Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #31
Safari Queen
Now 14 miles from my happy place.

For those with older actors, check out "Over the River and Through the Woods." It's two men & women in their 60-70's and one man & woman in their late 20's. It's incredibly funny and makes you cry...my favorite kind of theater. I was lucky to direct it twice and had a wonderful experience both times.

Getting young people into community theater is a challenge for most groups. We have groups for grades 1-12 and beyond, so that helps us, but they leave for college, get married and have children, which interferes with their theater priorities .

VWL Feb 04, OKW Oct 04, SSR Oct 04, BWV Dec 04, OKW Feb 05, BCV Sep 05, BWV Oct 05, BWV Dec 05, OKW Feb 06, BWV Nov 06, BCV Jan 07, BWV & DCL Apr 07, BWV Jun 07, F&W @ BWV Oct 07, AKL & OKW Jan 08, F&W @ AKV Oct 08, BWV Jan 09, AKL Concierge Nov 09; BCV & BWV Jan 10; BWV Oct 10; BWV Jan 11; Coronado Sp/AKL - Feb 12; BWV F&W Oct 12
Next - AKL Oct 13
Safari Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #32
Ello Poppet
Mouseketeer

noises off

Funny you should mention this show. My daughter's school did this show in fall it was amazing my daughter was Vicky/Brooke she had a awesome time! It's a great show
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2010, 06:55 PM   #33
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmdfw View Post
Actually, I am looking for shows to submit to direct for the local community theatre we've been working with. They've got pretty good set and costume resources, but limited space, and not a lot of budget.

They're advising us that they need to be shows that will sell well. So I'm looking for ideas. Shows that aren't "done to death" but are still fun and appealing. Oh, and I'm not looking for musicals, since there are a couple board members at the theatre that like to direct all of their musicals.

My thoughts right now are to submit The Foreigner by Larry Shue (a community theatre favorite, but not done in this theatre for at least 10 years); Crimes of the Heart by Beth Henley (this one has name recognition and they've never done it); Moonlight and Magnolias (the play is about David O. Selznik locking himself, Ben Hecht and Victor Fleming into his office to write the screenplay for Gone With the Wind in three days. It's a lot of fun); or Boeing Boeing (the stage farce that was the basis for the Jerry Lewis movie in the sixties. Recently revived to great reviews and box office on Broadway).

So, how about it theatre peeps? Any other suggestions?
Eliminating musicals makes this harder. How about a puppet show if you have any puppeteers among you?

Are the cast members to be male or female? For a show with female cast members and a tight budget, I would suggest something like "'Night Mother," which I did not expect to like when I saw the Sissy Spacek movie by the same title. Yet I did like it.

For male cast members, you might want to look toward Shakespearean plays. You could just remind people that it was the norm for men to play female roles in that era. Or how about Godot?
SanFranciscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #34
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

Just out of curiosity, how much do your theater backgrounds affect your living space? I find that I can often tell who is or has been in theater rather quickly if I see the inside of where they live. I kid you not that the homes of some people look scene-settings.
SanFranciscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:27 PM   #35
Safari Queen
Now 14 miles from my happy place.

Lol. My stage sets have gorgeous wall and floor treatments, while I've been planning and NOT painting my living room for 4 years! I'd be thrilled if my home looked as nice as the sets I design...but I'm too busy doing theater to work at home.

VWL Feb 04, OKW Oct 04, SSR Oct 04, BWV Dec 04, OKW Feb 05, BCV Sep 05, BWV Oct 05, BWV Dec 05, OKW Feb 06, BWV Nov 06, BCV Jan 07, BWV & DCL Apr 07, BWV Jun 07, F&W @ BWV Oct 07, AKL & OKW Jan 08, F&W @ AKV Oct 08, BWV Jan 09, AKL Concierge Nov 09; BCV & BWV Jan 10; BWV Oct 10; BWV Jan 11; Coronado Sp/AKL - Feb 12; BWV F&W Oct 12
Next - AKL Oct 13
Safari Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:03 AM   #36
brettystar
Mouseketeer

After doing non pro theatre from ages 11 - 24 I moved to Sydney to get an agent and become an actor. Didn't pan out at all - so now I just love seeing theatre. Favourite roles I played non pro included the Cowardly Lion in The Wizard of Oz, Reuben in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Bert Healy in Annie and Seymour in Little Shop of Horrors.
Favourite professional shows I have seen are Phantom of the Opera, WICKED, Les Miserables, Into the Woods, August:Osage County, Young Frankenstein and Xanadu.
brettystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:47 AM   #37
YenSid1222
I spent my life hoping someday my dreams would set me free, but now I am learning the true reality, that I can wish, hope and dream but its never meant to be...unless I believe in me!

I have been lucky enough to have been cast in a number of shows both when I lived in Orlando and here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Just recently finished JEKYLL & HYDE, have an audition for THE FANTASTICKS on Monday. Also see a lot...seriously A LOT of national tours and stuff on Broadway. I also like to catch stuff out of the country...did two London trips in 2010 and went to Paris to see Le Roi Lion (The Lion King in French).

Yeah, I am obsessed.
Disney Dream - 4 Nt Bahamas - October 2011 | Disney Wonder - 2 Nt Cruise to Nowhere - January 2011 | Disney Magic - 7 Night Repositioning Barcelona to Dover - June 5, 2010 | Disney Magic - Eastern May 9, 2009 | Disney Wonder - 3 Night Bahamas - December 11, 2008 | Disney Magic - 7 Night Eastern - April 14, 2007 | Disney Magic - 7 Night Western -February 10, 2007
YenSid1222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: