Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Where would you prefer to live?
Charlotte NC 3 25.00%
Charleston SC 7 58.33%
Other 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #1
DisneyDarling89
Earning My Ears

Moving Charleston SC vs. Charlotte NC

We are contemplating a move south, Charleston SC and Charlotte NC are at the top of the list. Does anyone have an live in the area? pros? cons? Thanks!
DisneyDarling89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

I live outside of Charlotte and have been to Charleston a number of times. Before answering your question I need to know why you are moving and what you are looking for in a place to live. What things do you like to do- entertainment, sports, etc
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2014, 02:03 PM   #3
jcano
Mouseketeer

I don't live in either have been to both.
The only thing I will say is that Charleston is very much a "tourist town" and thus everything costs more. It's beautiful, and we love visiting there; however, from talking with people who have moved there recently, the cost of living would be an issue to look at. Also...do you like HOT, muggy summers?

1993 Off-site, 2002 Off-site, 2007 ASMo, 2008 POP, 12/2011 POFQ, beginning to plan for November 2014
jcano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
skylizard
DIS Veteran

Those are two very different cities. Where are you moving from and what kind of a city are you looking to live in? Charlotte feels more like a true city with some good job growth and I would say an average home price. Charleston is more of a touristy area, and the job market would be a bit more difficult there. I'd say the housing prices are a bit higher in that area too. However, Charleston is quite lovely and you'd be right near the beaches.
skylizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #5
DisneyDarling89
Earning My Ears

Moving from the Northeast looking for warm weather and a fresh start. Currently torn between the city feel of Charlotte and Charleston's proximity to the ocean. My SO works from home and I will be looking for an entry level job until I go back to school and finish my degree. Entertainment wise we are hoping to spend more time outside enjoying the warm weather. We also enjoy trying new restaurants. Thank you for taking time to respond!
DisneyDarling89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
Patch'sD
DIS Veteran

I too am looking down South. Charlotte was to far inland for me as I do enjoy the ocean and look to be less than 1/2 Hour from it. I am looking more in the Southern Portion of North Carolina. As I work from home, I am taking my job with me and I am 5 years from Retirement. I like the Wilmington Area in the Private Communities that have been built there in the past 10 Years. I think that it offers the peace of a small community but close enough to the City and Raleigh to provide Good Medical Options as well as some culture. We are from the Suburbs of NYC so a little night life will be wanted. Housing seems to be affordable compared to here, about 1/2 the price for a little larger homes. Most of all I am looking for a maintenance free life style. Selling All Yard and construction related tools.
Patch'sD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
soccerchick
Dis Veteran
My husband has rice duty

Kids or no kids? No kids, Charleston. Kids, Charlotte.
soccerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:44 AM   #8
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDarling89 View Post
Moving from the Northeast looking for warm weather and a fresh start. Currently torn between the city feel of Charlotte and Charleston's proximity to the ocean. My SO works from home and I will be looking for an entry level job until I go back to school and finish my degree. Entertainment wise we are hoping to spend more time outside enjoying the warm weather. We also enjoy trying new restaurants. Thank you for taking time to respond!
You will probably like Charleston if being near the ocean and doing outdoor activities is important. There are a lot of outdoor things to be done around Charlotte but there is no ocean.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:07 AM   #9
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

Lived in the Charleston area from 1985-1990. Loved it.

Been back several times and it is a but more built up that I would have liked, but still nice. And you are closer to the beaches.

With children, I would pick areas carefully and monitor all schools you are zoned for. My mom moved is to North Charleston without paying attention and the school we would have gone to was awful. She snuck us back to our old school until we were caught and then broke our lease to move is into the proper zone.

Winter does get cold for me there, but nothing like the NE. I remember in fifth grade that it began snowing and they sent us all home early. Very very little snow on the ground. But alas--the south had no equipment. (We had just moved from Pennsylvania, so this was kind of funny to us.)
Lisa loves Pooh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #10
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Charlotte is an easy drive to Charleston. Also, good proximity to the mountains and all they offer.
You might be happy living in Charlotte and just visiting Charleston.
HM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #11
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch'sD View Post
I too am looking down South. Charlotte was to far inland for me as I do enjoy the ocean and look to be less than 1/2 Hour from it. I am looking more in the Southern Portion of North Carolina. As I work from home, I am taking my job with me and I am 5 years from Retirement. I like the Wilmington Area in the Private Communities that have been built there in the past 10 Years. I think that it offers the peace of a small community but close enough to the City and Raleigh to provide Good Medical Options as well as some culture. We are from the Suburbs of NYC so a little night life will be wanted. Housing seems to be affordable compared to here, about 1/2 the price for a little larger homes. Most of all I am looking for a maintenance free life style. Selling All Yard and construction related tools.
subscribing.

I'm sort of in the same situation. I plan on retiring and am reaching where I may want to land.
I'm going to check out Charleston over thanksgiving. I have a bunch of family in the area but most are elderly (fathers siblings).

I don't know much about Charlotte. my brother lives in Raleigh NC but he is moving for retirement. He says it's too slow for him.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:37 AM   #12
DawnM
Dawn

Depends on your job situation. Can you work anywhere without a problem?

We wanted to move to Raleigh but the jobs for DH were in Charlotte.

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: