Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
bellebud
DIS Veteran

gifts for 6yo boy battling leukemia

A dear friend's little boy was just diagnosed w/ leukemia 2 weeks ago. he's being very brave, but will be in the hospital 8 months minimum. His 6yo bday is also in Dec, so he'll be receiving LOTS of gifts for bday and xmas.

I'm trying to think of something to send for bday/christmas that won't just add to the parents job of finding places for all these toys/etc. I'm sure the parents will bring most things home, and rotate them throughout the months, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. They have x-box and wii available at the hospital, but I'm sure his family (lots of aunts/uncles) will be getting him whatever games he requests.

Any ideas for things that can help him pass the time, but not take up too much space in his small room? tia!
bellebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:19 AM   #2
quasar4legs
DIS Veteran

Sorry to hear about the poor little fellow, what a difficult time for his family.

I'm sure others with younger children will have better ideas but maybe some playdough, finger puppets, books, pencils, crayons, sticker books on favourite subjects, colourful socks and beanies.
All these things would fit into a small space.

Will be thinking of this famiy.

Hugs
Trish
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
DipsyDoodles
Mouseketeer

I know my nephew loves his baseball cards. He's too young to read them well but he spends quite a bit of time just looking at them. They sell them in boxed sets for all sports. If he's a sports fan he will probably love going through them and recognizing his favorite players. Best wishes to him and his family.
DipsyDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
mommasita
I am like HELLO IT IS TEN OCLOCK...Anderson is on

Has a sweetie who is Furbilicious

DISboards Moderator

That is a hard thing anytime, but around the holiday season even more so.

How about puzzles, and some arts/crafts he can do in bed, but with a table.
I was thinking of a PSP or a DSI, but not sure obviously on your budget.

You are incredibly caring, and I will this family in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
3BoysRDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

you are being so thoughtful! I would almost wait and get stuff to give him say, in March. By then he might be looking for something new and exciting and mom & dad won't have to store it.
Mason (6)
Wyatt (2)
Haden (the babe)
3BoysRDisneyFreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #6
In-need-of-vacation
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellebud View Post
A dear friend's little boy was just diagnosed w/ leukemia 2 weeks ago. he's being very brave, but will be in the hospital 8 months minimum. His 6yo bday is also in Dec, so he'll be receiving LOTS of gifts for bday and xmas.

I'm trying to think of something to send for bday/christmas that won't just add to the parents job of finding places for all these toys/etc. I'm sure the parents will bring most things home, and rotate them throughout the months, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. They have x-box and wii available at the hospital, but I'm sure his family (lots of aunts/uncles) will be getting him whatever games he requests.

Any ideas for things that can help him pass the time, but not take up too much space in his small room? tia!

This is hard, you just want to give him the world, don't you?

Do you knit or quilt? If he is going to be spending a lot of time in a hospital bed maybe having a nice cozy non hospital blanket, if that is allowed, would be nice. It isn't toys but you said he would be getting so many of those and this would be a different kind of comfort.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
nicolet
On the Fantasy in November!

Since I had Leukemia.......

I think the blanket would be good. The hospital blankets are terrible. I used to bring my own. Maybe you can make one of the double fleece tye blankets?

The best gift I received was from my family. I have 5 neices and 5 nephews. They made a huge poster size picture collage of everyone it was really nice. I later had to get rid of it because it was dusty. But took pics.

Flowers or balloons are a def. no-no. Flowers are very bad for a cancer patient with no immune system. The hospital will throw them out before they even hit the door.

I will keep him in our prayers.

nicolet is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: