money or not, you take the subway."

If you can, I'd suggest going to the TKTS booth in Duffy Square (which is really part of the Times Square area) to get discount tickets for a Broadway show. There's nothing like Broadway. The booth opens around 10 for a matinee, and 3 for an evening performance, and it sells only day-of tickets.

But i also want to say, do NOT take children to see Mary Poppins! I know it's Disney, but other than the opening and ending, it is NOT the movie. It takes stories from the books (there are about 20 in the series) that were not in the movies, and much of it is very dark. My daughter & I were just looking at each other saying, "What???" It is also clearly NOT recommended for children under 7.

Newsies opened recently & we're seeing it next week. That might be one to check out.

Whatever you do, remember that, just like at Disney, you don't have to do everything!

snykymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #2012
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Such good advice!!!
I did the "zone" thing when we were in London. We did try to walk one time and it was MILES!! The poor kids! Our poor feet...

We saw Mary Poppins with our kids and it was a lot different. I think a lot of it went over their heads. But we had only seen the movie a couple times, so it wasn't like it was ingrained in their minds.

I'd recommend The Lion King if you can. It's just amazing!!!

Question for anyone - especially if you've stayed at Poly and/or watched fireworks from the beach.
I know they pipe in the Wishes music. Do they pipe it in if it's a party night, such as MNSSHP? I want to make an ADR for 'Ohana and then go down to the beach to watch Wishes, but it might be a party night and it would be Hallowishes. I want to make sure to hear the music. Someone told me at Cali Grill they had watched Holiday Wishes and was pretty sure they had the Christmas music piped in. We'll be going to MNSSHP anyway, but it would be better with the music, right?

ETA: Never mind. I asked on the theme parks board and someone told me they do pipe it in and also told me where to sit!!!

Last edited by Mndisneygirl; 04-15-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #2013
disneyshakeygirl
DIS Veteran

The thing with Mary Poppins is that the show is based off the books, not the movie. PL Travers hated the movie apparently, and thus the musical came about. Yes, it is definitely dark and not the cheery movie we all know and love. If you are considering going to see it, read the books first and make up your mind from there.

Newsies is apparently very, very good. A friend of mine went to go see it opening night, as he used to work with Disney Theatrical, and just raved about it.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #2014
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

I love the music from Newsies!! My older DD did a musical theater dance to Seize the Day and they had a companion dance with Kings of NY. It was really cute. They were dressed as the Newsies!
Old 04-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #2015
Monny2AE
DIS Veteran

I'd appreciate some prayers my Snowbird friends. Jason was laid off today. His last day is this Thursday so we weren't given much notice at all. Please pray that he finds a job quickly!
Old 04-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #2016
Pluto_fan
DIS Veteran

Oh, Kim! Definitely sending lots of prayers your way!
Disneyland Aug 2006, daytrip Mar 1989, daytrip Jun 1985, daytrip
Pluto_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #2017
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Prayers for you guys Kim.
Momof2Disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #2018
Lil'Mermaid75
DIS Veteran

Oh, Kim.....prayers coming your way.
Lil'Mermaid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #2019
MindyLuvsMickey
DIS Veteran

Thoughts and prayers for you, Kim.

Off-property '79, '83, '85, '87, '89, '95, '98, '07
'06 Poly, '09 WL, '10 Hilton DTD, '11 Poly, '12 Disneyland, '12 Poly, '14 WL
Up Next: Jan. 2015, CR!!
MindyLuvsMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #2020
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Kim, I am so sorry! Poor Jason! That was super quick! I remember last week you thought y'all were gonna miss the lay-offs!!
Can he still get his old job back? We will be praying for you!

I have read the Mary Poppins books to the kids-they are def different from the movie! But, I still loved them! I dont' know if we are gonna do a Broadway or not--we just have to work on our list first...

Today, is mine & Mike's 18th Anniversary!! Our whole bunch went out of town Sat and came back last night...we have all wanted to just go out of town and go do something out of the norm,so we went this weekend. Sat night the kids stayed in the room and watched a movie, and we went out and strolled around and talked...it was lots of fun!! We were ready to come home around 1 yesterday,.. We got the new camera last night!!! Decided on the Canon-charged the battery and was planning to start playing with it today. Didn't do it! Had other stuff to do and we are all dragging around due to our super gray and rainy day!!!

Also, gonna try and post a pic of a haircut...I tried to grow it out again,--Mike likes it okay when it's short, but better long...we were talking about it yesterday and he said<"Yeah, I forgot when it grows out what happens' !! LOL...It is so fine (not thin, just fine texture and we have tons of humidity) so it just lays flat and limp-- I have to have bangs, so put that with a pony tail/clip and I look 12. And it looks awful and stringy, so I am gonna go back to a bob... IF I can find the picture I like I will post it on here...if not, it's on my wall on my FB page... Also, when Chelsea Kane (Staub) got her bob, it's about that length... I am so used to my hair not falling down my neck, that this length is killing me!!! I can't believe it's gotten as long as it has....I didn't intend to grow it back out, I have just been too busy to tell her how I wanted it cut, and just got trims!

Disney Mommy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #2021
disneyshakeygirl
DIS Veteran

Kim, I'm ever so sorry! I'll be thinking about all of you.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #2022
Dancegrl624
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monny2AE View Post
I'd appreciate some prayers my Snowbird friends. Jason was laid off today. His last day is this Thursday so we weren't given much notice at all. Please pray that he finds a job quickly!
So sorry to hear this Kim. You guys will be in our prayers.

Completed Trip Reports
A Sept 2013 Solo Trip to the World It's A Cat World After All A Sept 2012 TRCelebrations Galore & Free Dining Too! A Sept 2012 PTR
Take Small Children By The Hand...a Sept Trip Report "I Want To Go Back!!!...a Sept 2010 PTR
Heat,Headaches but So Much Fun! My June Birthday TR Wishes Do Come True!...a Birthday PTR A Surprise Fit for a Princess...PTR and TR
1984-1st trip, 1987-offsite, 1991-offsite, 1992-Contemporary (won that trip!), 1997-ASMu, 2002-offsite (DH's 1st trip),
2006-offsite (DD's 1st trip), Jan 2009-offsite, June 2009- Birthday trip at Pop,Sept 2010-Pop Century,Aug 2012-Boardwalk Inn,Sept 2012-POFQ (DS's 1st trip),Sept 2013-CR (Earmarked Conference), March 2014-DCL AEP on the Magic
Dancegrl624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #2023
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Shoot Kim! That stinks! I will pray that something great comes along quickly for Jason!!!

Oh - Happy Anniversary Shawna and Mike!!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #2024
MAGGIED
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monny2AE View Post
So sorry... will be praying for a new opportunity to present itself soon!!!

MAGGIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #2025
MAGGIED
DIS Veteran

Hi Snowbirds! It's been a while since I have been on line... many things have happened in our lives the past year and we are finally getting to a place where life can be normal again (whatever normal is).

Since last we spoke... my mother in law passed away, my daughter moved to Buffalo to take a job and continue her graduate studies, and my son is finishing up his first year of college (very successful year).

Dan will be home from school in beginning of May and as a treat we are going to Disney memorial day weekend... he had a 4.0 in the honors program and played Division 1 golf and traveled alot... we are very proud of him...he picked up a minor in theology ...

we will be staying two nights at CSR and then three nights at AKL.... made some dining reservations... we are thinking of doing the Segway tour one morning... was looking at the parasailing but boy is that expensive... and we are going to play golf two days... my dad and his girlfriend are going to meet us there... will be tons of fun...

Hope everyone is doing well... have a magical day!

MAGGIED is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: